This is the Liber Astartes, PART II

Shinzaren

We've had Heraldry and Chaos departments so far. Mods and Librarians have featured a bit, we've even had a story from a lurker! Suppose we've missed Technical things but other than that I can't think what else to cover lol.

What about something that has been the topic lately of the up-coming 6th edition. What if it was the Greater Chaos god of Typo's plan to make the new book come out with tons of spelling, and grammar errors. And its the IA kill-team's task to intercept this before the Typo's Daemonic invasion to the holy world of GW.

I pledge my double barreled Infernus pistol, and Lightning Claw to the cause!

We've had Heraldry and Chaos departments so far. Mods and Librarians have featured a bit, we've even had a story from a lurker! Suppose we've missed Technical things but other than that I can't think what else to cover lol.

What about something that has been the topic lately of the up-coming 6th edition. What if it was the Greater Chaos god of Typo's plan to make the new book come out with tons of spelling, and grammar errors. And its the IA kill-team's task to intercept this before the Typo's Daemonic invasion to the holy world of GW.

I pledge my double barreled Infernus pistol, and Lightning Claw to the cause!

Most interesting ...

With the rumors of a possible gunship to the Astartes why not make one up in the IA world.. just in case it comes true. Like a Kestrel Gunship*, a 2 pilot, and 6 man transport gunship for war theatres that need the run of a drop ship, but has the air superiority like a steath fighter with troop carring ability like a black hawk helicopter. Kinda think of it as a flying razorback...

This will be the intecepter needed to bring the vengence to those damned Typos!!

* the Kestrel Gunship is not yet in existance if so the new flyer come out, and is something completly different. Then I hold this as a new STC design for the Blood Dragons Chapter. lol

Edited: for added flair :)

We obviously need a massive spread on the Purifiers. I don't think it's been quite rubbed in enough that every chapter must be named Purifiers if at all possible.

We obviously need a massive spread on the Purifiers. I don't think it's been quite rubbed in enough that every chapter must be named Purifiers if at all possible.

Join the Purifiers they give out free cookies, and Heavy Flamers :)

I'm not inclined to this idea, but the idea of a pro and anti purifier groups, I do like :lol:

You don't agree that every chapter must be named Purifiers?! BURN HIM!!!

On a more serious note, I quite like that idea. And it's always fun to bring up Nemesis in a mythical roundabout way similar to the lost legions.

Perhaps I can work a little something in regarding the Purifiers. ;)

I make no promises vis-avis Nemesis.

I'm actually thinking I might focus on C&C-ing stuff for the Liber side of the story. I know it's been done, but it's the core, soul, centre and heart of this forum, and as such deserves more focus. :P

Apologies for the delay, anyhow.

Real Life intruding on my plans again. -_-

EDIT:

Oh, and I am not going to include anything about 6th edition rumours. That's a job for someone who actually plays rather than just builds and paints the models. :)

Also gameplay mechanics don't mean a damn thing to Chapter Backstory, or at least shouldn't.

Also gameplay mechanics don't mean a damn thing to Chapter Backstory, or at least shouldn't

So true. No pressure to write this Ace, real life comes first! If you need a hand I'll try.

You don't agree that every chapter must be named Purifiers?! BURN HIM!!!

On a more serious note, I quite like that idea. And it's always fun to bring up Nemesis in a mythical roundabout way similar to the lost legions.

I'm so tempted to start a successor of the Puifiers chapter called the Humidifiers. Bringing the cleansing to all of the Imperiums respitory tracts!

OK.

I've only planned out the first half of the story.

This is what I've got up to now - in the fashion of Tales from the Fang, I'm only posting the story a bit at a time.

Mostly, admittedly, because I haven't finished it yet. B)

-=-=-=-=Of Ale and Spelling Errors - A Saga of the Sons of Leman Russ and the Liber Astartes=-=-=-=-

Of all the Chapters of the Emperor's Space Marines, the Space Wolves are certainly amongst the most renowned and venerated. To the denizens of the Legio Bolter and Chainsword's Liber Astartes, they are also amongst the most mysterious - every known attempt by the Wolves to sire a successor Chapter having ended in infamy or turning out to merely be speculation.

However, that's not to say they never make contact. Thanks to an ancient document, drafted, some say, at the birth of the Liber Astartes, there is a program in place that largely consists of an exchange of information - The Space Wolves reporting in bring tales of any Chapters they've encountered since their last visit, so the Liber can make any required changes to thier records. In return, the Space wolves are gifted with a set of data-slates containing, at the time of writing, the definitive who's who of the known Chapters and Warbands that inhabit the galaxy.

Whilst the Wolves incline more towards the Saga than the dry and formal notes favoured in Liber, the slates are generally handed to their elders to be memorized. What happens to the data-slates afterwards is a question few serfs are brave enough to ask, although rumour has it that the Space Wolves tape all their bar-fights so they can watch them again if the mood takes them.

However, for the Wolves assigned to this mission, there is one compensation for sitting in the dusty, dry halls of the Liber.

Right next-door, mere metres down the corridor from the Liber's gates, lie the quarters for the Space Wolves visiting the Legio.

With the Sons of Russ being who they are, it largely resembles the Fang's own legendary tavern in miniature, and whilst the ale isn't quite as good, the Sons of Russ are experts at making do with what they've got; especially if it's alcoholic.

Presently the tavern is occupied by a pack of visiting Wolves. A passer-by, if he was possessed of Astartes-grade hearing, could hear the hearty crackle of the fire, the banter of the drunk, and the gentle sound of one barman wondering where they put it all. And, of course, the tell-tale sound of a saga being told.

"-aid to him, I said... Put one foot on the ground, and push!"

There was an explosion of laughter from around the storyteller. Firenze (for it was he) sat back with a contented grin and helped himself to some ale.

"Russ's Beard, that story gets me every time." Warhorse chortled as he quaffed another tankard. "Firenze, did you hear the one about the Long Fang, the Inquisitor and the thirty Sisters of Battle?"

There was a groan from the Blood Claws surrounding the table. Arez, also called Greenhorn, thumped his tankard on the table. "You always tell that one, old one. And you never finsihed telling us about that time you tried to build a Landraider from scratch."

Firenze, who could remember the bittersweet ending from Warhorse's drunken saga of mechanics and not-quite-perfect grasp of why spare parts for a rhino does not a Land Raider make, chose this moment to intervene.

"Actually, pup, you slept through the second part. Let's not dwell on that, however. Did I tell you about that time Kethfar, also called Bladewind, charged at an oncoming Predator tank and won?"

"Let's not bring the mood down, now. Hasn't anyone got any other funny stories to share?" Decoy asked, bluntly. Firenze, however, took it in his stride. If his brothers were still in the mood to laugh, he had just the saga for them.

"Oh, did I tell you the one about the Ultramarine, the Salamander and the Dirty Soulless Spawn of Magnus the Sorcerer?" Firenze added, leaning forward in his seat eagerly. His fellow drinkers shifted in their seats. Whatever it turned out to be, they could tell by Firenze's excited tone it was going to be good.

"You've not head this one? OK then. Right, so this Ultramarine walks into a bar, right, and-"

"OK Lads, I need some volunteers to run next-door and pick up some data-slates." Wolf Lord Ragnarok's voice boomed over the storytelling. "Sorry about the story, Firenze, but it'll have to wait for the return journey. We've got a mission to complete, after all."

There was, from the Wolves a sudden rush of frantic sitting perfectly still - nobody wanted to leave the tavern to go looking for boring old data-slates. Ragnarok sighed.

"Fine. Jonas, Forte, Arez. Go get the damn slates, will you? We'll put a tankard on the side for each of you for when you get back."

Grumbling, the three Wolves in question got up from their seats, downed their ales, and left the tavern. Behind them, the sound of more drinks being poured could just about be heard through the thick, ornate metal doorway. Ignoring the sound and smell of almost-top-grade ale with an effort, Jonas sighed and turned towards the Liber's gates.

"Come on, then. Let's get this over with, lads." Jonas strode boldly away. Forte and Arez exchanged looks, then slunk after him, knowing just how boring the Liber's reliance on formality could be.

-=-=The Liber=-=-

KingHongKong looked at the data-slate in front of him, narrowing his eyes as he scanned the document therein.

"It's a novel concept, I'll give you that."

The scribe stood at the data-port across from him wrung his hands nervously as KHK continued;

"But how, exactly, is the Fortress Monastery built on the inside of the planet?"

"If it pleases your honour," The scribe said, looking frantic, "The planet was hollowed out thousands of years previously by an ancient xeno technology."

"Oh Emperor, no." Shinzaren, sat on the other side of the scribe, pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes, the act of a man trying to get to grips with a bizarre, unexpected twist. "Why didn't you mention this earlier in the article?"

The scribe just looked blank. He had heard stories of the Space Marines, of course, how they were giants, strong and brave. He'd just never heard that they were so bloody fussy.

"Should I have, your honour?"

"Oh yeah. And it might be worth mentioning what's become of this technology - how does the planet stay intact without it? Or is it still there? Because if it is, the AdMech is going to be all over that place like Ultramarines at a victory parade."

"And if there's not any technology there," added Nightrawen, the terrifying apparition in the corner, shrouded in black, hooded robes, "And the world is hollow, how does the Fortress Monastery stay attached to the floor, instead of falling towards the planet's centre?"

The scribe squirmed uncomfortably. KingHongKong took a certain amount of pity on the poor beleagured mortal before him.

"So, scribe. What exactly did you say this Chapter was called?"

"Um, I haven't confirmed the name yet, your hon-"

"PURIFIERS!" Boomed a voice from outside. The door to the room thudded back, and Chapter Master Ignis Domus, bearer of the Purination Banner that heralded the arrival of the Purination Crusade, beamed at the assembled company.

"Oh, Emperor, no." Shinzaren buried his face in his hands again.

"It's the only possible fitting name!" Chapter Master Ignis Domus declared. "Let me see that." He pulled the data slate from the scribe and scanned down it quickly. "See? They hate disease, their apothecaries are comitted to the creation of medicines, purifying the human race of all ills. They also have white shoulderpads, a sure sign of inner purity reflecting outwards. NAME THEM PURIFIERS!"

"And you could give them an enemy called the Pl-"

"Plentiful enemies of Mankind." KingHongKong interrupted, knowing that Shinzaren was about to say something that would get him Mod-Hammered into nonexistence.

"Odd name for a warband." CMID remarked. "Let's stick with Nemesis."

"Or better yet, let's just not talk about them in any great detail." Shinzaren added.

Suddenly, a strange, distorted figure, slightly taller and broader than an average human and composed entirely of purple and black sludge of some kind leapt into the room. Immediately the marines drew their weapons and charged, but the abomination leapt aside. Brother Cambrius followed it in, carrying a hefty-looking mace and a bolt pistol.

"Has anyone seen a- oh."

The creature, perhaps sensing impending doom, turned and leapt through the ornate, stained-glass window, plunging with a distorted scream down all seventy feet of the tower, thudding into the courtyard below with a noise like a side of meat being thrown at a wall. Cambrius stuck his head out of the window. He stared at the still, lifeless body of the creature on the floor below.

"Always look before you leap, is the moral of the story." KHK remarked, rolling his eyes.

"I'm going to go down there and burn it, just to be on the safe side." Cambrius said, making his way to the far door. Anyone want to tag along?"

"I'd better tag along," CMID said, sticking his plasma pistol back on his belt. "Besides, my work here is done."

The two marines made their way swiftly through the Liber, passing by the doorway to the Heraldry Department, wherein the sound of someone being spine-flailed for over-using Hawk Turquoise could be heard. They passed by the Heraldry department, stepping aside for a bunch of cultists wheeling more of the dead creatures in to be fed to the resident Daemons.

"So... I didn't realise we were so high up." Cambrius said. It seemed a foolish observation, but he was certain that not long ago the Liber hadn't been quite so tall.

"We've got a department dedicated to the denizens of the Warp, and you're worried about a little something like that?" CMID grinned. "We've been building some new towers, to move all the important data-slates up to the higher levels. Easier to keep the typos away, down on the lower levels."

"Oh. That's a remarkably mundane explanation."

"Well, we also had the Heresy Dept. extend the distance so from the outside it's much, much taller, so even the rare flying typos can't easily break in."

Cambrius thought about this for a moment, then stopped because his brain was rebelling against the idea of a tower that was taller on the outside.

The duo exited into the courtyards via a side door, and immediately drew their weapons, flattening themselves against the walls, and moving from cover to cover.

When the founders of the Liber Astartes, long ago, built their section of the great building that housed the Legio, they had designed it in the way of Space Marines everywhere. More to the point, every part of the building was clearly designed with combat in mind. There were nooks and crannies big enough to accomdate Astartes, and with care even the more decorative arches and pillars could be used to conceal a Space Marine from incoming fire.

So it was that when Cambrius and Ignis arrived at the spot where the creature should have been lying, they did so by combat rolling from behind a cunningly placed low wall, both landing in a crouch with their weapons raised for combat.

What they found in place of the creature was a few small drops of black blood, and a crack in one of the vast flagstones where the creature had landed.

"Oh, that's not good." Cambrius said, wary of using heavy language and attracting the Moderati.

"Indeed." CMID agreed, equally wary.

"We should probably tell the mods about this - there's no sign of where it's gone." Cambrius said, casting about for any tracks. Ignis scratched his head.

"Well, there's also the fact that this courtyard's open to the sky. Theoretically, that means it could have left the Liber altogether."

The two looked at each other for a moment, not wanting to believe that it could have happened, but knowing, instinctively, that the Typo had somehow escaped the Liber.

"Oh, Sh-"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well, that's what I've got so far.

I realise there's not much action from the Wolves yet, but I plan to remedy that by the end of the next part. :tu:

Consider this setting the scene. :D

Absolutely outstanding Ace! Loved that from start to finish. I might just have to give my B+C Minisona a mace now...B)

Can't wait to see the rest and I love the idea of using a fortress monastery inside a hollowed out part of a planet. I may just use that at some point, refined of course.

Cambrius

Seconded.

Of all the Blood Claws in the Fang...I hastily be put with Greenhorn! No idea why. That whelps a liability *gives Arez a wink before punching him in the side of the jaw*

No idea where the idea for that pairing came up. Hope your ready for things to get a bit wild though :D

My this thread has been a good thread. Who knew there was a human side to the Liber beyond the merciless C&C? ^_^ Now I know I'm a very new member in a very old thread, but I'd like to add my own saga to the Liber Astartes and join in the typo crusade. With my brothers' permission of course.

Ah, the mighty Plasma Pistol of Purination and Alliteration. BURN THEM ALL!

Beautiful, Ace, beautiful. The Pl- er, Nemesis bit was quite nice. Nearly revealed an ancient secret there. :) That sounded so familiar to my standard recruitment speech...

Can a Wolf add a tale here?

As a former 'Wolf player, I can't see why not ^_^

The Liber is for everyone after all.....especially if you hate typos as much as we do! ;)

Edit: Gorram typos!

Archived