Legiones Astartes Command Squad Upgrades

I like it. I think I'm trying to get one of each mark. The helmets are the most remarkable bit, for me,  of this box. A model quite similar to False God's cover illustration.

Hope the price won't skyrocket...but statically are great those bits.

21 minutes ago, jaxom said:

My head just assumed it'd be sword-and-board then put the holstered pistols on them from the Tactical accessory sprue (included in the 5-man box sets).

Yep, that's what they expect you to do. It's more just a shame if you don't want shields the command sprue doesn't give you another option.

1 hour ago, Waaagh? said:

Yep, that's what they expect you to do. It's more just a shame if you don't want shields the command sprue doesn't give you another option.

That's because they are going to offer the plastic close combat set. Mark my words

10 minutes ago, Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf said:

That's because they are going to offer the plastic close combat set. Mark my words

Hopefully both drop at the same time. However, it doesn't rectify the lack of bolters - which can't be swapped out for cc/ pistol option OR the lack of artificer armour in the set.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

Hopefully both drop at the same time. However, it doesn't rectify the lack of bolters - which can't be swapped out for cc/ pistol option OR the lack of artificer armour in the set.

They've said you get the sprues to make 5 Tactical Marines in two of the three boxes, and don't those have the Bolters on their sprues? 

Artificer is represented by the helmets being a 'custom' design I suppose, although only getting two pairs of the unique pauldrons is a bummer. 

Admittedly I am kind of surprised at the complaints about the lack of bespoke artificer otherwise, considering everytime they make a Consul with a unique artificer design the threads are often full of "he's too overdesigned, he looks like a rejected 40k model!" or "he looks like a 3D print STL made to avoid copyright!"

Edited by Lord Marshal

It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with this. I had been hoping for an upgrade kit because there were always going to be complaints if it was done in a single armour mark. The modularity of the new 30k range is one of its greatest strengths and now people will be able to use this kit to make command squads in any armour pattern they want once more sets are released. I'm also a fan of the "less is more" part of 30k's aesthetic so the minimalist look suits me and my armies. The two banners and the interchangeable icons are fantastic.

That being said I would have liked them to provide a bit more in the way of options - more of those ornate shoulder pads, more variety in helmet design, a mix of melee weapons rather than just swords, and maybe some capes. The shields I don't mind as they've often been associated with command squads since 1.0 but it's a pity they take up space that could have been used for more interesting bits. And can't say I'm impressed by the single bolt pistol.

I'm also disappointed by the pre-order 'later in the year'. I hope that just means a couple of months but given their inability to keep things in stock and the upcoming AOS launch I wouldn't bet on it. At least it isn't "sooner than you think"?

We really need to see the melee weapons set/sets soon as well. This kit (and the assault marine kit) would be much more appealing if we had chainswords, chain axes, power swords, axes, lances, mauls, charnabal glaives sabres and tabars, lightning claws and power fists etc more easily accessible and affordable in plastic. It's such a gaping hole in the 30k range and we're nearly two years into 2.0 which just isn't good enough.

Edited by Marshal Loss

19 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

They've said you get the sprues to make 5 Tactical Marines in two of the three boxes, and don't those have the Bolters on their sprues? 

Artificer is represented by the helmets being a 'custom' design I suppose, although only getting two pairs of the unique pauldrons is a bummer. 

Admittedly I am kind of surprised at the complaints about the lack of bespoke artificer otherwise, considering everytime they make a Consul with a unique artificer design the threads are often full of "he's too overdesigned, he looks like a rejected 40k model!" or "he looks like a 3D print STL made to avoid copyright!"

They do but command squad marines default with bolt pistol, bolter and chainsword. The kit doesn't enable this to be shown on the mini. Yes you can equip the bolter but there's still the chainsword issue - bolt pistol can be shown by a holstered pistol at a push. Some over shoulder slung bolters would have been nice.

It's very tenuous though in my view. As to the "overdesigned" comments on the consuls, I haven't been in that camp lol. I'll simply have to 3d print and bling up these.

Despite my grumbles though I'll grab 1 pack for my bike command squad and 1 mkiii set for Saul's Command on Istvaan 3. 

8 minutes ago, Marshal Loss said:

I'm also disappointed by the pre-order 'later in the year'. I hope that just means a couple of months but given their inability to keep things in stock and the upcoming AOS launch I wouldn't bet on it. At least it isn't "sooner than you think"?

We really need to see the melee weapons set/sets soon as well. This kit (and the assault marine kit) would be much more appealing if we had chainswords, chain axes, power swords, axes, lances, mauls, charnabal glaives sabres and tabars, lightning claws and power fists etc more easily accessible and affordable in plastic. It's such a gaping hole in the 30k range and we're nearly two years into 2.0 which just isn't good enough.

Agreed on all points here. I really hope we see a good variety - even if it requires a 2nd set, I really hope they do them properly. Assuming next week we'll see cc weapons/ little horus/ epic stuff.

These are also the last things to come on the roadmap so hopefully we'll see a new one soon. I'm hoping we see the command squad in May latest with the cc weapns

11 minutes ago, Marshal Loss said:

more variety in helmet design, a mix of melee weapons rather than just swords,

You can use the Legions upgrade sets you know for that.

8 minutes ago, Gamiel said:

You can use the Legions upgrade sets you know for that.

Yes I do know that thank you, but I was referring to generic legion-agnostic helmets (like what we've got in the set, just more variety - why not a couple of helms each inspired by Mark II, III, IV, V, VI?) and generic legion-agnostic weapons that are currently not available in other 30k kits as opposed to seven more power swords. A little more variety than the style of grill would have been nice, that's all.

1 minute ago, Marshal Loss said:

Yes I do know that thank you, but I was referring to generic legion-agnostic helmets (like what we've got in the set, just more variety - why not a couple of helms each inspired by Mark II, III, IV, V, VI?) and generic legion-agnostic weapons that are currently not available in other 30k kits as opposed to seven more power swords. A little more variety than the style of grill would have been nice, that's all.

I agree. 

The infantry sprues are quite repetitive and modular. It would make a big difference if this was accompanied by some sources of extra plastic bits and customisation. A bit of spice goes a long way. I thought the command squad was an opportunity to fill that gap, and had hoped for something like the oldmarine sternguard kit. This doesn't bode particularly well for the close combat weapons sprue.

There also needs to be a weapons/heads/unusual arms (reloading etc) sprue for bolter dudes. A Veterans kit could be an opportunity for that but I'm not optimistic. 

There is a chance, not a huge chance, but a chance that the reason we haven’t seen a single Legion Specific unit replaced after being shadow removed is because they’re gonna be plastic upgrade sprues. That’s where we’d get the Sternguard-esque bits. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

10 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

There is a chance, not a huge chance, but a chance that the reason we haven’t seen a single Legion Specific unit replaced after being shadow removed is because they’re gonna be plastic upgrade sprues. That’s where we’d get the Sternguard-esque bits. 

I'd be fine with that; some flexible bits to make any potential jump squad of any mark into an Ashen Circle squad would be nice.

They'll probably be resin though, on account of them being legion specific.

I get how other are let down but it not being an actual new squad I am myself somewhat would have been cool for some artificer MKIII but I honestly love this kit! The Swords + Combat shields are BEAUTIFUL! Helmets are great bare heads are good lots of standard options I think all in all it’s a great upgrade sprue 

6 hours ago, bloodhound23 said:

One more reason I’m still unhappily sticking the options available to kitbashing the pre-Primaris scale. These arm poses are all so goofy to me, and the one bare head looks especially cartoonish. 

The grittiness that used to be characteristic of the Alan Bligh era seems to be totally lost in these.

I think the new vehicles and Mk VI look great, although I can’t figure out why they would retcon the lore to do that instead of simply design Mk II-V and release one of those first.

The assault Mk VI + Mk III, however, look ridiculous to me, and I keep hoping to be given a good reason to scale up, but I can’t deal with the what to me seems like simply the continued Marvelization of the aesthetic. 

This really resonated with me and is why I continue to source the old scale models for my projects mostly because of the aesthetic. I think the word 'grittiness' nails it really, some of the recent Heresy models have felt a little over embellished for my personal taste but I would say its a fine line and obviously very much a personal taste.

It's really disappointing that you are basically encouraged to slap these items on standard armour models. A couple of artificer armour torsos would have gone down a treat, provided they weren't dolled up like a Christmas tree, as seems the preference for the new HH aesthetic.

Well I kinda called it on this being an upgrade sprue. Glad they made a generic veteran command squad option to suit the kit a little better. Most legions do have better options for retinue units but I'm mostly glad that I already saw this coming and printed and converted a bunch of artificier bodies of my own. lol

It really looks great in Iron Warriors scheme wich is nice cuase they are one of the legions that gets alot out of command and veteran melee squads. If that picture is accurate I count 16 arms. Also nice.

Interesting that they included a tigris bolt pistol. Perhaps a mark 4 kit is on the way sooner rather than later.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

I like this kit, but wish it had more options for things like apothocaries and such. 

Edit: It seems like this kit will be very good for making or serving as the base for making a lot of special units.  

Edited by Marshal Mittens

42 minutes ago, Etruscan said:

This really resonated with me and is why I continue to source the old scale models for my projects mostly because of the aesthetic. I think the word 'grittiness' nails it really, some of the recent Heresy models have felt a little over embellished for my personal taste but I would say its a fine line and obviously very much a personal taste.

"Grittyness" would be down to painting style would it not?

21 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

I like this kit, but wish it had more options for things like apothocaries and such. 

Edit: It seems like this kit will be very good for making or serving as the base for making a lot of special units.  

In fairness, the command squad has enough options not on the sprues without adding things like Apothecaries lol.