Mordent Hex's workshop:currently FW Knight WIP. pg11-12

Quick update before I'm off to work, and then this afternoon to Beijing for 2 days.

paints: purple + metallic

gallery_64782_8966_112374.jpg

= Metallic purple EC

gallery_64782_8966_17008.jpg

Red + Metallic less effective. add red ink though and..

gallery_64782_8966_127378.jpg

Garro and Gunny marine:

gallery_64782_8966_11072.jpg

The purple also has had a black glaze to define the metal plates and then a blue wash to make the purple pop a little more. I will be highlighting them in a lighter ton of purple but for now thats a decent base coat. i think.

So far so good. it will speed up my metallic paint jobs immensely im sure.  On its own it dries to an almost chrome color. very nice for anything you want to be shiny or keep a little luster after washing.

Update: 1 Knight WIP

Truth be told, the kit has a lot of personality. Its not hard to put together and there are plenty of bits you can add or replace with relative ease. sense i can't seem to keep my hand out of the conversion honey pot i took a swing at it. Also considering some of the finer bits on the kit were misaligned when made i had to scrap some things as they where no longer viable for use. not very pleased about that considering the cost of the model, but i can't easily replace it without it taking to much time and effort and i would convert it just the same if it was just fine.

Swivel joint at the hip. easy and required not a single magnet. yes that's a lolly pop stick. hehe the resolution on my camera changed for some unknown reason, so these picts are actually worse than if i took them with my phone.:pinch:

gallery_64782_9069_2251.jpggallery_64782_9069_780.jpg

Next: coming of the beast. I added two "claws" to the carapace. they are still WIP The big D 'Chainsword" has been upgraded to a power blade with a hormagaunt decoration piece to really make him "bling" and show everyone that a new codex doesn't make you OP. POKE THEM WITH THE POINTY END!

gallery_64782_9069_51884.jpggallery_64782_9069_49927.jpg

Im dedicating this guy to my cat, for all the butt kickings he got for get onto my work counter and swatting dads new toy robot. Cat> Knight. Me> Cat :teehee:

oh and the little people..you know who you are...

Update: Test metal work. I'm not exactly happy with it, but so far its still ok. I started painting it before its actually done being converted but that's minor at this point. The metal will get more shading and weathering and im also giving the model a primor coating by hand which is a real pain but worth it when it comes to shading this beast later.:teehee:

gallery_64782_9069_242124.jpg

small update but with a few pictures. sat down and did most of this tonight. about 3-4 hours in total.

Legs have been washed and all that jazz. Im rather pleased with them. The red i spray painted on, then clear coated it, then went back over it again with mechanicus red..or whatever its called and some red gore and then a wash of brown. The cowl also got the same treatment but with the addition of a red ink wash. I like it, other details and highlighting can go on from there. Battle damage will be picked out and detailed later so it still looks a bit sloppy.

gallery_64782_9069_127341.jpggallery_64782_9069_8523.jpggallery_64782_9069_103227.jpg

Cracked Lava and flying burning embers for reference.

gallery_64782_9069_14474.jpggallery_64782_9069_16069.jpg

and my start on it which is still very much wip. Now that i thought about it, i think i should use a blood red wash instead of red ink. I think that would work better over the white and give me a better background glow. Trim will be blacked out and painted a shiny Iron metallic a same as the carapace.

gallery_64782_9069_7301.jpg

Still workign on coming up with a house symbol and personal symbol, i may just say screw it and only do the house symbol on the shield and personal symbol on one of the knees.

C&C welcome

no, but i I may make it metallic with a red glow to it.  I've been painting so many other colors for so long it'rs really nice to return to painting red. :smile.:Edit: Im going to start over on the embers and cracked lava effect. I think i know a better way to do it.

Edited by MordentHex

yeah, its grat, just make sure to base coat with a darker metal, i base coated with Boltgun Metal, then a coat of chainmail. washed with black and sepia then coat of minthrel silver to to pick out the raised area's and brighten the metal back up. THEN i used the metallic medium to shine the whole thing up like polished metal. Finally  gave more grunge to the lower legs and another very light coat of sepia to shade and then another very deluted wash of blue wash while the sepia was still wet. the blue and sepia in the recesses poo; together making an almost black color which is much more realistic than using a hard black wash. lastly i picked out specific area's with the metallic medium to enhance the over all effect.

Sounds really hard right? But its actually very fast because its mostly just slapping on large splash's of metalic paint and then large area wash's.  I did dunk the lets in water to help with the flow of the wash's on the bottom o the legs and to pull he wash's into the area's i could not reach with my brush. worked like charm!

all that work and it will never show in my crappy pictures. Forte, yes its good, im glad i got 4 bottles of it, gw silver just got replaced :wink:

When I gt bak home to my work station I will try and mix it with a few other colors with it to give people a reference of what it looks like. maybe I can put that in the tutorial area or maybe i will just keep that here for those that actually look at my crap.

Edited by MordentHex

quick update before work. Orange and Yellow highlights stages. Deepened the red in some area's will continue to highlight and low light the area as I go. Strong contrast is needed for this kind of thing.

gallery_64782_9069_240927.jpg

Got to say I'm loving the knight brother, but I want to see some tankly goodness

You good sir bought a fellblade and then turn around and tell me it will be Blood Angels knowing mine will be WE? For shame sir, for shame! yeha I know, let me get one of these bad boys under my belt and then back to tanks. I just went to get some of those red jewels people use to put between there eyes. I'm going to use them as Eyes of Horus. hehe  I'll edit in a pic later or soemthing of my progress. It's all coming along nicely.

another update: The red is finished. Its brighter than it it really is because of the camera flash and the inks i was using.

I forgot to add the shield to the picture, but that's ok sense i need to add a custom SW emblem to it.

gallery_64782_9069_43183.jpg

Next up: Time for some Metallic trim!

Edited by MordentHex

I thought of that red lightning think too while i was doing it. nice side effect of trying this, i maybe will use that idea also later on my Titan.

Jasp...LOL! godly bromance hu? I don't think my woman would or could handle two 30k nerds in 1 house. :whistling: Her mom makes great Dumplings though.. just saying :wink:

when i get back home tomorrow I will do some more work and throw up some picts, if not definitely on Sunday.

Edited by MordentHex

A day late but here it is, not a lot of progress, but i did manage to magnetize the gun arm (not shown) and give most of the metal a very light blue wash. Its probably so light no one will be able to tell but it helps in my mind at least. Cables and wires are painted green, a few will be another color to offset all the red, yellows and blacks. maybe a blue for those cables left on the legs and body. I will be trying a green glowing effect on this model for the eyes, but after i did it, i thought of maybe changing it to yellow. we shall see. glued the other shoulder pad back into place along with other armor plates. and started on the cracked lava/lightning effect and embers on all but the top carapace. speaking of the top carapace, i filled in some very obvious mold line damage with green stuff and primed over. I hope that smooths it out for a better paint job. The eye of Horus was added to the left knee. all the Metal paint jobs are still rough on the armor plates. they need to be washed and layered probably tomorrow. This thing is really starting to look like hell has come a walking with all the fire.

Also i just realized that the rules for the Knight Lancer are in the HH3 book, hehehe..convertion time :wink:

gallery_64782_9069_153730.jpg

Im trying to think of a wolf Emblem but im drawing a blank other than a space wolf transfer i have here which i don't like at all. I may have to free hand this sucker.

C&C welcome as well as is money and bits.