Sons of Malice, 'Batko Blacks' 7th Company - a WIP project

GooseDaMoose

Yeah I looked at some Maori tattoos that's what inspired it, but as MagicMan said I don't want to cover up his whole face. I'm gonna try and make some points though.

Haha no no, it's fine, mikhail that's basically how I did it too, cept that for each row I angled the pin down slightly so it looks like chain links. I can't really find the words to explain it, and I can't find the tutorial I used but I found one on B&C that's similar:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...showarticle=436

I went from left to right instead of up and down though.

Good luck!

Looking forward to it mikhail!

Some more progress on Batko:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/BatkoScout002.jpg

What's the verdict? I know it's pretty messy painting, but I'm okay with that ;) I'm gonna give the axe-head green glowing eyes and at some point the gold is gonna get a highlight.

Also, I tried making some points to his warpaint, but it's just too small for me to see or do. So here's the final warpaint:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/BatkoScout005.jpg

I've also finally bought the Death Company box, Scouts and Devastators. An all heavy bolter squad, here I come! ;) I will have a picture of a prototype Scout very soon!

As always, C&C is very welcome!

Both the axe and the warpaint looks great. The warpaint alomost looks like he carved the lines into his face, very cool. Keep it up, brother!

Thank you :wacko:

I have made my first scout! Presenting Brother-Scout Buda

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/BatkoScout006.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/BatkoScout007.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/BatkoScout008.jpg

I'm pretty proud of the Skull Mask, since it's the first one I've ever made. The pose is in honour of Sir Firepower's suggestion for one of my Assault Marines. He will be holding a severed head in his other hand.

Finally got to get through your log and I like what I have seen.

For the white paintjob you have done I like the brown on the edges to give it a worn in/dirtied look. I may have to copy that as I had been wondering how to make the white not so clean looking. Also, that scout is awesome, really like the sculpt work you have done for that mask.

What codex are you going to use for this army?

What's his other arm doing? Flexing?

It's going to be holding a severed head ;)

What codex are you going to use for this army?

I have no idea. I was thinking of making it usable with the CSM and normal SM codices, but since I don't have either of them it might not be entirely legal :P I'm mostly doing it for fun.

Anyway, thanks for the comment! I'm quite happy with the paintjob and it's reasonably simple, if a bit time-consuming :P but it's worth it! Especially if it inspires someone else to do the same!

So will you have bikers to represent tachankas? Batko Makhno invented them after all (or so they say) :)

Hahaha you better believe he did! Ain't no doubt about it :) But I was rather thinking modified Land Speeders, I think I remember someone converting one into a buggy, so that's the plan ;) if I get that far..

@malika666 Thanks so much! I'm glad to hear my humble army has inspired you, perhaps we'll be hearing from your Sons of Malice some time soon? :)

Greetings!

Meet the WiP of Brother-Chaplain "Deathwhisper" Durutti.

So without further ado, here's what I have so far:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/ChaplainMaul002.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/ChaplainMaul003-1.jpg

His legs; the GS parchment was my first attempt so some C&C would be great! :D

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/ChaplainMaul005.jpg

His powerpack with a Dark Angel head and a bag o' goodies ;) and then his shield which I was thinking of just hanging off his pack. Also I'm thinking of replacing the lion with a skull? Or maybe I could incorperate into his fluff, cuz my GS skulls kinda suck..

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/ChaplainMaul004.jpg

Said to be older than Brother-Anarch Kathal himself, some speculations even suggest that he is an ex-Ultramarines Chaplain who went renegade sometime even before the founding of the Sons of Malice after seeing the lies and pointless superstition of the Imperial dogma, though he rarely speaks about his past, or at all. Whoever he was before joining the "Batko Blacks," he is a trusted advisor and voice of reason for the Council of the Doomed Ones, and indeed, for the whole 7th Company. Wisest of the Company, if not the whole Chapter, he leads 7th Company's rituals before and after battle where the flesh of the enemy is consumed for the power it holds. During battle he leads a squad of Brother-Marines who, over the years, have eaten too much human and xenos flesh and subsequently gone insane. These brothers, while still functional in the company's day to day duties, go into a frenzy at the taste or smell of blood and spend the battle in a crazed, berserker state and only the calm, commanding presence of Brother-Chaplain Durutti can calm them enough to take orders.

Having served Malal for so long (indeed longer than any other person ever has managed) Durutti's helmet and face seem to have become indistinguishable from each other.

"Even following Malal is an act of self-destruction, for the relationship between follower and patron is parasitical - servitude draining the very soul of the devotee until it withers away." (Lexicanum on Malal)

So, it'd be cool if anyone was interested enough to read it and give me feedback ^_^ and perhaps a suggestion for a suitably Chaplain-y weapon that's not a Crozius?

I've been watching this thread, as sons of malice are one of my favorite warbands. I love the scout's scull mask and pretty much everything you are doing with the SOM in general.

Using the Ork Pauldron on the lord is sweet. I might be stealing the idea. I will probably steal the polarm guy's gladiatorialesque helmet idea as well. Keep up the good work, things are looking awesome, and I cant wait to see this army finished.

How are you doing the eyes in post 43? I'm trying to go for a similar look to simulate a reflection, but I gave up and went with dimly lit instead.

Edit: Oh yeah! I forgot to mention how freaking cool the warpaint looks!

Cool to see you are building up your chaplain. Interesting fluff behind him too. My only critique would be the neck for the head as it looks a bit long. I'm sure a bit of time and a file could help that if you choose to do so. As for a weapon I'd say go with a crozius of some kind or staff with a headpiece like the loyalist SM Librarian in Termie Armor. And have you seen any other sources that use the term brother-anarch? I know their chapter master is reffered to as The Anarch but I used the brother-anarch term for any SoM because it seems cool like Brother-Slaughterer.

Seeing your activity makes me wish I had brough bigger luggage on my trip so I could have brought my Sons :huh:

So I'm back! With an update! Yeah, I know you missed me :lol:

But first:

@Vairocanum Thank you, believe me I have no idea how I managed to make it look good at all, before starting this army my Greenstuff skillz were absolute crap but they seem to have magically gotten better like overnight :D And his head is from a WHFB Khornate Champion I think.

@Fortnight Hey thanks man! It's good to meet another Sons of Malice fan, and to know that even though I don't always get comments, there are still people watching lol I'm glad to be of some help inspiring. The idea for the eyes I actually got from Kapturowski's 13th Company who does it WAY better than me. But yeah, he got it from here.

@hushrong Thank you kindly! I see what you mean with the neck, I think I shall shorten it a bit. As for the staff thing, I will at some point be making a librarian aswell, so I'm keeping the staff option open for him, plus I don't think it really fits a guy who goes into battle leading a pack of bloodthirsty maniacs. I wanna give him a weapon that's good for slaughtering :P The term Brother-Anarch I actually kinda made myself. I mean, I got Anarch from the pre-existing fluff, but I make a habit of putting "Brother" before any official title in my company cuz I've imagined it to be a very egalitarian company, if you read my earlier fluff where every Space Marine is considered equal and ranks are mostly there for administrative reasons; they're brothers first, sergeants/commanders/chaplains/librarians second.

@malika666 I would but don't deamons sorta dissolve when they're killed?

Okay onto my somewhat minor update. I just wanted everyone to see how hockey-stick guy is doing. I think people might be a bit dissapointed since everyone was super excited about the falx idea, but don't worry! It's not gone!

Presenting Brother-Councillor Sha'Auum:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/ChaplainMaul006.jpg

Previously of The Salamanders legion, Sha'Auum left the "light" of the Imperium after he and his only surviving squadmate were castigated for allowing the Munitions Factorum to fall into enemy hands after almost his entire squad was killed defending the escape route of the fleeing civilian population of Trion Primus. Seeing the Imperium's true ideals he soon escaped and only months later was found by Batko's agents. Being friendly of nature and an astute tactician as well as a massively strong man, his abilities were soon recognised by his new brothers and he quickly rose through the ranks of the 7th Company. Now he fights on the Council of the Doomed Ones, an able warrior, and a valued member of his adopted Chapter.

I think it's unorthodox for a chaplain to go into battle without a crozius arcanum (even though mine uses a scythe :D ) but I think if he leads crazed brothers into battle perhaps a Chainaxe? I think that would be very fitting as it is symbolic of close quarters butchering. How are you going about your librarian? I have been looking back and forth on the GW website an other sources for ideas for a termie one. One thing I am really wondering about is how to do a staff weapon that isn't chaos or loyalist. I dont want something too pointy or with eagles on top of the staff. I may end up stealing a Shamn style from the wolves.

And how will you paint your Chaplain and Librarian? I am thinking I will go with the standard quartered black and white as the Sons of Malice weren't too keen on the whole "How to Organize your Space Marines for Dummies" by Roboute Gulliman. Perhaps for the Librarian have one arm in a dark blue to show his former office.

I also like the idea "outsiders" joining the ranks. I had often wondered how they would recruit(if they do) and that seems to be one of the only few ways as they are cut off from their home world. Pretty interesting ideas you have bud, we should compare notes one day haha.

Sorry for the wall of text and looking forward some painted Sons!

Then it's decided! He shall carry a chainaxe. He actually has been for a while but I could never decide if it was good enough :D but you made up my mind.

Librarian-wise I was thinking a force staff topped with a beastmen-esque skull. Sorta like the White Scars' Stormseers and then a bunch of tribal trophies and stuff. I'll be painting both the Chaplain and the Librarian in the traditional colours, though I think I might give them a black and white shoulder pad. Sons of Malice librarians are known to wear the traditional blue uniform I think, though it may be just fan-fluff:

"Another peculiarity amongst the Sons of Malice when compared again to renegade chapters is that the psykers of the chapter have retained the traditional blue uniform of loyal librarians." From Malal Lives

@malika666 I would but don't deamons sorta dissolve when they're killed?

I don't know, some of the artwork seems to depict some characters (Grey Knights mostly) with dead demons in their hands.

We'll see then. I tried sculpting a face cuz I don't have any demon heads, and it didn't really work out :P

Archived