The Labyrinth

Welcome to the Labyrinth NapalmPirate!

Your idea for an army is interesting, definitely would be a great way to paint multiple different chapter/warband colors without having to do an army for each. The make-up of your Apoc force also sounds quite cool.

To quote the late, great Elvis Presley, "Thank you. Thank you very much."

I hope the army looks as good as I imagine it in my head. My wife paints my miniatures. She's a much better painter than I am.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, hushrong. I really appreciate it.

That is pretty cool that you have a tag-team for minis. If you build them and she paints them you could churn out an army pretty quick!

I wish I had someone around like that. I am hitting a bit of a rut right now and could use some help with painting :) Hopefully I can take a break soon from my summer accounting course and finish up my commission so I can get back to work full steam on my SoM and AC.

So have you made any start on your army?

No, I haven't done anything except buy the mini's themselves and sort them (Astartes, humans, beastmen, etc). I've also been jotting down what I want in this army as well. I've been spending some time with my sons during my short vacation from work. I'll try to get around to putting them together soon.

My wife loves to paint. It really doesn't matter what it is she's getting to paint, just as long as she's being crafty. She likes that I have something (40K) that keeps me out of trouble and it doesn't hurt that she loves Talos and Uzas from A-D-B's series of novels and short stories, too. She knows black and white with spashes of red are my favorite color combination and she promised to do a really good job on the Hounds of Malal. That's going to be the name of my Malal army, by the way.

I had a brainstorm yesterday evening of having four Daemon Princes (one from each of the Big Four) shackled and in the service of Malal. Since this is going to primarily be an apoc-style force, that's something I can probably get away with. As far as the humans go, the Reavers from the "Firefly" series and "Serenity" movie are a big inspiration. I imagine this army using whatever they can get their hands on as transportation. If they find a broken down Eldar Wave Serpent, they'll cut off what's left of the turret, weld some treads on the sides and use it as a Rhino. I imagine many an Ork force would be envious.

I have big plans for this army.

Do I hear crickets in the hallowed halls of the Labyrinth? Hmmm, summer must be keeping everyone else busy.

Your army is sounding very intriguing NapalmPirate. Looking forward to seeing an army list. I like the idea for the daemon princes, I think it was fanfluff in regards to the SoM using slave Daemons, but I like the idea of using chaos against chaos. I am actually thinking about how I should paint some enslaved juggernauts for my army. I have been thinking about painting khorne style and then paint some runes and their collar up to look like sorcerous pacts. Speaking if which, the juggernauts plastic collars might be good to use on the DPs, there are also scant bits of chains to use too.

Also, the Reavers from firefly/serenity...that would be a good representation of chaos-influenced mortals. They are mad/insane, blood-thirsty, and efficient. Right now I'd love to see some ramshackle chimera littered with extra armor welded on hastily and festooned with corpses.

Well, still haven't touched my SoM, even after getting stuff to start basing my second corpse guard squad. However, had some fluff written up and I may post it later. It is a boarding action story...but I am going to make sure it doesnt sound like a Soul Hunter/Wolf of Fenris story. Hope to post it here soon.

Pretty much, besides a few tidbits of info featured in white dwarf magazines, index Astartes, and they are mentioned/shown in the previous CSM codex and codex: eye of terror.

That's a shame. I was hoping for more. I was also hopeful there was some fiction that discussed their combat doctrine. I'm working on a short story involving my Hounds of Malal commander when he was 9th company captain with the Sons of Malice. Its set shortly before Kathal advised him to carve out his own path. I wanted it to "show" them in an actual battle against a xenos race, not just a rehash of them on the Labyrinth. Guess I can just wing it.

To be truthful, i would love more official fluff but then i worry it would be subpar because black library doesnt always priduce solid gold. If the SoM get some more BL love, i would love Henry Zou to write it. I could imagine him writig an awesome tale of the SoM vs the Inquisition (which is what I am going for)

As for combat doctrine, all that is known is that they fight in silence. I do like one bit of what i belive to be fanfluff stating that they are infantry oriented. I like it because I imagine a lot of SoM as skilled hunters because that would seem key to survival on Scelus. So being infantry, i like to think of them on foot trackjng prey and ambushing enemies. Other than that, I'm pretty sure they don't use anything belonging to one of the four chaos godd except maybe an enslaved farming or two.

That's helpful, hushrong. My warband's phsycher is a stormseer formerly from the White Scars Chapter. He's also the second-in-command and I can see him having some influence upon the commander in regards to combat doctrine. Bacause of this, the Hounds of Malal might go for a more quick-stike type of force. I understand the Sons of Malice operate in squads of 11, because that's Malal's holy number. I picture the Hounds having 10 per squad, with the operator of the transport vehicle counting as the 11th squad member.

I like the idea of them operating in silence.

I do hope BL publishes another SOM story and it's a GOOD story.

With your warband, I think the options are limitless for you as it is comprised of a lot of forces. A fast moving strike force sounds cool. Just go blitzkrieg on everything!

Being able to field eleven would be cool but sadly a rhino can't fit that many (although I am sure a single marine could piggy back on one if the crew compartment is full ;)). If you use a SM codex, you could make an 11 man squad of your captain and maybe some SoM followers of his in a drop pod or a land raider crusader. Each can hold more than 10.

Speaking of which, what codices will you be using? 

Probably CSM. If I decided to use anything else, it would probably be Space Wolves.

I'm leaning more toward CSM because I would like to utilize a squad of Brutes of Malal that count as plague marines. I would also like to throw in some Bezerkers of Malal, too. Malal's Mechanicus would count as noise marines and Malal's Sharpshooters would count as Thousand Sons.

I know the counts-as rule rankles some people, but the guys I'm in a gaming club with are OK with it.

• 1 month later...

I really should keep a closer eye on what goes on here at the B&C.

Some superb stuff gentlemen!

These might amuse you:

The Summit

The Last Testament of Captain Sandeman

Seems apt I should start painting more Sons for my army and find this thread, only to post on the 11th page :)

The Glorious Day approaceth :ph34r:

I really should keep a closer eye on what goes on here at the B&C.

Some superb stuff gentlemen!

These might amuse you:

The Summit

The Last Testament of Captain Sandeman

Seems apt I should start painting more Sons for my army and find this thread, only to post on the 11th page :)

The Glorious Day approaceth :D

Hey! good to see you again! I got to read a good portion of The Summit and I am quite liking it. And you are paint some more SoM huh? is there a painting thread to view?

Well, I have been mostly out of 40k for some time. Found a new gaming system that plays more the way I enjoy but I still got time for the boys in black an white (and my AC). One thing I have been looking at is this mini as the female 'voice'. My only hiccup is that I do not want to use a mini from a different company/game with GW. Even though it can open up more possibilities for conversions I just don't like the idea of mixing products for some reason.

Other than that...just sitting around an seeing where chaos goes. Hopefully, if we do get some new goodies I will be back in action for chaos!

also, i hope that it won't be a century till more of us start popping back in here. Otherwise, this thread will live up to its namesake:)

What are you lads taking for Ard Boyz. If I take Chaos (them or my fun orks), I'll go with this list I used to good effect vs GK's, but I'' drop Khârn and the zerks and add a lash sorcerer in a plauge marine squad with even more plasma (@ work, so can't do the cost thing with plauges; Here is the old list:

Khârn (w/zerks) (now a sorcerer)

Asp Champ (PF) + 6 Chosen (MoCG, x3 Plas. Guns, x1 Melta Gun), Rhino (Outflank if the board calls for it)

Asp Champ (PF) + 6 Chosen (MoCG, x3 Plas. Guns, x1 Melta Gun), Rhino

Asp Champ (PF) + 6 Chosen (MoCG, x3 Plas. Guns, x1 Melta Gun), Rhino

Skull Champ (PW/Plas. Pistol/Melta Bombs)+ 7 zerks (x2 Plas. Pistols) Rhino (now a plague squad with x2 more plasma guns in rhino)

Asp. Champ (PF, Combi-Plas) + 9 CSM (MoCG, Plas Gun/Melta Gun), Rhino

Asp. Champ (PF, Combi-Plas) + 9 CSM (MoCG, Plas Gun/Melta Gun), Rhino

Asp. Champ (PW, Combi-Plas, Melta Bombs) + 6 Havocs (x3 Plas Gun, x1 Melta Gun, MoCG), Rhino

Asp. Champ (PW, Combi-Plas, Melta Bombs) + 6 Havocs (x3 Plas Gun, x1 Melta Gun, MoCG), Rhino

x3 Obliterators (more?)

So fatter squads to absorb shooting hits (melee vs GK is fairly 1-sided anyway)and actually even more plasma than before (25 weapons not counting oblits).

Hey! good to see you again! I got to read a good portion of The Summit and I am quite liking it. And you are paint some more SoM huh? is there a painting thread to view?

Well, I've been out of the loop with uni and life commitments, but it's the summer hols so I have some time to spend doing 'me' things.

I'm working on 10 possessed and a Zhufor conversion, I decided to use Dheneb Stone rather than the light grey for the basis of the white - it gives a really nice ceramic tone and now I'm considering either repainting or replacing my old SoM models (most of it is 6+ years old and is a bit sad looking). As for a blog/wip thread, I have so many scattered about various forums that I need a tidy-up.

So, I've started to update malal-lives and have added a blog section for my models. Also looking at the idea of using either the SW or GK lists - anyone tried doing that for Sons of Malice yet?

I do plan to have a finished modernised army (1500?) all shiny and good looking in time for 11-11-11.

@Spear: Looks like a fairly standard lit, but I fear for Chaos' ability in current tournaments. You'd be beer off asking in the army list section.

Other than that...just sitting around an seeing where chaos goes. Hopefully, if we do get some new goodies I will be back in action for chaos!

also, i hope that it won't be a century till more of us start popping back in here. Otherwise, this thread will live up to its namesake:)

I'm right there with you on the Chaos front. Unless of course I'm hit with some unexpected vigor to get a Chaos force together. Not to divert from the main topic being of our glorious Sons of Malice, but I'm not all for Chaos at the moment. Too many things like the Sisters of Battle WD Codex and a hopeful near-future Necron Codex have swayed my attention, that and my delving into Codex:BA. The Labyrinth wont become abandoned, its just going to ferment for a while :D

What are you lads taking for Ard Boyz. If I take Chaos (them or my fun orks), I'll go with this list I used to good effect vs GK's, but I'' drop Khârn and the zerks and add a lash sorcerer in a plauge marine squad with even more plasma (@ work, so can't do the cost thing with plauges; Here is the old list:

I was trying to build an army up from recycled minis and bits...but it has just become a side project 'for the heck of it'. Your list looks good, and as Mabrothrax stated, best to post it in the Army list thread under Chaos to get some more opinions and ideas. When the time comes, let us know how your army fairs! ;)

I'm working on 10 possessed and a Zhufor conversion, I decided to use Dheneb Stone rather than the light grey for the basis of the white - it gives a really nice ceramic tone and now I'm considering either repainting or replacing my old SoM models (most of it is 6+ years old and is a bit sad looking). As for a blog/wip thread, I have so many scattered about various forums that I need a tidy-up.

So, I've started to update malal-lives and have added a blog section for my models. Also looking at the idea of using either the SW or GK lists - anyone tried doing that for Sons of Malice yet?

I do plan to have a finished modernised army (1500?) all shiny and good looking in time for 11-11-11.

I actually just remembered you started making those (possess and Zhufor) awhile back. I am still looking forward to seeing Zhufor done up in black and white. I also hope to see an awesome army shot on 11-11-11!

I will also have to check out Malal-Lives. Cool to hear that you have been back to work on it. As for using SW or GK, my SoM army was a Loganwing but I think it would run into the problem of being HORRIBLY outnumbered. I didn't plan to win much but I did plan to make a nifty little notebook of 'things I killed'. The original army I was inspired by was a 'Gorewing' for Khorne...and it was all about how much blood could be shed. Other than that, I would think a regular army using SW would be good for competition, they are a tough army. Plus...they have similarities to the SoM fluff-wise.

For the GK, I do not know. I had been thinking of transfering my all SoM termie army from SW to GK since termies are troop choices (i think).

*This is also why I haven't really worked on my SoM. Like I said, I planned on using the SW dex but then I just started to dislike the idea and wanted to use the GK dex, and then I kind of just wanted to have a Chaos army that uses the Chaos dex. That's why i started building and painting the SoM berzerkers. However, the CSM dex just lacks character and thats when the Astral Claws sunk their talons into me.

I'm right there with you on the Chaos front. Unless of course I'm hit with some unexpected vigor to get a Chaos force together. Not to divert from the main topic being of our glorious Sons of Malice, but I'm not all for Chaos at the moment. Too many things like the Sisters of Battle WD Codex and a hopeful near-future Necron Codex have swayed my attention, that and my delving into Codex:BA. The Labyrinth wont become abandoned, its just going to ferment for a while ;)

Yeah, haha, we really are on the same front. SoM on the back burner and we each are using a loyalist dex with metallic armored marines :P. I think the only things that will interest me are the SoB and the Chaos Legions (possibly the updates for Chaos Renegades too). The necron stuff is cool looking, and the stuff I have been hearing about their background is very interesting, but I am just going to stick with space marines for the time being.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if GW has any plans to delve further into Malal/Malice or the Sons of Malice with the upcoming Chaos Legions and Chaos Renegades codexes?

No honest idea really as I haven't been following 40k for the past few weeks.

If i remember the rumors correctly, Chaos Legions will be focused on the original traitor legions so there is no chance of them in there I think. Perhaps Chaos Renegades.... perhaps. It would be nice to see them get a bit more attention. I was wondering if that Treacheries of the Space Marines book may contain another story about them.

Double post...my bad.

Anyways, a long while back I was writing a story for my warband but that kind of stopped. Recently I have decided to start another one and write a story for them...so I hope you guys enjoy this. *i also posted this in the Librarium as well. so C&C is always welcomed!

----

Armored fingers dipped into the powdery substance. The four fingers barely fitting into the bowl crudely made from the skull of a xeno beast.

The warrior hesitated as he began to bring his cupped hand, covered in powder, to his face. He had always hated this ritual. Only the command of his lord to do so was the only reason why he would inhale the vile material.

Finally, he brought his hand up and inhaled.

Immediately his respiratory system came under the sensation of fire. His nostrils and the back of throat felt scorched as though hot air had been breathed in. He winced as he felt a thousand stings in the corners of his eyes. As he opened his mouth he felt as though smoke would fume out.

His hearts raced to the point that their beating would result in bursting. His lungs convulsed from the substance as they inflated and deflated erratically.

He would cough for several minutes. The contents of elixir were potent that it could kill a mortal. For a Demi-God such as he, the results were varied as well as strenuous.

When his internal organs calmed his eyes opened, wide, blood shot with the veins appearing to change color. His mouth began to gap as blood began to trickle down his chin. Despite the numbed expression of his bare face his mind throbbed and pulsed with activity.

He saw the faces of kinsmen past, the battles he had fought, and sometimes glimpses of his own death yet to come. As though a haunting witness to his own life, he walked the plains of his homeworld, the blighted surfaces of daemon realms, and the battlefields where so many lives were ended by his own hands.

He could not see or feel the blood running from his tear ducts. He was last in the lucid hallucination that gripped him and a voice that called him by name.

When he finally blinked after time unknown had passed the warrior stared with his blood shot eyes to the wall before him. He could now remember in vivid detail of when he carved into the steel flesh of the wall with his blade. Etched in the crude and forgotten alphabet he had carved words of praise & hate.

They were marked into the wall the shape of an eleven pointed star. Ten points, stretched out from the center symmetrically with one another while the eleventh had started from the bottom and pierced into the star itself.

He began to utter the words as specks of blood were spat forth from his mouth. Litanies speaking of a thousand betrayals, utterances of a dark and vengeful God, and hymns of utter destruction spilled forth from his lips.

The warrior could feel the sensations finally ebbing away as the prayer drew to its end and looked about the arming chamber. To his left and right were his brothers that formed a semicircle around the wall carving centered on him. Each coming out of their trances and slowly gaining coherence.

With a grunt from his throat their servants came from out of the shadows.

They brought forth the warriors tools of vengeance. In their cloth covered hands they bared boltguns bearing various forms of fetishes and trophies, bladed weapons of differing makes, and helms of black & white.

Before their masters the mortal servants knelt on their knees and elbows while holding up the relics they had been entrusted with.

The warrior took his boltgun and mag-clipped it to rear of his waist. Next he tethered his sword to his left. It was good to have them at his side once more.

Finally the warrior looked at what his third servant held from his kneeling position, his helm. The black was chipped and bare metal peered from the layer underneath and the white was stained and fading. The blue lenses were dull until they would be activated. He took pride in the lower jaw and tusks that decorated his helm that had been torn from a daemon of the false god of change.

He reached down and took it in his armored gauntlets. He looked at his reflection in the lenses. His features were brutish and insincere with his maddened eyes and blood covered mouth. He smirked as he clasped his helm in place.

The warrior breathed in the recycled air then tasted the bitterness of the powder and the sweetness of blood on his tongue. From his vox grill he uttered the final words of the prayer carved into the wall “Sins of our Father”.

“His Sons inheritance to avenge” his warriors responded in kind.

Soon, Ollphest and his kin would shed blood once more.

• 2 months later...

Archived