WIP scrap/scratch built Khorne Dreadnought

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have had a lot of commision work to get finished and still do. I took the opportunity to do some concept testing on the dread today while I was waiting for some undercoated minis to dry.

Please keep in mind that the weapon is only in the concept stage, as are the start of the feet.

Here are a couple of pics of what I have been looking at doing.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/18-06Update2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/18-06Update1.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/18-06Update.jpg

What do you think?

Interesting, although if it's a grasping claw you might want the teeth facing inwards, it would be more logical, but it would probably also look worse.

The fist part will need bulking up in my opinion, but it's a good start.

What kind of weapon will you use on the other side?

Thanks for the reply guys.

I would love to drop the commision work and continue working on the dread, but my wife and I are expecting our second child and we need the money. I was actually telling Bloodwraith how much I wanted to drop it all and keep working on the dread. :) :no:

The fist is made from an old radio control car shock tower and will be bulked out when I get to do some more work on the dread.

I am still not sure exactly what I will use as the second dread CCW, but I want it to be either a choppy or drilling type weapon. I have had a few ideas that may work, but I have to check the bits boxes to see if I have the parts or if I need to scratch build them instead.

The chainswords were positioned facing out because I really wanted the dread to look as though it was able to keep shredding other troops and tanks while it had something in it's grip.

I have been looking through my bits boxes to find the actual chainswords I wanted for this Dread CCW. I found them and have made the change to make it look more nasty. I will now be looking at the pnuematics of it to see if I can make it look as though it is capable of opening it's fingers really wide to grab it's victims.

Here are the pics of the changed fingers so far. What do you think?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/19-06Update2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/19-06Update.jpg

And now for that all important size comparison. He is a really BIG boy. :blink:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/19-06Update1.jpg

The dreads legs look a little odd, but that is probably due to the lack of leg guards.

Could you take a quick pic of it with the shinguards on?

I only have the shinguards that I was using to get an idea. I have to custom make new ones that are better suited. I will try and get a pic with them though.

I am considering extending the lower leg section, but not sure I want to just yet.

He is a really BIG boy. :)

Its like someone fed that dreadnought a bunch of Protein and DGH (Dreadnought Growth Hormone)!

Really nice work man. Much better then I think I could do. Out of curiosity you mention you didn't get much work done on the dread cause you were busy with commission work. Is that miniature commission work? And if so is that your only job or just a way to pay off the expenses of this overly expensive hobby? If such question bother you feel free to either email me the answers or call me a quack and never answer.

My god, that thing is getting massive. I can't wait to see it finished. Love the CCW.

I really think it wouldnt hurt to add just a little length and bulk to the legs though. The way it looks now, the legs prolly couldn't support the body, and if they could, it would never get anywhere because its moving so slow.

Just my 2 cents, can't wait to see the end result.

Chuck

I really think it wouldnt hurt to add just a little length and bulk to the legs though. The way it looks now, the legs prolly couldn't support the body, and if they could, it would never get anywhere because its moving so slow.

The legs will have bulk added when I do all the pnuematics work. I really don't want to add length tothe legs if I can avoid it, mainy because I will have to find different materials to do it as I am almost out of the tubing I have used and I am trying not to spend any money on this project. The whole thing is made of leftover bits, sprue, blisterpack plastic and whatever I find lying around the house.

Out of curiosity you mention you didn't get much work done on the dread cause you were busy with commission work. Is that miniature commission work? And if so is that your only job or just a way to pay off the expenses of this overly expensive hobby? If such question bother you feel free to either email me the answers or call me a quack and never answer.

I don't mind answering.

The dread started as a project for an army I wanted to do, but I have been given a very good offer to buy it when it is built. The buyer has stated that he doesn't care how long this takes and the other work I an doing for him is more important anyway. He wants the dread for a Khorne army he has been wanting to finish.

As well as doing work for the person mentioned above, I have projects on the go for another 2 people and am in negotiations for another contract.

Commission work is the only job I have. Although, being a stay at home dad is like a full time job and my son takes priority over everything else and all my clients are informed of that before any commission job is agreed upon. :teehee:

I do commission work to help out with the household expenses and occassionally buy myself some new minis. I have a lot of stuff from before I got together with my partner and tend to trade it if I want something new to avoid spending any money on the hobby. :(

I think I got to all your questions BOBMAKENZIE. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I have been caught up with doing some other work. I can give just a little update, but no pics because I can't find my battery charger for the digicam batteries.

I have been doing some more work on the arm and have also done a little on the feet. Added some little claw/talon type things to the front of the feet.

Thanks for your interest. Will add pics as soon as I can.

Okay, got a couple of pics from my camera. Went and stole the batteries out of the remote control, just don't tell my wife. :D

I only have a little update because I have been busy on other projects.

First up, I have done some minor work to the claw arm to make it attach to the elbow joint a bit better, (well, I think so anyway).

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/11-07Update1.jpg

Started work on the second close combat weapon. I took a CSM vehicle hatch and 3 SM chaiswords, cut the teeth off the chainswords and glued them around the rim of the hatch. I need to find another hatch to add to the opposite side that will be converted the same way. I will add a third disc with larger teeth in the middle once I have completed the second hatch.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/11-07Update2.jpg

The feet have had minor work done with the addition of the claw/talon type things, but I'm not sure if the will be staying this way.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/11-07Update3.jpg

And the obligatory front on pic. ;)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/11-07Update.jpg

Hope you all like it. I have only done a little more to it and there is still a lot to do, especially the arms and legs. As always, all comments and criticsm welcome.

I'm impressed by the amount of work it must have taken you to glue all those teeth to the hatch. Very cool, great idea.

The claw arm looks a lot better.

That other arm looks a bit spindly to me however, if you could find more tubes to bulk the forearm up that would be great. Also, as nice as the hatch looks I believe it would benefit from a housing for the spinning blade. This would also help to bulk it up.

I'm not sure if I like the feet, they don't really look solid enough in my opinion, they look like weird bat claw/clown shoe things. Maybe hooves or shorter claws would be better...

Anyways, glad you could post up some progress. Hope my criticism isn't too annoying. I like what you're doing.

Have you thought about the fact that Dreads have stormbolters or flamers attached to their CCWs? You might need to attach some of those.

Thanks StratoKhan, your criticism is not annoying at all, it is encouraged. I am glad you took the time to let me know what you think and happy that you like the project as a whole.

The forearm of the second close combat weapon is actually going to be very different, for a start, that white tubing will be replaced with a more sufficient and sturdy construct with the basic structure to be made from sprue. There will be a second spinning blade constructed like the one already in place with a third, larger one in the centre. A full motor housing will be added at the base of the blades as well.

The feet will be getting a lot more attention too. The claws/talons will be bulked up as well as having some extra work done to make them look more sturdy where they meet the main foot.

The combi-bolters will be added towards the end of construction, but before final detailing. I am not sure of exactly how I will position them on the arms yet, but will probably have them positioned to come out from the lower section of the shoulders. Have been considering putting them at the base of the shoulders too.

A little secret about how I glued the teeth to the hatch:

I didn't glue them individually. Instead, I cut the chainswords so that the teeth came of in a strip. I then shaved a little plastic away at a time so the strip was very thin. To glue it to the hatch, I put a little dot of superglue on the edge of the hatch and stuck the end of the strip down and let it dry. Once the end is glued in position, I put a very thin line of glue on the hatch rim and bent the strip around it and let it dry. It required 3 chainswords to complete the hatch rim, but they fit almost perfectly. I had to trim the last strip a fraction to get it to fit properly.

Very impressive so far, Baldric. I really like the buzz saw CCW. Very nicely done.

As to the feet, might I suggest that you include some sort of rear claw to help balance out the feet. In nature, most raptors, birds, and even in pictures of the dinosaurs, they all have some sort of rear claw. Ostensibly, it is to help secure prey, but I think that it also helps them with balance. The rear claw helps prevent them from falling backwards or off balance. The front claws also look a tad big. Maybe shorten them a touch.

Great job. Keep up the good work.

Quote by Bloodwraith:

If anyone wants to blame anyone for lack of progress you can blame me, i talk to much and i change my mind even more often and baldric has permission to keep me in line with a two by four, it's a full time job.

And when you see Bloodwraith, feel free to hit him once with that 2x4 for me. :P

Renn

Very impressive so far, Baldric. I really like the buzz saw CCW. Very nicely done.

As to the feet, might I suggest that you include some sort of rear claw to help balance out the feet. In nature, most raptors, birds, and even in pictures of the dinosaurs, they all have some sort of rear claw. Ostensibly, it is to help secure prey, but I think that it also helps them with balance. The rear claw helps prevent them from falling backwards or off balance. The front claws also look a tad big. Maybe shorten them a touch.

Great job. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Renn. I will be adding talons to the rear as well, just need to find or make some the appropriate size. Also, the front ones will look a little shorter once I add the parts to strengthen them. The feet will be made a little wider at the main part to balance out them out.

Quote by Bloodwraith:
If anyone wants to blame anyone for lack of progress you can blame me, i talk to much and i change my mind even more often and baldric has permission to keep me in line with a two by four, it's a full time job.

And when you see Bloodwraith, feel free to hit him once with that 2x4 for me. ^_^

Renn

Damn, you should have asked me last week, he was staying at my place. :confused:

Good to see you around mr slacke... i mean Renn :)

Baldric: hey bud looking really good here, i was having a think about the fist with the chainsword blades on it and i finally realised what the issue is with it. It needs something attached to each of the chainswords so that they can pivot open and closed.

Keep up the good work or i will have to come and beat you with a two by four, after all... i know where you live.

Archived