Inquisitor Engel, I like your method of making testers. Could you make another one of those pics but with perhaps some lighting from both sides? It seems like the miniatures on the right are underexposed, which makes it very hard to make out the result. Or perhaps individual pics of every one? It's a lot to ask but maybe someone could benefit :)

Thanks guys!

I sat down and finished the base of the Hunter/Stalker, and the Hunter turret. It's come out pretty well. Super stoked GW included the parts to make both and there's no crossover parts. Just adding some decals and then a pic before the weekend is out! ;) 

Inquisitor Engel, I like your method of making testers. Could you make another one of those pics but with perhaps some lighting from both sides? It seems like the miniatures on the right are underexposed, which makes it very hard to make out the result. Or perhaps individual pics of every one? It's a lot to ask but maybe someone could benefit :smile.:

Ah, alas, I've since redone or gotten rid of the models themselves, but yeah it was originally pretty underexposed. Had I know everyone was so interested in my methods, I'd have tried harder. :) 

The final method for the yellow is:

1. GW Averland Sunset spray 
  2. 2-3 THIN spray coats (like, the thinnest possible) of Tamiya PS-19 Camel Yellow
  3. Krylon matte varnish. This is necessary because PS-19 dries super duper slick and otherwise... Nothing sticks to it.
  4. 2-3 spray layers, including a zenithal highlight of Vallejo Game Air Gold Yellow 72.707
  5. Highlights are GW classic Golden Yellow, but Vallejo Gold Yellow would do as well

I promised pics, and pics there shall be. 

MUwV9IM.png

I went for some subtler iconography on this compared to some of the other vehicles. I didn't want to detract from the yellow and black dichotomy. 

Pro tip though - Assemble the housing for the targeting lenses AFTER painting. Putting them together having glued the "tent" to the round turret base was a mistake and not fun. 

XpJuGYq.png

pejPPU5.png

I quite like the axe/wings combo. I'm TEMPTED to order a rhino with extra armour and pop the Stalker on it and just have more tanks... But then I think back on the process of painting vehicles... Man I hate painting vehicles. 

MZfxLOI.png

Mustn't forget the reference yellow pic, and of course, a shot of the "school bus parking lot."

• 2 months later...

When you're having one of those days...

Y0pjEFO.png

Well, they announced Dorn literally 24 hours after I bought Guilliman to give some oomph. Still having some fun with the basing before I get to Smurf Prime. 

The Black is Scale75 Black Metal with a wash of Nuln Oil followed by some Administratum Grey highlights and then another wash, this time of Army Painter Dark Tone. Might have to give it a whirl on my Custodes...

• 3 weeks later...

I've just joined BaC to comment this thread because I've been through all the history of your army and it's glorious.

I love what you're painting keep it up

Wow! That's quite the compliment! :smile.:

Thanks!

Thanks guys! Apparently the Warhammer Cafe (Adeptus Baristas!) is opening within a reasonable 20-30 minute drive from me, so he might ACTUALLY get some action! Maybe. 

Anyway, in addition to my Night Lords and Eldar, I've been slowly working on a test Custodes figure that I'm very pleased with overall. Warning: If you don't go gold, these guys are insanely tedious to paint. Still, I'm happy and can't wait to paint the other 16 I have waiting over time. 

ZLZHKJJ.png

He also rotates!

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Custodes are looking good!

Any chance you'd be interested in making a vow with some Imperial Fists to help the ETL Space Marine team? :smile.:

Honestly, I'm coming in on completing my Imperial Fists, so I would likely fail in that vow. :( 

I'm actually working on a Custodes (one between each other unit) and a Leviathan Dread for my Night Lords at the moment. And an Eldar Falcon...

As promised, between each unit of the Night Lords, Imperial Fists, and Eldar, I completed a single Custodes model. 

This one only took me a full day, which I consider an accomplishment!

BIsWOYf.png

BKcFJq3.png

uYrV4XO.png

1Ktvq3k.png

Made the mistake of gluing the gun on before painting, which I regret, but I'm happy I was able to reproduce the colours and scheme from the test mini. 

The armour is:
  • Scale75 Dark Metal
  • Airbrush Army Painter Dark Tone all over
  • Edge Highlight with Leadbelcher

The metal is:
  • Leadbelcher
  • Nuln Oil Wash
  • Mithril Silver edge highlight

The gold is:
  • Liberator Gold
  • Reikland Fleshshade
  • Liberator Gold highlight with a teeny bit of Mithril Silver on some spots
  • Recess shade with Seraphim Sepia

Writing it down here just in case I forget... I'm THAT slow.

• 1 month later...
Since I finished some Night Lords, it's time to do a Custodes then move on to a Eldar Falcon.

I'm pretty pleased. 

StcaxC2.png

XD2WFI5.png

Once the Falcon is done, it'll be time for another Satittarum Guard then... Perhaps, the Storm Raven. Maybe Alexis Pollux. Running up against another travel deadline at the end of July.

• 3 months later...
Cheers! The blades are giving me some fun practice with the old airbrush. Probably graduating to a Pasche from the Iwata Neo soon, if work bonuses come through.

I'm also planning on eventually doing a very small Primaris force that's... Different? Haven't decided yet. I also bought a Warhound Titan last time I was at Warhammer World so... Um, that's in the pipeline? Got the Adeptus Titanicus Warhounds to test paint schemes on, but I think Legio Gryphonicus has already won out. 

Back to Custodes though... I finished the Night Lords Recon Squad the other week, so now it's time for another Custodes model! 

SK8fneb.png

His Solarite Gauntlet is made from a Tartaros Terminator gauntlet and much cutting and filing. I think it worked out okay. Enough to get the WYSIWYG without being too crazy. I had hoped to add some filigree but it's just too fine detail work for me and the Custodes transfer sheet doesn't really have much that's small enough, so he'll have to do with half an Aquila. 

EXikGs2.png

And here they all are!

tDIXQzH.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can file off eagle heads from the guardian spears to decorate

Don't have many of those spare, but good idea!  

eBay rescue complete! When I got this guy a couple of years ago (before Betrayal at Calth even!) it was in rough shape. I think it turned out okay! This was originally going to belong to my Night Lords, but since they're getting a Leviathan (coming soon to a thread near you!) and a Daredeo soon, I decided it was fair to give the Fists a Heresy-era dreadnaught. Plus it gives me a little practice for the Storm Raven I'll paint... one day. 

zzx5ZG2.png

I particularly like the eagle on his chest. Less script than some models, generally to break up blank panels and hide what appears to be a really poor cast. I had to use some plasticard to repair the tops of the shoulders as they snapped when I froze him to try and break up some of the hard to reach places from the original pose. It was not fun.

LP5oo3Y.png

The "nodes" on the gun were white base with Hexwraith Flame, which is proving to be one of the cooler paints GW has put out recently. 

gdjtSt0.png

I like the foot decal, but I was stuck for something to put on the shoulder without things seeing "samey" or overdone. The FW IF sheet continues to be super great.

Y90mMGT.png

Can't forget a picture with little brother! Given that I painted that Castaferrum pattern in... 2011 or so, I'm pretty pleased at how close the yellow method I'm using now gets to it. In the home stretch now! I think. Probably not.