Legiones Astartes Command Squad Upgrades

I'm playing around with the idea of a Carcharodons army with mixed Primaris and Heresy armor patterns, and these guys would make a cool stand-in for Bladeguard imo. Kind of just waiting around for plastic MkV, which is the perfect armor mark for Carcharodons imo

It's hard for me to disagree with the people disappointed by the lack of some more blinged up artificer bodies, as well as the selection of weapons and shields. But if I'm looking for a silver lining here it's that besides the cool plastic banners and their toppers, those heads are pretty close to the Luna Wolf helmets seen on the False Gods cover art. (once you cut off the crest of course)

False-Gods.jpg

1 hour ago, Nagashsnee said:

What a massive let down.  If they had hinted or just stated it was a upgrade pack rather then a legion command squad it would have been ok. But they said command squad i expected a squad. 

There are three versions they're releasing: upgrade sprue, Mk3 box of 5, and Mk6 box of 5.

The upgrade sprue seems like a nice way to scatter some power weapons into Veteran Squads. I agree they're plain looking, but I think it fits the more mass-produced style of the legion-agnostic equipment. The idea seems to be that the Command Squad is meant to be more of a bodyguard unit than anything else (hence the shields). I do wonder if a Veteran Squad upgrade sprue is planned which would have combi-weapons and nemesis bolters. Or a Recon Squad upgrade sprue with nemesis bolters, camo-cloaks, etc.

28 minutes ago, Matcap86 said:

I initially thought so as well, but the Assault squad really throws a wrench in that logic. Maybe because command squads aren't that prevalent they went with upgrades and for breachers they might do a proper full squad?

I think it's because the Assault Marines have the torso-plate as part of the jump-pack harness design. I'm guessing they didn't make the arms a separate sprue for the same reason Tactical Squads don't have their arms on a separate sprue.

15 minutes ago, lansalt said:

eaglevssnek.png.92cc1225f2d3ca87afbc460d16fe0853.png

I wonder what's the in-universe reasoning for this icon on top of a banner. It works in the pages of the books as a visual metaphor of the conflict, but I can't see legions using it on purpose, except maybe the Alpha Legion or Blackshields

Badab or Scouring era stuff?

1 hour ago, Dark Legionnare said:

I got a bit hung up on: Thinking to himself, "DAMNIT, I LEFT THE STOVE ON" guy here.
image.png.12e85bf3b359299517feae14da906451.png

A, sadly, missed opportunity to have 1 bit from each legion on the sprue to make at least the top of each banner really sell the "Legion specific" command squad.

He looks like he is pooping his pants

One more reason I’m still unhappily sticking the options available to kitbashing the pre-Primaris scale. These arm poses are all so goofy to me, and the one bare head looks especially cartoonish. 

The grittiness that used to be characteristic of the Alan Bligh era seems to be totally lost in these.

I think the new vehicles and Mk VI look great, although I can’t figure out why they would retcon the lore to do that instead of simply design Mk II-V and release one of those first.

The assault Mk VI + Mk III, however, look ridiculous to me, and I keep hoping to be given a good reason to scale up, but I can’t deal with the what to me seems like simply the continued Marvelization of the aesthetic. 

For this kit specifically I dig the helmets, but agree with other Frater- 5 swords, really? Barely any shoulder pads. 

Do they not have top down criteria about what ought to be included in a sprue like this? I feel like they’re just letting designers ship whatever they think looks cool. Looks careless to potential consumers, IMO. Feels like the era of Apple removing ports to make things thinner just because.

Edited: just to add- that to the combination of techier looking weapons with the armor having more Gothic design was the correct juxtaposition IMO, like the older Mk III helmets and greaves, and now it seems backwards.

Edited by bloodhound23

I think it's fine, not amazing, but fine. It'll be more interesting as it ages, and you can do MK V and MK II command squads.

I think as these are a new unit, they want them less ornate than an actual command squad.

So the only thing that makes this a "command" squad is the banner right? Aesthetically there's nothing to make these guys out to be a Legion Command Squad, which is supposed to be a prestigious unit full of veterans (with the occasional new person but still)

If you removed the banner and told me this was just an upgrade sprue for Despoilers or something I would believe you. Except you know, there's only ONE pistol in the whole box

1 hour ago, corvus.calvariam said:

Was hoping for some slung bolters, with the kit as it is, you can't fully represent the squads loadout. Not sure how I feel about the example models not being WYSIWYG.

Honestly like always, go on the internet and check for 3D printed bits. You are sure to get them slung bolter there that will fit any type of pattern and armour. Again the community at the rescue ;)

Me, I like it: I like that it's an ungrade kit so I don't need to buy a whole box to get the stuff from it that I want, I like that it's so generic so that all legions can use them and that the shields and banners are so empty that you have lots of space to paint or put transfers on.

3 hours ago, Etruscan said:

Aesthetically it's not really screaming 30k at me.

What is it that you think are lacking? 

1 hour ago, lansalt said:

eaglevssnek.png.92cc1225f2d3ca87afbc460d16fe0853.png

I wonder what's the in-universe reasoning for this icon on top of a banner. It works in the pages of the books as a visual metaphor of the conflict, but I can't see legions using it on purpose, except maybe the Alpha Legion or Blackshields

I think the idea is that the eagle is the loyalist forces and the snake is the Traitor forces, snakes have apperaed as a symbol for them here and there and it was the Snake Lodge that helped turn Horus.

18 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

So the only thing that makes this a "command" squad is the banner right? Aesthetically there's nothing to make these guys out to be a Legion Command Squad, which is supposed to be a prestigious unit full of veterans (with the occasional new person but still)

There is also the helmets, and the powerswords, and any officers/veterans/honour markings you paint/transfer on them. And since part of the fandom have whined about that they think the new stuff is overblinged should this please them at least (oh, who am I kidding they will find a way to complain about it somehow)

Edited by Gamiel

31 minutes ago, Arendious said:

I definitely didn't have "fancy melee squad" on my Command Squad bingo card.

I was hoping we'd get a lot of "support staff" bits; scrolls, comm-helmets, another nuncio-vox, binoculars, etc.

Agreed, we could really do with more of the alternate poses and bits that primaris get - slung rifles, operating scanners, looking through binoculars, etc

1 hour ago, 01RTB01 said:

You're also forced into using the combat shields too as there's no alternatives there.

The cc weapon sprue better drop at the same time.

34 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

26 minutes ago, Arendious said:

I definitely didn't have "fancy melee squad" on my Command Squad bingo card.

I was hoping we'd get a lot of "support staff" bits; scrolls, comm-helmets, another nuncio-vox, binoculars, etc.

I think they're stressing Command Squad as Bodyguards over the rest of it. I always viewed a lot of the support staff roles as being covered by other units, specifically Centurion options like Siege Master, Herald, Master of Signals, Champion, and Armistos.

7 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Something I've realized is that the MkIII version of this kit will be very close to the now OOP Templar Brethren set:

I had a similar thought. Push-mold Templar crosses or something similar on the open areas of Mk3 torsos and the shields and that's all you need.

2 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

"A" Bolt pistol... Are they going to share?! They're less well equipped than WW1 Russians.

This genuinely was everything feared. An upgrade frame loaded with power swords and combat shields. Only 4 "artificer" pads and a few helms. Nothing to jazz up the legs or torsos.

It'd had been said before about the possibility of an upgrade frame and fears how they'd do artificer armour. Well, consider the fears realised.

I sincerely hope they don't make such a hash of the cc weapons sprue which I really hope we see soon.

"Later in the year" also is concerning as "soon" can be months. How long away is later in the year when it's slated for a spring release?

Between this and woken to the question of "Is giant man a good guy?" I hope the day gets better (first world problems acknowledged)

Yeah, they're continuing what they did with the assault marines where you either have the model holding the shield or holding a bolt pistol rather than both like previously.

Not a huge problem with the assault kit but this one it's either you have 5 holding shields or you have to source the bolt pistols from elsewhere........not like 4 extra bolt pistols would be to much to ask but I'm guessing their single sprue space priority was elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Waaagh? said:

one it's either you have 5 holding shields or you have to source the bolt pistols from elsewhere........not like 4 extra bolt pistols would be to much to ask but I'm guessing their single sprue space priority was elsewhere.

My head just assumed it'd be sword-and-board then put the holstered pistols on them from the Tactical accessory sprue (included in the 5-man box sets).