This is the Liber Astartes, PART II

Shinzaren

If anyone is curious, there was a very specific method to who got a mention in the newest story entry. Can anyone figure out what method was used? :)

I haven't got a clue. I'm still surprised I'm mentioned if I'm honest :)

This looks like a lot of fun, but I know of one sect of the Liber that has gone under- or un-represented: THE LURKERS.

We hide in the shadows, and because we are hidden, we are free.....

(cue awesome introduction: rock organ music/gregorian chanting!)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Brother-Scribe Agustus Mergisto stalked dejectedly from the council chambers of the Liber's highest court. His robes were spattered with red ink, torn scraps of his manuscript, and the other shames and injustices that had been heaped upon him by the elite meritocracy that was the Liber Council.

"Those fools! How dare they besmirch my hard work, effort, and creativity!" Additional curses flowed from his lips, and he stormed down the hallway, heading to the Chambers of Relief and Purification. He traded his soiled robes for cleaner garb, and once he had bathed and been scrubbed down by the servitors, he took the new datapad that had his life's ambitions on it and began to head to the Librarium, to begin anew the task of revision and cross-referencing his manuscript with currently accepted doctrines of history.

But he never made it there. In a corridor, unmarked by any device, portal, or doorframe, the scribe heard a whisper, a mechanical vox-voice calling.

"Brother-scribe!"

He looked about, trying to find the source of the voice.

"Brother-scribe! Are you alone in the hallway?"

The scribe looked around nervously, but the only other thing in the hall was a servitor headed the opposite way he was, moving data-crates to some unspoken destination.

"I...am....alone? Who is calling me?" With all the Liber Council's accusations of heresy and taint still ringing in his ears, Agustus began to wonder if the council's accusations had new weight.

"I am a lurker, a wanderer in the shadows. I have been watching you, your struggles here. Would you like to meet more people like you? Men and women who despise both the order of the Imperial Creed and the wild whims of the Mad Gods. Would you like to see for yourself the true freedom that Liber is supposed to be about?"

Brother-scribe Agustus thought to himself for a moment, and almost rejected the offer. But the recent wounds to his pride began their stinging song in his heart, and on his flesh, where recent skull-flails and heavy spheres had left their marks.

"I....would like to meet your strange brethren"

Silently, a panel in one wall swiveled upon hidden hinges, and a marine in the red and black of the Legio extended a hand. His chapter pad was a black void, with five stars and a dragon's head, with a border of some light blue that glowed in a way the scribe had never seen before.

"You may call me Omega, brother, and I am of a chapter declared tratoris, though we keep the Emperor in our hearts and give allegiance to no other."

The name made Mergisto cringe, for he had seen the tattered remains of the Index article the Dragons had submitted. It's reception had gone much like his own.

"I know somewhat of you and your kind, Omega. You are thought a fool at best, and a dangerous heretic at worst."

"This is true, brother. I espouse believes considered extremely repugnant by my brethren, but I keep them regardless. I toy freely with the Imperial Creed and the declarations of the Machine God, and ignore or evade the Agents of the Inquisition. I have broken what many consider the word of the Emperor and made myself into a thinking machine. I have earned the spite of all five of the Gods of Chaos."

The scribe's head reeled from this information. The heresy was astonishing, but he did not feel the pull of Chaos as Omega told him about these horrible misdeeds. That did not stop him from laughing at that last bit.

"All five? But there are only four!"

Omega just chuckled. "Oh, brother-scribe, you are funny."

Agustus wondered where the humor in his statement was, when the Liber marine began to walk down the hidden corridor behind the panel. Agustus watched the panel swing shut, and the only light in the corridor was that coming from the marine's glowing shoulder pad trim. He decided to take his chances, and followed the marine down the dim tunnel. They passed by what seemed miles of conduit, coolant pipe, techno-cogitators, and other machinery needed to keep the Liber running, until they came to a small doorway, almost too small for the astartes to bend through. They came to a small room, and Omega motioned for Agustus to be still. Green beams of light suddenly sprang from one device on the ceiling, passing over their bodies. The scribe began to wonder what was happening, when the lights vanished and one of the walls, machinery and all, began to slide apart, and bright yellow light spilled into the darkness.

Brother Scribe Agustus was not prepared for the sight that greeted his eyes. There were dozens of marines here, marines in all kinds of armor, marines of all shapes and sizes. One marine was in armor that was a horrible mix of blue, purple, orange, red, and green, all the hues swirling together and moving across the panels of his power armor. The symbol of a mushroom, with swirly eyes and colors that swirled, marked his chapter pad. He was eating mushrooms from a bucket and popping them into his mouth, in between bursts of maniacal laughter. The next marine was a mystery to Agustus . Looking at the face, he could see the marine was not ugly as was the usual standard, but somehow attractive, and looked fabulous in his armor of purple, white and red, a brightly colored rose on the chapter pad. The scribe marveled at the sheer variety of the other marines as well. Omega led the scribe many, the explosion of variety dizzying to his mind, but only some were of the corrupting nature of Chaos. Others were just too fantastic for Agustus to take seriously.

Omega led him up a flight of stairs, into a tower in the middle of the extremely chaotic yet somehow quiet and orderly riot of color and difference. A marine with a strange three-pointed hat, rimmed with white lace and the feathers of some exotic bird, welcomed Omega with a clasp of the hands and a cheerful shout.

"Ah, Omega me mighty friend! I see you brought with ye another of those scurvy scribes with ye. Do you be recruiting for that silly crusade of yours still? Boy, you should give up and let those Libers alone! They will gully any of us in a heartbeat. I don't knows why you keep risking your fool neck like that, my boy."

"It's good to see you again, too, my old friend. How is Anastasia?"

"She'll be a might better after seeing her loverboy again, I reckon. Get in there!"

Brother Agustus was really put off by that last bit, and raised a questioning eyebrow at Omega.

All he got was a smile, as Omega opened the door and let himself in. Brother Agustus followed, building a really good guess as to what waited on the other side.

The room was spartan at best, looking like the quarters of one who was in military service, but often on the move. Traveling packs stood full and ready in one corner, and most of the items in the room were small, serving their purpose efficiently. A curtain was drawn around another corner of the room, and this was the direction that Omega moved. When he pulled back the curtain, Agustus saw a bed, larger than one a normal human would need. Next to this bed was piled a few pieces of blue and yellow power armor, fit for the person Agustus saw seated on the bed, reading a book. Agustus knew what to expect, he was no fool, and had pieced together what was coming from the brief conversation Omega had had with the strange astartes outside. But to actually see with his own eyes, it was something else entirely.

She was tall, a full two heads taller than Agustus, and build with muscle to spare. Her eyes were fierce, and she looked Agustus up and down, sizing up this new acquaintance. She was not overbearingly wide like male astartes, but she looked just as tough. Her brown hair came only down to her jaw, and it framed a face that was probably much like it had been before her gene-seed implantation, rounder and pleasant to look at. The black carapace had tinted her skin a darker shade, now more of a grey-brown than the tan it had been. After a few moments, Agustus felt her mind brish up against his, and felt the worry and apprehension that swirled around a core of faith, devotion, and pain. The worry and apprehension surprised Agustus, and as the woman curled an arm around her middle, Agustus saw the moderate bulge that indicated something completely unexpected. She was with child.

Agustus struggled to find the words, and none came. He had seen reports in the archives about this. Female space marines. Many a Liber meeting had degenerated into frothing madness and rage filled headsplosions at the mere mention of....this. And she was pregnant. Agustus's mind whirled at the implications. He turned to Omega, stuttering and shaking. Omega just nodded. Agustus walked to a chair against the far wall and sat down. Several false starts and mumbling, he finally squeezed out a coherent word.

"What?" He glanced around, in vain looking for support from Omega.

"I'm sorry for not warning you, but most do not believe, so I have stopped telling people, and just show them instead."

"Why?"

"Because this is the way it was during the time of the Emperor. The two legions missing from the Liber records? They were the daughters of the emperor, and their legions."

Agustus's eyes bulged out. "WHAT? That's not possible! The most authentic records, the most true canon say that that is not possible!"

Omega waited a moment, and then said "It is all a setup. You know the Liber council makes truth fit it's vision of the universe. Look outside again. All of those marines? They do not fit the Liber Council's idea of a whole and correct Astartes. Yes, some of them are poor examples of Astartes. Some are downright Emperor-cursed offspring of a deranged and lunatic mind. But they exist, just as much as their precious 'canonical' marines do."

Agustus's chewed on those words for mere moments, and then spoke so quietly that Omega barely heard him.

"No."

"What is it, Brother-scribe?"

"No no no NO NO NO NO!!! This is what the Liber council told me about! The lies and twisting of truth by renegades. That what you all are! RENEGADES! Lost to the Emperor's truth! So lost even the gods of the warp will not touch you! I am going straight to the council and telling them where you all are! I am going to help them end the heresy! I will-"

His tirade was cut short by a buzzing and sparking sound, and the trembles that coursed through his body ended as abruptly as they had begun. He collapsed to the floor in a heap, and his body wouldn't respond anymore. A marine, clad in camouflage-painted armor and a camo-cloak stepped over his body.

"I'm sorry, Omega, but he was getting uppity."

"It's no problem, Captain Volstus. The Liber council is getting better and better at indoctrinating their new recruits. We must be more cautious in the future."

Just then, alarm klaxons began ringing out.

Omega swore under his breath.

"That thrice-cursed, sons of warhams Liber council. They get better every day. Batma- I mean Octavulg is getting too close to figuring us out. And if he is here, then the others must be close, too. We are too far out for Bat-, I mean Octa to come alone. Captain Volstus! Captian Pete! We must flee! NOW!"

The three male astartes and one female astarta quickly grabbed everything not nailed down in the room, and had it in bags in mere moments. Captain Volstus, the camouflaged one, pressed a secret button, and one wall depressed, revealing a land speeder. The marines hopped on, Pete taking the wheel. Omega spared one last look at Brother-Scribe Agustus, still paralyzed on the floor.

"I'm sorry we couldn't come to an agreement. Maybe you will reconsider after some more time under the brutal thumb of the Liber Council."

:Omega, stop lecturing. I do not want to meet the fate of my sisters!"

Agustus got one last sneer at the renegades, and the land speeder charged out of it's hidden garage and into the swirling mass of war that had been the camp of the renegades. Marines in the organized ranks and colors of the Liber marched out of tunnels and were swarming around the disorganized and randomly colored renegades. The disciplined fire and assaults from the Liberites almost met their match in the wildly unpredictable combat doctrines of the renegade chapters. Mushrooms were shoved into faces, flamers turned on whole squads, roses were shot from rosecannons, banhammers smashed whole marines into non-existence, spine flails were beating attractively androgynous marines into bloody pulps, power claws tore the brain meats from veggie marines, and it was all complete and utter madness. As the land speeder made it's rapid getaway, the Liberites swarmed over the renegades, overpowering them.

Later, when the dust and psychotopic haze from the shrooms had worn off, a tally was made, so the council would know whom they had obliterated today. A junior officer made a report to the highest ranked marines.

"Sirs, approxamately 200 renegade marines were either captured or destroyed today. Several escaped through various prepared routes, and several marines report seeing a land speeder make it's way out of the command hub over there. We estimate a 95% capture or elimination rate."

"Was the one they call Omega among them?" asked a marine in dark green armor that stood out from the other Libers.

"Several of them claim to be this Omega, but we are reasonably sure that the real Omega is not among them."

"Reasonably sure? REASONABLY SURE?" The green-armored marine smashed the officer's face in with a bowling ball. "You better make absolutely damned sure of it!" He gestured at the remaining officers. "Go! Gather all the extractors the Inquisition has to offer! I want to know for sure!"

The other junior officers scurried off, not wanting to risk a bowling ball in a place the Emperor never meant for bowling balls to go. The remaining senior officers muttered amongst themselves.

"I need to go have the servitors clean my spine flail."

"Look everyone! I finally got a spleen!"

"I can't believe how many of these there are. Some have got to be alts."

The seniors were thanked for their hard work and sacrifice by a moderati, and summarily dismissed.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Whew! I hope that that adds something of an irreverent flavor to this. I know it can feel like this on the Liber boards sometimes.

If I offended anyone, or seriously violated the rules, I will hastily withdraw/edit/go die in a fire. But I hope everyone can see at least some of the funny and some of the serious in this. I wish I was as good a writer as some of the others, but this is the best I could do in an hour and a half. I will make edits, so if any of the Liber council feels slighted by this, or a anyone wants to get in on the renegade-beating action, I can sub you in for the lulz.

Meaningless bonus internet points if you can name the marine chapters I inserted into the renegades in this post. :lol:

And, as always, C&C is appreciated!

And, as always, C&C is appreciated!

Ah, good. Then I'm going to get right to the heart of the matter:

This looks like a lot of fun, but I know of one sect of the Liber that has gone under- or un-represented: THE LURKERS.

...Who then proceed to not turn up at all within the above story. ;)

Which, I suppose, is actually a fitting tribute. ;)

EDIT:

I should add that I don't actually have a problem with the story itself - I'm not just being nasty for the sake of being nasty!

...Who then proceed to not turn up at all within the above story. :D

Which, I suppose, is actually a fitting tribute. :confused:

You hit the nail on the head, Ace. :blink:

Actually, there was one lurker: me (or my avatar on B&C)

We are a separate lot, each going our own way. I can really only tell my own lurker story. I am just as in the dark as the rest of you about all the other lurkers. They do what they want, and I do what I want. It's an absolutely free system, so I can't speak for them.

I'm most surprised that nobody is trying to guess the crazy chapters, but in hindsight, the Liber Council doesn't really want to admit their existence. :blush:

Thanks for the comments, and Hoorah for the Liber!

Purge.

The.

Heretics.

I would gladly walk side by side with Octabatmanvulg during the purging of such renegades!

I kid :lol: It is a fun little addition, but it didn't seem so much about the Lurker as it was about the outcasts and pariahs. In that regard it was great fun, but I didn't really see the Lurker aspect. Besides, no lurker discussion is whole without mentioning the Admin, Kurgan the Lurker.

Ok, C&C over, I promise ;) That was great read, no doubt about it. Well done sir!

It's not finished yet, but I wanted to post this whilst I get the next bit of it done. I won't preamble as once you read a bit it will be more obvious what it's about :P

Whilst he had been seconded to the Legio’s Liber Astartes department for some time, the Adept T’shn B’rkto had often wondered about a door way just off one of the many corridors within their Citadel. It was odd to describe and uncomfortable to look at for too long, and could only be seen if you're not looking directly at it. It was embossed in strange sigils and symbols that seemed to warp and change, making the eye water and the head ache. Despite his continued questioning, no Battle Brother would tell him, stating simply, “It was far easier for him if he didn’t know”. Deciding one day that he must find out what was on the other side, he made all haste to the door in question.

It wasn’t easy to find. Whilst he had an idea where it was, he couldn’t focus on finding exactly where it was. After an hour, T’shn was too tired to continue and was about to head off back to his quarters, when a hand touched his shoulder. Startled, he turned to see Ace Debonair and Shinzaren, a look of benign amusement on their faces.

“I see you still haven’t taken our words seriously?” Ace asked.

“We have warned you, as have others about what that door keeps hidden” stated Shinzaren “It isn’t something that should be seen by mortal eyes.”

“Why, what is so terrible that would need to be hidden?” Asked B’rkto “Have I not faced the Liber Council? Have I not seen Ace’s Liber Heraldry Department and survived with my eyes and sanity intact?”

Ace’s face turned ashen briefly, slighted by what he heard, but it was fleeting. Jovially, he continued.

“It isn’t something terrible as such.....”

“It bloody is”, interrupted Shinzaren “You’ve seen his original submission to the Liber – Space Wolf and Blood Angel Geneseed for a Successor Chapter? He can’t just stay on track with just one Chapter, he’s got three on the go, and he’s now trying to bring Fluff to one of the most ridiculous Space Marine Chapters in the Imperium. The Marine’s tapped in the head if you ask me...”

“I didn’t. And he’s not the only one who uses that room, there are others who are just as....fervent in their beliefs. Who....aren’t like us”

“What do you mean, not like us?”

“Chaos Worshippers....”

B’rkto gasped in amazement. “Chaos worshippers?! Here?! You actually allow Chaos worshipper here?!” He couldn’t breathe, the revelation made his throat tighten.

"Tolerate. We tolerate them." Ace replied. He scratched his head for a moment, deep in thought. "Think about it - if we didn't, we'd get reports about warbands thousands of traitors large consisting entirely of people called Brother Berk who secretly work for the Emperor, who each have three heads and can shoot time-travelling lasers from their mouths, and have nobody to accurately and soundly rebuff such atrocities. After all, scribe, there's Chaos, and then there's utter lunacy. The dividing line is narrow, but it's there, and enforced by those within this doorway."

“As long as the next man isn’t you know who” Shinzaren rolled his eyes “The Marine should just stick to one Chapter at a time. It’s a wonder he hasn’t had a bowling ball to the face yet.”

“Bowling....ball?”

“An arcane weapon used to strike the opponent, when they just won’t see reason” Ace answered in hushed tones, looking around for eavesdroppers.

“We can’t dissuade you from trying to find this room can we?”

T’shn shook his head.

Sighing, Ace looked squarely in the Adepts’ eyes. “Be sure you want to go through with this. Whilst many in that room seem to be Marines whom serve the Emperor, they are not, although one of them can’t make his mind up. Be here in one hour. We will show you, what you seek.”

“But you will be bound by the most sacred Oaths possible. Lest your tongue tell of what’s beyond to others....” warned Shinzaren.

T’shn gulped. He had heard of such Oaths and was totally certain he didn’t want to end up as the business end of a Flail favoured by the Chapter Master of the Falcon Knights, or worse yet, actually find out what a “Bowling ball” was....and to meet the owner of such a weapon.

It took some time to find the door. Whilst the Adept and the Marines had seen it on many occasions out of the corner of the eye in times past, looking directly at it was very uncomfortable. It made you want to turn away, to something, anything else.

“Remember, this room is not like others you have seen. The occupants truck with powers that are not to trifled with. And what you see in there not to be trusted” Ace looked at the Adept with concern. He had noticed that the little man was shaking slightly. He wasn’t sure if it was anticipation or fear. Either way, he needed to be told.

“I am ready.”

"Doubtful" Shinzaren muttered, stepping forward, and traced a shape on the door. The shape was barely perceptible, but following the Marines finger it resembled two letters. I and then T. T’shn was slightly disappointed by this, but steeled himself for what was inside.

The three entered the room, unaware that in the dark, a shadowy figure with red eyes was watching....

I'll post more once I've written it! :D

Oooo! How mysterious! I'm excited about this one. I can't wait to see what lies within. You know DAT and Ecritter need to be in on this too! Excellent start though Aquilanus! Fantastic.

Thanks!

I have a few people in mind for what follows, and I have included vague references to a couple already. I wonder if anyone can work out who they are? :Troops:

Stories are coming from everywhere now . This is a writing forum, though, I suppose it's not that surprising.... :cuss

Good to see some traitorous love, Aquilanus, I look forward to this story in particular... :)

I thought it about time the flip side of the coin got a chance to shine :tu:

Great work form both of you Omega Striker and Aquilanus! Slowly but surely it seems every section within the LIBER is getting their story told. :cuss Maybe we should allocate a sub section to store the stories in as each one is a brilliant story for all to read and get a feel for what the Liber's all about.

Cambrius

“Chaos Worshippers....”

B’rkto gasped in amazement. “Chaos worshippers?! Here?! You actually allow Chaos worshipper here?!” He couldn’t breathe, the revelation made his throat tighten.

“Tolerate. We tolerate them.” Ace replied “Think about it for a moment. If we didn’t, we would have no idea what kind of ideas would roam free. Whilst some of the Chapters submitted to us are....unusual, the ones submitted by those fellows need just as much guidance as the next man.”

If I could make one change to the story, it'd be this. To something like, say;

"Tolerate. We tolerate them." Ace replied. He scratched his head for a moment, deep in thought. "Think about it - if we didn't, we'd get reports about warbands thousands of traitors large consisting entirely of people called Brother Berk who secretly work for the Emperor, who each have three heads and can shoot time-travelling lasers from their mouths, and have nobody to accurately and soundly rebuff such atrocities. After all, scribe, there's Chaos, and then there's utter lunacy. The dividing line is narrow, but it's there, and enforced by those within this doorway."

"Very narrow, that dividing line. Especially in the case of you-know-who." Shinzaren rolled his eyes. "He should just stick to one chapter at a time..."

EDIT:

The next time I feature in a story, I want to kill a typo. With my bare hands, for preference.

EDIT EDIT:

I hate typos so very, very much.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

And I somehow STILL forgot to add that I like that story a lot. ^_^

Strange, because that's why I posted in the first place. :sweat:

...Guess I've taken too many head wounds recently.

“Chaos Worshippers....”

“Tolerate. We tolerate them.” Ace replied “Think about it for a moment. If we didn’t, we would have no idea what kind of ideas would roam free. Whilst some of the Chapters submitted to us are....unusual, the ones submitted by those fellows need just as much guidance as the next man.”

If I could make one change to the story, it'd be this. To something like, say;

"Very narrow, that dividing line. Especially in the case of you-know-who." Shinzaren rolled his eyes. "He should just stick to one chapter at a time..."

I'll edit it after I've posted this ^_^

EDIT:

The next time I feature in a story, I want to kill a typo. With my bare hands, for preference.

EDIT EDIT:

I hate typos so very, very much.

I hadn't forgotten, but I wanted to put something in about that when it naturally comes up (as it were) ;)

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

And I somehow STILL forgot to add that I like that story a lot. ^_^

Strange, because that's why I posted in the first place. :sweat:

...Guess I've taken too many head wounds recently.

Thanks! I know what you mean about taking too many head shots. I'm surprised I can see straight sometimes, much less think straight! ^_^

About time we heard from the other side of that door! Well done Aquilanus.

I've done a couple of pages so far on my story, just gotta figure out where it's heading and trim it down a bit and I'll post it.

This is the Second part :lol:

I've kinda left it open, just in case I get a flash of inspiration to add more :P

T’shn opened his eyes. He hadn’t even realised he’d closed them. The room was darkened, and it took a while to get used to the gloom. Looking around, he could see that the room was quite large, with partitions in random places, almost like that of an office in the headquarters he had spent most of his life previous to his sojourn here. In the distance, sparks erupted from one such cubicle, along with curses in a multitude of tongues.

Ace and Shinzaren turned to face the adept, both trying not to show their discomfort at being there.

“We shouldn’t stay too long,” Ace told him, “It upsets them if they are disturbed. Despite being Worshipers of Change and Anarchy, they do like things to be left in a state of Status Quo.”

Shinzaren snorted with derision “Bloody terrible taste in music if you ask me, if you could ever call it such...”

Ace rolled his eyes whilst T’shn’s question died unanswered on his lips.

Immediately in front of the trio there was a holographic display, which cast a sickly shade of green. On it, was a list. On closer examination it detailed the names of various Chapters and.....Warbands? T’shn’s skin crawled, but he couldn’t resist reading further.

“Adept, you are here to put an end to your curiosity, not to feed it” Shinzaren warned.

Ace, however had been studying the display intently.

Ace rolled his eyes whilst T’shn’s question died unanswered on his lips.

As they walked, Ace and Shinzaren exchanged meaningless banter, good-natured ribbing passing between them. The corridors stretched on, and T'shn became ever more aware of faint screaming and maniacal laughter echoing down the halls. The sounds had him lost in thought for a moment, until he bumped into the armored backs of Ace and Shinzaren, who had both stopped dead in tracks, hands on the hilts of their Chainaxes and grips of their pistols. Suddenly they both whipped their head down one of the empty corridors, before diving apart in a flash. Ace knocked back T'shn, who barely caught a glympse of a great misshapen form, what might have once been a man or machine or some combination of both, now a twisted mess, with pieces all out of place and order. As Ace and Shinzaren both scrambled to their feet, they looked at each and simultaneously shouted,

"Typo!"

"Ace, I'll draw him out, you circle behind!" Shinzaren's plan was met by a curt nod from Ace, who had gripped his chainaxe in both hands, holding it in front of him in a defensive stance. Shinzaren warily stepped back into the hallway and loosed a couple rounds from his bolt pistol, his accuracy being rewarded with a squeal of pain and a roar of anger. Backing away as he fired, Shinzaren eventually found himself at the dead end of a corridor, his back against the wall. With a wail, the Typo, as the marines had called it, hurtled itself Shinzaren, batting aside his pistol and axe with a sweep of his armoured arm. He bodily flung the marine against the wall with a crunch, before raising his massive lnog sowrd for the kill. Just as he was about to bring it down, Ace gave a great shout from the back of the hallway, and a chainaxe came flying through the air, impaling into the back of the beast and smashing him into the wall. Shinzaren rose with a shake to clear his head and dove at the behemoth, pinning it down as Ace ran up and began pumping rounds from his pistol into the torso of their opponent. As the beast shook with anger, it tossed Shin away again, just as Ace pounced on it. As he began to throttle the beast by its thraot, he reached to his belt and pulled out a rectangular piece of equipment, with the basic runes of High Gothic emblazoned all along it. Bashing the beast upside the head, Ace grinned in satisfaction as pieces of the board flew off, scattering about in a mad collection of runes and odd letters.

Dazed by the blow and Ace's continued choking, the beast was easy prey for a revived Shinzaren, who tackled it to the ground and pinned it while Ace continued to squeeze and squeeze. As the beast gave one last gurgle, Ace twisted his mighty arms, snapping its misshapen ncek with a shout. As the beast lay dead, Ace and Shinzaren helped each other up and resumed their banter as if nothing had happened. They each retrieved their weapons and, with casual ease while continuing their conversation, proceeded to each empty a clip of bolter shells into the lifeless husk. Apparently satisfied, they reloaded and holstered their weapons, before helping up a dazed and very confused T'shn.

"Wha...what was that?" He asked shakily, visibly upset at what he had seen. Shinzaren and Ace just looked at each and grinned, answering in unison.

"Typo." As they continued walking, Ace took off his beautiful feathered and anointed hat and knocked some of the debris and dust from the fight off, before placing it back on his head with a lopsided grin.

"Come on," Shinzaren said, glaring at Ace, who was looking back at the corpse and making a gesture of a thumb across his throat. "We'll show you a few of the denizens who work here."

Ace had by then walked further back into the room, and was talking to a Marine in Armour bi-sected in two colours, Blue and Green. A Black sword adorned his left shoulder plate, on the right, a white cross similar to that of those honoured to wear Terminator armour. They were accompanied by a Marine wearing Blue armour edged in gold, another in gold armour.

“Dark Apostle Thirst”, Shinzaren told T’shn pointing at the first. “He holds some authority here, although some of the others here tend to heed no one. Without Marines such as him, there would be even more trouble than normal...The others, Ecitter and Apothete.”

The adept walked hesitantly towards the Marine, who was now regarding him curiously.

“Welcome adept. We get few visitors here. I take it you have....questions.”

“I....I do, although I have no idea what to ask.”

Thirst gave him an amused smile.

“Let us give you the tour” Thirst continued “You may then have something to ask.”

Turning on the spot, Thirst led the group further into the room.

It seemed impossible but the further they walked, the further the rooms’ opposite wall seemed. Seeing the confusion upon their faces, Thirst explained “This room is mutable. There are times where we need a lot of room to accommodate some of the more....unrealistic ideas that a few of our members have. Chaos flows in this room. And just as well, as the ideas of one member here justify having one of his own!”

“How is he today?” asked Ace, “Still trying to finish them all?”

Thirst paused, “I think he’s actually concentrating on the one today. All I’ve heard from his cubicle is cackling. I think he may actually be quite calm today.”

Shinzaren had taken up the rear of the party, bolter drawn. T’shn hadn’t seen him carry one into the room, but was glad of it.

“You won’t need one of those here, Loyalist” Thirst vowed “As I said before, he seems to be quite....”

“For now. I won’t take anything you say for granted.”

Thirst bowed slightly, “As you wish.”

Ecritter and Apothete looked at each other, warily acceding to Thirst’s judgement.

“If you would all follow me” Ecritter said “You can see what this place is really about.

By now, the adept had come to regret his persistence in trying to gain access to this room. In the distance, there were screams, yelling and horrible silhouettes on the long passageway.

“Don’t mind those” Apothete told him “Some of our brothers are fervent believers in acting out their ideas. Of course it does tend to thin our numbers somewhat, but that which does not kill you.....”

T’shn gulped, his throat feeling constricted again. He didn’t want this. He had pushed too far, wandered into things that should not concern him. Glancing at Ace and Shinzaren, he pondered on whether they were doing this to punish him. Or did their own curiosity needed to be satiated? They both seemed nonplussed by their surroundings. Perhaps it’s their Astartes upbringing, to never be caught unawares, or to adapt quickly to their environment.

Finally after seemingly walking for hours, they did arrive at a cubicle far separated from the others. Upon approaching it, it seemed exactly like the others. But closer up, it had....differences. One wall had a poster of something he’d never seen before and even years after had nightmares about. On another, there was a scrawled message in red stating “You don’t have to be mad to work here, but it helps!” in a messy handwriting. He decided not to examine what “ink” was used, he had a terrible idea about it and didn’t want it confirmed.

Inside something stirred. The figure stiffened as it realised that someone was there.

“We didn’t think it was that time of the week already!” called out the figure.

“No, your weekly psych eval, isn’t until Friday. It’s Tuesday today” Ecritter replied.

“Hmmph. Why then do you disturb me?”

“We have a visitor. He would like to see your work. Aquilanus?”

“Yes, yes we heard you,” Aquilanus grumbled “We’re not so far gone as to be treated like an idiot you know!”

“We?” asked Thirst sighing in exasperation “You haven’t split yourself up again have you?”

“What of it?” snarled Aquilanus “Do you think we’re going to make any head way with all of this work by ourselves?! Four heads are better than one you know!”

“We talked about this the last time you did this,” Thirst replied patiently “Last time you all had an argument and tried to throttle yourselves!”

“Yes, well the Loyalist parts of me are smart arses” retorted Aquilanus “We soon showed them!”

“S-s-split yourself?” the adept squeeked “How is this possible? Why would you do such a thing?”

“Told you. Too much to do, and not enough time to get it done!” Aquilanus snorted. The figure in the gloom had shifted so its attention was firmly of T’shn.

The adept imagined, that in the darkened cubicle there were four sets of eyes looking at him, each were a different colour.

“So, adept how do you think we did it?”

“I-I’m not sure. I’m not sure I want to know!” The adept had now started to panic. He wasn’t expecting this. The sets of eyes rose and moved towards the relative brightness outside of the cubicle.

“Ah, that’s better. Eye sight isn’t as it once was” said the first figure. The Marine was wearing Grey armour with a pair of black wings on a shoulder plate.

“Forgive my manners, but I’m on a deadline and I get cranky if I fall behind. I've still got a story or two to finish for the Librarium as well, you know!”

“There is no deadline Aquilanus” said Thirst soothingly “You know that.” Out of sight of Aquilanus Ecritter rolled his eyes and did made a circular movement with his index finger against his head. Perhaps it was a sign of warding against Chaos the adept decided.

“Perhaps not, but I’ll be buggered if I let that stop me!” Aquilanus mused. Suddenly irritable, he turned around and whispered something to another behind him “okay, okay! You talk to him then!”

The other figures behind him stepped forward. There were Aquilanus too, but their armour was different. One was Orange with white trim, another was a dirty purple with black trim. The last was pristine, new and quite indistinct, as if reality couldn’t quite focus on it correctly. His armour was blue with stripes of many colours on the shoulder plate.

“Don’t mind me”, that one stated, I’m quite new, and don’t have a proper structure yet, you could say I’m a work in progress of a work in progress”

All four sniggered at their own joke. It wasn’t funny at all and the visitors looked at their feet for the moment to pass. It did so. Slowly.

“Anyway, Aquilanus how’s about you get back to work, eh? But I only want to see one of you when I get back” Thirst said firmly. “You’re over taxing the suspension of belief field again. I don’t want to have to ask Tzeentch for another upgrade”

“You really do truck with forbidden Magicks!” blurted out the adept “I-I can not believe this!”

“See, Aquilanus? You’ve broken it again!” Thirst sighed, as he got out a communication device. It was lucky he had Tzeentch on the “Friends and family” tarrif, as it was getting too expensive.

:P

Archived