The Labyrinth

hushrong I was thinking about your nameless Sons, does anyone know their name? Like with other Sons of Malice companies, do they communicate through the Voice-lady or what?

Their old names will be known but never spoken. Perhaps it's punishable by death. Instead, they are known by the deeds that grabted them ascension to the Corpse Guard. For example, the Veteran of Midas Bella was the SoM who assured victory in that engagement and reaped a bloody toll. So he is best known by that title.

The Voice only speaks for the Abhorred because he never says a word, and usually never has to to get his point across. The other SoM will talk when not actively fighting. Just in that one bit, she was watching that warrior and was enjoying the fighting where the warrior himself did not express any emotion.

does anyone have a simple, easy way to paint SOM to gaming standard? (posted a thread about this but no replies yet)

The last post in my SoM thread. Basically, mix some grey with skull white. I would retype it here but I'm using my iPhone and it tries to auto correct everything.

If you're interested, the one I use goes as follows:

1) Graveyard Earth basecoat

2) Mix steadily more and more Skull White to make it lighter (if I'm being lazy I'll do two layers max), though because the white is such a "weak" colour, once you get past about 50/50 Skull White and Graveyard Earth I'd suggest switching to just mixing small amounts of Graveyard Earth in Skull White, cuz otherwise you need A LOT of Skull White to get a suitably light colour from your original batch of Graveyard Earth.

3) Having made sure that the final layer is clearly not pure white (it's amazing how dark a colour you can actually get away with and still call it white!) I highlight the edges of the armour with pure Skull White. If the white doesn't show up well enough, I normally thin out Scorched Brown and wash the armour with it to darken it a bit.

4) Paint small Scorched Brown chips (although I'd use Bestial Brown if I had it I think), focusing especially around the joints of the armour and elbow- and knee pads.

5) To create the trompe l'oeil, as it is called, you highlight the bottom of the chip with pure Skull White

It's a simplified version of the White Dwarf painting guide for Korsarro Khan.

just found out about the price hike...:down:

Yeah, as did I. Looks like I'm severely limiting my next venture into an army, maybe hold off on another Space Marine force and try out Tyranids or Dark Eldar since Marines saw the highest price add.

Goose: I like your recipe because of the weathered look. Did you ever do the original khan paint tutorial before changing it up?

And her us my recipe:

I start with a black primer coat. The parts I want white are first painted fortress grey and then washed with badab black. *grey is a great paint color when painting something lighter on a black undercoat. When the wash is dry, paint two or three coats, should be even and covers well by then, with the mixed fortress grey/skull white.

The mix may look grey but when applied it is white. Kinda weird but test your mix before putting it on the mini.

Mr. Malevolent: Best bet would be to try an invest in a battleforce. Like I said earlier, I'm shooting for a Dark Eldar one where I get everything for a nice price, then I can add the new goodies to it bit by bit as it seems a lit of thief stuff didn't go up in price. It does suck that warriors/wyches went up $5, the $24 price tag made them look really desirable.

Is there anything "canon" that shows Sons of Malice with skull insignia on their shoulders?

If I am not mistaken, there is a single "official" picture of a SoM Marine in the 2002 CSM Codex, and the shoulder pads aren't really visible - especially the black side shoulder. This same image is repeated in WD302, with no others added.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/5/53/Sonsofmalicemini.jpg

Is the skull insignia something that came later, from unofficial sources?

I am strongly considering putting the squad designation - "tactical" arrows, for example - on both shoulders, to play up the mirrored contrast.

I think the halved skull is from the comic set in the old world. So it just got transferred to the SoM by fans I think.

As you said, that single pic is the only official one and you can't see too much on him. I like the idea that te color scheme is more than enough to signify who they are.

I think the halved skull is from the comic set in the old world. So it just got transferred to the SoM by fans I think.

As you said, that single pic is the only official one and you can't see too much on him. I like the idea that te color scheme is more than enough to signify who they are.

Yeah I think it started off in the comic world of Malal way back when, but I love the half and half skull. I would think their symbol would be that anyways. But alas GW gives us no hints, just a vague idea as always :[

Now that I think about, isn't the half skull the tattoo the SoM have?

I don't have a copy of heroes of the space marines but I remember that tat being mentioned in the short story. Anyone can confirm that?

Mr. Malevolent: Best bet would be to try an invest in a battleforce. Like I said earlier, I'm shooting for a Dark Eldar one where I get everything for a nice price, then I can add the new goodies to it bit by bit as it seems a lit of thief stuff didn't go up in price. It does suck that warriors/wyches went up $5, the $24 price tag made them look really desirable.

Oh yeah I definitely will. I put all my other Marine ideas to the side (Ultramarines and maybe a Sanguinary Guard Strike-Force), except my SoM of course ;), and decided to go for a bike force in "normal" size. Grab a few Ravenwing battleforces and BAM! instant White Scars (or Ravenwing for an even smaller force=less building cost). Plus I just found a site with DIY Drop-Pods for like $27 so I'm not terribly affected by the price hike....

Now that I think about, isn't the half skull the tattoo the SoM have?

I don't have a copy of heroes of the space marines but I remember that tat being mentioned in the short story. Anyone can confirm that?

As far as I can see all they mention is "the mark of Malice" on his upper arm.

I am keeping skulls, especially the halved black and white one as a central symbol in my Company, as respect to the fallen hero of Malal, Kaleb Daark ;) However the Company/Chapter symbol I'm putting on the pauldron is going to be something slightly different, inspired by Brother Melice's excellent Marine Malevolent vs. Son of Malice artwork.

I am keeping skulls, especially the halved black and white one as a central symbol in my Company, as respect to the fallen hero of Malal, Kaleb Daark ;) However the Company/Chapter symbol I'm putting on the pauldron is going to be something slightly different, inspired by Brother Melice's excellent Marine Malevolent vs. Son of Malice artwork.

Yeah I'm keeping the divided skull too. The symbol you refer to for your company is that the multiple face one? I remember seeing his pic which is awesome.

Yeah, the divided skull certainly does look good.

But I don't have a design or decal; I suppose I could make my own, but I don't know if that will work well.

I can freehand paint (with a template to get me started) a "tactical" arrow on each shoulder and keep the symmetry...

Like so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/cessna182/SonsofMalice3-1.jpg

Edit: Goose, where is this artwork?

Cessna there's a good tutorial on doing freehand skulls over at the Tutorial Section.

Yeah I meant the multiple faces one. I'm not sure what it is, but I kinda like it so I'm gonna see what I can come with. I'm thinking something like the symbol for drama:

http://rangtarangini.iiita.ac.in/drama1.jpg

The dual face is cool. It also makes me think of the bad guys from the riddick movie.

At the moment, I am going to forgo any iconography. One idea I may try in the future as a nod to the halved skull is to paint trophy skulls with the halved scheme as though the warrior did afterwards.

*Goose what's with your signature? GW up to no good against you?

Thanks guys, I'll work on it tomorrow.

hushrong:

*gets back from checking*

Enough!!

I have put up with this for too long in one day GW have managed to destroy what little goodwill I had left, I will stand for this no longer this is my hobby and I will not be forced out of it by lunatic price increases in a recession I cannot justify spending what GW intend to ask and look my wife in the eye because these price increases will be mirrored in the UK don't delude yourself into thinking it wont as thats not GW style!!

As to the madness that is the decision to force a monopoly on a monopoly words fail me. I cannot adequetly describe my outrage at punishing customers for where they live!

And the final straw..

I had to visit a GW store (not my local) recently I had taken two steps into the store when I was pounced on by a staffer asking If I wanted Tomb King I replied No I play DA and BA to which he asked If I wanted some GK to use as alies I replied No as that was no longer the case in the rules fair enough dealt with or so I thought at this point infront of a store full of people he basically accused me of being an Idiot as of course you can put GK in DA and BA lists thats how the army works as they are not a 'full' army and need another list. What happened next I'm proud of I didn't loose it despite the voices urging me to do bad things! but asked to see the manager. This is not an isolated occurence I'm seeing it more and more and it stinks.

there is a stench of Elitism building in GW and its going to destroy them and therefor us.

This has to change! We as a Community need to act before its to late and there is no community.

My name is Ash I am a Gamer and I will act.

At every Opportunity I am given I will make my feelings known to GW by letter, by email, in pearson whatever it takes they will take notice of me if it takes a Day a Month or a Year.

who's with me?

I whipped this up in Photoshop, using an existing Malal skull image I found online.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/cessna182/MalalSkullSmall.jpg

I've made it into a small decal I can use as a painting template; I'll try it on a few test shoulder-pads and see how it looks.

My two favorite versions of the skulls are the following two.

From here on B&C under the banner avatars...

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc496/Mr_Malevolent/Sons%20of%20Malice%205th%20Company/sons_of_malice_banner_2.jpg

And of course the design that was used for Malal which is awesome and Im going to attempt to recreate this on my Comapny shoulder pads...

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc496/Mr_Malevolent/Sons%20of%20Malice%205th%20Company/Malal-symbol.gif

Archived