No Fists to report in the meantime. Trying to finish the resin models by June and my only resin Fist model left in the backlog is Dorn himself! My Warhound will probably not make that cut though. Did a good test fit on my Galatus dread. I forget how tall they are. 

9rfoV1r.jpg

I might actually have a functional Custodes force soon. Well, one capable of winning games. Who am I kidding, I kind of suck at the game part, but that may be because I have absolutely not desire to power game, and just don't really practice either? Maybe. 

Who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

One final model to end the year!

uDe5rqj.png

Made the mistake of spraying the shield initially in the cold and had to strip it otherwise this would have been done a couple of days ago. Galatus dreadnaught all done and ready. I also picked up a Telemon at the Warhammer Cafe today to round out that force. I also grabbed a really nice Crystal Caste case that fits the whole army with room for a little more, probably a rhino and some Silent Sisters, but that's a plan for a long time from now.

• 2 weeks later...

In a weird turn of events, MORE BLACK AND GOLD. And the model after this will ALSO be black and gold! Not a bad way to start the year I guess. Got until June to get as much done as I can. 

Adeptus Custodes Blade Champion done!

0fqvJCa.png

This was fun. I ended up putting an additional tactical rock under his foot, cutting and repositioning the arms to make him running more "forward" as the original pose kept reading as "falling forward" to me. It DID seem to work better when he's two-handing, but for the dual-wielding, this angle felt more 'stable' visually. 

I ended up stripping and repainting the cape 3 times this past week, he was otherwise done Sunday. Just couldn't get the colours to flow properly while maintaining the definition of the Aquila. I also ended up a little annoyed at the purple gradient on the overlap and gave it some gold filigree from the Custodes vehicles transfer sheet, which turned out nicely. 

Sub-assemblies (I am a whore for sub-assemblies) were legs and torso with left arm (but not sword), helmet, right arm. cape, and thigh plates separate. All in all took me a week, which isn't bad. Happy with the onward progress.

• 1 month later...

Custodes Telemon Magnus Catonius Archonis strides forth over the battlefield, ignoring those enemies beneath him, leaving their fates to his uninterred brothers of the Ten Thousand.

4eex5Pl.png

8mGu1Ww.png

I had a lot of fun with this guy, who I bought with store credit at the Warhammer Citadel after making some hard choices about my backlog and realistically getting rid of some of the NIB components of it. The Night Lord being straight up ignored (so he can get a spear in the chest from the Custodes coming in behind the Telemon) is the old school Space Marine casualty with the head removed, heavily drilled out, replaced with a FW Raptor head, an Artel W flayed flesh tabard where I covered where I scraped some purity seals off, and a MKIII backpack. I like the set piece, especially on such a large base, instead of having yet another dreadnaught have a 'tactical rock.'

The rest is pretty straightforward. I am a little annoyed that the aquila shoulder decorations aren't 'level' with the ground, as I put them on prior to attaching them to the body, but I think the angle still works with the shape of the shoulders. 

Now, if only the FW Custodes units and the GW ones didn't get super duper weird points values making standard size lists... very hard.

• 1 month later...

A third knight joins in!

mVBpAjn.png

Since I first did my decals and design over a decade ago when the first Knights rolled out I've been really happy to see other people take them and run with them here and there. Over time, I've slowly come to the idea of them being Mechanicum aligned, but much more knightly, having only reestablished contact with the Imperium within the last few Millennia and their own culture was much more like Imperial aligned knights than Mars... because I like the way they look more. 

Anyway.... This has been a lengthy, lengthy undertaking. I finished the amour plates probably 2 years ago and just didn't feel like doing the frame and base. This month I really went for it to get it done, including both weapon arms.

I used the cowling from the gatling cannon as extra armour on the sword arm, as it felt a little bare otherwise.

Really happy with how it turned out. I have. Knight Paladin to do (using the Chaos Knight legs, because I enjoy variety) and then maybe, maybe I add some Armigers because Kngihts are really awkward to build an army out of, points wise.

RJLm8a3.png

c2hieOV.png

i6ewDtr.png

The energy coils on the Las Impulsor may not be as glossy or fancy OSL as some people but that's just not my style. White undercoat with eight-ish layers of Aethermatic Blue. I like how it turns out.

Thanks Pearson! 

I said I would do it last Friday and... a week later... here we are! 

Since the only model that was available for a while was the Dark Imperium Gravis captain with Power Sword and Boltstorm gauntlet, I decided to make my own. Another part of the backlog down. The pile of shame shrinks further! 

9WbqygA.png

I took Tor Garradon as a base and did some extensive converting on where his power fist normally is, including adding a fake shoulder underneath somewhere to give support. I also clipped away his armoured tabard and replaced it with a very carefully trimmed tabard from the old (ish?) Company Command Champion chest. The two come together very nicely and his slight hunch hides the most egregious clipping. 

The boltstorm gauntlet and backpack are just standard aggressor parts. The shoulder pad is from the old FW Imperial Fist terminators set.

I had originally planned on giving him Calgar's Primaris helmet, but with the bionic on the left side it looked kind of funky since there would be no eye visible from the front of the model. I went back and forth for a while before I ended up giving him a MKVII helmet after a reddit poll where everyone unanimously said it looked amazing, and it does. 

On to some Night Lords terminators, now that they're officially miniature...

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

• 5 months later...

Primaris Ancient 

This lad was actually "done" in August, but I sprayed the sealant in too humid/before the microset was fully dry and a couple of the decals on the banner peeled (never had that happen before!) so I started from scratch.

k7xIqbS.png

I'm very happy with how he ended up. The body is from Dark Angels Primaris Lieutenant with the DA iconography removed and a couple of accessories and brass-etch added on in their place. The chest in particular I was worried about, but I think it came out well. Added a bunch of purity seals to the old command squad banner, gave him the old command squad champion sword. 

I used a combination of decal slices (many, many slices) to attempt to recreate the official IF banner from the supplement. While it's not perfect, I'm very pleased with the result. My virgin Legio Gryphonnicus 40k scale decal sheet gave up one of its laurel wreaths for it. Fortunately that part wasn't damaged. 

What do you guys think?