Interested in a conversion challenge?

I would be interested in participating in this challenge. I would prefer you allow fine cast parts as I have some marines that I plan on cutting up anyway but I'll still enter if the contest is restricted to plastic parts. I also would like to say that I agree with everything Honda posted, a little piece of story is a great idea in my book. I just had one more idea to throw out there. What if you gave each participant one wore for the judging of the contest. Every one who completed a conversion on time and submitted the proper photos would get to pick their favorite and send their vote via PM to whoever will be running this contest. It's just a thought, let me know what you guys think.

When you guys have done conversions in the past, is it Ok to use bits from different manufacturers? Is the exercise around building cool things or does it get more specific than that?

This would help me decide which way to go on my dude.

Cheers,

When you guys have done conversions in the past, is it Ok to use bits from different manufacturers? Is the exercise around building cool things or does it get more specific than that?

This would help me decide which way to go on my dude.

Cheers,

in the past we've made use of all sort of restrictions from no metal bits, to requiring a particular bit to no green stuff. I don't think I'm going to deal with any sort of restrictions on bits this time around though.

I guess I was too subtle when I said to ask for help and made it a link back to this exact thread:

so I'm confused on what's the required "piece" is?

Is it just a short story, and a converted model needed to enter?

The "required piece" is the short story. The basic idea is to make a model of the character in your short story.

From what I see fella, no required part, just write a short piece about a veteran, then convert them up from any bits you choose on an appropriate base..

yep.

Since we're to be getting on our creative high horses, how wild can they be? Must they strictly match a codex entry or does Rule of Cool apply?

If it's an Ultra-marine he'd probably need to more codex rule then say a space wolf. Thats part of the challenge. Can you make a character for a chapter/legion and have him fit that groups fluff? THEN can you build the model for it?

Does it have to be infantry, or is a biker sergeant ok?

It needs to be a sergent. Not a rank and file fud-fud, not a command officer. A squad level officer/commander. Biker sergeant, Assault Sergeant, Veteran Sergeant, devastator Sergeant, Aspiring Champion, Skull Champion, Aspiring Sorcerer.... Those are all valid.

What about a thunderwolf cav sargeant even though they technically dont have one, however I run a successor chapter that has munted warriors and thus use wolf rule for them so could I do a mounted seargent for my own unit. Note i wont be usign wolves for the mount ill try and convert that too!

Rgards,

Crynn

Is there a prize?

What about a thunderwolf cav sargeant even though they technically dont have one, however I run a successor chapter that has munted warriors and thus use wolf rule for them so could I do a mounted seargent for my own unit. Note i wont be usign wolves for the mount ill try and convert that too!

Rgards,

Crynn

Is there a prize?

it needs to be representable by a legal entry. So if you want to make a sergeant on a thunderwolf and say it actually represents a Marine Sergeant on a Bike that's fine. But Thunderwolf Calvary do not have a sergeant style entry.

The only prize you get is a little banner you put in your signature.

I for one am really excited about this challenge, though I have to admit it isn't much in the way of conversion challenge so much as a short fiction challenge!

Actually that brings up a question: Will the quality of the short fiction piece be considered in the judging? I hope so, it will help bring the best out of everyone.

PS: If writing quality is going to be part of the judging criteria, then I would like to volunteer my services as an editor/consultant to any users for whom English is not their first language. I have experience teaching English as a foreign language and know that its a difficult language to master, and wouldn't want someone to have their entry knocked down because they have to translate their writing into a secondary language.

I'm really looking foward to this, plus I haven't written any fluff in about a year, so very cool.

I just wanted to confirm that there are no mid-point status updates or anything.

Cheers,

I for one am really excited about this challenge, though I have to admit it isn't much in the way of conversion challenge so much as a short fiction challenge!

Actually that brings up a question: Will the quality of the short fiction piece be considered in the judging? I hope so, it will help bring the best out of everyone.

PS: If writing quality is going to be part of the judging criteria, then I would like to volunteer my services as an editor/consultant to any users for whom English is not their first language. I have experience teaching English as a foreign language and know that its a difficult language to master, and wouldn't want someone to have their entry knocked down because they have to translate their writing into a secondary language.

quality is always a point of judging in these contests. Basically you want to be able to create a character that is more then "Marine Sergeant 0124829-A leads squad Marine-assault 012 Alpha on mission 029983-20948-400182". You will want to make the character unique and identifiable in both the fluff and the model. Think of it like this: if I put a model on the table that is supposed to be Abaddon, can you ID the model as representing Abaddon with out my telling you that?

Now take it one step further. If I put a model on the table and you look at it, can you tell if he's a honorable leader or a ravager? Is he a lead from the front or does he dictact from the back? Is he a trainer or a example? Does he fight for loyalty to the Emperor or the glory of his legion? If he gets into close combat is he a practiced duelist or a crazed wild man? Create the character in the fluff, then create a model that you feel represents it.

I'm really looking foward to this, plus I haven't written any fluff in about a year, so very cool.

I just wanted to confirm that there are no mid-point status updates or anything.

Cheers,

Nope. the only dead line is... well the deadline. At noon on January first I will attempt to post in the challenge thread that submissions are closed. If you submit after that the submission will not be counted.

happy to see you fellas have kept this going while i was gone :D

real interesting concept Prime, loving it!

but since i only have one fan-based Marine (who has been incarnated in this series two time already), i'll doubt i'm going to be part of this one

i don't really see the point of making three versions of Mr Wortle :P

But..

i'm going to be watching, so you lot better do the best you can! :P

May it be a 'count-as' character? I want to enter the challenge with Apothecary with fist count as 'zerk Skull Champ - can I? Or doing this contradict with the conditions of the challenge?

So, just for clarity. Is it either a short story including your character OR his background details? Like either are legit entries?

As long as the character can be represented by a legit entry in the game it's fine. If that legit entry happens to Commander Dante, well... that's legal and fine but you're story had make it very clear why your character has Dante's stat line.

I was woundering if a death watch kill team Sergent valid for an entry?

Death Watch kill team Sergent is fine. you can represent him with a Stern Guard, Command Squad Member, or Tactical Sergent just fine.

Archived