Lord of the Maelstrom - A Red Corsairs WIP Blog

Styrofoam04

So I made a really bad video where you can see the transition of the shadow to highlight. I find that when taking pictures my red looks very flat, but in RL I have 3 airbrushed layers. The shadow is a mix of black/red, to bloody red/gorey red up to pure bloody red. Reciently I have been edge highlighting to try to make the colour pop. I used a mix of 3:1:1 firey orange/bloody red/skull white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VEWwH2onVk

Too funny and thanks. Its exactly how I feel. I spend years painting theses guys and none of my photos show that work. It looks like I gave them a basecoat and left them. wallbash.gif

It makes me wonder what these cmon artists do to make them soo "real"

It makes me wonder what these cmon artists do to make them soo "real"

I guess where You go for realism, some go for "realistically cartoonish". Case in point: the borderlands games. They were supposed to look realistic until half way through the development of the first part, at which point the graphics were overhauled by replacing all cg generated model textures with hand drawn ones- hence producing the visuals. Which is what i think sometimes happens, when painting a mini- they don't get more realistic per se, only producing a facade of something we consider realistic. So sometimes a scale model car will be so realistically made it can fool the eye, but that doesn't happen with those minis- essentially they become inferior simulacra at such times.

That video shows the colour depth off much better. thumbsup.gif I say keep at it as they look fantastic, don't give up on the realistic approach. I think part of the problem is that the effects are subtle, as they should be. They are shown off much better on your larger models. Your Rhinos are fantastic, but the Marines are quite a small canvas to work on.

I'm not a great painter so I'm not sure what to advise beyond keep it up. Maybe look at adding a bit of weathering to the marines. Looking at your Rhinos you're more than capable. And work on the bases, but I'm guessing you're looking to them all at the same time.

Keep up the good work. For the Tyrant!

Edit: Looking back at your wolfguard I'd say the flash isn't helping any. The last picture on the left looks alot better, colour depth wise, than the others as there is less flash.

Thanks Preacher No'ki, your advise helps. I aways avoid using the flash. these shots were done with my phone. but even if you go waay back the red looks flat in all my photos.

I pretty much have two Threee choices:

• keep it up and leave it subtle. (But my brothers on B&C can't see the full effect)
  • learn to paint extreme so the photos look like what I see
  • or take videos

• 4 weeks later...

So i did the battle damage on the black and I have some pics.

Enjoy!

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/20140222_models_0335_zpsfd4ecbf3.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/20140222_models_0336_zpsdb4ff178.jpg

that rhino is pretty cool nice job sir thumbsup.gif have you thought about trying some of the battledamage you did there on some of your troops ,personally i think it would make them match the rhino more

and very nice job on the power blades

Thanks guys, i still have alot to do for the rhino, I have to do the Storm bolter turret and maybe some small details then it should be done.

@daemonclaw, I have thought about it. but I am nervious to do it. This was my first attempt at it and so far Im enjoying it. Maybe after 5 more tanks I'll try it on marines

• 5 months later...

So, I'm really trying to get back in the hobby. I've constantly have ideas, but i never get around to them. Everyone who's read my thread knows I have a motivation problem. So moving on, I'd like to put out some of those ideas

I'm thinking of taking my Dark Vengence Chosen and painting them using the old Astral Claws pattern.  (The orange and stripes, not the silver and blue.) I'm not sure it will work. The DV chosen are really cool models with alot of detail. So I have the perfect orange but I'm worried it will be overwhelmed by all the chaos detail. Thats not the major hurdle, the major hurdle would be fluff... why whould they keep their colours? It states everywhere that they abandon their colour for Blood red ... So stuck ... prolly dead end.

Next idea is finally doing a renegade unit. A squad called "the Oathbreakers" new recruits that left their chapters to worship Huron. This one might help my slump. 10 marines, 10 different chapters, should mix things up a bit. They would be regular marines, nothing fancy except for the red "X"

So as for chapters does any one have any requests?

Gah, I wanted to suggest a really old and obscure Chapter but I'm stuck between an Iron Champion or a Yellow Jacket.

So seeing as I can't decide, I'll let you choose Styrofoam, either way I look forward to see the Oathbreakers in all their glory once you're done with them. smile.png

Marine Malevolent.

In battered Mk VI plate, of course. biggrin.png

Always a popular choice around here brother. msn-wink.gif

"Oatbreakers" Squad so far

Ultramarine

White Scar

Marine Malevolent

Iron Champion or  Yellow Jacket.

On a side note. I been talking to someone on another forum. who is doing Astral Claws and Tiger Claws. He suggested that the Orange Astral Claws could be in transition to RCs. Which gave me an Idea. What if they were lost In the Maelstrom like the SW 13 company thingy. They were lost in the warp before the fall of Badab and recient found. They would be twisted and very corrupted by chaos. Which would explain DV Chosen Models with so much chaos taint.
That could work with my fluff right?

I could totally see a Tiger Claw group totally corrupted, could be a lot of fun.

Oh, and because I'm a jerk, I'd suggest a Celebrant as well. Just to make your eyelid twitch.  :P

Archived