Most Powerful GK Build

Gentlemanloser

The Venerable rule for Ven Dreads allows for rolls on the damage chart to be rerolled. A roll of 5-6 is what you need to destroy a vehicle, so normally its a 1 in 3 chance, but Ven player can have it re-rolled if he so chooses. That's how I came to the 1 in 9 chance for a Ven to take a fatal hit. Rolling a 5 or 6 two times in a row is a 1 in 9 chance. And it pretty much renders the chance of losing the guns or mobility on glances to near zero.

A higher BS will be important for when your dread finally does lose a gun. Because while a 3+ reroll is good, I find the near certainty a 2+ reroll brings to be even better, especially in the later turns when a guns been stripped off and every shot counts.

I see the reasoning for that probabilty now - if the weapon is AP1 (i.e. Meltas, Tau Railguns, Arjac) though, the damage roll only needs to be a 4+ to get a vehicle destroyed result, so the chances of destruction can actually be as bad as 1/4 in many instances. For 60 points, it's just too expensive to fit into a list when your main objective is just to pop transports. yes, a rifleman can do other things besides that, but popping transports is what comes first - a regular dread achieves this admirably without requiring an ability that may not even get used in the first place (i.e. Reinforced Aegis). Being able to shake off penetrating hits is something that is much more important in close combat - this is where a Venerable Dread shines over the regular dread.

I considered the Venerable Dread but when points are tight enough as it is running the economy Dread seems more viable. I mean thinking to myself how I could chop 180pts out of my list (1500) to make the Dreads Venerable I'd have to either lose my Vindicare and some wargear or lose my camping scoring unit and even more wargear and I don't know if it would be worth it. Fitting 3 scoring units in there was hard enough let alone 2 and now the anti-tank is severely reduced for more slightly more accurate and resilient Dreads.

I suppose it comes down to your points limit. In my area we play 1500 so things are tight. 1750 sees a Techmarine added to give the Vindicare a 2+ cover and to fix the Dreads. While he isn't as good as re-rolling pen/glances he does give me Bolster Defences and more resilient Dreads.

I understand what your saying but I'd drop a Vindicaire to make room for a Ven Dread. It might just be because I've been playing Tyranids for the last year and I've had a lot of my illusions dispelled about the efficacy of a t4 3++ model with multiple wounds going up against lascannon and missile spam. To me a Vindicaire is an expensive Zoanthrope SC with double range. And even 36" is too close when there's plentiful s8-s9 shots on the board that go 48". And you can't bolster a ruin outside your deployment zone, so your Vindicaire won't be in any kind of optimal situation for shooting.

But a Ven in bolstered ruin, with the techmarine, now that's a real snipers nest. Add a GKSS squad and you have a tidy little objective sitting firebase.

Edit: I will admit, you'd need some bigger ruins for the Ven, but hey, there's downsides to everything.

I understand what your saying but I'd drop a Vindicaire to make room for a Ven Dread. It might just be because I've been playing Tyranids for the last year and I've had a lot of my illusions dispelled about the efficacy of a t4 3++ model with multiple wounds going up against lascannon and missile spam. To me a Vindicaire is an expensive Zoanthrope SC with double range. And even 36" is too close when there's plentiful s8-s9 shots on the board that go 48". And you can't bolster a ruin outside your deployment zone, so your Vindicaire won't be in any kind of optimal situation for shooting.

But a Ven in bolstered ruin, with the techmarine, now that's a real snipers nest. Add a GKSS squad and you have a tidy little objective sitting firebase.

Edit: I will admit, you'd need some bigger ruins for the Ven, but hey, there's downsides to everything.

The list's anti tank as is consists of a psycannon, Vindicare, 4 Daemon Hammers (2 master crafted) and 3 Psy-Riflemen Dreads. Now in theory the psycannon could pop a Land Raider but it's nothing to bank on. The Dreads can glance but again no plans should be based around it but the Vindicare has a good chance at this. He can also fill other roles. I admit he probably won't last long and I need to run the list to see if he is worth it but I can imagine the silver lining being that he then takes some of the heat off of the rest of the army.

By trying to free up 180pts I'd end up losing the Assassin, the two master crafted hammers and probably master crafted on the Grand Master. Or I lose the squad with the psycannon and then I lose even more wargear, diluting the efficiency of the current squads and removing a scoring unit (this is kinda balanced out by the Grand Master though). Some elements of that I can live with but when compared to what I get in return I prefer what I had before. 3+ re-rolling is an 8/9 chance of hitting which is good enough for me. Yeah I am concerned about them getting hit having never used Dreads before but this is where I might go for 1750. Also the Vindicare might be a distraction for a turn or two or maybe might even kill off those heavy weapons that threaten to hurt them.

I'm basing this all on my local meta and what I know the terrain to be like. Placing him is Bolstered terrain shouldn't be a problem and it should be ok for firing lanes. Based on what I know I'll be up against I can't justify taking them but we all have different gaming groups but then again I've not used the list before. I'm getting the FW Dreads so I can change easily if needs be.

The list's anti tank as is consists of a psycannon, Vindicare, 4 Daemon Hammers (2 master crafted) and 3 Psy-Riflemen Dreads. Now in theory the psycannon could pop a Land Raider but it's nothing to bank on. The Dreads can glance but again no plans should be based around it but the Vindicare has a good chance at this. He can also fill other roles. I admit he probably won't last long and I need to run the list to see if he is worth it but I can imagine the silver lining being that he then takes some of the heat off of the rest of the army.

By trying to free up 180pts I'd end up losing the Assassin, the two master crafted hammers and probably master crafted on the Grand Master. Or I lose the squad with the psycannon and then I lose even more wargear, diluting the efficiency of the current squads and removing a scoring unit (this is kinda balanced out by the Grand Master though). Some elements of that I can live with but when compared to what I get in return I prefer what I had before. 3+ re-rolling is an 8/9 chance of hitting which is good enough for me. Yeah I am concerned about them getting hit having never used Dreads before but this is where I might go for 1750. Also the Vindicare might be a distraction for a turn or two or maybe might even kill off those heavy weapons that threaten to hurt them.

I'm basing this all on my local meta and what I know the terrain to be like. Placing him is Bolstered terrain shouldn't be a problem and it should be ok for firing lanes. Based on what I know I'll be up against I can't justify taking them but we all have different gaming groups but then again I've not used the list before. I'm getting the FW Dreads so I can change easily if needs be.

No, I get what your saying.

Personally, my first go to list is going to revolve around 2 TL-Las/TL-melta stormravens, 2 Ven Dreads with Assaultcannons/DCCW and psybolt ammo, 1 10 man TAGK squad with Psybolt ammo and 2 Psycannons, combat squaded to fill the ravens, and a Librarian with at least Shrouding, Quicksilver, and Might of Titan, possibly with a Teleport homer and the Summoning as well. This should run me around a bit over 1200, which will allow me to spend a some on 2 Psyfleman Dreads, a 10man GKSS squad with Psibolt ammo and 2 Psycannons and a techmarine with various grenades as a firebase/objective holder. I'm still not sure about which NFW I'd equip the TAGK with, currently leaning toward 2 hammers, 4 swords and 4 halberds, splitting the hammers evenly and giving all the halberds to the non-Librarian group.

I haven't gotten a look at the final dex, so some of my choices may be off. It's not exactly competitve, but I just like the feel of it. This is my fun army for the most part.

Personally, my first go to list is going to revolve around 2 TL-Las/TL-melta stormravens, 2 Ven Dreads with Assaultcannons/DCCW and psybolt ammo, 1 10 man TAGK squad with Psybolt ammo and 2 Psycannons, combat squaded to fill the ravens, and a Librarian with at least Shrouding, Quicksilver, and Might of Titan, possibly with a Teleport homer and the Summoning as well. This should run me around a bit over 1200, which will allow me to spend a some on 2 Psyfleman Dreads, a 10man GKSS squad with Psibolt ammo and 2 Psycannons and a techmarine with various grenades as a firebase/objective holder. I'm still not sure about which NFW I'd equip the TAGK with, currently leaning toward 2 hammers, 4 swords and 4 halberds, splitting the hammers evenly and giving all the halberds to the non-Librarian group.

I haven't gotten a look at the final dex, so some of my choices may be off. It's not exactly competitve, but I just like the feel of it. This is my fun army for the most part.

I know a lot of people are really loving the idea of 2 psycannons and psybolt combo but I have rolled this out against the good old marine benchmark a fair few times and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. Even when firing the heavy profile it didn't really make much of dent on a consistent basis. Sure against lesser units it will tear them apart but I'm pretty sure the units which are less than marines would die to storm bolters anyway so it seemed logical to make the SS better at killing marines in combat. Not to that it's expensive to go the shooty route and it's best on Termies like you've done. I'd rather take better force weapons and losing them to psycannons doesn't sound appealing although it's not like 2 less force weapons is the end of the world. I could be horrifically wrong with how I have designed my list and my Strike Squad units but instincts have left me with what I have.

That's not to say I don't think they don't have their place. The 1750 and 1850 lists I wrote have a purifier squad with the maximum I can fit in.

As for NFWs and load outs my current mind set it a MC'd Hammer on the Justicar, another Hammer on another guy, a Warding Stave for a bit of added protection and the rest Halberds. Two Hammers is pretty tasty and relatively cheap. I went for 2 just to bump the flexibility of the unit and the list's anti-tank.

This being a thread about lists I suppose I should post it up.

1500 List

Grand Master, Master Crafted NFS

Vindicare

10 GKSS, 7 Halberds, Daemon Hammer, Master Crafted Daemon Hammer, Warding Stave, Rhino, Dozer Blades

10 GKSS, 7 Halberds, Daemon Hammer, Master Crafted Daemon Hammer, Warding Stave, Rhino, Dozer Blades

5 GKSS, Psycannon

Dreadnought, 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo

1750 List

Same as above but has the following changes;

Adds a Psycannon to the Grand Master

Replaces the 5 man GKSS with 5 Purifiers, 2 Psycannons, Halberd, Warding Stave, Master Crafted Daemon Hammer, Rhino, Dozer Blades

Adds a Techmarine

1850 List

Same as 1750 except the Purifiers become 10 Purifiers, 4 Psycannons, Rhino, Dozer Blades.

The 1850 list seems to hit that Zen point for me although I'm pretty pleased with the 1500.

I know a lot of people are really loving the idea of 2 psycannons and psybolt combo but I have rolled this out against the good old marine benchmark a fair few times and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. Even when firing the heavy profile it didn't really make much of dent on a consistent basis. Sure against lesser units it will tear them apart but I'm pretty sure the units which are less than marines would die to storm bolters anyway so it seemed logical to make the SS better at killing marines in combat. Not to that it's expensive to go the shooty route and it's best on Termies like you've done. I'd rather take better force weapons and losing them to psycannons doesn't sound appealing although it's not like 2 less force weapons is the end of the world. I could be horrifically wrong with how I have designed my list and my Strike Squad units but instincts have left me with what I have.

That's not to say I don't think they don't have their place. The 1750 and 1850 lists I wrote have a purifier squad with the maximum I can fit in.

As for NFWs and load outs my current mind set it a MC'd Hammer on the Justicar, another Hammer on another guy, a Warding Stave for a bit of added protection and the rest Halberds. Two Hammers is pretty tasty and relatively cheap. I went for 2 just to bump the flexibility of the unit and the list's anti-tank.

This being a thread about lists I suppose I should post it up.

1500 List

Grand Master, Master Crafted NFS

Vindicare

5 GKSS, Psycannon

1750 List

Same as above but has the following changes;

Adds a Psycannon to the Grand Master

Replaces the 5 man GKSS with 5 Purifiers, 2 Psycannons, Halberd, Warding Stave, Master Crafted Daemon Hammer, Rhino, Dozer Blades

Adds a Techmarine

1850 List

Same as 1750 except the Purifiers become 10 Purifiers, 4 Psycannons, Rhino, Dozer Blades.

The 1850 list seems to hit that Zen point for me although I'm pretty pleased with the 1500.

Ah but terminators get the best of all worlds, as they should for 40ppm. Special weapon terminators don't lose their NFW. So you get all the awesome goodness of heavy firepower at full bore and the up close killing power that only force weapons provide. The heavy weapons are mostly for cracking vehicles anyway. Once the troop filling has fallen out of the wrecked transport twinkie, the termies are there to mop them up. I only give them Psycannons as a fall back in case the other vehicles didn't do enough damage in the intial rush.

Edit: For proof positive about GKT keeping their NFW with their heavy weapons choice, just look at the GKT models GW displays on there page. The first pic should have a guy with a BFG psycannon strapped to one arm and a sword in the other.

Target saturation. You can walk them across the board if there is enough stuff to shoot at. And therein lies the problem.

I am trying to keep everything as cheap as possible, but stuff like Rad and Psychotroke grenades or the 50pt Master Crafted Psycannon for the Grand Master are just too darn good to ignore!

I will be trying to utilise scouting Rhinos and a scout-shunting NDK to get a 1st turn charge off, if I win the roll off for first turn (Grand Strategy is done before deployment but at the start of the game, so after you roll for turns). If I don't then I will probably use the counter attack or scoring Grand Strategies. I was looking at trying:

Grand Master

Master Crafted Nemesis Force Halberd

Rad Grenades

Psychotroke Grenades

Master Crafted Psycannon

Vindicare Assassin

Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10

2 x Psycannon

4 x Nemesis Force Halberds

5 x Nemesis Force Swords

Justicar w/ Master Crafted Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Psybolts

Rhino

Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10

2 x Psycannon

5 x Nemesis Force Swords

Psybolts

Rhino

Grey Knight Terminators x 5

Psycannon

Nemesis DreadKnight

Personal Teleporter

Nemesis Greatsword

This is a list which will basically go all out at a perceived weak point in the enemy line and burst it open. If I get 1st turn then the NDK will be shunting and then charging into Long Fangs or some such nastiness. The Vindicare will be picking off Power Fists, Librarians and other soft targets. Heavy Armour if he really has to and the NDK can't Hammerhand through with his Sword. I am looking at a lot of mobility, great mid range fire power and a nasty punch in combat with some dirty tricks from the Grand Masters grenades.

And then I fancied writing a for fun footslogging Deathwing style list:

Grand Master

Master Crafted Psycannon

Master Crafted Nemesis Force Halberd

Rad Grenades

Psychotroke Grenades

10 x Grey Knight Terminators

2 Psycannon

9 x Nemesis Force Halberds

Master Crafted Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Psybolts

5 x Grey Knight Terminators

Psycannon

Master Crafted Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Nemesis Dreadknight

Personal Teleporter

Nemesis GreatSword

Heavy Incinerator

Nemesis Dreadknight

Personal Teleporter

Nemesis Greatsword

Heavy Incinerator

Lots of 1st turn charging and excellent mid ranged firepower with scary close combat ability. Not much in the way of survivability at long range, but this list relies on Warmachine assassination style set ups with the NDKs holding up units which really are a danger to my Terminators until they can get to where they need to be

Alright, after a few beers and some raking over the coals of my brain, this is what I came up with.

Grandmaster -

Rad Grenades

Daemon Hammer

Incinerator

3x Servoskulls

Total : 215

Castellan Crowe -

Total : 150

Vindicare Assassin -

Total : 145

10x Purifiers -

4xPsycannons

6xHalberds

Total : 292

10x Purifiers -

4xPsycannons

6xHalberds

1x Rhino

Total : 332

10x Purifiers -

4xPsycannons

6xHalberds

1x Rhino

Total : 332

10xGKSS -

Psybolt Ammo

4xPsycannons

Total : 260

Dreadnought -

2x Twin-linked Autocannon

Psybolt Ammo

SearchlightTotal 136

Dreadnought -

2x Twin-linked Autocannon

Psybolt Ammo

Searchlight

Total : 136

Total points - 1998

Firebase : 16 Psycannons (64/32 shots) - 24 Stormbolters (48 shots) - 4 TL Autocannons (Strength 8, 8 shots)

Plan -

Place servoskulls in choke points and approaches - deepstrike GMGK and GKSS squad (attached) onto the table - combat squad out the psycannons to let the rest go chargin' in.

One Purifier squad (unmounted) acts as rear firebase in case of scouts, infiltrators, outflanks, deepstrikes, etc - two remaining Purifier squads combat-squad at deployment to set up appropriate firebases on choice flanks - Rhinos flat-out across table with mounted Purifiers to engage in close combat.

Vindicare does what he does.

Psyflemen Dreads flank behind moving units to cover with Reinforced Aegis and effective anti-anything fire

Crowe gets scout, walks on board from a table edge, proceeds to either get shot to all hell, or starts wiping the floor with random folks in the rearguard.

Mind you, the beer didn't stop flowing while I was writing this, so it may work in my head, but not on paper.

Thoughts?

I'm going to go with the vast majority on this in saying that Crowe's penance is to allow me to take Purifiers as troops and give me plenty of scoring options.

Granted, I could just hide him in a corner the entire time, but with how Purifiers are set up...they're just too delicious to pass up, really.

Um, can GKSS and Purifiers Deepstrike?

A certain PDF says no Purifier DS and yes GKSS DS, but I've been hearing rumblings along the line that only Interceptor (FA) Squads get to deepstrike now. So can someone say which it is?

Purifiers and GKSS cannot DS.

Interceptors can DS because they count as Jump Infantry and JI can always DS.

And of course, all TDA can DS.

I wasn't planning on deepstriking with the Purifiers; the skulls are an anti-scout/infiltration screen as much as they are sub-par homing beacons. Those guys ride on in the Rhinos.

Deepstriking would occur with the GKSS and the GKGM.

Edit for Hero on this one..

Grey Knight Strike Squad 100pts

Special rules :

Something

Something else

That other thing

Combat Squads

DEEPSTRIKE

Ih8u daemons

Um, can GKSS and Purifiers Deepstrike?

A certain PDF says no Purifier DS and yes GKSS DS, but I've been hearing rumblings along the line that only Interceptor (FA) Squads get to deepstrike now. So can someone say which it is?

Purifiers and GKSS cannot DS.

Interceptors can DS because they count as Jump Infantry and JI can always DS.

And of course, all TDA can DS.

Purifiers and Purgation squads cannot DS.... GKSS & GKIS both have DS in their Special Rules section.

I'm fairly surprised that nobody has mentioned this unit:

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor

-power armour

-3 skulls

-psycocculum

-psyker with psychic communion, and replacing chainsword with force sword

Purgatation squad x 6

-4 psycannons

total = 297

I'm guessing that this unit interests me a bit more than others, because my main gaming opponents are Eldar and SW.

Hitting on a 2, with a re-roll of a 2 on ANY psyker (or unit he is in) with 4 psycannons looks too good for me to pass up. The only real draw-back is the pricetag, but if I can blast Eldrad or any of the 3 rune priests ( YES... 3 rune priests! ) my buddy runs, it will pay for itself in a jif. I realize that this squad is eating a Rifleman Dread slot, and twice the cost, but being BS 10 Vs psykers will be lovely.

Nemesis Falchions dont count as 2 weapons.

That is going to be a hard one for you to prove as every picture of a model with falchions in the codex shows them holding 2 swords.

You do understand that when they say a pair of falchions they mean 2 falchions.

All I am saying is that if you read page 42 of the BRB under the heading of fighting with 2 single-handed weapons...

second point .... 2 of the same special weapon... "These models gain 1 additional attack. All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use the special weapon's bonuses and penalties."

So this gives us the following

2 power fists... +1 attack for having 2 of them and double strength/strike at I1 as the power fist bonus/penalty.

2 lightning claws... +1 attack for having 2 of them and re-roll wounds as the lightning claw bonus.

It is no different with 2 falchions... +1 attack for having 2 of them and +1 attack as the falchion bonus.

It is baffling to believe that we need an FAQ to define what the word PAIR means.

As it is one single weapon option it does not count as having an additional CCW for the purposes of close combat.

You would require two separate pieces of wargear to gain the bonus attack from the BRB. You are replacing one piece of wargear with a single wargear option, thus you do not count as having two close combat weapons.

I also quote the BRB FAQ:

Q: What weapons count as single-handed weapons for the

purposes of gaining additional attacks in close combat? (p37)

A: All pistols, close combat weapons and any weapons

that are specifically stated as single-handed weapons in

their rules.

A pair of falchions is not described as a single-handed weapon, nor does the Codex state that the bearer has an additional close combat weapon.

As it is one single weapon option it does not count as having an additional CCW for the purposes of close combat.

You can buy lighting Claws as;

A Pair of Lighting Claws.

Just the same as a Pair of Nemesis Falcions.

I'm going with +1A for the special rule and +1A for two weapons. IIRC there's also some Deldar CC Wepaons that act the same way.

Caveat: I've not read the actual Codex yet though, so my opinion might change! :P

Archived