Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor

-power armour

-3 skulls

-psycocculum

-psyker with psychic communion, and replacing chainsword with force sword

Purgatation squad x 6

-4 psycannons

total = 297

I'm guessing that this unit interests me a bit more than others, because my main gaming opponents are Eldar and SW.

Hitting on a 2, with a re-roll of a 2 on ANY psyker (or unit he is in) with 4 psycannons looks too good for me to pass up. The only real draw-back is the pricetag, but if I can blast Eldrad or any of the 3 rune priests ( YES... 3 rune priests! ) my buddy runs, it will pay for itself in a jif. I realize that this squad is eating a Rifleman Dread slot, and twice the cost, but being BS 10 Vs psykers will be lovely.

hey this is a pretty niffty tactic! my metagame is seer councils and multiple BA libbys, this coukd work on a unit with Psybolt ammunition too!

one question......

DOES IT WORK IF YOU TARGET THE PSYKERS VEHICLE????? can i shoot a wave serpeant at BS10?

Of course people will shoot at long range dreadnoughts. I didn't say never. But, if I stick my Psyfleman up towards the back corner, you've got more important targets to worry about, like all those Psycannons raining down on you from 24". If you're shooting at my Psyfleman, that's one unit you're not shooting with at my GKSS or Purifiers.

Fallacy, sorry. If the Dreadnoughts are the most dangerous thing for your oppenent then it's NOT good if they shoot at them ánd then they WILL shoot at them. Unless you play bad oppenents of course :P

But eh, go ahead. Spend those 60points and let them go to waste putting out the same number of shots as a psyfleman dread. A Venerable Rifleman isn't that much more efficient than a normal Rifleman - certainly not to the point where it justifies a 60pt increase. In close combat, Venerables all the way. At range, definitely not.

You didn't read what I said did you? I'm not saying you should take them instead of regular ones. But where you go wrong is to say that Venerable Psyfleman are never worth it and CC ones are... but you can't back that up with logic really. Saying that taking Normal Dreads and using those for shortranged purposes is a bad idea; because Venerable ones do that much better... well that's indeed something I probably agree with. Both BOTH do the Psyfleman role well. Let's say....2500 points? I can see people taking Venerable Psyfleman along with regular ones there.

And unless it is turn 5 and you have removed half my army from play, a Rifleman Dreadnought is not the scariest thing in my army. For the majority of the game, they are not high on the target priority list. Certainly not whilst there are plenty of Psycannons on the battlefield.

Logic dictates that if I can utilise the 60point difference in the cost to supply my army with more guns or bodies, that is more beneficial for my army than an extra 1/6 chance to hit and the risk of destroying my vehicle on a re-roll. This logic is supported by the fact that the guns that can be purchased with 60points can cause more damage to an opponent than +1BS can throughout the course of the game.

Across two or three Venerable Dreads, this amounts to 120-180points, for the cost of which I could be just over halfway to including another GK squad into my list.

And unless it is turn 5 and you have removed half my army from play, a Rifleman Dreadnought is not the scariest thing in my army. For the majority of the game, they are not high on the target priority list. Certainly not whilst there are plenty of Psycannons on the battlefield.

Logic dictates that if I can utilise the 60point difference in the cost to supply my army with more guns or bodies, that is more beneficial for my army than an extra 1/6 chance to hit and the risk of destroying my vehicle on a re-roll. This logic is supported by the fact that the guns that can be purchased with 60points can cause more damage to an opponent than +1BS can throughout the course of the game.

Across two or three Venerable Dreads, this amounts to 120-180points, for the cost of which I could be just over halfway to including another GK squad into my list.

Its not the BS you are interested its the fact that a venerable is more likely to get stunned or shaken rather than a more serious result and a venerable has fortitude and so can ignore that result... I'm not saying this is the only way to go mind... As for other things doing more damage maybe... but that all depends on your list structure... each unit has its pros and cons and some are obviously better (or at least have a far better price) but with others the line is blurred and it will depends on how you use them and what you use them against.

You can take a single lightning claw can't you?

You can't take a single Falchion though can you..?

IIRC its rules explain that if you take only one lightning claw you wont get a bonus attack unless you take a 2nd lightning claw - even if you take a pistol and a lightning claw you wont get the bonus +1 attack for having 2 ccw's

Vulp

Are you trolling or do you have problems with reading? You simply seem to insist to not reply to what I say but instead keep rambling the same story. There is such a thing as social interaction when discussing things on a forum ya know.

Oh and btw; another chance of destroying your vehicles with a re-roll? Which results are you re-rolling?! Placed properly you only ever have to re-roll Destroyed results... Or when immobilized or weapon destroyed would make him useless for some reason then you re-roll that too. You don't re-roll any result above stunned automaticly. This basicly shows you don't even understand what having the 'Venerable' rule means...(not the literal meaning of the rule, but the implications of it) When you get glanced it even get's more interesting because the chances of getting a worse result than stunning is very slim in that case.

Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10

2 x Psycannon

4 x Nemesis Force Halberds

5 x Nemesis Force Swords

Justicar w/ Master Crafted Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Psybolts

Rhino

You appear to have 2 CCWs too many. By taking the Psycannon you lose your Storm Bolter and NFW. The unit will still cost the same, you'll just have 2 less swords.

I'm fairly surprised that nobody has mentioned this unit:

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor

-power armour

-3 skulls

-psycocculum

-psyker with psychic communion, and replacing chainsword with force sword

Purgatation squad x 6

-4 psycannons

total = 297

I'm guessing that this unit interests me a bit more than others, because my main gaming opponents are Eldar and SW.

Hitting on a 2, with a re-roll of a 2 on ANY psyker (or unit he is in) with 4 psycannons looks too good for me to pass up. The only real draw-back is the pricetag, but if I can blast Eldrad or any of the 3 rune priests ( YES... 3 rune priests! ) my buddy runs, it will pay for itself in a jif. I realize that this squad is eating a Rifleman Dread slot, and twice the cost, but being BS 10 Vs psykers will be lovely.

Against Nid (or other psyker-heavy), you can take a naked WH =I= w/psyocculum. For 50pts, you give a whole unit BS 10 vs psykers. Take a unit of 10 purifiers w/ 4 psycannons. You split this in combat squads and effectively have a unit that can have 5 purifiers w/ 4 psycannons and can almost auto-hit vs psykers. Not game-breaking, but nice!

Phil

Did in another thread :D With the purifiers, the cost is 33pts more, but you combat squad and get your 4 psycannons in the back and 5 purifiers in the front.

Phil

master-crafted template weapons re-roll their rolls to-wound.

Just for the record... is that specifically said in C:GK for their MC entry? The codex, not the PDF.

As I do not see that printed under any other heading for MC weapons, Template Weapons, Errata, or FAQ.

So unless C:GK is pulling the trump card, that statement is incorrect.

Just for the record... is that specifically said in C:GK for their MC entry? The codex, not the PDF.

As I do not see that printed under any other heading for MC weapons, Template Weapons, Errata, or FAQ.

Only twin-linked template weapons re-roll wounds.

You appear to have 2 CCWs too many. By taking the Psycannon you lose your Storm Bolter and NFW. The unit will still cost the same, you'll just have 2 less swords.

You are quite correct!

Well, blast weapons have their own rules too, but correct.

Rember, codex trumps basic rules. So if C:GK has specific rules allowing it, then it is okay. But otherwise it doesn't work.

Rember, codex trumps basic rules. So if C:GK has specific rules allowing it, then it is okay. But otherwise it doesn't work.

Don't have my old book on me right now, what did it say for MC Flamers..etc?

hmk17, a blast and a template are defined as two different things so what I put was correct seen as I only put template. Not a big deal.

HERO, there is no mention of Master Crafting in the BRB, only in the Codex which says 'A master-crafted weapon allows the bearer to re-roll one failed To Hit roll per player turn when using the weapon'. Nothing about being twin-linked which is what is required for re-rolling wounds with a template weapon.

What about in the '03 codex?

The GK book does not specify that if you MC a template weapon that you get a re-roll to wound. It doesn't mention anything other than re-rolling one failed to hit roll. Reading into it any more than that is making up rules.

Master Crafting in a previous codex has no bearing on the current one though. It's just confusion because of the similarity between twin-linked and master crafted weapons that require a To Hit roll. It would be great to get the re-roll for 5pts but alas it doesn't work that way.

I think the initial confusion is my fault; I'd confused master-crafting with a weapon being twin-linked and then posted about it without being corrected. :o

oh, so it's you're fault eh!

why you........

OK, I'll play. ;)

I can't say that this is the most awesome list ever, but it does have some nasty tricks. I only got to see the actual codex for a short time, but think all of this is still possible.

Librarian (Psyker 3, Quicksilver, Shroud, Sanctuary, Might, Summon, Warp Rift)

Mallius Inquisitor (TDA, Psyker 1–(Communion), Hammer, NFS, Servo skull)

Henchman Squad (7x Crusader, 1x Mystic)

Vindicare

10 GKSS (2x Psycannon, 9x Halberds, 1x Hammer-Justicar, Rhino-WSF)

10 GKSS (2x Psycannon, 9x Halberds, 1x Hammer-Justicar, Rhino-WSF)

10 GKSS (2x Psycannon, 1x Hammer-Justicar, Rhino-WSF)

Stormraven Gunship (MM, AC, Psi Ammo)

Dreadnought (2x TL-autocannon + Psi Ammo)

Dreadnought (2x TL-autocannon + Psi Ammo)

Lots of psychic shenanigans is the name of the game. Librarian, Inquisitor, and Henchmen Ride in the Stormraven, The super Librarian allows me to Summon all the GKSS (with rhinos) to the SR in a single turn (without scatter thanks to the embarked Mystic), The Shrouding ensures that both the SR and the rhinos get a 3+ cover save due to smoke or turbo boost. Sanctuary should help minimize assaults. The Vindicare is there to pop psychic hoods or other single models I may need dead and the Dreads can hang back and slag transports. The Inquisitor with Communion will hopefully ensure that any reserves come in when I need them.

I've got a good amount of shooty, but I think I've got enough bodies and Force Weapon attacks to do some real damage in CC, and the ability to redeploy almost the entire army to a Stormraven with a 3+ save should ensure that I can maintain localized numerical superiority.

I'm not sure I like the Inquisitor and Henchmen, but having the Mystic was the only way I could pull off a perfect mass Summoning. The Crusaders aren't great compared to other GK units, but I'm hoping that the stormshields will help to keep the expensive Libby safe and lend them some durability in CC. Plus, with the buffs that the Librarian can grant them, they can be I10 and S5 with 2D6 Armor Penetration which is not to shabby.

Archived