WIP scrap/scratch built Khorne Dreadnought

You're gonna hate me...

I liked better it when he was shorter... *cringes from blow* For some reason he looked more Dread-like when he was a bit shorter. New shins are nicer though.

Thanks to you, I know why the legs appearance make it look more like a robot and less like a dreadnought. I went and made some careful comparisons between this dread and a GW one. The problem is that the legs are now noticably longer than the body, when a normal dreads legs length is equivelent to the height of the body.

The question I find myself asking is, "do I really want to adjust the legs again?" The answer is yes, I do. Not sure if I will though. If I do adjust them, it means cutting the new shin guards down, which is something I am worried about doing. I will think on the issue for a while before I do anymore leg adjustments. Thanks again StratoKhan. :D

Personally I am still not a fan of the claw feet.

I do agree on this point and I will be changing the claw feet, I just haven't gotten to it yet. :P

Glad you like the shin guards.

Well, the plan, when I get the time, is to repostion and adjust the length of the legs, rebuild the feet and re work the chain-claw weapon. I will also be trying to give the dread a more dynamic pose overall. I will get an update done as soon as possible.

InKaras: I am looking at ways of making the chainsaw claw arm match the saw arm in size and manacing appearance. If I can't do it successfully, I will be trying a different style CCW for that arm.

Commander Trask & Capt. Taurus: I agree that the sprue shin guards didn't quite cut it and the original ones looked better. Unfortunatly, the originals didn't curve back far enough and bending them wouldn't have helped resolve the problem. Having extended the legs has also made them too small. I have made another set of shin guards and hope you like them. I still have to GS the gaps in them, but as with all the other GS work that neds to be done, I willl be leaving it until the dread is nearly finished.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/22-07Update.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/22-07Update1.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/22-07Update2.jpg

All comments and criticism welcome.

now THOSE are shin guards to be proud of!

they could do with a litte widening at the sides, but they fit the sceme all in all and work better, a deffinate improvement.

As far as the defiler leg guards went originally, just heating up the plastic slightly in the centre would have helped to bend them (hot water from a freshly boiled kettle is usually sufficient to bend the stuff) but im liking what I'm seeing now, however i will agree with Strato about the height thing, but you've mentioned that your gunna re-work the lower legs and feet, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I like it, the only things I would consider changing are the claw hand (the first idea was better, with the crushing side and the chainsword backhands) and the feet need a little extra work so they won't break, but i do like the clawed feet.

That is awesome. THe only thing I would complain about is the chainsword-arm. Perhaps its just because it doesnt have circuitry yet, but I think you really need to make that thing huge and suited to khornate slaughter, like the buzz saw.

now THOSE are shin guards to be proud of!

they could do with a litte widening at the sides, but they fit the sceme all in all and work better, a deffinate improvement.

As far as the defiler leg guards went originally, just heating up the plastic slightly in the centre would have helped to bend them (hot water from a freshly boiled kettle is usually sufficient to bend the stuff) but im liking what I'm seeing now, however i will agree with Strato about the height thing, but you've mentioned that your gunna re-work the lower legs and feet, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Glad you like the new shin guards, not sure they need the widening myself, but I will take the time to look at it.

Regarding bending the other ones, even though it is easy to bend them, once bent, they don't have the length to wrap around very far and wont offer much protection from the side.

I like it, the only things I would consider changing are the claw hand (the first idea was better, with the crushing side and the chainsword backhands) and the feet need a little extra work so they won't break, but i do like the clawed feet.

I do like the first idea better myself, but I will be looking at some different weapon ideas for the claw arm. Particularly ways of beefing it up, but I'm not even sure I will keep it as a claw, which is half the reason I haven't done anymore work on it.

I'm not 100% sure of what I will do with the feet yet, but I'm not happy with them.

That is awesome. THe only thing I would complain about is the chainsword-arm. Perhaps its just because it doesnt have circuitry yet, but I think you really need to make that thing huge and suited to khornate slaughter, like the buzz saw.

Yeah, it looks a little weedy at the moment, but as I said in reply to NemFX, I am looking at different ideas for this arm and not sure if the claw will stay.

Dude... Love the huge dread. :wacko:

Looks like we might have our Venerable Ones meet sometime. hehe.

What a memorable battle it would be between them, reguardless of victor.

Rymeer

Glad you like it. Your dread is great. I think it would be awesome seeing these 2 battling each other.

Personally, I think that the legs would fill out some and he wouldn't look semi top heavy, if he had a codpiece... Worked for rock-stars in the 80's. Why not a dreadnought?

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure that a codpiece will really help fill out the legs, but I will definately look at what I can do. The hip section isn't wide enough at the moment, but I am looking at how I can widen it without too much work.

Good Work. That is a really awesome dread and a great idea to get rid of some execive sprue!!!

Thanks mate, gkad you like it. I have some other sprue project ideas and I am collecting a ton of sprue for the next one. :pinch:

This project will be on hold for a little while again as I have more deadlines for commission jobs approaching. I will give another update as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all the support and advice everyone. I really appreciate the support.

Personally, I think that the legs would fill out some and he wouldn't look semi top heavy, if he had a codpiece... Worked for rock-stars in the 80's. Why not a dreadnought?

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure that a codpiece will really help fill out the legs, but I will definately look at what I can do. The hip section isn't wide enough at the moment, but I am looking at how I can widen it without too much work.

heres an idea.. do like side panel skirting (like the new terminator models have on the thighs.. it bulks them out a bit at the hips, try something like that on the dreads hips maybe?

Glad you like it Evil eyeball.

heres an idea.. do like side panel skirting (like the new terminator models have on the thighs.. it bulks them out a bit at the hips, try something like that on the dreads hips maybe?

Interesting idea and it may work, but I'm not really a fan of it on the Termies and I'm not sure I can find a way to do it so I like it in the dread. I have been looking at doing it though, just not sure if it is the way to go. Thanks for the idea.

The thing I a more likely to do however, is to cut down the centre of the groin area and widen it slightly and add a sort of cod piece sort of thing. It is looking like the easiest way to go at the moment, especially as I intend to add more armour there anyway.

For the left combat weapon, u could do a pincer sort of thing, (more heads to decorate Khorne's Throne with), or going along with the talons on the feet, u could do sort of a claw thing like that with chainsaws on the side(like the circle blade on the right). But thats' just my opinion. If u like it, go with it. Btw, aamzing models, before this thread the only thing i could think of to do with sprue parts was to use them for injured sm's arms or legs, or make studs and use them for bases. :D

Hope this helps,

FOE

Hmm, I like the pincer idea and will look into what I can do.

With the feet, I was thinking of doing something similar to what you are suggesting. Not sure I can explain it well, but what I was thinking is to use thechainswords facing upwards as toe sort of things.

Glad you like the dread and happy to see it has opened your eyes to new uses for sprue.

Thanks,

PB.

Just a small update on what is happening with the dread. I don't have pics at the moment, it's all in the concept stage at the moment.

I have been looking at the second DCCW. I am considering dropping the claw idea all together as I am having trouble resizing it to make it fit.

I am thinking of changing it to a duel chainsword style weapon or a massive drill cone style drill. I have a few ideas that I have been doing test assembling on, but nothing final has been constructed yet.

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just a small update on what is happening with the dread. I don't have pics at the moment, it's all in the concept stage at the moment.

I have been looking at the second DCCW. I am considering dropping the claw idea all together as I am having trouble resizing it to make it fit.

I am thinking of changing it to a duel chainsword style weapon or a massive drill cone style drill. I have a few ideas that I have been doing test assembling on, but nothing final has been constructed yet.

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Big drill? ooo... show big drill show show

I've been watching this topic from the start, and I must say, the end result is truly awe-inspiring. Since you're going with a different weapon for the right arm, I highly suggest the drill; a giant drill would be awesome and incredibly intimidating, not to mention that there is a perfect piece for such a drill- fom an old set of Lego figures, called Rock Raiders. Here's a pic of the drill piece:

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/4970-1.jpg

Obviously you'd neet to put a tip on it, but considering what you've already done, that should be small fry :wink:

I've been watching this topic from the start, and I must say, the end result is truly awe-inspiring. Since you're going with a different weapon for the right arm, I highly suggest the drill; a giant drill would be awesome and incredibly intimidating, not to mention that there is a perfect piece for such a drill- fom an old set of Lego figures, called Rock Raiders. Here's a pic of the drill piece:

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/4970-1.jpg

Obviously you'd neet to put a tip on it, but considering what you've already done, that should be small fry :wink:

I had that it was awesome............

awesome dred btw

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate the input.

Nice idea with the lego bit Brother Daeger Helsir, but I don't have the cash to purchase the part and I think my brother will string me up from the tallest tree or building he could find. :) I do have some other ideas on scratch building the drill though. I will get pics as soon as possible.

Thanks for the link Si, unfortunately I can't spare a cent at the moment. My partner and I are expecting our second child in November so all spare cash is going into preparations for baby.

Any further news, Plaguelord?

I will be getting back to this project as soon as possible, but I have a commission job that is needed to be finished urgently at the moment (I have less than a week), sorry. I will update this project as soon as possible.

Thanks. The legs are going to be scratch built out of my bits box as I am not going to buy anything extra to use on the dread. Besides, I don't have any spare cash. :) Especially now my wife and I are expecting our second child. :)

You can always sell the first one. I personally love the claw feet. Can't wait to see moar.

Archived