Glory and Hate! A Marines Malevolent Project

Hyaenidae

Push you to your limit. :D

*imagining a movie montage with 'push it to the limit' playing.

I need to stop watching television.

The command squad is looking good heathens, I especially like the apothecary! Also, great GS work for the first shirt.

@Vairo: I like the ruined power sword myself, it helps reinforce the idea that my guys are on their last legs. Thanks man!

@Darth Potato: Thank you! From the elbow up, the infernus pistol arm from the DC box, the fist itself was from the DA upgrade box, with the sword and halo shaved off. The guitar wire? Not sure what gauge, to be honest. I have a pile of the stuff, and I just use what looks best.

@Hushrong, Nemesor: Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------FLUFF WARNING!!!!!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High Chaplain Sabaktes, Master of Kindred of the Marines Malevolent, has been attached to the IV Centuria for 60 standard Terran years, along with a five man detatchment of the Lord Commanders' I Centuria, known as 'The Pride' (Note: Sternguard Vets). Ever since the IV Centuria's crippling and heavy losses during The Poisoning, the war against their former honour-brothers of the Sons of Malice, the IV has been facing disbanding and reassignment, based on Sabaktes's assessment and final judgement. That Hero-Captain Constatine has kept the Centuria together for this long under Sabaktes cold gaze is a testament to his dogged determination to honour his long dead mentor and former Captain, and to bring an end to the Sons of Malice once and for all. Despite this, and the IV gains in the last few years, High Chaplain Sabatkes has yet to decide if the IV are worthy to continue existing, or if a new Centuria should be born of the ashes of Hero-Captain Constatine's failure.

Under his Mark VI warplate, Sabaktes is a scarred, ruined, monster of a man. Centuries ago, as a Battle-Brother in the VII Centuria, Sabaktes's squad was torn apart by the Emperor's Children warband of Infernal Lord Valus, and Sabaktes himself captured. The young warrior was subject to months of torture and experimentation until a Marine Malevolent Vengance strike force caught up with the warband and scattered them. The strike team leader was shocked to find the still breathing man-corpse within the meathook filled torture chamber, and impressed with the bittery cold hatred eminating from his bloodshot eyes, but a broken brother would be a burden upon the resource-poor Chapter, and the Lord Commanders Laws of Survival were absolute. Just as he was pulling the trigger of his bolt pistol to cut the miserable brother's thread, a Chaplain attached to the strike force slapped the weapon away. He saw the frigid fire in the crucified brother's soul, and knew the potential in his eyes. The Chaplain offered the broken Sabaktes to cast aside his old life, and take upon his shoulders the Black Mantle, if he could only survive. Sabaktes agreed, and the Chaplain overruled the strike force commander's decision. The Chaplaincies Laws of Mantlehood were far older, dating back to the Chapter's Founding, and could not be broken or overturned. And so, Brother Sabaktes was taken aboard the Chapter's Flagship, the Eternal Vigilance, and thus began five years of reconstructive surgery, and another twenty years of training in the Halls of Brotherhood, before finally taking up the death mask of a Chaplain. Two hundred and twenty years later, after the violent death of his mentor, and as the oldest of his order, Sabaktes became the High Chaplain of the Marines Malevolent, a master of broken brotherly faith within a dying Chapter. As he watches the Marines Malevolent fall apart around him, Sabaktes falls deeper and deeper into a well of pure hate, becoming more bitter as the years go by, and utterly unforgiving to any failures within his own Brothers.

gallery_37532_5399_600821.png

gallery_37532_5399_664152.png

gallery_37532_5399_29272.png

Ach, I would've said you could have turned the power mace into a nice Crozius by just using those little brass aquilla forge world do and putting them bent inbetween the fins, but I think it looks brilliant as it is.

Hey, I love what i've seen of this army, though granted I have yet to take the time and read through all 29 pages.

One tip, I've always liked doing battle damage with a tiny drillbit (or pin vise as they are called apparently), just kind of drill the tip of the bit in so it looks like a crater in the armor. if you paint the inside of the crater metallic and stipple a little black/rust whatever around it, it looks like the marine survived some direct hits from small arms. You could also chip some of the sharper edges of the armor with a knife to show close combat/shrapnel hits the marine and his armor shrugged off.

They also look nice because the effect is on the model, and not just a paint effect (not to say your technique is bad, I love your distress and weathering.)

Just some ideas.

-SPNKR

Wow.

The fluff for him is awesome.

I feel the model still lacks the "I'm the Master of bloody Sanctity, you're the next die you censored.gif " Well, the last bit is there, but you get what I'm saying.

Still a great chaplain though, just not Master of Sanctity status.

i'm not sure I agree with you, chaplains do teaches that you don't need any chapel in order to worship, as the masacre of the Emperor's ennemies is the purest of all prayers.

that specific chaplain might just have stick too much on that point of the cathechism.

1000heathens, I really like this model, it highlights perfectly the feeling of a figure of death and despair that should inspire Chaplains.

Wow.

The fluff for him is awesome.

I feel the model still lacks the "I'm the Master of bloody Sanctity, you're the next die you censored.gif " Well, the last bit is there, but you get what I'm saying.

Still a great chaplain though, just not Master of Sanctity status.

i'm not sure I agree with you, chaplains do teaches that you don't need any chapel in order to worship, as the masacre of the Emperor's ennemies is the purest of all prayers.

that specific chaplain might just have stick too much on that point of the cathechism.

1000heathens, I really like this model, it highlights perfectly the feeling of a figure of death and despair that should inspire Chaplains.

True. However, a Master of Sanctity would have a ton of honours and decorations over his service, especially one like this - all of those vows and failings that his brothers have? He doesn't have them, instead he has all the stuff that he has done and finished pinned to his armour.

@Everyone: Thank you for all the kind comments. I really appreciate it!

@DA Thirst, tiny sam, retributis, and ...well, everyone else: And so we come to the issue I'm having translating my thoughts into mini's, lol. Salamander by Mr. Kyme brought my MM's to life, and I feel these quotes say it all...(SPOILER WARNING!!!)

'Every suit amongst them, bar none, was patched and chipped...it was armour made to last, not in the sense of its superior forging or exceptionally durable craftmanship; rather, it was battle-plate that had seen hundreds, perhaps thousands, of victories and been strung back together and hammered into shape by any means neccessary in order that it saw another.

'But these warriors were hard-bitten veterans, every single one. They didn't have the forges or the technological mastery of the Salamanders. They were seldom re-supplied or their materiel restocked or replenished. They knew only war, and fought it so relentlessly and without cessation that their equipment was battered almost to destruction.'

So, a Chapter at the edge of extinction, broken and dying slowly, it's armouries bare and it's forges cold; yet, it is unable to stop this decline simply because of their nature...they must wage war unceasingly, because they hate that much. My Centuria (company) doen't look hideous and battered because of a long campain, they look like this because of centuries of reversals and unending combat, shifting from one warzone to the next without stopping to recuperate even once. To my line of thinking (which is usually faulty anyway, lol), I wouldn't think even the highest ranking Astartes of the Marines Malevolent would be free of these issues. A High Chaplain especially, as he would always have be seen leading from the front, and thus would take quite a bit of damage. With few supplies, and no desire to fix anything but the most critical of damage so as to continue fighting, I imagined this High Chaplain as very utilitarian, with little in the way of decoration, because he has no dang time to bond that bit of gold filgree, or write those incantations on his war plate. On top of this, any section of plate that was totally beyond repair would have to be replaced in the quickest, simplest way availible...by using the same bare plate his brothers wear, probably cannibalized from one who just died.

In closing, Mr. Thirst, 9 times out of 10, I'd agree a Chaplain like this would not fit the bill...unless he was a Marine Malevolent. :P

• 2 weeks later...

First Sergeant Uriah Jakobs, IV Centuria Command Squad

gallery_37532_5399_392220.png

gallery_37532_5399_249278.png

gallery_37532_5399_815459.png

Brother Shel, IV Centuria Command Squad - Please note the IV Centuria Symbol, a snake writhing in a chalice, representing the Centuria's terrible luck and slow poisoning. My Hero-Captain adopted the symbol upon taking over the Centuria...he has a morbid sense of humour, heh heh.

gallery_37532_5399_450644.png

gallery_37532_5399_1112784.png

gallery_37532_5399_891623.png

Sorry for the darker pics, this new camera is a serious piece of crap... :P

Really great thread 1000heathens! Your Marines look the way marines should, merciless, uncompromising and brutal.

The high chaplain is a particular favourite, especially the FW RG head and the lightning effect on his mace/crozius. I might have to copy your technique when i get to painting the lightning on my WIP NLs.

• 2 weeks later...

@Blindhamster: What? You mean your Chapter doesn't get dental? We do...but our retirement package sucks. Thanks, I'll get right on that! Oh, and the army shot will happen after the Captain is finished.

@Terminatorinhell, Olisredan, Kizzdougs: Thanks, much appreciated!

The big move to Alaska is coming ever closer, so I haven't had a whole lot of time to paint lately. Nonetheless, I try to get some mini time in when I can...

Brother Phorcys, IV Centuria Command Squad

gallery_37532_5399_759871.png

gallery_37532_5399_43425.png

gallery_37532_5399_901658.png

Brother Xi-Yun, IV Centuria Command Squad

gallery_37532_5399_458573.png

gallery_37532_5399_1027574.png

gallery_37532_5399_283371.png

And a sneak peek into the future (Very very very WIP; She was a salvage that was to become a piece of scenery, lol. Glad I was able to save her)

gallery_37532_5399_282686.png

YES! AN UPDATE! HURRAY!

Anyways.... love Brother Phorcys. Definitely looks like hes about to grab someones shoulder and stab that sword straight through the lungs. The shields look awesome by the way, I think they work very well. Kudos to salvaging the Pred. I'm in the process of salvaging some oldies for my current project.

Love the bodge-job predator there, very in keeping with your army's character so far. The marines also look great - suitable additions, I'd say. :rolleyes:

Archived