Interested in a conversion challenge?

Hey all, have had my eye on this for the last couple of months but work's mental and haven't been able to commit (boohoo). Hopefully be in on this one though!

Want to second the suggestion for the revamp of the older SW or BA characters (Ragner, Ulrik, Mephiston, Dante etc) as those guys are begging for a less 2D update!

sorry about the delay guys. Had some rather large family issues come to a head in the last ten days.

Okay, as far as the selected character goes we have 2 options. I took a list of all the Special characters from Codex: Space Marines, Codex: Blood Angels, Codex: Space Wolves, Codex: Chaos Space Marines, and Codex: Dark Angels cut out 2"x2" squares of paper with 1 name on each and then tacked them to a dart board. I then blind folded myself and started tossing until I didn't heard the "THUNK" of a dark hitting the hard wood wall behind the dart board. I wasn't 100% sure the first name that was selected would be acceptable, so after I hit a name, I removed that name and repeated the process to come up with a second name. Here are the results:

First Result: Mephiston

Second Result: Azrael

So, should we include Librarians? If the answer is yes, then the character will be Mephiston. If the answer is no, the character will be Azrael.

I think that Mephiston would be fine, as we could do quite a few things to represent his Force Weapon. However, there have been quite a few votes for Azrael, so it depends if you want to go with popular opinion or not.

Also, if you select Azrael, would we have to convert the Watcher in the Dark?

I think that Mephiston would be fine, as we could do quite a few things to represent his Force Weapon. However, there have been quite a few votes for Azrael, so it depends if you want to go with popular opinion or not.

Right, but we weren't voting before. I said from the start that I was going to pick the required part, or rather the character in this case. At the risk of sounding like a jerk, but we could have had a million votes for Azrael and I still would have done the dart Board technique. The part that came up as a question in my mind is that there are some armies that specifically state that they do not have Psychers/Sorcerers, the Black Templars and World Eaters being the two prime examples. Now I'm all for the challenge of figuring out how to represent a Psycher in a anti-psycher army but I'm not one of the participants of the challenge.

Also, if you select Azrael, would we have to convert the Watcher in the Dark?

I don't have the rules for Azrael infront of me, and I don't recall. Does the Watcher have any roll in game?

I stand by you in using the dartboard technique. As for a Librarian, I am fine with it (as I would just do it for my Ultramarines), but there might be others who object to converting such an abomination that is a Psyker.

I don't have the rules for Azrael infront of me, and I don't recall. Does the Watcher have any roll in game?

I do not know, as I do not play DA. However, I believe that the only purpose in-game for the Watcher is to carry the hat that has special rules. I do not believe that he has rules or a statline (unlike, for example, Grimaldus' Servitors).

EDIT: Also, if you are accepting ideas for future themed challenges, I think that it would be cool to have you pick a rank of special character (e.g. Chapter Master, Captain, Librarian, Chaplain, etc.) and then let us pick a special character to convert from a list of characters that have that rank (so, for Chapter Master, we could pick between Calgar, Seth, Helbrecht, etc.). This way, the judges would have a framework to judge within, while allowing the contestants a greater degree of freedom in their conversion.

I stand by you in using the dartboard technique. As for a Librarian, I am fine with it (as I would just do it for my Ultramarines), but there might be others who object to converting such an abomination that is a Psyker.

I do not know, as I do not play DA. However, I believe that the only purpose in-game for the Watcher is to carry the hat that has special rules. I do not believe that he has rules or a statline (unlike, for example, Grimaldus' Servitors).

I want to say it's for thematic purposes as a bearer of the Lion Helm and beyond the effect of the Lion Helm plays no role what so ever in game, but I can't confirm it. Anyone got the Dark Angels codex with them?

EDIT: Also, if you are accepting ideas for future themed challenges, I think that it would be cool to have you pick a rank of special character (e.g. Chapter Master, Captain, Librarian, Chaplain, etc.) and then let us pick a special character to convert from a list of characters that have that rank (so, for Chapter Master, we could pick between Calgar, Seth, Helbrecht, etc.). This way, the judges would have a framework to judge within, while allowing the contestants a greater degree of freedom in their conversion.

We had talked about that idea previously. the problem that came up was how do you compare am Ultramarines Chapter Master to a Space Wolves Great Wolf to a Tzeentch Space Marine Lord?

Quick question: For Mephiston, does his Force Weapon have to be represented by a Sword? Or can we do another style of Force Weapon?

It must count as a Force weapon. If you want to model it has a baseball bat with rusty nails in it covered with a putrid slime that is writhing and crawling with aggressive disease ridden maggots I'd say that would count as a force weapon (Damn it! I really need to giving myself ideas for these things)

hey War, about your entry:

HOLY HELL! If that doesn't measure up to Mephy's stat line I don't want to see the marine that does!

thanks, (also to the others who complemented me on the challenge thread :blush: )

i held myself back, the original plan was to have him rip apart one of those new plastic deamon princes, but that would have been a bit to costly :teehee:

hey War, about your entry:

HOLY HELL! If that doesn't measure up to Mephy's stat line I don't want to see the marine that does!

thanks, (also to the others who complemented me on the challenge thread :) )

i held myself back, the original plan was to have him rip apart one of those new plastic deamon princes, but that would have been a bit to costly :huh:

just a touch.

Archived