New Space Wolf Codex

wisey1986

Well you will probibly be safe with some standard Grey Hunters and Blood Claws and the like....I am just starting myself and I haven't even finished my first Grey Hunter pack but I don't care how the codex turns out I will stick with my Wolf Brothers to the end....

i am sure you have all been noticing the rumors for the new space marines. i noticed that some things in their ned dex would change to things like we have now, but according to many of the rumors i have read, those same things are going in the opposite direction (ex. the new SM: ven dred will have ws/bs 5 and ours is dropping to ws/bs 4). i was wondering if any one had any thoughts on that, to me they seem kinda strange.

i am sure you have all been noticing the rumors for the new space marines. i noticed that some things in their ned dex would change to things like we have now, but according to many of the rumors i have read, those same things are going in the opposite direction (ex. the new SM: ven dred will have ws/bs 5 and ours is dropping to ws/bs 4). i was wondering if any one had any thoughts on that, to me they seem kinda strange.

I hadn't heard anything to that effect, and besides, that would be just downright nonsensical. So far as just sticking to Hunters and Blood Claws to be safe, I already have the basic composition of my army in mind, I just don't know about the specific options for the squads e.g. how many power fists etc.

GI Joker,

I can wholeheartedly understand your concern. Along with my Wolves, I've also played Raven Guard with the old IA rules. Upon release of the latest SM Codex, RG lost their Surgical Strike rule with the trait that limited them to only 3 Drop Pods. Being severly pissed off, I converted to Blood Angels. With the White Dwarf Codex release I was stuck with extra Death Co.

So, yes, there's a possibility of drastic changes, such as Blood Claws going from 15 to 10. The power fist rule has me questioning how to equip my BC and GH. How will scouts be handled? Will they still get to operate behind enemy lines? If not, will I still keep them? My BA scouts are harldy used anymore except as snipers.

I suppose it all depends on you. Do you want to play Wolves now? Do you have the latest codex?

With the release getting pushed back further and further, you might be ok to build your army now, but don't be surprised when GW releases the codex and you have a bunch of useless models in your personal inventory.

TK

I suppose it all depends on you. Do you want to play Wolves now? Do you have the latest codex?

well i still am going to play i have over 2.5k right now and didn't know if any one had heard those same rumors. i agree with most of what i had heard. there were just things i was not sure about if any if any one else had heard.

I'd be surprised if they even have a start on the new codex. I'm sure with the new SM codex coming out soon, if they even started anything, it's all scrapped due to the revamp.

With a lot of speculation about Venerable Dreads, I'm hoping they bring back Bjorn, but the BA release nixed Moriar, so we'll see.

ThralKhan,

I think that you underestimate the intelligence of GW, many organizations communicate so that they can still work on other projects

I heard that it will be out during the summer of next year, It will be a while off, but they need to make a few codexes that are super old:

Dark Eldar, Blood Angels, Space Wolves

We are even shoved behind guard, so mid next year is when to wait for, but that is just what my manager told me

I don't even have the old codex any longer. Further more, they can't order any of the models at my store now. I had asked my friend to order a battle force for me but his rep said that they couldn't. I could probably get them online from GW, but I think I will hold off and just paint smaller sections of my army for the time being such as the forge world termies I ordered when they get here and a Land Raider Crusader I had laying around. But still, I've got a serious hankerin' for some Vikings in space. Oh, and I also just found out that I can't order blood claw shoulder pads or the classic metal minis any longer so I'll have to hand paint the pack symbols and scrounge around on eBay, respectively.

I heard there aren't going to be any "list-breaking" changes to the Wolf 'dex when it comes out. In other words, don't worry too much about making Wolves now and regretting it in the future.

The main change I've heard of is that Blood Claw squads can be 20 men now, and wolf guard in PA and TDA are separate unit entries now. Take that and the newer focus on 5 or 10 man squads in stride, and you can future-proof your army to a good degree.

I'm hoping there will be a special character that will allow us to take Wulfen as troops...just in case there are those of us who still want to play 13th Co.

I never liked the rules for MotW and would much rather have a squad of wulfen than a confusing rule.

Well the problem is that Space Wolves as a whole don't don't accept Wulfen in a combat role. Mark of the Wulfen has a troop turn into a Wulfen or turn more feral in the midst of a battle, but thye don't take actual turned Wulfen into battle, except for 13th Co.

I'm really hoping for more of an inclusion of fenrisian wolves and wulfen, even if you have to take a special character (like you need for salamanders and iron fists, etc.) so you have the option to take these units, but aren't able to take certain things like tanks, is fine with me. I just don't want to see them get rid of all together.

I'm really pulling for some amazing psychic abilities, I mean we've probably got the coolest ideas for making some really unique powers and we get a Ld9 caster who spends all his time casting a dandruff storm that causes more confusion for his own troops than it does the enemy.

I heard there aren't going to be any "list-breaking" changes to the Wolf 'dex when it comes out. In other words, don't worry too much about making Wolves now and regretting it in the future.

they said the same thing before the DA dex [people with illegal RW armies] chaos codex[dont even make me start on the legion armies or those poor EC schmucks who bought FW parts that make their army illegal now ] , they are saying the same thing about the sm dex now [ i wonder how those peeps with ccw/pistol armies or apothecaries in everylist will feel like after the dex comes].

they are going to lower the number of speciall power weapon weapons for sure [general thing they do to 5th ed dex ] . some gear will go away or be taken instead [like plasma pistols taken instead of power weapons/specials etc] . if someone has an sw drop pod army build around GH squads [not the best thing in the 5th as an army build around PF armed BC is better] he would be in for a huge change [and you have to remember GW is all about selling models and army books , they are not going to sell an army that they wont have new models for ].

I would imagine Grey hunters will have their options changed, but I doubt that the ability to take 2 power weapons/fists will go away. I do think the option will probably be plasma pistols or power weapons.

If the rumors about the new SM codex are true, I'm not worried much about the SW codex. The change in design style from the DA/BA lists and the rumored new marine dex is huge.

All i'm really hoping for is the inclusion of some fluffy special characters....i was kicking this around in my gaming group, the notion of having a good majority of the wolf lords dealt with and each one giving your wolf army a certain taste from that lord...and then some sick new mods...

Archived