Interested in a conversion challenge?

Actually I like the whole Kaleb Dark thing so much I'd be prepared to make this the next challenge... to make a 40K update of Kaleb, I think its a very cool idea and I wish I'd though of it first!

Haha thank you but I can hardly take credit for being the first to think about it :D but just so I'm clear, there's no way the Kaleb Daark update is gonna fly with the current contest?

happy to hear that darthgus grew some balls and going to keep this alive next month, a round of applause is is order! *applause*

anyway, where are all those entries you fellas promised? and i'm looking at you two, Prime and Wings

happy to hear that darthgus grew some balls and going to keep this alive next month, a round of applause is is order! *applause*

anyway, where are all those entries you fellas promised? and i'm looking at you two, Prime and Wings

I'm working on it. 672 hours just isn't enough time for everything I'm in the middle of right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats awesome maverike, I think its better than mine. I didnt really do that much converting though.

Thanks Lord. You're conversion gave me the idea for the cape. Yeah there are times that's it's an advantage that I seem to be genetically incapable of doing a small project.

Not entirely sure with what you mean by saying you arn't capable of doing small projects, wasn't that a small project ?

Some c&c on your abbadon, I love the way you have reposed the fingers of the lightning claw but the bottom finger looks a bit odd. I like the idea behind his torso, it looks like the artwork, but the cables look a bit to long and not symmetrical. My favorite part about the model is the trophy rack and the pose which make him look badass.

I am pretty happy at the moment because a model I painted for golden daemon has gone to the finals in australia. I hope to provide my abbadon with a similar quality paint job within the next few months.

Not entirely sure with what you mean by saying you arn't capable of doing small projects, wasn't that a small project ?

Some c&c on your abbadon, I love the way you have reposed the fingers of the lightning claw but the bottom finger looks a bit odd. I like the idea behind his torso, it looks like the artwork, but the cables look a bit to long and not symmetrical. My favorite part about the model is the trophy rack and the pose which make him look badass.

I am pretty happy at the moment because a model I painted for golden daemon has gone to the finals in australia. I hope to provide my abbadon with a similar quality paint job within the next few months.

HAHA! hang on a sec and I'll break down what I spent in time and materials on that one model:

(1) Chaos Space Marine Lord in Terminator Armor : $22.50

(1) Chaos Terminator Box Set : $50.00

(1) Chaos Daemons Blood Crusher Box set : $53.75

that was my monetary investment. Time wise... hmm let me think.

The sword arm: it's comprised of 4 parts. I took the blade form one Blood Crusher sword, and the hilt from a another to make the sword look Daemonic, versus khornate. I rather like the Spiked Gauntlet from the Lord set, the one holding the ax, but the arm itself... I donno it just looked too blah for it to be abaddon. So I swapped it with an arm from the Terminator Box set. I then had to heat the upper arm up enough that I could twist it outward without distorting the detail.

The Talon arm: Originally I wanted to make him clenching his taloned fist, like on the cover of the Black Crusade codex:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1020031_Blkcrusades_title.jpg

but the size of the hand totally dwarfs his head and it's looks iffy at best.

The head: the head is in fact 5 separate parts, not counting green stuff. The head itself is from the Chaos lord box set. Originally I was going to sculpt his hair flowing down ward, like he was in a really big-ass battle and didn't feel like fixing his hair, but I looked at the model and realized I'd be sculpting hair over nearly 2/3 the length of the model itself which would have basically ruined the look of the entire model. So I had to recreate the whole top-knot. I took the shaft from the first Blood crusher sword I used, the one I got the blade from, and used that as the tie up. I took the blade from the second sword and separated the the blade from the hilt and used the hilt at the ornamentation at the top of the tie up. I passed a length of rod through the two parts and glued that into the head. I left a 1/2" worth of rod exposed at the top and bent it side ways in the direction I was going to sculpt the hair. For some added ornamentation, I took a Chaos talisman from the Blood Crushers set and attached that to the top knot.

Grand total: The model probably took me about 20 hours to build and that was very rushed, which is exactly what lead to the cables, the fingers and a couple other little "I wish I'd paid more attention" spots on the model. Actually the finger wasn't even one of those moments. That was something I probably would have missed even if I'd spent 50 hours on the model. The cables on the chest were very rushed and when I re-do the model, I will be much, much, MUCH more careful about sizing and spacing with them. Actually I may even try to find other material to use for the tubing that isn't the Guitar wire. It's a lot more difficult to work with then it looks.

But as for my comment about being unable to do a small project: $125 and 20~ hours to build 1 man sized model... yeah. I think that about says it. Actually that's cut back from what I originally wanted to do.

Thats pretty funny dude, I spent $ 160 nz on my model ( termy lord, termys, zhufor ) but i only spent 5-6 hours on the model most of which was sculpting the eyes.

It going to be so awkward when you have a banner saying :

Winner of maverike primes 4th conversion challenge : Maverike prime ;)

Thats pretty funny dude, I spent $ 160 nz on my model ( termy lord, termys, zhufor ) but i only spent 5-6 hours on the model most of which was sculpting the eyes.

It going to be so awkward when you have a banner saying :

Winner of maverike primes 4th conversion challenge : Maverike prime :lol:

Even more so when it's followed by "I swear this banner is legit and the challenge was not rigged"

very nice prime, this may become a tough choice for the judges

It going to be so awkward when you have a banner saying : Winner of maverike primes 4th conversion challenge : Maverike prime :lol:

Even more so when it's followed by "I swear this banner is legit and the challenge was not rigged"

if you win, you can bet i'm putting that on the banner! :P

FIX!! ;)

... what?

Archived