NL's 8th [upd: 22.8.2014]

DarkVen

Being lost in the warp will change the perspectives and minds of those weak minded and without purpose. We have been adrift, not entirely of our own negligence, or luck but as a conscious choice. What could be called "indecision". The Few, scant times we emerge enough to gather a clearer picture, or sacrifice the few precious psykers and scriers we have left has left us jaded and melancholy. Times are not as they were. Agendas, emotions and the feelings of others have tarnished our leadership. A ritual cleansing of blood will leave us no better. We cannot afford mistakes. Culling the dissidents will leave us weak and divided. The 18th has not gained glory, or collected trophies long enough that it erodes our framework, and our morale.

We defer to you. 8th Grand company. The mantle has passed. You have taken the burden of our curse and turned it into fortune. You have thrived with it. Spit in the face of the false emperor and defamed him not from slogans or propaganda, but by merely existing.

Your stuff is bonkers. I wish we didn't live on opposite corners of the planet. Please don't stop. Never let this army go.

and...

I'm coming for you...

I, Vengord Renard XII "The Dark", accept the duties imposed on me. I swear with honor and pride to follow the precepts of the 8th Legion. To keep the memory of heroes of the past and proceed with the deeds of the Night Haunter. Fear be my arms, darkness be my armor. May the banner of the 8th company flutter in the flames of war and in the shadows of night, now and forever!

Ave dominus nox!

No, but seriously - I'm just a random guy on the internet, man. I'll try do my bests. I'm really pleased.

noctus cornix

Thanks smile.png but why 'former'?

Wait... I... what?!

This is the height of awesome. I can think of no better successor to Dan and his great work than you, Ven.

Your most recently finished squad is a testament to this.

Wow first of all thank you for putting me on to dans work... and then he passes the mantel on to you thats a huge compliment.

I really like your dark dark blue its what I was hopeing for with my Night Lords but I dont have the same skill level cry.gif

Can I steal the stubby melta idea for the 21st's armoury?

Right I'm off to carry on being the ham fisted country bumkin cousin of the mighty 8th Grand company.

Edit: corrected bad grammer

Thanks for the kind words and replies guys!

Punk possum

Well I can tell you 'light' version of my painting-scheme for blue: abaddon black, ab.black+regal blue (or 2 ab.black+1 kantor blue) leaving previous layer visible, regal blue (or ab.black+ kantor blue) again leaving previous layer visible, kantor blue, highlight with enchanted blue (don't know the equivalent), extreme highlight with ice blue (don't know the equivalent). Requires only a bit of practice with consistent blending of first three layers, but even just layering is fine. Oh, and time sweat.gif

Yes, sure you can!

8th Company is not really mighty msn-wink.gif it's just an incomplete army of a lazy person. But disregarding that, I really appreciate your kind comment.

Something of my thoughts:

Although I'm satisfied with overall result, I still see some defects and imperfection (like Butch's helmet - without horns it looks bare). Also when I was painting them I seriously contemplated that I can do way much better. Metal, gold, bones, red parts aren't perfect. I'd like to paint as good as I can (even 'eavy metal level. Someday. Maybe. Unlikely, but maybe), but it requires lots and lots of time... and lots and lots of passion that I not yet possess. Though the main restricting factor yet is that I agreed with my friend to play a big campaign this summer, so I need to paint as many units as I can before July - that means 'as fast as I can'. Not so contributing to the quality, isn't it? Oh well... though I'll try get best of me with next Daemon Prince and with two main characters.

As for the fluff - everything I wrote here earlier is invalid sweat.gif except for the number, 'nickname' and strict organization. 8th will be heavily personalized, as I haven't read almost anything from Black Library series and know only about the most common things like red gloves or terminator-atramentar. So I will design 8th almost from scratch, using Index Astartes, Lexicanum and Codexes as my threshold - so any commentary and criticism will be much appreciated.

And as for now, I want to ask you guys about the so-called planet of the night (am I right? ermm.gif ) in the Eye of Terror, the present home-world of the VIII Legion. What do you know about it?

Hi Ven!

I wanted you to know that the entire reason I joined the B&C was to check out your beautiful nightlord thread. I actually went through the entire thing front to back. It is really neat to see how your (already impressive) painting skills have improved over the course of a couple years. It's really an inspiration to me, since I have the same difficult time painting in a timely fashion. I hope you stay motivated and enjoying the hobby for years yet!

As to the nightlord's homeworld, do you mean Nostromo? After Curze left to lead his legion, the planet began to backslide into crime and depravity (like whenever Batman takes a vacation from Gotham). As only the strongest of a planet's populace are taken as space marine recruits, this basically ment anyone who could murder his way to the top of the criminal dogpile.  The new recruits of the legion were becoming more debased and less reliable. When the Haunter returned, he was disgusted by what his planet had become, and destroyed it with an orbital strike targeted at the hole in the planet's crust he made when he fell there as an infant primarch. Or did you mean, Tsagualsa, the place where Curze was assassinated?

As of right now, I do not believe that the nightlords as a legion have a world in the eye of terror that they use as a "homebase."  After the death of Curze, the legion broke apart into different warbands of varying size as Astartes rallied behind thier own choice of leader. Now they operate something similar to the Red Corsairs in a piratical fashion.

Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about. When I got into the hobby waaaaaay back, I really imersed myself in the fluff, especially the nightlords'.

VIIILegionaire

I've already written the recipe in the post previous to your.

Flint13

I'm glad to hear it!

No, I thought there was some kind of 'hq-base' in the Eye of Terror at the present. And well I've already spoken to few members here and it appears VIII don't have any. So I think I'm going invent one for my company smile.png [and maybe everyone who would join it. A place were NLs could meet each other, drink a cup of coffee and tell the tales of the past.]

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen! smile.png

I apologize for being off for a few days, the progress goes not as fast as I anticipated. Oh well. Yet not so 'huge' update. Just finished another Rhino Transport for my guys. It's weapons still need to be completed, but the main part of work is done. Here it is:

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/24/rhino2wip1.jpghttp://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9854/rhino2wip2.jpg

Still need to finish my renegades, so I'll start paint it tomorrow, I guess. I hope you like it.

Cheers,

DV

And AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen! smile.png

Renegades! Just finished these guys few minutes ago. Did not believe they will look good 'til I painted inner parts of coats, lol. I like how they turned out: everyone looks unique, has some kind of personal things and/or equipment, and at the same time they look like a single unit.

In term of background they are group of hard-boiled 'pirates/mercenaries', which was captured and offered to join 8th or to die. I will write additional fluff as soon as I can.

But, without further ado - to the photos:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9407/renegades1.jpg

Champ, Konrad Reznik:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/827/renegades1champ.jpg

Flamer:

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5122/renegades1flamer1.jpg

And other chaps:

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2080/renegades11.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/199/renegades12.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8633/renegades13.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2971/renegades14.jpg

My personal favorite among them is the guy with a pack of playing cards and a cigar on his helmet (on the last pic).

I really hope they will pay me for all of the time and effort I put in them biggrin.png

Hope you like them!

Cheers,

DV

Thanks for the comments guys smile.png I'm really glad that you like my work. Though I know I'm always one step behind of 'the best of me' *sigh*.

Today I'll try to photograph the painted part of my army and lay out first fluff-text.

Stay tuned,

DV

and AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen! smile.png

I'm glad to report that after almost 2 long years the amount of finished miniatures in my army finally did hit 1000-pts mark! laugh.png

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2742/army14413.jpg

Although this 'force' is assembled with almost random units and can stand no chance against any but the weakest opponent, I can now play 1000-limited games without unpainted minis and call it an 'army'. Here is corresponding army list:

HQ:

Chaos Lord (c-melta; power weapon; sigil of corruption; tda; veteran) - 142 pts

Troops:
CSM (10; +ccw; 2 meltas; power fist; veterans) - 213 pts
Rhino - 35 pts
CSM (10; +ccw; 2 meltas; power fist; c-melta; veterans) - 223 pts
CSM (10; +ccw; 2 plasmas; c-plasma; veterans) - 208 pts
Renegades (autoguns; flamer; shotgun) - 65 pts

Fast Attack:
Raptors (2 meltas) - 115 pts

Total: 1001 point.

And, as I've already promised many times, here's some fluff (short story, more likely) for the 8th company:

Enferum. The world of eternal night. Grounds of darkness. Land of nightmares. Here spears of white lighting pierce the black sky, the fierce winds howl in heights. Thick tar-like rain crashes loudly against the concrete. Giant shadows – the shadows of residential complexes, dying and rising on their own bones – stretch their claws away from ground. The only thing that seems to be living, deep down in the sewers, is a jet of cooling fluid flowing into the mainstream of slop. The tiny rippling brook that even can satiate one's thirst...

A blurry haze floats through the water. A short cry, a crunch. The stream colored scarlet.

"Shadan", – hunter washed his gloves in the cool liquid.

"Yes?"

"Woman, plump. Man, skinny. Child, but it's still alive."

"How old?"

Hunter looked over his shoulder. A tiny lump of flesh whimpered clinging to its mother, whose head was bent at an unnatural angle. "Four years."

"Leave it. Bring only the corpses."

"Will be done."

He tore the child from his mother's carcass, the hunter hoisted the dead bodies on his shoulders and disappeared in the depths of the slums.

They had arrived on Enferum two weeks ago. At least, that is what his armor system said – while here in the Eye of Terror, time obeys its own laws, and a day could last a moment in the real world, and a century – just a second... two weeks ago they came here, on the planet of eternal night. After humiliating defeat of the entire company... two weeks not devouring anything better than human flesh, two weeks sitting knee-deep in mud and waiting for the orders... waiting for any sign or message – from the captain, from the warlock, from the apothecary... Warp, from any damn one!

Kond – their current leader – stands at the exit to the surface. His ancient terminator armor gleams in the dim light like a vast sapphire; sight sensors directed into the darkness.

Suddenly howling engines are heard. Hunter raises his head – in darkness are leaping purple lights. After a few moments, five flaming marines burst in into the hall. Like a demonic creatures they pass over their heads, cling to ground with clawed feet and stand up at their full height.

"You accepted our proposal", – Kond retains absolute calmness.

One of the beasts stepped forward.

"We are ready to help... at everything... if you will support us..."

A short pause.

"Support?"

"Well... our hunt..."

Kond just snorted in response. That was enough. Raptors climbed up to the ceiling waited for orders. Hunter continued his meal…

The slums over their heads were beset by some kind of daemonic creatures. In many ways they repeated the tactics of Night Lords: move only under the cover of shadows, torment helpless victims until they brake like brittle glass. The difference between the two was that the creatures were much faster and more agile, and their black claws could cut the power armor and get to flesh in a few swings.

But only one could lord over the night. They'd needed time to prepare, but now they were ready. Today they would recapture their right to rule. Or croak. Now, one is not better than the other...

"Forward", – Burax' voice tore into the silence.

The hunter could not resist – his dissected face twisted with curl of the lips. He rose to his feet – like all the other astartes at the hall – and took up arms, ready for war.

And never before in his life the bolter handle did lie so easy in his hand.

Shadan – a form of respectful treatment to the eldest in the 8th company. Analogue to english "sir".

Burax (anc.nostr. 'phuros' - purifiers) – name of one of the phratries (clans, brotherhoods) in the 8th company. In fact, all members of Burax are former Atramentar, owners of tactical dreadnought armor.

Gratitude to Tanith Ghost who corrected all of my mistakes smile.png

Stay tuned,

DV

Battle-Brother Ludovic

Many thanks, I'm embarassed blush.png still, I have lots to 'conquer'.

On the line are: another Rhino, auto-havocs, raptor-DP, terminators...

Stay tuned!

DV

They look good altogether mate. Renegades are amazing, although I think they are a bit too badass to be cultists. tongue.png One idea, what about making a renegade commander of some sort? That way if you wanted you could use them as an IG vet squad if you wanted.

They look good altogether mate. Renegades are amazing, although I think they are a bit too badass to be cultists. tongue.png One idea, what about making a renegade commander of some sort? That way if you wanted you could use them as an IG vet squad if you wanted.

Thats an excellent idea, in no small part because it'd mean you'd get to make an even more awesome heretic!

Yeah, they look too 'professional' for regular cultists - and it was my goal, actually, to make them look like guardsmen veterans. I like that I have achieved it smile.png

That's a good idea about a leader! The only restriction for me is my plan - everything what I got stand in a straight line for assembling, converting and painting until the end of August laugh.png also, the leader is actually Reznik, and if he earns the right to be promoted, I definitely will upgrade him. So it'll take quite a bit of time.

But don't be worried smile.png I promise that soon I will introduce to you something very special, even considering all of my previous works...

Stay tuned,

DV

I promise that soon I will introduce to you something very special, even considering all of my previous works...

Stay tuned,

DV

Now I cant wait to see what this very special thing is, dont keep us in suspense too long please! 

Flint13

I'm glad to hear it!

No, I thought there was some kind of 'hq-base' in the Eye of Terror at the present. And well I've already spoken to few members here and it appears VIII don't have any. So I think I'm going invent one for my company smile.png [and maybe everyone who would join it. A place were NLs could meet each other, drink a cup of coffee and tell the tales of the past.]

That makes sense. Even galaxy-reaving pirates need a place to rearm, reequip and chill out every now and again.

My company would be up for that. Maybe not coffee though... more like the blood of Imperial children! devil.gif

• 2 weeks later...

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen! smile.png

Sorry for not posting for almost 2 weeks. My exams are approaching, so I will have even less and less time for myself.

But anyway, I'm planning on adding another 1k pts (998, more precisely) before May 24th. That includes only 4 units: autocannon havocs, daemon prince, obliterators and terminators. And here goes the first of them: autocannon havocs.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4498/havocs1wip2.jpg

Champion:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4773/havocchampion1wip2.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/194/havoc1wip3.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9682/havoc2wip2.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2199/havoc3wip2.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1192/havoc4wip2.jpg

I think they'll be the last guys in the 8th with 'loyal'-style backpacks. Those of them who will show something extraordinary on the battlefield will be promoted to one of my oblits tongue.png

Hope you like them. Please leave your comments and criticism.

DV

Archived