6JuMR5f.png

Solid progress, but looks aren't everything quite yet. Still fine tuning Servitor Solus to work out the last few kinks; I've got the focus now I need to get the exposure correct.

While these parts are almost there, I've discovered an issue with the precision that will need some tweaking to fix. The parts are very close but some details are off by 0.1mm to 0.2mm in some places and while it's not very much it's causing some issues with the fit for some of the components. it seems to be an exposure issue common to new projectors so I'm confident I'm on the right track to sorting it out.

I'll be back in a bit to ramble more, reply to some comments, and show some more images, but right now I've got some tinkering to do and I think I might need to make my own quick 3D model to test some fit tolerances.

*Subtle wanders off to make more stuff*

P.S. Time to start tossing your model and kits ideas out into the open if you happen to have any. 

36eDmy6.png

Some jerk-ass on the internet made this and I hate him for it because I want to buy it now, so I think you should start producing and selling this to spite him.

Thanks all for the input, encouragement, and gentle prodding. You've given me some food for thought and some things that I want to comment on more in depth, but I'm a wee bit distracted right now, as I'm sure you can understand. I was a bit presumptuous when I thought I had Servitor Solus sorted out. While I'm getting great results with regards to the details and surface quality (that's what had me fooled) there's still a bit of distortion that's causing some final fit issues.

Gs0c3SG.png

Al... most... there! The quality sure has come a long way since the first print; it's easy to see how the right settings and adjustments to Solus have made all the difference.

Physical Setup? Check.

Focus? Check.

Exposure? Check.

Build Tension? Check.

Lift speed? Check.

Surface quality? Check.

Detail precision? Check.

Edge definition? Check.

Round rivets? Check.

Small-scale geometry? Check.

Large-scale geometry? :censored: Workin' on it...

All of the results have been so good looking that I know that once I get this last bit figured out I'll be laughing (maniacally!) and off to the races. This little Servitor is going to be running non-stop for weeks I suspect. It's not fast, but it's simply amazing to see a cluster of objects slowly rise from the goo; UV light and goo! Science is :censored: awesome.

So yeah, the last issue I'm having is with larger objects being slightly geometrically incorrect. On smaller items it's so slight it doesn't really matter but on larger objects it's enough to cause problems. The biggest problem is with getting round objects true (think vehicle cupola rings/hatches) and completely, well... round. Again, they're only out by a small margin (hardly visible to the eye, really) but it's out too much to get the proper fit and function of the round items I'll be making. The good news is Solus is used extensively by jewelers to print rings for casting so I know that this is an issue that comes up and can be solved. I've seen much worse warping on rings shown by people having a much harder time than me so I'm confident I'll get this sorted in short order... I hope.

Again, the quality of the parts I've made has me completely convinced (just look at that Bolter) that the final results I'll be getting will be worth the effort, but I'll admit it's not the easiest learning curve to climb. I'm pretty sure I can see the summit, but it's going to take one last push to get there. I can't wait to show something assembled; so many nice parts that just won't quite fit together correctly! Can't have that!

*Subtle gets back to tinkering and testing*

Amazing. Simply amazing. You can actually see the improvements with each test quite clearly. I think I need to start buying your work, as I've always been interested, and now with this at your disposal, I feel motivated to help fund continued work.

As for a recommendation of product... What about Renegade Knight upgrades or trim?

This is looking super impressive. The level of passion and commitment to quality here is commendable, and I’d even say unparalleled among other 3rd party bits producers. It’d be an understatement to say I’m excited to see where this takes you.

As for suggestions...posable leg kits for the plastic dreadnoughts (contemptor and castaferrum variety) would be cool, something that not many other companies produce.

Once you get that worked out, you will have a very exciting set of possibilities when it comes to getting new parts out there pronto. Looks awesome.

You think once you're up and running, you might perhaps take some commission work? I have some ideas that I'm poor at translating into Fusion360 ( which I really should just buckle down and learn properly instead but you know.. )

This is looking super impressive. The level of passion and commitment to quality here is commendable, and I’d even say unparalleled among other 3rd party bits producers. It’d be an understatement to say I’m excited to see where this takes you.

As for suggestions...posable leg kits for the plastic dreadnoughts (contemptor and castaferrum variety) would be cool, something that not many other companies produce.

That would be great. I've done a running dreadnaught and it was a massive pain. 

That would be great. I've done a running dreadnaught and it was a massive pain. 

i dont think i can stress this enough XD

Could just do a completely unique redesign that can be posed. There's a guy with a shop on eBay (forget the name... Blood & Skulls Industries?) who has done just that, though they're rather pricy.

I bet Subtle Discord's would look better, however, should he decide to do it.

*Drive-by input!*

I like the consideration of being careful with regards to IP. As long as I'm not trying to make a 1-for-1 carbon copy of something and call it my own I'm reasonably confident it what I can produce. Some of the things I've seen some people making are completely over-the-line and just begging for a C&D letter. You must realistically evolve, change, alter, and/or otherwise take a unique take on something to call it original. It can bolt directly on to another kit and be designed that way from the get-go, but it needs to be a unique design and not a deliberate knockoff.

I don't want to make copies of what's already out there, I want to take what's out there as inspiration and build on that both literally (add-on conversion kits) and figuratively (kits/models inspired by and intended to compliment something already in existence).

Keep talking, it's already got my gears turning. Would a tri-legged dreadnaught conversion kit be unique enough do you think? :wink:

A small figure slipped into the Forge via a side door and scuttled to the work bench, head bowed in supplication. "Master," it whined, "a personage came by on a parlay. He brought fragments from what he claimed was an STC. Variants for the Rhino..."

Images were placed on a corner of the bench, before the figure ran for the door.

Sooo, what I would like to see would be kits for the Rhino - namely something like the M579 fitter/repair vehicle and the M806 recovery vehicle (M113 variants!). I think that vehicles like these should exist in 40k somewhere, and it'd be cool to see your take on them. Of course, they won't have rules as such, but I imagine we could come up with something in the Homegrown Rules forum.

I envision the M579 variant to be akin to a mobile Techmarine's workshop, here are a couple pics for possible inspiration:

M579_1.jpg
M579_2.jpg

I figure the M806 would be similar to the old Atlas recovery tank, here are a few pics:
M806_1.jpg
M806_2.jpg
M806_3.jpg
M806_4.jpg
M806_5.jpg
M806_6.jpg

They obviously don't have to match these variants exactly, after all the Rhino isn't exactly an M113.

Come now, I am a reasonable and benevolent Fabricator General who welcomes input from those willing to offer it, no need to fear my rath unless you've given me the purpose to take such action; this does not extend to the dark minions and servitors that I employ to enact my will, I would advise caution around them, some are known to be a bit... unpredictable at times.

Thank you for the images! Pictures, thousand words, all that jazz. YES, a 'recovery vehicle' and/or the components to turn a Rhino are an idea that I really want to give a try at; it started as a conversion project that's been gathering dust for years, but now I can see a completely new life with the bits I'll be able to produce. As mentioned, you know they're out there but they're not key to the combat that the game revolves around so they're not seen.

I really want to do some Sisters stuff because I know there's demand, but I'm also tentative because they're actually on deck now for a revamp. Hover vehicles, in general, seem to be back on the table (literally and figuratively) with recent additions to the GW line. I suspect Atrum Laboris could easily repurpose some experiments they've done over the centuries into something useful for more than one chassis.

Note to self: 'Crotch Cannon' idea may have more appeal than first thought. *adds notes to book* Side note: Check trademark/copyright status of 'crotch cannon'. :)

Ok, adjustments have been made and some calibration prints turned out quite good. Now I'm just tweaking some 3D models to adjust some tolerances before trying the Pintel Weapon components again. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Subtle Discord

Note to self: Small, medium, and large-scale concepts of ideas are a good idea. Where applicable consider a SuperSize! option.

As someone who likes modularity and trying to figure out ways to get ideas and kits doing double duty as much as possible, my brain envisions the idea like this. Do a smaller crane that can work on the Rhino or Chimera chassis; each will need a unique mounting plate to attach the crane to the chassis, but the crane itself can be the same if I do it right. To extend the idea to the Baneblade chassis I would consider two variants with one that uses two of the smaller cranes on the chassis, and another that's a single large Super Heavy crane. Ooo... I'm liking this idea more-and-more. *scribbles more notes into his book-o-ideas.*

Note to self: Small, medium, and large-scale concepts of ideas are a good idea. Where applicable consider a SuperSize! option.

As someone who likes modularity and trying to figure out ways to get ideas and kits doing double duty as much as possible, my brain envisions the idea like this. Do a smaller crane that can work on the Rhino or Chimera chassis; each will need a unique mounting plate to attach the crane to the chassis, but the crane itself can be the same if I do it right. To extend the idea to the Baneblade chassis I would consider two variants with one that uses two of the smaller cranes on the chassis, and another that's a single large Super Heavy crane. Ooo... I'm liking this idea more-and-more. *scribbles more notes into his book-o-ideas.*

gubbinz the word you are looking for is gubbinz :D lots and lots of luverly greebly doodads and bits to stick to tanks to make them into a recovery vehicle no mater what size or imp faction.