New Space Wolf Codex

wisey1986

personally, I think we could do away with iron priests all together....I think techmarines are useless, and Iron priests are just as useless...but if an Iron Priest is necessary, I would prefer that they make him different from a techmarine (much like the wolfpriest is different from the chaplain...not quite sure how tho) Perhaps the Iron Priest cyborg wolves...that would be sweet?

• 2 years later...
remember SW are one of GWs favorite armies, they wont mess us up. and they know if they do thell have hell to do deal with.

:lol:

Im sorry... I just came to catch up today and I found this so funny.

How could we be thier favorite.

We have the OLDEST codex still in production (it was the Orks until last year when they got thier rebuild)

We have the OLDEST models still in production. (Trivia... when was the current Ragnar model first introduced?)

How can anyone say we are a favorite?

Anyway though, cant complain, friend who manages the local GW says I get my wish right after christmas... new codex AND model range dec/jan.

And hes already showed me the new wolf lord.... WOW!!

Also... some other things that I have heard as more or less 'official' rumor, again from a good friend of years who manages the local GW...

1) All Wolves lose True grit, but gain as basic weapons Bolter, Bolt Pistol, & Close Combat weapon.

2) Blood Claws lose the extra attack on charge, but gain Furious Charge as per 5th Edition rulebook rules for it.

3) Blood Claws squad size 10-20.

4) Dreadnaughts and V.Dreds -1 WS -1BS.

5) BJORN THE FELL HANDED is back! He should keep the higher WS/BS, be harder to kill, and possibly 13-14 armor!

6) Other old characters rumored to be back.

7) All units except for Grey Hunters lose Counter-Attack, but Wolf Guard have the option to 'buy it back'.

What?? Number seven reeks of bull****. Our favoured tactic is "A good offence is a good defence".

I heard that vanilla marines will gain the Counter-Attacks special rules so for a assault/short range fire fight. We should get a buffed version of "Counter-Attack".

Current word is armies that have the counter attack special rule at the moment get +1 attack when they counter attack, as if they charged, so that armies that currently use counter attack, aren't loosing their close combat strength. Wether that means the new C:SW will have something along the lines of a rule saying they get a bonus attack when counter charging, or that we just plain loose that advantage we had, I don't know.

Also... some other things that I have heard as more or less 'official' rumor, again from a good friend of years who manages the local GW...

1) All Wolves lose True grit, but gain as basic weapons Bolter, Bolt Pistol, & Close Combat weapon.

2) Blood Claws lose the extra attack on charge, but gain Furious Charge as per 5th Edition rulebook rules for it.

3) Blood Claws squad size 10-20.

4) Dreadnaughts and V.Dreds -1 WS -1BS.

5) BJORN THE FELL HANDED is back! He should keep the higher WS/BS, be harder to kill, and possibly 13-14 armor!

6) Other old characters rumored to be back.

7) All units except for Grey Hunters lose Counter-Attack, but Wolf Guard have the option to 'buy it back'.

Hmmm, it seems like there's a lot of rumors floating around. The GW manager up by me did tell me #1-6 of the above, however confirmed that space wolves will retain the counter-attack. he also said dont be surprised if you see the following:

1. No more storm caller. Rune Priests will most likely get a revamp of their psychic abilities

2. Wolf priest will finally get to be a bit more chaplain-y, ie officially gaining litanies of hate, that kinda thing.

3. complete revamp of Iron Priests (wouldnt go into details)

4. Also probable: no more scout OBEL, less special weapons per squad, long fangs will no longer be able to divide fire. In essence, wolves will be slightly more conformed towards standard marines. they will still have the close combat bite, just not as potent.

Now, that being said, he also mentioned to expect the codex right around xmas time with the new model range (which he said was god-like) to obviously follow close on its heels (typically these are released w/in 1-2 weeks of eachother). another two things that will also cheer the wolf in all of us. Plastic drop pods should be released around november ('official rumor'). and..............................coming sometime next spring or summer...................................plastic thunderhawks! obviously between now and then these concepts can be scrapped (think ork stompas and the apocalypse release), but the fact that they are considering it definately makes me happy. damn forge world and restrictive prices.....

Yeh I was having a conversation with a few of the staff in my local store today, and without giving me much in the way of specifics, basically said to expect wolves to become a bit more generic, but still retain our wolfy theme. I tell ya though, if they take OBEL scouts away from me my pups will be paying a visit to GW HQ :P

I don't mind loosing the Exterminator, pretty much expect it. Long Fang split fire loss is ok, IF they give them the extra wounds of an astartes Dev. squad, but its still way off fluff for L.Fangs to get those numbers. But OBEL scouts is a signature of a SW list. It's rare to see a SW list without an OBEL pack, and those players that do are generally considered to of had their head stuck in the ale for to long ;).

I seriously hope they don't make the SW a vanilla army with a dog theme...that just would be heart breaking. :ph34r:

Models with more dynamic poses would be nice. New Ragnar, Ulrik and the such.

Since I haven't played or look at the codex for several years, that is all I have.

I seriously hope they don't make the SW a vanilla army with a dog theme...that just would be heart breaking. :o

Since I haven't played or look at the codex for several years, that is all I have.

What I find funny is that guys have "rumors" of a codex that won't be out for over a year, but nothing on the codices and army books out within the next 4-6 months....

I think the reason they might ditch the OBEL scouts is that it becomes rather redundant with the new scout rules. If you read the battle report out of the newer white dwarf, scouts now have the ability to appear on a board edge as determined by a d6 roll. GW might figure that makes up for losing it (which it doesnt). Either way, it is still a rumor, albiet one I think will probably be true.

I seriously hope they don't make the SW a vanilla army with a dog theme...that just would be heart breaking. :P

What I find funny is that guys have "rumors" of a codex that won't be out for over a year, but nothing on the codices and army books out within the next 4-6 months....

Yeah, what about the other books due before that? Seriously, I have a hard time swallowing info that is said to have been obtained from someone who isn't involved with the developement of the product.

I hope for a change and for it to be in the right direction. Maybe some new fluff for our dear SW and a reinvision of an older character.

Someone suggested that maybe making Iron Priest different from regualr Tech-marines, this is a good idea. Like a hose for the Dreadnoughts to drink their ale. :o Or a mug holder for the SW helmets so they can have their ale and kill things too. Ok, got a little off my kilter there but had to while the idea was in my head.

Um, not sure what you mean by this, as 5th will be out in a week and rumors have been spoiling it for months. The new SM codex due after that also has little surprise left. The only other codex that might be out before ours is IG, and I've already heard about as much from that one as from ours.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about what will be in our new FAQ at this point. If they seem to do a nice job on it, meaning they actually put some thought into it and answer real points of contention, I think it will be a good indicator or what they intend our army to look like in the new book.

If our scout lose their OBEL, I'll chuck the biggest hissy fit since when I lost my 3 LRE. Our scouts should enter the board on sides that we decided so that makes our scouts more elite than other other scout.

Scouts are old and experience men aren't they? And age to us = wisdom and battle prowess.

Our scouts need something special... I mean... our scouts are ELITE old and wise troops... thier scouts are... well... puny weaklings playing at war... younger and weaker than blood claws.

Our scouts need something special... I mean... our scouts are ELITE old and wise troops... thier scouts are... well... puny weaklings playing at war... younger and weaker than blood claws.

Indeed. However, scouts will start being treated as elite choices as opposed to troops (see dark angels codex) due to the fact that fluff wise, it wouldnt be wise to send too many scouts into the field of battle as you typically dont want ALL of your neophytes to be chewed up in a single battle. How that makes them an "elite" is beyond me (0-1 or 2 troops choice?). but yeah, scouts are all phasing towards that elite roll. I couldnt agree more, however, that wolf scouts are far FAR above and beyond the typical scout choice. They are essentially veteran status as far as progression through most other chapters. I really hope they dont take away that truly elite feel completely....

Any word about adding 13th company "theme" to the new SW dex? I'd enjoy to keep playing my 13th company, even if it means I'd have to share room with some normal space wolves ^_^ . Just hope they don't get rid of the whole thing.

I think the reason they might ditch the OBEL scouts is that it becomes rather redundant with the new scout rules. If you read the battle report out of the newer white dwarf, scouts now have the ability to appear on a board edge as determined by a d6 roll. GW might figure that makes up for losing it (which it doesnt). Either way, it is still a rumor, albiet one I think will probably be true.

Keep in mind, that outflank(the new 5th ability for infiltrators and scouts) only comes on the board sides(depending on roll). OBEL would allow you to come from the rear. So if we lose it, it will not be because it is similar to the new outflank rule. Coming from the sides and coming from the rear are two big different things. Especially now that armor will likely not move as much v/s 4th edition, allowing for melta and Plasma pistols up the rear end.

I'm just now seriously getting into painting my Space Wolves after a long hiatus to play and paint Eldar instead. Is this a bad idea if we're going to be getting a new range of models in ~6 months? Will I just be wasting my time if the new models are going to be so kick-butt that the old ones will look stupid? Or should I use both that will just make more variety in the army?

NINJA EDIT:

BTW, where the heck do they get off lowering the BS and WS of our dreadnoughts? How the heck does that make sense and where would the justification come from? That seems completely pointless to me . . . and I'm really surprised no one else has called foul play yet.

Also, I am betting that we won't lose much ability to take the special weapons, it'll just be reworked. For example, one model in each unit will basically be required to be a veteran sergeant, aka wolfguard, and he gets special weapons options and then so does another model in the unit. So you still get two power fists/power swords in the group, or whatever, but you pay a little more for the upgrade to sergeant. Or something like that. If they take away the plethora of special weapons, then we are even worse than vanilla marines because we have no heavy weapons in our packs. If they take away the special weapons and give us heavy weapons instead, then how the heck are we any different from codex marines?

Is this the real direction that SM chapters like SW are going? Some friends of mine told me this but I doubt this seriously but really want to ask.

All Chapters will basically be vanillas except for the HQ you field? Meaning that if you field an HQ with certain special abilities that effect other units in your army, that is what makes them different? Is this what was meant when it was said that SW would be basically vanilla marines except for a few things? I am hoping my head hasn't been out of this much to have missed this...can someone clarify this for me?

welll from what i understand from the 5th ed.. all scouts are obel... so imagine ravenwing biker i think the all have scout.. so that would mean all their biker will be coming from behind you and charge. But all those rumor are hard to believe, but we wouldnt know till our dex come out. Lower the stat of the drednought is simply rubbish, so does all the unit losing their counter charge ability except for the GH. But they are all rumor.

For me, the biggest thing our army needs to retain in the next book is the extra special/ccw we are allowed to take in our squads. Without these, our army will lose even more its individuality and power. If they take away my 2 power fists and 1 Power weapon in my Blood Claws I will cry :(

PLEASE DON'T RUIN SPACE WOLVES GW, THEY ARE MY FAVORITE ;)

I don't mind our Blood Claws losing Berserk Charge and gaining Furious Charge (not really fluffy, but whatever), but we need those special weapons to make our army go. Without them, our army will be no better than normal marines with wolf pelts.

I also believe that it would be crazy for our army to lose counter attack. It makes perfect sense for spacewolves to have this along with the extra special weapons.

yup i agree.. those extra ccw make us unique. It will kinda sad having loose our differences compare to other chapter specially after waiting so long for a new codex.

personally, I think we could do away with iron priests all together....I think techmarines are useless, and Iron priests are just as useless...but if an Iron Priest is necessary, I would prefer that they make him different from a techmarine (much like the wolfpriest is different from the chaplain...not quite sure how tho) Perhaps the Iron Priest cyborg wolves...that would be sweet?

well brother i wouldnt say that Iron priest is useless. If our iron priest can take the servo harness tag together with repair servitor the can be nasty to. Take 2 vendre with TLLC standing in cover with your iron pries and those repair servitor behind... do you know what that mean.. it means you dont roll a double 6 for damage then you cant destroy it.

Archived