Interested in a conversion challenge?

If the required bit isn't some rare and crazy thing...and if I could ever decipher the meaning of statlines...yes.

It will be a bit that I can walk into a GW shop and buy off the shelf. That's all I can promise. It's very unlikely it will be a plastic piece because... that's just lame for a challenge. I might as well say "Take the commander box and build a commander using that and stuff in your bitz box"

As for the stat line that's simple. if I post the following:

WS: 4 BS: 4 S: 4 T:4 A:1

then the model you submit has be to able to meet those stats. So in this example you couldn't submit a terminator because they get 2 attacks base but you could post an assault marine because they get 1 attack base, then 1 attack for 2 cc weapons and then 1 for charging.

Aaah could we drop the statline man? Cuz it doesn't only limit people what they can make, but it might also discourage people from entering. I loved the idea of these challenges not only cuz I love converting but also because I can convert for this anything that I might need in my army. Using a certain piece can still be converted to become something I need in my army you see, but as soon as you add a statline, I HAVE to keep my figure within those limits so it won't necessarily benefit me to join. And let's face it, there's no cash prize, and although the banner is cool to have, people need greater incentive to join than just showing off, which they can do anywhere on this site.

I think just having a required piece works just great.

I'll definitely be up to trying one of these challenges. Also I agree with Goose, I will totally give it a go either way but dropping the stats could get more people involved because it would let them make something for their force no matter what faction or what category so to speak.

I like the stat line idea better than required bit. Maybe just because I'm reaching that stage of hobbying where I prefer not to buy things and make them myself. I see this as a personal challenge to improve my skills, not add whatever is missing in my army. I think if you want to attract more entries give it more than a month, and make it an option between required bit, stat line, or theme.

Or if you're sticking with the required bit, as long as I can use it on a secondary model on the same base as my scratch-made entry, I'll be happy :woot:

Good luck with your decision, Maverike!

• 6 months later...

How about a Vet. Sgt (or equivalent) for your list?

For example:

1. C:SM = Vet. Sgt

2. C:GK = Justicar

You get the idea. Equip him in anyway that would fit your army or an army you are building. Kick off on 12/01/31, turn in your pics on 01/01/12. Keep it loose and fun and let's bring in the New Year with something "funky".

My two yen.

BTW, I would participate in this.

Might even take the converted models and paint them for giggles as the follow on.

Judge?

You guys judge these things? I thought you were just trying to figure out what to do.

If they have to be judged, just do a poll and let the community handle it. We may have to ask one of the mods if we can do that.

I was just going to do it for the fun of it.

Cheers,

Judge?

You guys judge these things? I thought you were just trying to figure out what to do.

If they have to be judged, just do a poll and let the community handle it. We may have to ask one of the mods if we can do that.

I was just going to do it for the fun of it.

Cheers,

the polls are too easily abused and I get enough complaints about running the challenges in the first place.

So, who's doing the judging this time round?

Goose! Welcome back :D

Why don't we have an Admin, such as Argos, judge it? They've been running around and watching the hobby enough...

Maverick, you might make a good judge as well, if you're running the event, you just couldn't participate. To be fair, however, that would level the playing field quite a bit for the others :yes:

How about a Vet. Sgt (or equivalent) for your list?

For example:

1. C:SM = Vet. Sgt

2. C:GK = Justicar

You get the idea. Equip him in anyway that would fit your army or an army you are building. Kick off on 12/01/31, turn in your pics on 01/01/12. Keep it loose and fun and let's bring in the New Year with something "funky".

My two yen.

BTW, I would participate in this.

Might even take the converted models and paint them for giggles as the follow on.

Well up for this, makes loads more sense to me as I dont read rule books

Maverick, you might make a good judge as well, if you're running the event, you just couldn't participate. To be fair, however, that would level the playing field quite a bit for the others :yes:

Not that that's your primary motivation... :D

I'm up for a sergeant type. I've been meaning to do a pre-heresy one-off for something like that anyways.

Why don't we have an Admin, such as Argos, judge it? They've been running around and watching the hobby enough...

um... I'm not really sure how to take that last part. Anyway, When I first started running the challenges I did ask for the admins to help out as a judge. Actually I asked for the first 3 challenges I ran. I either got no response what so ever, or a "I'm a little busy but looking forward to see what it turns out" sort of response. Ultimately I stopped asking. It's become a tradition of sorts that who ever runs the challenge also judge it which means they themselves can not enter.

um... I'm not really sure how to take that last part.

As a compliment, I've seen your Talos and Abbaddon minis and not all of us are quite that talented is what I mean :D

*taps toes*

New year, new conversion challenge?

How about we get something up and running in the lead into xmas?

Something we can all work on, like say produce a Captain using only plastic bits?

WotF

I'd be up to participate in making a Captain using only plastic bits.

@MP - I did not realize you guys were running these things as a competition. I was just checking odd threads and in fact, jumped in on the last page for some unknown reason and saw GDM wanting to kick off something.

Whatever you guys are used to running is fine with me. I'm not sure what constraints you are used to using.

Regarding "what" to model, I was just thinking that something like a leader for a squad would be interesting. I would think that any available codex would be fine, including LatD if you wanted, 'cause you wanted to get a jump on the new Renegades codex coming out whenever.

That way, you could model a Vet Sgt, some sort of Chaos champion (boo hiss, burn the traitor), a Protector (I'm finishing up Mechanicum at the mo), or whatever blows up your kilt. I think using all plastic is a great idea, but if someone wants to use finecast would you allow that? Or just let them do what they want.

Maybe to help with the conversion, also come up with a few sentences of back story to help people understand why you are doing what you are doing.

<I'm not trying to direct the flow here, just let my stream of consciousness flow>

Cheers,

Archived