WIP scrap/scratch built Khorne Dreadnought

Baldric: hey bud looking really good here, i was having a think about the fist with the chainsword blades on it and i finally realised what the issue is with it. It needs something attached to each of the chainswords so that they can pivot open and closed.

Yeah, I am working on a couple of ideas to do this successfully at the moment and trying to work out which will work best and easiest. :)

Keep up the good work or i will have to come and beat you with a two by four, after all... i know where you live.

Meh, I'm not worried, I'll just tell Kyrie you have changed your mind about what army you plan to do and she will do the rest. :) :P

I love it. Great idea with the buzzsaw! I don't like the feet though, too bird-like. I have been watching carefully, and I am eagerly await more!

:)

I'm a pirate, are you?

I love it. Great idea with the buzzsaw! I don't like the feet though, too bird-like. I have been watching carefully, and I am eagerly await more!

Thanks. I don't really like the feet at the moment and have been looking at a few other ideas for them. In fact, I am thinking about redoing the whole lower legs.

First time seeing this, and I gotta say... WOW. That's some impressive and inventive use of bitz and junk. Especially that round saw.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I just built the second saw for the arm. I have also been looking at doing improvements to the saws.

Every morning, when you wake up, you should take a good long look in the mirror and say, "You're not normal".

I think I will leave that bloke in the mirror alone. He already has everyone else telling him he isn't normal. :pinch:

Just a small update to show how the second close combat arm is progressing. I will be adding a lot more detail to it as I go. I haven't had much time to work on the dread, but am happy I have done some more.

The housing is made from broken bases, plastic from a broken DVD case and some parts cut from ither the SM or CSM vehicle sprue, I can't remember which.

Anyway, here are some pics.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/16-07Update1.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/16-07Update.jpg

As always, all comments and criticism welcome.

First of all, Awesome work!!! Some comments that may or may not help you. The lower legs or the legs in general seems to small and thin for the size of the upper body, currently he looks like he's going to fall over on his face.

The left chainsaw arm ,while I know it is not finished and a prototype the chainsaws seems far to thin and small. something larger would be more suitable. I am not sure where you'd find something larger but I am sure you of all ppl will. :devil:

I am also not super crazy on the claw feet, it works, but seems a bit out of place.

I am looking forward to more pics of this, and seeing it painted eventually. Got to say fantastic work and use of all sorts of bitz, you truly are the bitz master :huh:

First of all, Awesome work!!! Some comments that may or may not help you.

Thank you. All comments are very helpful and make me look at and rethink parts of the dread. Even if I disagree with them, I take note of them all. I am a very lazy converter (well, I think so anyway) and while there has been a lot of work put into this dread, there has been a lot of cutting of corners to save on extra work. That is the reason I posted the dread in the first place, everyones comments help encourage me to keep putting in extra effort to bring this dread to it's full potential.

The lower legs or the legs in general seems to small and thin for the size of the upper body, currently he looks like he's going to fall over on his face.

Before I attempt a complete leg rebuild (I am seriously contemplating it) I am going to attempt to rebuild the lower legs and feet. I have been avoiding it, but they have been annoying me more and more. In particular, as a lot of people have pointed out, the lower leg, between the ankle and knee, is way too short. I think if I fix this section, it will be a big improvement and possibly mean I don't have to rebuild the upper part of each leg.

The left chainsaw arm ,while I know it is not finished and a prototype the chainsaws seems far to thin and small. something larger would be more suitable. I am not sure where you'd find something larger but I am sure you of all ppl will. :)

;) I have to agree with you there, it looks way too small. I can make it's diameter larger without a problem as I can just raid the old tape player box in the garage for the cogs. Making the blade wider, without making it look weird is where I get stuck. I think I might have to make it 5 spinning discs to get it to look solid enough for the dread, but not look weird.

I am also not super crazy on the claw feet, it works, but seems a bit out of place.

I am actually beginning to hate the feet myself. They remind me of the Tzeentch greater daemon. Not a good thing on a Khorne dread. :unsure: I am thinking about changing the toe parts of the feet to cut down chainswords, with the blades facing up, to look as though getting into close combat is almost impossible without receiving serious injury. :)

I am looking forward to more pics of this, and seeing it painted eventually. Got to say fantastic work and use of all sorts of bitz, you truly are the bitz master :)

Thank you for the compliment, I am glad you, and everyone else, like my work and have taken the time to respond. If it wasn't for all the comments and suggestions, this would probably be sitting on my shelf along with a dozen other unfinished projects. :D

In particular, as a lot of people have pointed out, the lower leg, between the ankle and knee, is way too short. I think if I fix this section, it will be a big improvement and possibly mean I don't have to rebuild the upper part of each leg.

I would totally agree here.

As for the feet, I am thinking off the cuff here, but maybe some giant hoofs or something like that. More Khornish anyways. If not good ol' large dread feet would work as well :unsure: I am sure you'll come up with something clever.

Looking really good there mate.

One thing I really love is how you constructed the shoulder mounts out of layered sprues :tu: Now that took skill.

I'd like to see a photo of it with the shin guards on as it looks way to flimsy at the moment as others have said. I don't think it needs any more leg extensions. It just needs the legs bulked out a bit.

Maybe the hoofs could be a good idea.

But good job so far.

I like the beefiness too. If chaos get an option for a venerable upgrade in the new dex you're well and truly set with this monster.

With regards to the legs being too short and thin.

Before you go and rebuild the legs, may I suggest that you lengthen and beef up the 'shins' instead?

I don't know if they will fit but, the armor plates from the Defiler front legs might look good? (and if they don't, I can't think of anyone else in the known universe but you, who can re-cut them so they will :lol:)

That, as well as adding a rear claw like Brother Renn suggested, will go a long way to make him solid, in my opinion.

my 2 Kraks. :tu:

Before you go and rebuild the legs, may I suggest that you lengthen and beef up the 'shins' instead?

Yeah, I will be rebuilding the 'shins' before I even consider rebuilding the legs as a whole. I don't want to make too much work for myself. :D

I don't know if they will fit but, the armor plates from the Defiler front legs might look good? (and if they don't, I can't think of anyone else in the known universe but you, who can re-cut them so they will :P)

I have had a look at them a couple of times, but they look way too big, but I might see what I can do. And thanks, I always appreciate an ego boost. :P

That, as well as adding a rear claw like Brother Renn suggested, will go a long way to make him solid, in my opinion.

I am thinking of completely rebuilding the feet. I have a couple of ideas that I think will make them look a lot better. One is similar to a hoof design that was mentioned earlier by InKaras and seconded by Freebooter as well as having a discussion with Bloodwraith about it. Yes Bloodwraith, I have done a backflip over the idea. <_<

@ Feebooter: Thanks for the encouragement. I am glad you like the dread so far. I have found the old shin guards and taken a pic as you have requested. (See below)

The key to getting the sprue to fit together well is working on a flat surface. Put one piece with the narrow side face up and the next piece with the narrow side face down. Apply the glue to the piece with the narrow side up, but make sure you leave about 1mm between the glue and the table you don't end up with the glue seeping on to the table and glueing the sprue to the table as well. :)

@ Chaptermaster Graymantle: Thank you for the encouragement. Always makes me happy to have someone say wow. :)

@InKaras: You suggested making the saw larger, hope you like it. Have I gone too far? :D

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/17-07Update.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/17-07Update1.jpg

As always, all comments and critism is welcome.

And here is a front on shot with the old shin guards, as requested. (Please note that these are only for show and not the final shin guards)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/17-07Update3.jpg

Fantastic!! I think the new saw really makes the arm!! With regards to the shins I think the defiler plates are the best piece for but im not familiar with them an idea could be to cut them in half vertically and chamfer the edge so they go back togetherand an angle which could stop it from looking so blocky or even heating and bending to curve it a bit.

I won't comment on the legs / shins to much right now until I see something I know your more happy with and more solid about keeping. they are looking better with them on though.

Saw arm looks fantastic. Great job! <_<

Left Chainsword arm. I don't really see any changes? Don't think you've done anything with it yet. (patience I know) It needs work.

Brilliant...just brilliant....

With the legs i would just try to angle the outer edges further back in, so that they come in a bit closer to the leg itself.

The reworked chain 'discs' arm is much better with the multi layered discs...

overall good job and i cant wait to see the finished version.

Well, I know those aren't the final incarnation of the shinguards but seeing something there really gives a sense of what the final product will look like. And he looks beefy. It's great!

Buzzsaw arm is looking better and better, in fact I'd say it puts the claw arm to shame in the size department... =)

One thing - will you be adding some kind of codpiece plate between the legs? If you have a spare bit it might be worth tacking it on to see if you like it.

Anyways, good stuff.

I must say, it's looking great! Best dread I've ever seen.

You said you were still thinking about where to place the bolters/flamers. What about placing them into the cilinder of the chainsaw claw? If you'd remove the middle chainsaw, you could fit some sort of Assault Cannon in there.

Can't wait to see more of it :P

Oh wow, now that is turning out to be one mutha of a dreadnought. More than any other dread i've seen I can imagine him thundering down a road with buildings on both sides, steam coming from vents, oily smoke from exhaust and eyes glowing red.

Artisitc imaginings aside, since that saw arm now looks so kick-ass, i hope you're gonna do something really cool with his other arm, if only for the sake of balancing out the look of the model a bit.

Awesome work :P

Thanks for all the replies, they are really encouraging.

Left Chainsword arm. I don't really see any changes? Don't think you've done anything with it yet. (patience I know) It needs work.

I haven't done anymore work to the claw arm yet, but have been looking at ideas to improve it (using spare bits of plastic to see how the ideas work so I don't wreck the actual arm). It will definately be made to be more suitably matched to the saw arm though.

One thing - will you be adding some kind of codpiece plate between the legs?

I will be adding something there, but I haven't made up my mind between some sort of plate armour, chainmail or hanging chains, maybe even a combination.

You said you were still thinking about where to place the bolters/flamers. What about placing them into the cilinder of the chainsaw claw? If you'd remove the middle chainsaw, you could fit some sort of Assault Cannon in there.

That is a very interesting idea, but after all the work that went into the saw, I am not really game to change it so drastically now. The weapons will be mounted on/in the shoulder sections of the dread. I just have to decide exactly where. I will keep your idea in mind for the next project I do along these lines though, as I do like it.

A lot of people have been focusing on the legs, so I thought I would have a play around with them. I have lengthened them a little, as well as making some shin guards. Still not happy with them, but I think it is an improvement. They still look too square, so I am going to try and add a little extra shape to them, just not sure how to yet.

I have also added a little to the saw housing, just to start covering the blade.

Anyway, here is an update of where the dread is at.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/21-07Update.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/21-07Update2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/21-07Update1.jpg

And of course, the all important size comparisson. I think he may have grown a little. :teehee:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/21-07Update3.jpg

As always, all comments and criticism is welcome.

Much much better on the legs!!! perhaps some chaos skulls on one of them or something? still don't care for that chainsaw arm on the left. Otherwise freakin awesome.

hmmm...

Im not to avid of the newer leg guards cos they make it seem too.. i dunno.. too much like a robot instead of a dreadnought. I think that the lower leg guards helped keep the height proportions in check.

but thats just me

And in anycase.. its come on incredibly since you first started the project

I agree with Trask,the leg shins you put on before were much better, they had that typical dreadnaught-look to them. The newer ones are....just not as well fitting as the defiler-shins.

If my voice is important at all, I vote for the defiler-shins they fit well and also make this splendid model look even better than GW's Chaos-dreads.

Just my two cents.

Cheers :devil:

InKaras: I am looking at ways of making the chainsaw claw arm match the saw arm in size and manacing appearance. If I can't do it successfully, I will be trying a different style CCW for that arm.

Commander Trask & Capt. Taurus: I agree that the sprue shin guards didn't quite cut it and the original ones looked better. Unfortunatly, the originals didn't curve back far enough and bending them wouldn't have helped resolve the problem. Having extended the legs has also made them too small. I have made another set of shin guards and hope you like them. I still have to GS the gaps in them, but as with all the other GS work that neds to be done, I willl be leaving it until the dread is nearly finished.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/22-07Update.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/22-07Update1.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Plaguelord_Baldric/Tutorials%20and%20WIPs/ScratchDread/22-07Update2.jpg

All comments and criticism welcome.

You're gonna hate me...

I liked better it when he was shorter... *cringes from blow* For some reason he looked more Dread-like when he was a bit shorter.

New shins are nicer though.

Personally I am still not a fan of the claw feet.

But everything else is sexy.

Archived