...have some offerings that will appeal to 30k players who want things to represent early traitorous factions.

The foundation is down, now to start raising the building. The first round of moulds are finishing up as I get another round ready to go, so I should have some first casts to show in the next day or two. Stay tuned...

Dibs on calling for Emperor's Children first! Dibs, dibs, dibsy mcdibs dibs!

Don't worry, one of my first motivations is to start to explore how I'll produce designs that have more elegant, flowing, and delicate detailing suited for armies that want to convey that esthetic; it's a perfect place where I hope the kits will have a broad appeal to several factions. I've got a good design language when I want to make something with strong lines and heavy deliberate detailing that was a good starting point, but it was always limited by the methods I could use to create models up to this point; I'm good at scratch building but it favors straight lines and simple curves and now those shackles have been completely removed. I can't wait to start exploring all sorts of things I could never do by hand and i'm positive you'll like the results. :wink:

Don't worry, one of my first motivations is to start to explore how I'll produce designs that have more elegant, flowing, and delicate detailing suited for armies that want to convey that esthetic; it's a perfect place where I hope the kits will have a broad appeal to several factions. I've got a good design language when I want to make something with strong lines and heavy deliberate detailing that was a good starting point, but it was always limited by the methods I could use to create models up to this point; I'm good at scratch building but it favors straight lines and simple curves and now those shackles have been completely removed. I can't wait to start exploring all sorts of things I could never do by hand and i'm positive you'll like the results. :wink:

I've got tons of EC/Slaaneshi art saved that's not just anime and boobs whenever you wanna seem some real Slaaneshi grimdark inspiration. 

: Edit : I ran out of likes.

Edited by The Nephilim

Please, send them my way in a PM. I've got a large selection inspiration images and I'm always looking for more.

In fact, let this be a call in general for inspirational images from anyone, send them my way. If it's one or two that illustrates an idea, add them to the thread, if it's a larger selection send them via PM. I can't promise a direct reply each time or guarantee following up on every idea with a concept, but it all really does get added to the notes, images, ideas, and other musings rolling around in my brain.

As always with requests such as this, I'm looking for inspiration and design cues to consider, not examples that someone might want an absolute copy of. I want to do my take on concepts and ideas, not replicate someone else's work with a few tweaks. But, there's so much great inspirational content out there that I just don't have time to research right now, so I'm happy to get the input.

Edited by Subtle Discord

This guy on Etsy has some great knight replacement parts at very reasonable prices IMO, though he seems to be perpetually sold out:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TaroModelmaker?ref=l2-shopheader-name

il_570xN.1520556969_2mhv.jpg?version=1

Obvious appeal with products such as these. Popular kits to begin with, so high quality customizable parts seem a no-brainer.

Mmmm... choppy. Nice.

I want to do more conventional style weapons like this for the Knight, but I think I might have a few unique ideas as well. I was dabbling with how I was going to treat the arms of my Kytan a few months back but put it on hold to concentrate on more pressing things. I think people will like what I'm coming up with, but I digress...

Something just occurred to me... Whilst the pistol arm is cool as all get-out, there's a part of me that's kind of sad you gave the hard-wired pilot something else to do. I like the idea of them as a slave with just one job, and I'm concerned that the added shooty ability will go to his head. The Adeptus Mechanicus has done an excellent job of keeping him in his place, and here you go putting lofty ideas into his mind. You truly are an agent of darkness. 

Unsanctioned experimentation, alteration, and innovation, of a sacred Standard Template Construct? If heeding the Omnissiah’s inspiration is blasphemy, then, guilty as charged. I didn’t provide the biological locomotion enactment components with the arms, I merely recognized an opportunity to increase the combat effectiveness of the construct and seized upon it to devise a superior solution better suited its battlefield role. What useful purpose could a pair of tiny arms with diminutive clamps really serve such a glorious war-engine of the machine god? Additionally, who’s to say that the pilot doesn’t ultimately control how the weapons are used? :wink:

nUquSRt.png

Oooo... the very first casts are up! Mmmm... polyurethane resin. *Subtle rubs his hands together expectantly*

I'm still making moulds so I can't do a proper casting run yet, but I had to get a few done to see how they're turning out. Everything is looking as good as I could have hoped for. Now let's see how all the parts come together, shall we?

Additionally, who’s to say that the pilot doesn’t ultimately control how the weapons are used? ;)

Well, I'm not sure that simply kicking Stumpy there in the melon necessarily counts as control... unless that code was one kick for "Not now, stupid..." and two kicks for "Yes, fire, damn you!" :devil:

The casts look fantastic!!!

Please, I beg of you, make some smaller sized pistols for non-marine figures. Plasma, bolt, las, auto, etc. 

Oh, and the Necromunda pattern lasgun, if you could get away with it. 

39ouSpu.jpg?1

And anything else to make that drawing a reality. 

Thanks all! Yep, I'm happy with the results, to say the least. I keep inspecting the parts under magnification and noticing the odd little thing and I get a bit frustrated that it's not utterly perfect. Then I look at it from any other realistic range and it becomes seamless and all but perfect. Yeah, I'm a perfectionist and I'll admit that it's not literally perfect, but by any reasonable standard, it is. Definitely a case of the artist being their worst critic, but I suspect my customers won't mind.

Moulds for the Loyalist components are finishing up overnight and when they get done I'm doing a casting run to get what I can on the shelf, so both Mk.1 and 2 should be available in a few more days; I also need to get the Flamer and Plasma bits done and they'll be easy, but will just take the few days it'll take and then I'll catch them up to the rest of the kits. I'm still contemplating how I want to package them, if I should provide all the weapons with extra magnets, or just a Bolter with the buyers choice of a second weapon plus magnets.

Counts-as Havoc Launchers will follow, and then I'm torn between doing the Tracks, Siege Ram, or Light/Spaced Armour for the Rhino/Predator Chassis. All will get done, but I'm torn on what to do first. But that's a good problem to have.

Please, I beg of you, make some smaller sized pistols for non-marine figures. Plasma, bolt, las, auto, etc. 

Oh, and the Necromunda pattern lasgun, if you could get away with it. 

39ouSpu.jpg?1

And anything else to make that drawing a reality. 

Umm... Yes!?!  See, this is what I'm talking about, I don't have the time very often to go out and find great images like this. I agree, this is spot on; the helmet, armour, gloves, coat, weapon, pack, and all the details, just enough embellishment without going too far. Is it official GW art? I'm guessing yes. I like it so much it's tempting to borrow heavily from it but I don't think I'd want to outright copy it. Hummm... you might just be in luck, I'll explain...

I've got this idea bubbling in the back of my brain that I just can't get out of my head. I want to finish the stating block of AdMech that I'm currently working on but I suspect that this will come directly after. I'm going to build a Micro-Ordinatus by using two Servohauler kits and suspending a massive weapon between them. I want it to be Mechanicus aligned, but I'm going to use the rules for the Baneblade (or variant) to represent it on the table and that opens the door perfectly for me to create a Guard formation to act as infantry support using the Militarium rules. I think this image is a perfect inspiration for the look I'd want for said support units; somewhere between a regular Guardsman and a Scion, with just a touch of AdMech and some elements that could even pass as Renegade, or at least autonomous alignment. Originally it was going to be a conversion project, but I'm starting to think I might be able to do something more with it and use it as an excuse to kill two flying mammals with one projectile. I'm not sure if it will be complete models, but damn it's becoming tempting. I'm starting to do some research into modeling soft/organic surfaces in Solidworks, so something like this gives me some excellent food for thought; several soft elements, but with enough structure that it might be a good test to try when I'm ready to experiment... hummm... I'm not sure when, but don't be surprised if/when something pops up based on this. I can't copy it directly, I susupect, but I can use it for insiration. :smile.: Thanks!

Yes, the image is a Jes Goodwin drawing for GW, and that guy is holding a Necromunda-pattern lasgun which you can tell by the angled receiver for the charge pack. I've wanted to do something to get this drawing into reality, even if it was just a few figures, which inspired my Vostroyan conversions with AdMech vanguard heads as a close compromise. I'd even contacted a few guys who made 40k bits on Shapeways and none of them had any confidence of being able to reproduce the helmet. 

I'd considered trying to convert these guys straight from the AdMech plastic kits, because the shape of the chest armor on the vanguard/rangers models is very obviously inspired by this image. The shoulder pads on most of the figures work for it, too. 

iUYv9yQ.png?1

But sculpting all those long coats is what pushed me into trying for the Vostroyan compromise. I'm glad it's inspiring you and if there's anything I can do to help with sculpting, please let me know. 

There's no 'hard' element in the image that I would have any problem modeling; the helmet would be a bit more work than the average component since it would take a few unique surfaces following the right kind of paths to get the right form. In my mind, I'm trying to figure out how to do the over-the-shoulder hose so it could remain posable. As much as I like the detail I can't figure out how to do it without it returning into the helmet, but ideally, I would want it to attach to the torso or backpack.

I think I know how I'd deal with the bottom of the coat, but the only part I'd really be nervous of would be the tight folds at the insides of the elbows and other such details. Even the three-finger glove is a great detail that actually could aid me in the modeling because it should be easier. :smile.: It wouldn't even be that hard to model certain parts 'loose' so they could be adjusted to have the motion in the hang be a bit different across a few torsos. Honestly, I need to start to learn how to do soft modeling at some point, so I can't see why this wouldn't be a good place to start. Maybe start with a simpler Flak vest and arms to practice on something more modest, and then see where that takes me.

The Skitarii really would make a great base model, you're right, but part of the reason I'd be doing it would be to get away from those in order to complement with my AdMech force while also being really distinct. I really like the proper buttoned-up look of the pictured coats as a small detail that's similar but unique. The helmet having an inserted face place is a nice change as well; perhaps the breathing apparatus could be moved off to the side and a change in eye shape would start to alter it enough while keeping enough if its inspiration.

Lot of trial-and-error to get it right, hummm... but oh yes, quite inspired. Indeed. Damn, this little corner of the internet that we call B&C really is something else, in the best possible way. Too many good ideas and not enough time, but it is time to start making them real. This is gonna' get gooood! :smile.:

Just throwing out an idea but would it be possible for you to make sponsons a'la the mkIIb land raiders? Just a random idea that popped up while wishing I didn't have to buy a whole FW kit to get it or clumsily make my own.

But you could make the sponson that fits into the door inlets on the land raider model. Then you could make a plain one, an imperial themed, and a chaos themed one. People can use the plain door that comes with the kit or buy FW ones if you leave the rear hatch open. Then modular weapons to select or swap out lascannons, those heavy flamers, and hurricane bolters, and even those vulkite guns.

And wait, there's more:

Maybe make a smaller sponson and see if it would look good for a predator.

Just throwing out an idea but would it be possible for you to make sponsons a'la the mkIIb land raiders? Just a random idea that popped up while wishing I didn't have to buy a whole FW kit to get it or clumsily make my own.

You are a bit late to the party on that one, but good to see that a lot of people are interested in that.

Mk.IIB Land Raider – This is in the thread, so it’s happening. Yes, the weapon systems will be swappable and I’ll have a selection to choose from. Yes, it will work independently as just sponsons (with a mounting plate) or with the full up-armour kit I’ll be creating, depending on how the builder prefers it. However, like the Trim Kits, the Land Raider’s size makes some parts of my current design/s too large to prototype as-is. Once I get to the Land Raider after getting some Rhino kits in production this design will be part of the collection of kits (armour, weapons, tracks, gubbins, etc.) I’ll be doing for the ‘Raider.

If you are still taking suggestions: I'd really like a trim kit that makes the Redemptor dread look more like the MkIV/Venerable dreadnought or even the Contemptor. Something similar to this.

Edited by Quixus