The Labyrinth

I definitely like this idea. I've been thinking in smaller scale now, esp. with mine being all True-Scale. I havent gotten my hands on the new Kill-Team rules, have they changed much since last edition?

I am not sure if anything is changed, I am new to the gaming aspect. All I know is that the rules are near the back of the Battle Missions book.

its pay day soon-im going to treat myself to that book with the SOM story in it...:)

It is a pretty good read. It is nice that the Sons get some love once and awhile.

you should check out killzone on big jims website or death squads

or also gangs of nu ork

So far, just posting pics in My Albums

The defiler looks beastly! You should also consider starting a log for yor army.

you should check out killzone on big jims website or death squads

or also gangs of nu ork

Do you have any links by chance? They sound neat and I like the clever title of 'gangs of nu ork.

---

Well my SoM are going to be infrequent for awhile. Doing a commission and also starting a 'new' army, currently paint-stripping my Imperial Fists at the moment. Recycling isn't so bad <_<.

I am debating if I should pick up th finecast raptors. I haven't heard too many positive reviews of the first releases...so I am thinking I should play the waiting game or just trade/buy some of the metal ones. Has anyone picked up the new finecast minis?

@Spear of Achilles: Awesome Defiler! Cant wait to see more.

@hushrong: First, thumbs up for recycling the minis. I'm recycling my Salamanders at the moment to maybe shoot or Ultramarines or Blood Ange unit filllers. Second, I'm debating on grabbing some Finecast minis. If they decide to give Vostroyans the Finecast treatment I'll be first in line to buy as many as I can get my grubby claws on. I'm still on the fence on this new model method due to it seeming like everyone who has bought one is GSing the crap out of them :)

proabably cheaper to buy Chaos Marines or Zerks on ebay and add jump packs from maxmini.eu than to buy finecast raptors. Here's some of mine with the addition of their steam knight helmets

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/BossGrabnutz/Raptors.jpg

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/BossGrabnutz/Wolves/1-1.jpg

Mr. Malevolent: yeah, I have a box'o Fists painted to a low tabletop standard, half of them having been recycled from my DIY army now that I think about it haha. I was going to paint half of it Blood Angels and repaint the other half as better looking Imperial Fist so I could use both SM & BA codices. Then I thought to paint loyalist SoM...but wanted to paint something not black and white.

As for the finecast...they really are hit and miss. I was thinking of getting Huron and try to make a mean looking conversion to lead my SoM berzerkers but I would hate to order it at my local store only to realize it was a dud and not buy it. *the guys who own the store I frequent are awesome and I'd hate to do that to em, having them spend their hard earned money on crap that won't make them money. This is the only time I wish there was a GW store in Austin...I wouldn't care about them at all.

Spear of Achilles: Those look neat and I have seen those maxmini bitz from time to time, but I really want something that looks like raptors. An avian helm, wide mouth grill, slims legs that end in talons, etc. I am on the verge of tryin to flex an artistic muscle and convert my own...

One thing I did see on FW are the Mk 2 & 5 assault minis with pre-heresy jump packs. They look sweet. I wish FW would do renegade stuff for CSM besides doors, nurgle, & khorne stuff.

Hmmm. i might make some falcon head helmets for my next batch. Gotta love pro create. I made the face on that daemon lord with pro create. Small helmets will be more of a challenge, but I've got some good clay-shapers. I'll try my hand and post them here soon.

http://www.dfwiki.com/images/e/ec/Hudson

Quick fluff story for you all. Enjoy!

The snow continued to fall unhindered as he took another drag of his cig. Trooper Jonas watched with boredom as he exhaled, his breath swirling up and into the dark night sky. It was then that he noticed the shooting stars. Normally they were high in the night sky but these had seemed to come towards the planet, descending closer with every second. Jonas was in awe as he followed their fiery path down into the neighboring valley to the west. Something was amiss and Jonas took one long final drag of his cig. Hacking and coughing as the toxins burned his lungs. The cheap vox-bead in his ear crackled to life, other Squads in the valley were being attacked by the inhabitants of the fallen stars. Before he could reach for his auto-gun Jonas felt intense heat and a loud roaring, deafening sound assaulting his ear drums. In an instant he was thrown violently back, thudding hard against the rock surface behind him. The ringing in his ears muffled his own cries of pain and shock. His back was destroyed, it felt as though his entire spine was pulverized.

Looking back to where he last stood, a giant black and white quartered pod sat, half buried in snow and dirt, its sides hissing and steaming from the entry through the atmosphere. Jonas’s squad 21 along with Squad 23 were already upon the pod, firing away with auto-guns and lasguns to no effect. Field medic Harris ran to where Jonas lay, sliding at the last moment, his field-kit already open, ready to tend to the fallen Guardsman. He could barely hear Commisar Tobias shouting “Get me a melta-gun on this position now! We haven‘t much time…“ even his loud authoritive voice was muffled by the intense ringing that assailed his ears.

With a loud clunk, the pod unfolded it’s sides like a giant metal flower, steam rushed out from inside the pod, the warm air from inside mixing with the bitter cold winter air of the mountains. There was a whining sound for a brief few seconds before a salvo of rockets rushed out to rip apart squad 23. Half the squad were blown into pink mists, shreds of flesh and bloody clothing falling with the snow onto the survivors. Commisar Tobias picked himself back up and began firing with his bolt pistol, his voice shaken but still demanding of his men, “Pick yourselves up, fire with the unrelenting righteous fury of the Emperor, for the enemy is upon us”. The melta-gunner next to Tobias was launched backwards, his torso exploding in a pink mist as the bolt that lodged itself inside his shoulder, only a second earlier, detonated.

Like the legendary sky-gods of old, striding through the fog of war, the Sons of Malice clad in the quartered black and white heraldry of Malice, strode out from the red lit interior of their transport. Each was a massive wall of hardened ceramite, their massive bolters barely nudging their trunk sized forearms. They made no sound, no cry of war, no insults to the Imperium as they parted the mist. They walked with the confidence only a being of pure power and fore-knowledge of their near invulnerability could. They did not rush to kill the scattered Guardsman who bravely held against them, they picked them off one by one, eyeing each target like a wolf preying on a herd of water foul.

Veteran Ihaka grinned with sharpened shark like teeth inside his avian helmet. He could sense the confusion amongst the Guardsman before him. He chuckled knowing that these pathetic memeha had never fought an Astartes force before, let alone a strike force like 5th Company. He bet they had even dreamed of fighting alongside their “sky-gods”, loyalists like the Marines Malevolent curses upon their name. He strode forward, auto-gun fire and las fire bouncing harmlessly from his armour and his war-trophies that hung from a chain on his pauldron. He raised his combi-bolter with ease, the servos in his armour whining to compensate for the guns weight, the bracelet made of various teeth that hung from his wrist clanking against his ceramite. His bolter was ancient, passed down from Veterans before him and lovingly slaved over by himself to make it the perfect killing instrument. It was a thing of beauty, if any weapon of war could be considered beautiful, the trinkets of teeth and bone tied to the hand grip, to the polished steel bracing his slave-artificer crafted for him. The trigger had recently been replaced and it fired with complete ease, oh how he loved the sound of its bark and the mule-like kick it gave, he knew every inch of the bolter and he knew it would reap him a fine tally today. He smiled again, a small droplet of blood slowly rolled down his lip as he unknowingly bit into it, the copper taste was good.

Sukh’bata closed the gap between himself and the Commisar. The damned fool already took down Kohunga, his chainsword swiping out his knee joint, costing the young one a leg and the outright slaying of Pihinga with a well placed bolt shot to the throat. Sukh’bata growled to himself before opening his vox-line, “I will not lose another brother to this dog, leave him to me”. Ihaka replied with a viper like hiss, “He’s all yours Sukh‘bata, chop him down from where he stands like the petrified trees of Scelus” Sukh’bata could feel Ihaka’s smile through the vox, he seemed to be quite enjoying this. To their enemies, there was no sound except for small mechanical clicks, confirming inter-squad vox-communication, for all Sons of Malice took vows to never speak before the enemy, whether they be Imperial, Chaos or foul Xenos. Sukh’bata rounded the side of a downed Chimera, its black charred hull evidence of Chuluun’s handi-work. He always worked efficiently, methodically, taking his war-craft directly to the enemy. Sukh’bata caught a glimpse of Chuluun in the distance, hammering Guardsman left and right into pulp, blood and pieces of crushed skulls and brain matter covered his right side from his massive hammer to his dented shoulder pad. A few scattered Guardsman met Sukh’bata, each one efficiently cut to ribbons by his chain-axe, each swipe was instinctual, he was born to kill, always and forever. Even with his helm sealed, he could taste the bitter coppery tang of fresh blood in the air, his lust for battle over coming him slowly, but instead of hindering him it helped him focus. Finally he came face to face with the troublesome Commisar.

The gaunt man was yelling something at Sukh’bata as he bounded forwards, he cared little to hear the babbling of the Imperial dog, he only sought revenge for his kinsmen. Time seemed to slow, as the two warriors clashed, mortal versus sky-god. The engagement lasted mere seconds as Sukh’bata used his immense bulk to over-power the mortal, shouldering him so hard and fierce that he could hear the mans rib cage collapse. Tobias only had a fraction of a second to understand what had happened before the giants chain axe bit through his neck, his last curse lost upon his dying lips as muscles and tendons were violently gnawed in half, his red hot life blood spilling over the fresh snow.

Steam was still issuing from the decapitated Commisars head as Sukh’bata unhinged his belt chain, the meat hook on the end rammed through his left eye with a fluidity only born from an individual well experienced in procuring trophies would. Auto gun fire pattered around him, kicking up small puffs of snow. Chuluun ran past Sukh’bata, his bloodied hammer spinning in his hand, his other hand pumping bolter rounds into the Guardsman ahead of him. “Come brother,” Chuluun’s stony voice crackled over the vox, “grab your trophy and fight with me, there are more Imperial dogs to put down”. Sukh’bata smiled inside his helm, Chuluun was always egging him on after he felled a particularly difficult opponent. Sukh’bata spun on his heel, and he followed behind Chuluun, bolters barking into the night.

The engagement only lasted six minutes, and they had reaped a bloody reward of over two hundred Guardsmen. It always amazed Sukh’bata that a strike force as small as three squads could overpower a Guardsman force so easily. They always seemed like spineless children, fumbling with their courage when the enemy came straight for them, instead of hiding behind cover exchanging shots. Sukh’bata had tallied himself sixty Guardsman, his armour and weapons slick with life blood. With a hiss, Sukh’bata removed his helm, the cold air biting at his warm tattooed face and the tang of blood filling his nostrils. He had magnet-clippped his chain axe and gripped his flaying knife with the eagerness of a hungry wolf. Victory was won and now he was to reap his reward, uttering a prayer to Malice before indulging himself on the corpse he held in his free hand.

Ihaka was hovering over a Sergeants body, his helmet magnet-clipped to his left thigh plate, his immense power claw neatly opening the dead mortals rib cage with ease. Quickly he whispered a prayer to Malice and scooped up the torso, before sinking his sharp teeth into the still warm bloody flesh. There was more battle to come and the brethren of fifth company needed to invoke the blessings of their patron Malice. His work was never done, but the Sons always took to his calling, taking the charge boldly and without faltering. Truly they were Sons of Malice.

Spear of Achilles: Pro Create huh? I will have to look it up. I would like to step up my sculpting game one day soon.

hummus: Thanks for the links. I will have to give those sights a good look over.

Mr. Malevolent:Sweet story!

The ending has me wondering again about the consumption of flesh. With your ending and the Labyrinth story, it was ritualistic. For your story it was to offer thanks and invoke blessings from Malal and in Labyrinth it was like a pot-luck/reunion where eating slaves (not all of whom were human I think) was just something you did when the fam got back together every century.

In one of my short bits...it was just something they did. Going off some suggestions, the continuous eating of flesh has damaging effects on the brain. In the case of Hizur (i think thats what I named the SoM), it drove him and others technically crazy. He and his 'squad' were assault marines that tore into the enemy first and would eat flesh to try and pick up on knowledge their victims had. for example, they could have eaten some flesh of an officer to try and determine enemy disposition, strength, numbers, etc. However, having done this so many times and 'feeling' the victims experiences became detrimental. They would, for a lack of better word, experience emotions they no longer had like fear. Along with that they could feel the pain probably of very gruesome deaths and so on. This brain damage could lead them into insanity or even an addiction (though I would hate to think of it like that) to shed more blood. *which is my fluff for having berzerkers.

hmmm...excuse me while I go do some more thinking on this...

Going off some suggestions, the continuous eating of flesh has damaging effects on the brain.

Its crazy but I had this idea for a company that basically eats anything and everything and become fevered ghouls. Then of course a few Companies/Warbands get together and destroy them, sort of putting the mad dog down. I was thinking of including all our Companies and Warbands as a Chapter effort to keep themselves from slipping into the dark path so to speak.

Going off some suggestions, the continuous eating of flesh has damaging effects on the brain.

Its crazy but I had this idea for a company that basically eats anything and everything and become fevered ghouls. Then of course a few Companies/Warbands get together and destroy them, sort of putting the mad dog down. I was thinking of including all our Companies and Warbands as a Chapter effort to keep themselves from slipping into the dark path so to speak.

That would actually be cool. In regards to Malal, it would definitely show the indiscriminate destruction even upon ones self (in this case, brothers in arms).

It would also bring to light a very worrisome truth to the Sons. Cool idea Mr. Malevolent!!

Thanks hushrong. Yeah I wanted to play on the idea of Malal draining his servants and when they eat the dead after a well earned victory they regain their strength and gain life essence back (they cant connect the dots back to Malal draining them, or their just ignoring the facts). Like its a back and forth tug of war, the Sons just trying to survive and Malal slowly and methodically draining them over time, while playing the "saviour" aspect. The "rogue" Company just couldn't seem it and gave in to the crazy ghoul side and started drawing too much attention to themselves. I'll probably expand on this idea soon, just have to make sense of my notes :o

Yeah, I had the idea as well that if they eat flesh to can gain back some of their own life (which is being sapped) much like the Dark Eldar kind of. But I couldn't really think of a way to justify how it is done.

The closest idea that could make sense was some sort of 'dark, arcane' ritual that resulted in not only flesh being consumed, but souls as well. However, it just seems too far out for me.

If I could toss in some ideas for the need to exterminate a rogue company:

-They have failed to participate in the centennial gathering at the Labyrinth. (this is like a slap in the face for they are not honoring a revered tradition.)

-They are drawing too much attention to the SoM. (they could be tailing a fellow company/warband and if the inquisition start to track them...it only means the main force will be hunted)

-It could even be a mercy killing...and a chance to pick up some wargear and a ship or two.

This is a pretty big event in my opinion...I wonder what our brothers think about this.

-They have failed to participate in the centennial gathering at the Labyrinth. (this is like a slap in the face for they are not honoring a revered tradition.)

-They are drawing too much attention to the SoM. (they could be tailing a fellow company/warband and if the inquisition start to track them...it only means the main force will be hunted)

-It could even be a mercy killing...and a chance to pick up some wargear and a ship or two.

This is a pretty big event in my opinion...I wonder what our brothers think about this.

I think it could be a combo of it all. I think it could start with them not participating in the gathering, which of course drives the other Sons raging. Then after finding them, they find out they've been raiding everything/hiring themselves out/ splitting into World Eaters-type warbands just devouring everything and drawing the attention of the big bad Inquisition. Then of course the mercy kill. Which of course could involve so many different forces, could take place during the 13th Black Crusade, Kathal playing the angles to "side" with Abaddons forces to easily get at the rogue company. I would love to see what everyone else thinks of this because like you said it could mke a huge wave in our fan-made fluff that could echo down to all our forces. I like where this is going.

Thanks hushrong. Yeah I wanted to play on the idea of Malal draining his servants and when they eat the dead after a well earned victory they regain their strength and gain life essence back (they cant connect the dots back to Malal draining them, or their just ignoring the facts). Like its a back and forth tug of war, the Sons just trying to survive and Malal slowly and methodically draining them over time, while playing the "saviour" aspect. The "rogue" Company just couldn't seem it and gave in to the crazy ghoul side and started drawing too much attention to themselves. I'll probably expand on this idea soon, just have to make sense of my notes :rolleyes:

maybe they know about malals price and take it that is the price they pay for his boons or blessing

I really like this story of getting a rogue company! :D I'm gonna write a story about it :P

Thats cool, but it would be best for everyone to collaborate since this would involve a large majority of the chapter. It's also Mr. Malevolent's original idea so I think it'd be fair if he took point with this.

Whatever you have, do share. One thing I think would be cool is the meeting of all the SoM 'Captains' with Kathal regarding their lost brethren.

I think it'll be fine. Goose always shares so I know he has no intention to stab me..... or does he? I cant trust any of us renegeades haha I kid I kid :P

On another note, does anyone know what armour Kathal wears? Or if anyone feels daring enough could they post a snipit about him from the short story? Just want to cover all the bases when I jump into this scenario I'm seeing, with him meeting with all the "captains".

I do not remember anything about his armor.

However, I was going over my fluff and it gave me an idea to what really could have pushed the Sons to purging their own ranks. Part of my fluff describes a grand passage way lined with trophies, some of which had belong to the Celestians from the Betrayal. It also mentioned how this grand gallery was reminiscent of one found within the labyrinth.

I was thinking that the grand gallery within the Labyrinth would bear many trophies from =][= forces that tracked the 'rogue company' to the labyrinth itself. So essentially, having mostly devolved into brutes, they would have made way to the labyrinth while leaving a battlefield behind them, and from there the inquisition tracked them. Despite not being able to hail reinforcements, the inquisition forces would have attacked...and would have been massacred. Since the rogue company had been falling from grace and now allowing the Sons sacred site to be defile by the inquisition presence...only death could amend their wrongs. And so, two battles were fought within the labyrinth, one to kill and capture =][= forces and another to exterminate a liability.

Just a crazy idea I thought to share before knocking out.

hey man i love what you have done here

i have also done a malal type theme but mine is one of the lost legions

they are half white and half black

can you tell me how you do the white because i cant find a good enough tutorial

I always imagined Kathal wearing Terminator armour.. I don't know why.

But about the story don't worry I have no intention of stabbing anyone, and the story's not even really gonna be about that, it will just be set during that conflict, is that cool?

Archived