This is the Liber Astartes, PART II

Shinzaren

:eek Time to retreat to a safe bunker to ride our the fury of the Moderati as they find the perpetrator...if anyone needs me, I'll be in my bunker of painting heraldryness...:)

Cambrius

Even Cambrius has fallen to the typo!

Not bad, not bad. I'm interested in reading this terrible, terrible document now though :HQ: ^_^

There's a possibility that you just have. :) ;)

See, it couldn't have possibly have been that. Otherwise, you wouldn't be posting ;)

All things are possible. :P

Admittedly, some of them are very unlikely, but that's not the point I'm making. :Troops:

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting for a phone call I wrote this monstrosity for your amusement. My addition to the epic saga! Sorry I didn't fit many people in I tried but I thought it was utter crap so enjoy!

Slowly moving down the deep, dark corridor the Space Marine stared at the auspex in his hand. The machine buzzed every second tracking movement or heartbeats of other life forms, there was absolutely nothing within one hundred metres, odd for a normally busy sector of the Liber. In the marines other hand was a modified flamethrower, more akin to a heavy flamer really due to the addition of another barrel and promethium tank. The igniter on the end glowed with a white hot flame that flickered in the air.

An hour before the marine had been in full sprint chasing after a daemonic entity but he had lost track of it and resorted to an auspex search. He moved as quietly as he could in his Mark 4 Maximus armour just to be cautious but the auspex still returned no signals. The marine stopped in his tracks and flicked through different vision modes with his autosenses, staring at a dark red smear on the floor in front of him. Human blood, reasonably fresh, maybe the thing he was tracking would not be picked up by an auspex...

Putting the device into a pouch on his armour the Marine looked around, his vision set to infra-red, what if this thing wouldn’t show up on his autosenses either? Cursing himself for chasing after this thing without the proper scanning equipment he carried on down the hallway that would eventually lead to the Librarium. Why would this thing head there? The area was mostly deserted all that was there was ancient tomes and guidebooks.

The other Liberites had called these beasts “Typos” and they supposedly fed on misspelt lore. Why would it go to the Librarium? Surely everything there had been proofread and was perfect. But then it hit him. The scribes trying to submit new works! Breaking into a run he ran as fast as his superhuman physique would allow him.

After tense minutes the vox bead in the Space Marines helmet buzzed and a voice came, distorted by the vox but still recognisable.

“Brother Reyner, are you still after that monstrosity? Watch yourself lad we have already lost contact with several others.”

“Damnation! Ace it is heading for the Librarium! It wants the scribes!”

“Confirmed. The Moderati have been roused and they will be close to hand, watch what you say around them. Out.”

This really was serious then. The Moderati never seemed to react in force in the Liber, the place practically ran itself. He would have to be careful not to damage the Librarium as he barbequed this foul beast back to oblivion. Hopefully Ace had not modified his flamer too extravagantly...

The Librarium was dark and absolutely silent. The Typo was feesting on its latest victim, a hapless scribe who was attempting to enter his tome on the Flaming Monkey Chapter. The Typo had devoured the tome as the scribe stared in horror with a silent srceam flowing from his mouth. Its multitude of eyes looking in every direction and at him at the same time were utterly devoid of humanity, its body seemed to be a mass of machine and human parts all warped into a single enitiy. Truly a thing of horror, it ate him whole to be slowly digested over a thousand years.

Leaping through the massive doors Reyner skidded into the Librarium searching for his foe. His eyes darting to every corner and glancing down the rows of books and then he saw it, squatting on top of the submissions desk. Where were the Librarians? The scribes? Had it killed everyone already? With a roar it ran at him smashing through the massive piles of books its fleshy arms raised in a killing swipe.

Matching the beasts roar Reyner brought his modified flamer to bear and unleashed it. Almost knocked back he was amazed how much fire his weapon spewed out, what had Ace done to this thing?! The effects were superb however and the Typo raored as it was bathed in white flame its skin turning a sickly brown black as it cooked. But still it came on howling in agony. Dropping the flamer Reyner was forced to draw his chainsword and start hacking at the burning mess.

“Die! Burn you unholy son-of-a-bi-“

Stopping himself mid insult Reyner saw the flash of a cape and the glint of flames on a pair of sunglasses. Hacking at the Typo keepign it focused on him he heard the whine of a Melta then there was an almighty flash and the sound of a screaming jet engine and the Typo disappeared in a cloud of ash.

Hurled back by the blast and pulverising several tables Reyner smacked into the cold floor of the Librarium, his armour was steaming and it was no longer in the black and red of the Legio but bare ceramite.

Through the smoke a figure approached the prone form of the Space Marine. His cape fluttered on nonexistent wind and his sunglasses shone brightly in the gloom. His armour was black as night as were his robes and his cape, somehow, was even darker. From his neck was his symbol of office, glinting silver in the shape of a Crux Terminatus and in his hands was a perfectly maintained and shiny meltagun.

The figure kneeled next to him pulling a dataslate from beneath his robes. He activated it and held it out so the prone marine could see it.

“Looks like I saved your life Frater. Now in return you will tell me where this came from!”

“M-Mo-Moderati Ferrata, I-I have no idea where such a thing would come from even less the fool who would write it!”

Cocking his head to the left the Moderati grabbed the prone marine’s gorget and brought him up to his eye level. Slowly he removed his glasses to reveal eyes of bright silver.

“I did not ask who wrote it. So in my mind that means you know exactly who did it and where I can find them.”

Behind his helmet Reyner’s eyes widened and his mouth dropped open.

“No Moderati Ferrata! I swear I don’t know anything! I have never transgressed I would not lie to you!”

With unnatural strength the Moderati effortlessly lifted the Space Marine to his feet and stared deep into his eyes, past the lenses of his helmet into his very soul.

“You are coming with me Brother Reyner”.

###########

Huh. It looked alot longer on Word :P maybe it's just the size of my monitor. Hope people likes it and I might do a few more continuing this story in time. Sorry for not fitting more people in I promise you will get featured in later works :) as the conspiracy evolves!

Hacking at the Typo keepign it focused on him he heard the whine of a Melta then there was an almighty flash and the sound of a screaming jet engine and the Typo disappeared in a cloud of ash.

Emperor preserve us! It has taken Reyner too! ;)

Great piece there Reyner! The very idea of a Moderati questioning a humble Frater such as ourselves is a scary thought indeed...

Cambrius

As Ferrata carried Reyner away down the corridor, Reyner's vox crackeld again.

"Oh, I forgot to mention," Ace's voice could be heard. "Don't use that Flamer of yours indoors without setting it to the lowest setting. I think I might have left it on 'Overdone' when I finished testing it."

Ferrata sighed. Reyner said nothing.

"And whatever you do, do not set it to 'Incineratus' without something solid to get your back against and some kind of eye protection. I don't even know why I let you talk me into adding that setting. Hey, are you listening?"

"He hears you, Ace." Ferrata responded. "Now shut up and let us track this abomination in peace."

"Shutting up, chief, effective immediately." Ace babbled, before actually shutting up.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I gotta remind you, guys, making a typo doesn't mean the Typo's got someone - it just means it's getting close. :(

EDIT:

Damn thing crept up on me. Luckily I always carry at least one throwing axe in case of emergencies.

Thanks guys, glad you liked it! And yes as Ace already mentioned every typo you spot means the beast is nearby. It was awkward convincing Word that I did each one on purpose!

“Die! Burn you unholy son-of-a-bi-“

Through the smoke a figure approached the prone form of the Space Marine. His cape fluttered on nonexistent wind and his sunglasses shone brightly in the gloom. His armour was black as night as were his robes and his cape, somehow, was even darker. From his neck was his symbol of office, glinting silver in the shape of a Crux Terminatus and in his hands was a perfectly maintained and shiny meltagun.

You know, I've only just noticed that the Moderati turn up after the flamer-censored use of bad language. ;)

I really, really wish I'd thought of that myself. ;)

I haven't had this much fun since Warhorse started "Tales of the Fang" back up. Keep it coming lads, good stuff!

I'm not gonna lie, the wacky antics you Wolves get up to were a big source of inspiration for all the bits I wrote. :)

I'd be tempted to pen a cross-forum tale, were it not for the facts that:

A] I'd probably get all the Wolf-forum characters wrong.

B] It'd belong more in Amicus than Liber.

C] I'd probably get all the Wolf-forum characters wrong.

I haven't had this much fun since Warhorse started "Tales of the Fang" back up. Keep it coming lads, good stuff!

I'm not gonna lie, the wacky antics you Wolves get up to were a big source of inspiration for all the bits I wrote. :)

I'd be tempted to pen a cross-forum tale, were it not for the facts that:

A] I'd probably get all the Wolf-forum characters wrong.

B] It'd belong more in Amicus than Liber.

C] I'd probably get all the Wolf-forum characters wrong.

The ingredients for a good Space Wolf saga are:

1. Ale

2. Whleps learning a lesson from their elders, usually applied through beatings

3. Ale

4. The enemies of the Allfather dying in various gory manners

5. Ale

6. Inquisitors/commissars getting insulted/put in thier place/dismembered

7. Ale

8. Bloodclaws doing something crazy

9. Ale

10. A feast of some sort, involving lots of food, brawling, and ale.

Oh, and don't forget the ale! :wacko:

The ingredients for a good Space Wolf saga are:

1. Ale

2. Whleps learning a lesson from their elders, usually applied through beatings

3. Ale

4. The enemies of the Allfather dying in various gory manners

5. Ale

6. Inquisitors/commissars getting insulted/put in thier place/dismembered

7. Ale

8. Bloodclaws doing something crazy

9. Ale

10. A feast of some sort, involving lots of food, brawling, and ale.

Oh, and don't forget the ale! :)

How would you feel about some of the Wolves next-door having to come to Liber to help hunt down a typo that threatened to turn their Fenrisian Ale (vintage M33, the sort of brew Russ himself would only have in moderation*) into Feirnsisan Aile (tastes like flat lemonade and about as alcoholic as tap-water)?

We've got enough crazy for everyone, so the Blood Claws can have the night off. ^_^

*Only five or six barrels in one evening, unless it's the weekend or there's some other excuse. That's Space Wolf moderation, right?

We wolves love hunting almost as much as brawling, so we would definitely be willing to join in. Btw, I like a combiflamer, Warhorse uses a melta and chainaxe. ;)

Come then my wolfy brethren, let me guide you into the madness of the Liber to hunt this horrid ale switching typo down! The one who downs the creature gets a virtual ale on me. :D

Cambrius

We wolves love hunting almost as much as brawling, so we would definitely be willing to join in. Btw, I like a combiflamer, Warhorse uses a melta and chainaxe. ^_^

Combiflamer for Jonas, melta/chainaxe combo for Warhorse. Check and check.

Right then. Are there any other resident wolves this story MUST NOT go without? The last thing I want is to cause offence amongst Russ's sons by neglecting to mention a cornerstone member of the Fang!

We wolves love hunting almost as much as brawling, so we would definitely be willing to join in. Btw, I like a combiflamer, Warhorse uses a melta and chainaxe. :tu:

Right then. Are there any other resident wolves this story MUST NOT go without? The last thing I want is to cause offence amongst Russ's sons by neglecting to mention a cornerstone member of the Fang!

Bah, you won't cause offense mate. We're not pansy dark angels. If it's sort of a nod to the "Tales of the Fang," Firenze (iron priest w/ 2 power axes) started it and Warhorse writes a bunch too. Hendrik (idk what he likes) and I occasionally add on. Maverik is also responsible for a lot of the craziness, Forte, Arez Greenhorn, and Skadi are some of the more vocal bloodclaws, and the command echelon consists of Wolf Lord Ragnarok, Rune Priest Irlin (Grey Mage), and Wolf Priest Maxdammit. Take your pick, or wander around our forum for more ideas.

We wolves love hunting almost as much as brawling, so we would definitely be willing to join in. Btw, I like a combiflamer, Warhorse uses a melta and chainaxe. ;)

Bah, you won't cause offense mate. We're not pansy dark angels. If it's sort of a nod to the "Tales of the Fang," Firenze (iron priest w/ 2 power axes) started it and Warhorse writes a bunch too. Hendrik (idk what he likes) and I occasionally add on. Maverik is also responsible for a lot of the craziness, Forte, Arez Greenhorn, and Skadi are some of the more vocal bloodclaws, and the command echelon consists of Wolf Lord Ragnarok, Rune Priest Irlin (Grey Mage), and Wolf Priest Maxdammit. Take your pick, or wander around our forum for more ideas.

That's a healthy ensemble of wolves, right enough. :D

This story might (most definitely will) take a few days to sort out. :)

After all, I've got to come up with another aspect of/subsection of/group of people within the Liber to tie it in with.

Can anyone think of something we haven't covered yet?

We've had Heraldry and Chaos departments so far. Mods and Librarians have featured a bit, we've even had a story from a lurker! Suppose we've missed Technical things but other than that I can't think what else to cover lol.

Archived