Sons of Malice, 'Batko Blacks' 7th Company - a WIP project

GooseDaMoose

@everyone Thank you for your comments, very inspiring! :D

@1000heathens You better believe it buddy. I've promised myself to wait until at least after I finish my LPC vow though :devil: which means the Chaplain and Assault Sarge have to be done first.. Gah I can't wait.

@DarkApostleThirst Batko wasn't actually on the mission. It was led by the ex-Alpha Legionnaire Commander Asti (if you don't remember him, he was the one that helped Batko change the ways of his company) who, unfortunately, perished during the ambush and has now been interred in a Dreadnought. Oh yeah baby..

I'm not gonna change the snout colour I think it'll stand out too much, but I have washed it with Badab Black to try and get the details to be a bit more visible, maybe a highlight is in order aswell..

As for the fluff, I like some of it, but I can't have him leading the escape because both the Chaplain and Captain Laerza are survivors of the ambush aswell :) wouldn't look very good for them if a lowly Tac Marine took control now would it? But the rally point thing is good. I'll work on it a bit more. Thanks for the input though!

And again, thank you everyone for the comments!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Goose,

Sorry not been in touch for a while but wow has the stuff you've put up recently been awesome!

I'm loving Laerza he looks truly great and as for Batko :jaw: what more can I say - and I really do love the tribal tat really inspired me for my next project!

So when you gonna get some more models up?

Also I second what 1000Heathens has asked you going to do a dread any time soon?

Keep up the great work ;)

Well hell Bolt16 thank you! I really look forward to what you have planned! Black Wings huh? ;)

The dreadnought will be started SOOOOOOON. As soon as I finish my LPC vow and get off my butt and buy the kit. Good news is, I have pictures up which brings me very close to finishing my LPC; only jetpacks, powerpack and highlights on the Chaplain, and finishing the Berserkir Sergeant.

ONTO THE PICTURES:

First up, we have our very new Berserkir Sergeant Illich, because I thought "What kinda weapon is a spear for a crazy, violent, bloodthirsty madman like the Berserker!?" Then I realised that the historic Berserkers actually fought with spears. But whatevs ^_^ I like the new weapon a lot more anyway:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally003.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally001.jpg

And here we have it, fashioned out of the bones of a Twilight Bear:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally002-1.jpg

I should've probably painted them but hopefully you can see it? Anyway it's based on (read: nicked from) the Space Sharks Chapter Master on Forgeworld. Two cooler lightning claws, I never saw. I know it's impractical to use only one lightning claw but I thought it looked better this way, maybe I'll make an updated one sometime in the future.

Next we have the painted Chaplain Durutti. As you can see, I painted the Powerfist white and goryfied it up a bit instead of painting it all red. He's almost finished:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally004.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally006.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome and encouraged!

I now need some advice from y'all! Remember flamer guy with dreads?

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally008.jpg

Yes, it's Darth Maul. Some wicked war-tattooing, if I do say so myself. However, I'm not entirely sure if it works, like at all. It definitely doesn't work with his current hair colour but I'm wondering if I give him slightly yellow-ish blonde hair, if that will work, since Darth Maul had those yellow horns, or if it's just too silly to keep.

And finally, my scouts have started getting their camo on but, again, I'm not sure about the colour. They stand midnight-clad at the moment:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally009.jpg

What say ye?

Last, I leave you with this teaser of either an Iron Warrior or some new homebrew chapter, the Marines Hospitaller:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/Finally011.jpg

Which will it be?! Only time will tell what this bad boy will become! ;)

That Sorceror looks fantastic! I really want to steal that idea from you ;). Don't add a jaw bone as it is so much more imposing and 'spooky' without one. I really like the gritty paint scheme your using as well. The reposing of the 'scouts' is pretty cool too, as is your chaplain.

James

Man, you have no shortage of ideas! I have struggled with cloaks alot, they seem to always seem lumpy and the uneven. I have found that rolling your GS super thin into a sheet, slapping it on and letting it dry smooth flat and boring works best. Then when it's able to take some pressure, roll on GS sausages to build up the folds. Or, if you don't mind cheating, grab a marine scout model and press your GS over the cloak as thin as possible, trim and let dry on the model. Peel it off after it dries, glue it on and add GS to smooth out and enhance it.

Keep going crazy, this post is a blast to follow so far!

edit: Hah! I was reading this post on page one and responded to that page, I am a geek.

Looking really good brother! Love the Twilight Bear fist ^_^ The pose is amazing and definitely gives the berzerker feel. The Chaplain is coming together very well, good choice on painting the fist white and adding the gore. And I'm loving the Darth Maul face tattoos. Cant wait to see more and I promise I'll get back to my Sons as soon as possible ;)

@Venemox: Perhaps in the 40k section of the site. Go to the Fantasy section and put his name in, he'll show up but as (outdated). There was some copyright issues with the author who created Malal and basically wont allow GW to use the character after he left. However GW has managed their way around this and renamed him Malice :o

Heres the Lexicanum entry for both....

MALAL

"Malal is a renegade Chaos God who for unknown reasons turned against his peers and wishes to destroy them. His followers, sometimes called the Doomed Ones, constantly search for worshippers of the other Chaos god in order to destroy them"

MALICE

"Malice is an entity worshipped as the Renegade God of Chaos and Hierarch of Anarchy and Terror. The Renegade Chapter Sons of Malice are among his followers."

He was also described as half crocodile half bird yet wholy humanoid in appearance (yeah I know its confusing but he is the god of Anarchy;)). AND he does have minor daemons who were very skinny and had crocodile skulls and long boney blades protruding from their hands.

Mr.Malevolent

The only fix I would make, is that the guy with the bear pelt is going to lose his pelt pretty quickly with that kind of mometum :tu:

Don't worry bout it, it's stapled to his armour :o

Staples - even insane warriors who have no life beside death use them for decoration ^_^

I figured as much, though, just thought I'd remind you so that you can tell when the model is done, even if it's subtle.

Alright I was hoping to wait with commenting until I had the finished Sarge to show you but it's going slower than expected, mainly due to being distracted by another project which I look forward to showing you all :) but all in time..

@Pig of Sparta Thank you man, I'm flattered that you would steal from lowly me. Go right ahead! :D

@Natanael, smallvictory, Mr.Malevolent, vairocanum, -Max-, Terminatorinhell and hushrong Thanks for the support and comments! And for the advice.

@Venemox Next thing you know they'll be coming after me! :o

@Dark Apostle Thirst I don't think it will be a problem since it will be pinned under his jetpack, I think people'll get that it ain't going nowhere :P

For now I'd like to thank everyone again for your comments, you're really inspiring me! Does no one have any suggestions for Darth Maul's hair or the scouts?

Imitation and inspiration, both form the beating heart of this hobby, as well as the sincerest form of homage, so with that in mind I've tried something with the idea and as soon as I can get a decent photo of it, I'll stick it up in the IBH thread (I've tried using my phone's camera and it's just not happening!), mine involves guitar wire and no hood though....

cheers

James

@Pig of Sparta Hey now.. nothing too awesome you hear? :D haha but I look forward to seeing it!

Alright I've finished the Sarge (except for jumpacks which will come later for all the Berserkers.. and his damn purity seal which I somehow overlooked) and I've ordered a Venerable Dreadnought! BOOYAH! I can simply not wait to start work on that badboy.

But this basically means that I've fulfilled my vow (after some minor deets) so yay for me! :huh:

Brother-Sergeant Illich! Yes, he kinda looks like Robin from Batman but shush you nay-sayer:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/SoS003.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/SoS002.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/SoS006.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/SoS004.jpg

Brother-Sergeant "the Bear" Illich was the first member of 7th Company not to completely fall to the Bloodlust, an affliction which affects those Sons who over the years have consumed too much human and/or xenos flesh. As Space Marines, they are immune to the worst of the effects which cannibalism would have on a regular human being. However, in the Sons of Malice, it will trigger a genetic flaw in their geneseed which causes them to go into a berserker state when faced with the smell of blood. At the time of Illich's onset of the Bloodlust the he had been on the surface of Scelus with a contingent of Space Marines to pick recruits from their world's feral population. During a cannibalistic welcoming ritual, Illich felt the first signs of the rage coming and, intent on keeping good relations with the village he excused himself from the party to make sure they would be out of danger when his rage finally came.

Illich spent 11 days and nights in the Scelus wilderness, without his armour or weapons. During this time he wandered like a beast through the black, rocky landscape, growling and gnashing his teeth like a madman; he would have been deemed a lost man by any who witnessed it. On the 11th day he entered the highest crags on the northest continent of Scelus, the Black Kush Mountains, the home of the dreaded Twilight Bears of Scelus. It was here that he encountered the greatest of the species of Twilight Bear, the Ahau Mairu Bear, roughly translated as Emperor of Giants in the native dialect. On all fours, each stands a full head taller than a Space Marine.

Illich and the bear fought and wrestled for a full day (according Illich's own version, which is a dubious source, being the spinner of tall tales that he is) until dusk of the 11th day when he finally managed to throw it off one of the high crags and impale it on the sharp black rocks below. On the morning of the 12th day the search party found Illich lying on the dead bear, exhausted. When Illich woke up aboard Noam's Vengeance he found himself cured of the rage with blood-soaked memories of the past fortnight. Since then, every brother to fall to the Bloodlust is sent to complete the Trial of the Bear on Scelus and if they kill a Twilight Bear with nothing but their hands, they can consume its heart in offering to Malal and to gain its strength in battle. Only then, are they accepted into Illich's elite Assault Squad, the Berserkers, bedecked in the furs of the slain creature. In battle the present a formidable force of bloodcrazed lunatics, as martially able as, but more composed than, the best (or worst) of Khorne's Champions!

Note: it is unsure whether the consumption of the bear's heart actually does have medicinal properties in partially curing the Bloodlust, or if it's psychosomatic, but those who complete the Bear's Quest survive the affliction at a much higher rate than those who don't.

Note: the Ahau Mairu Bear, being the apex predator of Scelus, is not black-furred like the lesser species of the Twilight Bear, which is why Illich's fur is a much lighter colour than the rest of the squad's furs, as they only manage to slay the Black Twilight Bears (so far anyway) which are camouflaged against the black landscape of Scelus.

Phew-y. Well, sorry for that wall of text gents, but if you're interested I think it's well worth the read ^_^

C&C welcome and appreciated!

The pose on that assault/raptor with the twilight bear claw is absolutley sick and awe-inspiring, man. God, I love what you've been doing with these guys, keep up the great work bro!

P.S. On a side note, I'm building more fluff for my Marines Malevolent, and was thinking that the Sons and the MM would have been allies before the Sons got excommunicated, maybe even close brothers. Now, they are the the absolute nemesis of each other, and will do anything to hunt each other to extinction. What'cha think?

Thanks Nat! :D

1000heathens you are too kind man! That sounds really cool though, I love it, are you gonna publish all your MM fluff anywhere, or is it more of a personal thing?

I think that would work, although each Sons of Malice warband works pretty independently from each other now, before their excommunication they would have been a cohesive chapter and so could work with one of the MM Crusades closely until their fall. However, are you sure your MMs would be okay with the whole cannibalism thing?

Oh my. I leave your thread for a day or so and I come back to see amazing painted goodness! I am loving your expansion on the Twilight Bear's. Your painting is getting better and better every time man.

However, are you sure your MMs would be okay with the whole cannibalism thing?

Well you know the Sons would be really good at hiding it especially amongst brother Chapters, at least that's what I think. I mean the only reason they were excommunicated is because some pain in the arse Inquisitor had to poke her nose around after a battle... stupid Inquistor... got what she deserved anyways :D

Mr.Malevolent

Wow man thank you so much! :D I hoped it'd be okay with you to expand a bit on the Twilight Bears so I'm glad you like it.

As for the Cannibalism thing, I've always thought of my Sons as proud of their heritage. Being very aware of their differences from "normal" humans, they seek to connect as much as they can with their human side, not happy with being just wolves to be released at the whim of some fat man's needs, spending all their spare time training. So my Sons try as much as possible to keep a connection to primitive human societies which they see as the purest and most noble in which all humans work together for a cooperative existance. Thus, ancient rituals, trials and tribal traditions appeal to them and they proudly keep in touch with these as much as possible. Part of ancient human rituals often feature cannibalism as a symbolic way of honouring strong defeated enemies, fallen comrades or as a rite of passage to becoming a "man." So I don't think the Sons of Malice would hide their cannibalistic traditions, at least not 7th Company.

The fact that the Inquisitor declared them traitors shows how far the Imperium has fallen from its pure and original ideals; of a cooperative, united human society that spanned the stars.

WALLS OF TEXT FTW!

^_^

Archived