Nicely done. He has a real "water colors" look to him which works well with the light tones of blue, white, and gray. The NMM on the Jump pack trim is pretty good. My one note is that the force weapon's blade effects may look better with sharper, definite lines instead of the wet blend on the rest of the model. Maybe not. Doesn't do anything to take away from the model.

Grats on making a Witch Worth Killing :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

Next Step: Techmarine + Servitors. I don't like the original Servitors at all. They look like fat Borg. So I decided to use Bits out of my Bitzbox which have more of the Style I want to have.

So im pleased with the result and will paint 'em fast. Next is the Techmarine himself, but im still not sure about his Torso. Pics will follow these days.

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/LrNk0kay80.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Im an interested follower of excellent modelling threads like Freakforge or Lamenter. But I was always afraid of the green-Stuff thingie cause its really hard for me to learn how it works. Ive had hours of creating frustrating Blobs out of green stuff but I wanted to give it a new try.

My Army still doesnt have a Chaptermaster and I tried to build one. I wanted to achieve a larger scale look like the artworks from Marneus Calgar and so on. Hes the 1 Master of 1000 Angels of Death so he should be bigger, smarter and wears the hardest and biggest Armor of the Chapter. So I tried Artscaling and spied how Lamenter does his Minis and learned a lot. Im very pleased with my work yet but I dont understand yet how the experts model so tiny details. Maybe better Tools or better understanding,or more expirience or tiny wimpy little hands. B)

But I learned that patience and Endurance are a key to achieve better results.

Im still not sure about the head. Will dig in my Bitzbox for a while.

C&C welcome. Thanks to Lamenter, Freakforge and many others at B&C for direct or indirect Lessons and for their amazing work that motivates me to keep trying. ;)

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/KMjCA9QpU3.jpg

Looks really good. I think the Storm Bolter-arm have kind of a booring pose, but the rest is superb.

I think it's a pretty cool pose, though maybe not for a Chapter Master leading his troops into combat. It's more of a chilled out but still threatening Clint Eastwood-esque cop. "Feeling lucky, punk?" :)

Is that a tremendous nipple on the left side of his breastplate or just a futuristic science fictioney knob thingy? :) The one thing which kinda sticks out to me (aside from that) is the join between the bands on his left shoulder plate. The edges don't come together very cleanly and kind of bulge upwards a bit. You could easily cover that with a purity seal.

The servitors are excellent. Very nice work there.

• 1 year later...

Update after long time without hobby.

Art Scale Tryout: (My second one, tried two years ago but it looked clunky, im morep leased with the result now)

Champion of the Emperor for my Templars. Still a bit WIP, Photos are taken with phone. Looks a bit messy cause of filling some holes with liquid green stuff.

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/NkM9L1IESA.jpg

For Size comparison:

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/XQiZPVQKu8.jpg

First Step:

Photo looks cruel with Desklamp and Phone. Looks a little bit better in RL.

Color is a 40/60 Mix of Chaos Black/Codex Grey on white primer, Washed with Badab Black and 3-4 Layers of lighter Chaos Black/Codex Grey Mix.

Always was only a mediocre Painter and didn't paint anything for a long while. Need to get used to it again. :sweat:

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/NJSRvlelNB.jpg

Hm, no comments yet..

Another Shot with flashlight so ignore the quality.

Finished the Banner. I don't really like it but dont want to paint the whole banner again before giving it another try.

Will think about it when the rest is done.

Im not sure now how to paint the metal and insignia. Gold or Silver? And the Blade, green , ice blue or steel?

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/KfA9FT0PmP.jpg

Half an hour earier and I would have had good light for a photo.

Finished the Emperors Champion. Im not very pleased but I'm pleased with the result. After that time without painting and a Miniature for Gaming not for Display it worked out pretty nice.

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/mgTfcbLmmA.jpg

Some c&c would be nice.

Brother Tharxes,

Well done on your Champion! He definitely looks the part. Some observations:

1. Great job on the sword. What I'm not sure of just yet is the contrast between the light metal, the lighter blade and the dark armor. Visually, its almost as if your eyes go, on/off as they move down the line of the figure. It might make sense to consider darkening the golden part of the sword a tad so that the transition isn't as stark. Still, I like it and especially the blade effects. I would add that it seems like the highlights on the handle are a bit washed out (could be the photo), but a little darkening of the recesses might be in order.

2. Helmet - Initially, it didn't blow up my kilt as it doesn't seem Templarish, which I tend to think of as more "knightly" vs. Roman. So the crest type seems to invoke a Roman style. It is growing on me, so I'm not ruling it out right now, in fact the longer I look at the figure, the more I warm up to it.

3. Pose. Win. That's about all I need to say on that. I really like the pose.

4. Scaling up: I think this is done very well. You've thickened his waist so he doesn't look waspish with the extension of his legs. So thumbs up on that.

5. I think you nailed the black pretty well. The highlights are scaled right for the black that you have (i.e. not extreme highlights) and that appeals to me because I am a big fan of soft contrasts. One of the things you can check on is whether the highlights are consistent with the imagine source. For example, on the ear pad of the helmet, you might expect just a touch to bring that out a bit since it does protrude. Also check the fingers of the sword hand. You want to be sure that if the light is flowing from this " / " sort of a diagonal, that the highlight is brightest along that direction. I think you've got it pretty much nailed, but there are a couple of spots that aren't showing up as prominently as you might want.

6. Moldline: This is a bummer, because it's right out in front on the left gauntlet. You may not want to change anything and just chalk it up as a learning. If you think you can file it down and then redo the paint, you might consider this. The mold line caught my eye as I'm working on around 40 guys and I can not tell you how many mold lines I ran into in prominent places and it really annoyed me. So I filed them down and re-applied the paint. Did I tell you how much I love doing something twice? :P

7. Banner: This is well proportioned and shaded well. I think you did a great job on the helmet freehand. If I was going to offer one area of comment for improvement, It would be the crosses. You have put so much effort into this guy it seems like the crosses should be a little more refined. Even if all you do is cap off end cross end with a small dash, I think it would greatly enhance the overall feel of the banner. If you're really feeling like kicking the dragon in the teeth, then I would try to get the crosses to look more maltese cross looking.

8. Base: It appears as if any highlights have been washed out. I think to bring the detail out a tad, I would drybrush a light sand color over it. You could also add some static grass for additional base goodness.

So, I would first off say that you've done a very good job, especially since you've incorporated some major conversion work to bring him together. You have done a very solid job on the painting and even taken some chances with the NMM on the sword guard. I'm not that brave. He does go together very well.

I would be honored to fight next to him.

Well done Brother!

Thanks Honda, that was the type of comment I was waiting for. I'll answer your list.

1. I'm no longer firm with NMM and I tried another way his time, which goes a lot faster than my old technique. (Tried the one from the Magmatrax Tutorial in the past). The bright color is the reason I decided not to apply gold in chest and leg symbols but sword only. I would like to darken it a bit, but I'm afraid I have no clue how to darken it without repainting it completely. The photos is eating some transition colors but you're right. Will highlight the sword handle again, its barely visible.

2. Yes, thought of that but I like the Helmet-Style, the Laurel is roman too and often used for many things. I'll stick with it for the Champ cause I think it fits this Miniature and let him stand out a bit when combined with other troops.

3. Thanks, Im really pleased with the Pose.

4. Thanks again, its my second attempt on Artscaling and I wans't pleased with my first one but this one did work out well.

5. Will look over it when its daylight again. My bad Desklamp doesnt help much when it comes to soft color changes, especially with dark colors. The photo eats some of the shades too.

6. You're right. Did miss that one. I think I'm going to change that.

7. Yes I'm not pleased with the Banner but shading the cloth was a lot of work so I resisted to repaint it completely. But probalby I'll do. Will try to repair the part with the crosses and the Rex word.

8. Yes, saw that and already highlighted it again after posting the photo.

Thanks for your comment, will upload a slightly updated Version tomorrow.

Nice work brother, the rescale work is very well done and you have a good solid paint job. Do you use a daylight bulb in your desk lamp? if not its a great way to get nice working light in the evenings or dark winter days.

Keep up the good work.

After watching the fantastic work of Sioka and Lamenter, and other dedicated sculpters who impressed me much, I decided to learn more about scuplting. Some Questions and Answers later I'm ready to tryout more.

I'm going to grow on bigger projects, I'll do Grimaldus and his three little Servants. But before I can realise such a complicated project, I need to get more expirience and tools.

Ordered some Sculpting Tools, Clay Shapers and some Milliput and other Putty. Until now I only own a GW Modeling tool and some Greenstuff and Brownstuff.

So I'll build for a Techmarine to learn some things until my Tools arrive.

Experimented a bit with different timings and stuff and even if I'm not satisfied, I already learned much until now and hope I' llearn a lot more.

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/aosX9bkP3P.png

Thanks Brothers from B&C for your impressive work which motivates me to get better.

I think you have done a great job on the legs so far. I find it very hard sculpting hard edges, but your's look very good. I like the tubes between torso and legs as well, mine look always to thick and not "right".

I heard a lot of good things about clay shapers. I don't have any, but I will purchase some in the future for sure.

Great job keep it up !

• 2 weeks later...

A little more done, I'm slowly getting used to sculpting. My Tools still didn't arrive so I only have Green and Brown Stuff and the GW Scultping tool. But I'm pleased how this turns out. More practice, more expirience, better results. Still not at the end of the road. ;)

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/GxcrAF1b3T.jpg

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/S2bdFzPYSq.jpg

Looking good mate, seems you are getting to grips with the chains and stuff in no time at all. On the subject of tools dont forget you can make some yourself from bits at home, some of my favourite tools are free and homemade.

Archived