New Space Wolf Codex

wisey1986

While we're all waiting for our new 'dex, you guys should try using the Chaos Marine's. I am using it as sort of a stand in like this:

Wolf Lord = Chaos Lord

Wolf Priest = Chaos Sorcerer

Wulfen = Possessed

Scouts = Chosen

Grey Slayers = CSM with Mark of Khorne

Blood Claws = Berserker's

The obvious stuff like dreads, predators, land raiders all have their chaos equivalents anyway so no need to "replace" anything in the codexes. I know that doesn't make up for the fact that we really dont have a codex at this point, but at least allows for a more current version of rules

So, they've released a spoiler of what's to come with the new Marine Codex...

Here's my newest worry:

Scouts are now WS3, BS3. I hope GW takes into consideration that SW Scouts are not inexperienced whelps and should stay BS4, WS4.

Drop pods carrying 12 make for an interesting list as well...I'll enjoy filling one up with 12 BC.

Here's my newest worry:

Scouts are now WS3, BS3. I hope GW takes into consideration that SW Scouts are not inexperienced whelps and should stay BS4, WS4.

Wolf scouts will have to stay at WS4 and BS4 as they are not inexperienced whelps and GW would get such a fuss from all wolves out there it would not be worth it in my opinion

Icewolf

i have to agree on both accounts. they should still be ws4, but gw doesn't really care what we think and if it changes it changes. though, i am starting to get worried about our new 'dex. i didn't think we would get it till next year, but fall next year makes me very sad. and at the same time pissed. just cause i have also heard DE, IG, and even new orks (just models) are going to be coming out next year too. if that is the case i don't think we will see them even next year. i still plan to use my SW but i feel i keep falling behind in different ways. i have won some games, i just hate trying to explain all the out-dated rules to people. i hope we get some good FAQ with the new C:SM, just to help clear some stuff up.

Ullr

Well lets look at it this way, Wolf scouts are a totally different story than SM scouts. They're elites, SM scouts are troops. Ours have different wargear, and can OBEL.

We don't use SM scouts entry for using OBEL Wolf Scouts, so no need to lower WS and BS and they can't do that unless it comes out in an FAQ.

As for using chaos for 13th company, you could do that, but only if you want to make god cry... and by god I mean Russ.

i just hate trying to explain all the out-dated rules to people.

I know what you mean, a buddy of mine plays SW's and 13th Co. and some of the SW special rules are made useless, hard to play, or confusing in the context of the 4th ed and 5th ed rule books.

Well then you guys will have to forgive me for using C:CSM. I work for GW and with new players wanting to play the 'Wolves I tell them to either hit ebay or use the Chaos 'dex. They could technically use the standard 'nilla marines, but where's the fun in that? :)

The German site. I personally wouldn't freak out if I saw someone using a pdf, but it would be better to check with GW's legal team. I suppose that if you were at home with friends it wouldn't matter, but I wouldn't suggest taking a pdf to Gamesday or anything. I am not a copyright lawyer though so I have no idea the correct answer for that one.

You can also get the pdf from GW Canada. If memory serves me right you find the space wolves section on their sight and put the codex in your shopping basket (its free). When you check out it asks for your email address and then you'll receive it soon after that.

You can also usually find it on ebay for between $10-20.

(are you happy Max? :rolleyes: )

The PDF they send you is a poorly scanned version of their own shop copy

It is the revised version though

I was kindly sent it from another member of this board because I have the first printing of the book

D.

is there a definite (or approximate?) date for the new wolf dex? want to know if its worth me getting my wolves now or to wait a bit until the new dex...

it looks like it wont be out until next fall, unless gw is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

yep, that's what I heard too. Looks like my boys will be shelved till the new dex comes out :D

No reason to put them on the shelves man, they're not bad at all in 5th edition.

So far I have a higher win % ratio than I did in 4th, but I also was facing more and more people that were getting attuned to the new rules which I had a few months in advance.

The key is to start taking units that you might not have in 4th and add more grey hunters to it. Aka, my long fangs have seen more games, my fenrisian wolves for HQ's, and whirlwinds.

I wouldn't hang your hat on next fall. It could be end of 09, start of 10. SW need an update, but there are still some competitive builds out of it. And, we still get discounted wargear to help out. Rumor is that the new models haven't been started, which makes me think we're at least a year away.

2 models? (I was under the impression they had an entire range)

On the other thread about this it said orks were getting new models AGAIN before us. They alreadly have a shiny new dex and tons of nice models. I'd still rather wait to get a really nice dex a models because they will probably not update us for at least 5-6 years though. Also I think that our new stuff is coming out soon cause CSW and SW battleforce are OOP in most places.

The Orks were released in waves. The new models you're referring to are 2nd wave. I haven't been told what they are so no info there until it becomes public. As far as dates for the 'Wolves, it was mentioned at a games day product brief that they are "on the horizon". The good new is that the Sons of Russ will be getting some love, however the "horizon" is no where near a concrete date and probably a while out.

Has any one heard anything about us getting an update in White Dwarf similar to like the Blood Angels? I don't want to start unfounded rumors but I think I heard some one say that was a possibility.

Yeah I heard rumors of that when the BA soft codex came out...but then, I heard rumors that all Codex Marines were going to be like that. Then I also heard that the Space Wolf codex was supposed to be during this time frame and you see how that's going.

I guess when something comes out in White Dwarf then we'll know.

I'm surprised. For the cost of the new Blood Angel codex (nothing except ink and paper for the printer) I'm surprised people weren't happy.

It's not the high quality $22 Codex filled with fluff, but I enjoyed just having to print the latest edition when 5ed FAQ came out.

I have mine in a binder and if it gets lost or wrecked, then I print off another copy.

I can also rearrange the pages the way I want for ease of reference.

Archived