Interested in a conversion challenge?

Hey Styphus, how bout you stop hatin' and start being a bit supportive. When you whined about the metal bit just because you couldn't be bothered to spend a bit of money on a perfectly good centrepiece for your army, people accepted your "theme" idea and started suggesting new ones which you totally shot down again. This is a forum for supportive friendship among modellers but that does not mean that we have to custom-tailor the challenge to suit you. If you don't like it, go away.

If you guys are going throw out ideas, please don't just use obscure phrases. Provide at least a sentence so we don't have to infer what "Noooo......." actually means.

Um... I think that's the point, brother. The idea is that you take the phrase, and turn it into your personal vision of what that phrase means, using only the phrase to go off of, and using mini's as your medium. Then Maverik and his panel of dark and mysterious judges decide which model/diorama/whatever is the best conversion and represents the chosen phrase the best. Personally, I think this is the best idea to come out of this thread yet. You can count me in, no matter which phrase is chosen.

Yeah, I probably should have thought of this before but we do need to establish some guidance for the themes.

1) Honor above all

-Black Templars (basically anything here since they're all honor bound fanatics.)

-http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/8/86/Marine.jpg

2) Power of the Mind/Spirit/Faith

-Librarians/Sorcerers. Something showing the mental powers of Psychers and the like

-http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-HZLorI1B0w/Sklq0SegMsI/AAAAAAAAItM/89H8QAqAw4Y/Codex%20Space%20Marine%20Terminator%20Librarian%20with%20lightning%20800.jpg

I think those help provide some guidance as to what the themes I'm suggesting are.

i think that the librarian idea is a good place to start. what if we did the challenge as a particular unit entry. squad sergeant, veteran, assault marine, ect. that would allow people to spend as little or as much as they wanted but would still have some limitations.

also ive never done one of yours but does the model have to be on an appropriate sized base? like a power armor model not on a term base

Thank you Maverike for getting the idea. I honestly don't know what "Only the Strong" is supposed to mean. Some suggestions are just phrases, and not actually themes. If I was custom tailoring the challenge for myself I would have backed up the Combined Weapons theme, as the current model I'm working on has twin thunder hammers. I'm not into conflict of interests though, and having a head start isn't much of a "challenge" as the thread's name would suggest.

Okay first of all, nobody has a head start, not that that would make much of a difference in a contest like this since it's not who's first to enter but who's model is best. By your standards it's also unfair because some people are better with greenstuff than others but c'est la vie.

And besides, having vaguer phrases is a lot more interesting, I'm sorry that you can't think of anything to make out of "Only the Strong" but that's a bit of the challenge ain't it? I bet if you put some effort into it you could get a really cool model out of it.

i think that the librarian idea is a good place to start. what if we did the challenge as a particular unit entry. squad sergeant, veteran, assault marine, ect. that would allow people to spend as little or as much as they wanted but would still have some limitations.

also ive never done one of yours but does the model have to be on an appropriate sized base? like a power armor model not on a term base

The only "rule" I've used in regard to this before is limiting to a 40mm max size. That way the focus is still the model itself and not the base. I mean what's stopping somewhat from building a really elaborate mountain edge with a water fall on it on a monster sized base and then putting a single Tactical marine on it? 40mm bases are large enough that if someone wants to put a little extra effort into the base they have the space to work with, but it's small enough to keep it from making the base the focus.

@ Battle-Brother Ludovic: Who said anything about dying?

I'm taking that you don't know much about Space Marines and honour. For most Astartes, losing his honour is worse than death so they would do anything, even die, than being dishonoured. Clear enough for you? Oh, and please stop flaming.

Anyway, maverkie, I really do like the theme idea, but could a theme be something like "A Knife In The Dark"? or is that not a theme for you?

Cheers,

Ludovic

Anyway, maverkie, I really do like the theme idea, but could a theme be something like "A Knife In The Dark"? or is that not a theme for you?

Cheers,

Ludovic

Honestly, anything can be a theme. Which is also part of the problem. I think the best thing I can do to help limit/control potential problems is say anything theme you suggest try to provide several sentences of explanation and examples to elaborate on the them, or a couple pictures or some combination.

So something like this:

1) Honor above all

Explanation: Space Marines, regardless of their alignment, are driven by their pride. Pride in honor, pride in name, pride in achievement. They will frequently fight all the harder when their honor and name is at risk rather then their life. The Black Templars and Word Bearers are two prime examples of this concept, but all Space Marines are honor bound in their mission. The refusal to back down from an enemy, their defining moment. Standard Bearers and Icon Bearers exemplify this belief, but it is by no means limited to those individuals.

Examples:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-HZLorI1B0w/TEi-9oxhAXI/AAAAAAAALxw/awFhuuOQulo/s800/Storm%20Wardens%20Space%20Marine%203.jpg

The Storm Warden proudly displays his heraldry and stands up for his honor.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/1/14/173442_md-Blood%20Ravens,%20Space%20Marines,%20Standard.jpg

The Blood Raven maintains his chapters colors in the heat of battle.

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/8/86/Marine.jpg

The Black Templars never back down where their honor is concerned.

http://www.ifelix.net/gamingblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/IMG_2914_1.jpg

Even the Space Wolves seek to create their own stories and draw attention to their own glory and efforts.

Does that help? Coming up with the theme statement is fine, but I think it will help if you provide examples and illustrations of what you mean by the statement.

I missed entering the last challenge by a day or so it seems but I currently have a million and one ideas bouncing around for 'Even in Death I still serve' - I take it anyone can join in? If so, consider this a vote :)

Maverike Prime. That librarian is really good, is it yours? The only thing that lets it down is the cardboard shoulder pads. Even once painted I think that rough texture will ruin it. Plasticard would probably serve much better. The trim is also a touch uneven.

I could be wrong, you could try painting it and see.

Maverike Prime. That librarian is really good, is it yours? The only thing that lets it down is the cardboard shoulder pads. Even once painted I think that rough texture will ruin it. Plasticard would probably serve much better. The trim is also a touch uneven.

I could be wrong, you could try painting it and see.

hehe it's not mine. Just an image I pulled off the internet after a google search. When I made the post I was on laptop so I didn't have access to my library of images I have on my main system. So I did a quick Google search and found examples of what I was thinking.

How about some sort of champion type thing?

Accept Any Challenge

Space Marines are well-known as great warriors and often will send their champions to defeat the enemies greatest warriors.

I also like the techmarine body. Funnily enough, I happen to have one lying around, and have been thinking of what to do with it...

It never ceases to amaze me how people say they cast their vote for an idea in this thread every time, and every time I have to explain that there is no voting for the parameters of the challenge. I distill the ideas down to individual pieces of paper, attach the pieces of paper to a dart board, put the dart board on the wall. And then either after several long Islands, or a looooong time playing pool I throw a dart. If it hits a single piece of paper, that is the parameter I use for the next challenge. If it fails to impact a single piece of paper, I retrieve the dart and try again. And typically the people around me take cover for fear of return fire.

It never ceases to amaze me how people say they cast their vote for an idea in this thread every time, and every time I have to explain that there is no voting for the parameters of the challenge. I distill the ideas down to individual pieces of paper, attach the pieces of paper to a dart board, put the dart board on the wall. And then either after several long Islands, or a looooong time playing pool I throw a dart. If it hits a single piece of paper, that is the parameter I use for the next challenge. If it fails to impact a single piece of paper, I retrieve the dart and try again. And typically the people around me take cover for fear of return fire.

I vote for this :D

• 1 month later...
sorry for the bump.

has this idea fizzled out (technical term)

it hasn't fizzled out. I've just been up to my eyes dealing with stuff for the last several weeks. It came on unexpectedly and I didn't get a chance to ask if anyone else wanted to run the next challenge. I was thinking about this last week (as I was spending my billionth hour in the car that day), and I have a plan that should allow me to run the challenge with minimal prep. I was going to post the new challenge this coming sunday.

Archived