Veteran Sergeant does True Scale + Blackstone Fortress

I do adore this policy (leave no model unconverted). ^.^

It's something I've decided to pick up recently and it's very reassuring to see such spectacular results. The specific detail provides an incredible amount of diversity and allows an onlooker to connect with each and every battle-brother; not an easy effect to produce.

I'm especially glad you've provided a simple method of enlarging the marines, making them closer to true-scale (it's something I'll probably use from now on, and I'm glad I found this thread just before I started the new army).

I'm eager to see what you come up with next, they seem to get better with each posted image. ^.^

• 3 months later...

Thanks FoxLGV. That's my intention, is that every model has its own personality. That they aren't just a bunch of carbon copies. I mean, some are more characterful than others, and you can't go too wild without putting them in less believable poses, but hey. I am glad you enjoyed them.

Sadly, I had to shelve the project for a while again. Just too much going on. Was doing too much traveling and then the weather was really nice all winter, and a bunch of other awful First World Problems. The project above was the start of my StormVulture, which was going to be a heavily modified Valkyrie converted to have a magnetized front end and weapons to be either a Vulture or a Stormtalon. I got about halfway through it, completing the wings/tail assembly and the weapons before I had put it away. The pilots are obviously the old 2nd Edition Landspeeder pilots who have the most epic and awesome Space Marine vehicle crew helmets ever. I actually have three sets of those guys sitting around, just because I had this delusion that I was going to complete three converted Valkyries, including a Valkyraven. ;)

• 2 months later...

I wasn't feeling too hot tonight, so I figured I'd rest up instead of going out, and work on this project again. I'd gotten the inspiration for a rather surly looking Marine (as if that's possible with a helmet on, heh) with a pair of looted Dark Eldar knives on his beltline instead of the combat knife on his back. Well, realistically I'd use just about any knife from 40K or fantasy so long as it didn't look Imperial, but that's what my bitz collection has. 

However, as a punishment for having let this project founder so long, my glue had dried up in the container. And I'm far too lazy to sit in Friday afternoon traffic to pick up some more from the closest hobby shop. Oh well.

Veteran Sergeant,

I have stalked this page a long time, you are a credit to the hobby. looking forward to more!

Agreed!

I'm getting back into PA and remembered your marine holding the pistol, bracing it with his left hand. Hunted down your thread again and found a gold mine of other ideas to pilfer! :D

That shortened flamer for one...

That shortened flamer for one...

I call it the VS-pattern assault flamer. :thumbsup:

Glad you liked it.

Okay, so I promised something new. He's still a work in progress, but I figured I'd give you an advance shot at the process.

gallery_64093_6671_72486.jpg

I wanted a 2nd Dark Eldar knife from the current models, but it turned out I didn't have one, so he got the rather vicious looking Chaos Marine knife instead. The knife on the left leg is a 3rd Ed OG DE knife.

Looking awesome, I can't say I've seen that hand before. Do you ever plan on doing terminators? I find them tricky to convert into anything unique.

Yep, it's a Grey Knight hand. As far as Terminators, yes. However, they're going to be mostly magnetized so they can be swapped between Assault and "regular". And I've been considering how I want to kit out the Terminators too. I'm not sure how that will end up affecting how I pose them, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it.

But since Terminators would be attachments for a Battle Company rather than organic to it, they're sort of on my "at some point" calendar. I already have the Terminators. They're just sitting among the sizable pile of the rest of the models I haven't gotten around to yet. I'm only at about 50 completed figures and a Battle company will have more than 110 figures in its end state, lol. This project sat for a long time when I lost motivation and extra time for it. Trying to come up with that many unique figure concepts is exhausting, both physically and mentally, because I want even the most generic of them to make people (mainly myself) think "Wow, that's pretty cool looking." 

Sadly no progress on the flyer. I moved, and then it was summer, and it was a much bigger project than I was really prepared for. It will need templates made, and exact measurements derived, etc. Goofing up a Space Marine who cost me a dollar or two is one thing. I can just pull him apart, lol. Ruining parts a Valkyrie kit is a much more expensive prospect, lol.

I ended up having to buy two more knife handles too, because mine went missing in the move. Somehow I had all the blades, but neither of my handles. The good news is, I'm reasonably motivated right now, and I have some ideas. So if I can find some time, there might be new models sooner rather than later.

Hooray. Story time.

Bogdan heard it first. With a shriek, a gunship dropped out of the thick morning haze

hanging over the battlefield. The shriek became a roar as its vectored thrust engines
kicked to life and stabilized it into a hover which drowned out his warning to the other

troopers in the entrenchment. It tilted slightly, shifting right and the twin underslung

rotary cannons spun to life, methodically stitching fire along the length of the fortification.

Bogdan threw himself to the ground and scrambled on his elbows and knees towards

the closest bunker. He was splattered with gore as the stubber gunner Yaro's torso

came apart. Dirt and pulverized rock pelted him from the opposite direction as the back
wall of the trench was chewed up by the fusillade. His vision, already limited by the

eyelets of his respirator mask, tunneled down to the salvation of the bunker's entrance,

and he barely noticed as he crawled over the shattered and pulped bodies of his

squadmates. Then, as quickly as it had come, the gunship's engines spooled up again

and it shrieked off. The cacophony had left his ears ringing, and he couldn't hear

anything except the dull scraping of his body against the ground and the heaving breaths

inside his mask.

But then he felt them. A rumbling series of soft thuds that were definitely not his heartbeat.

He rolled over onto his back, pushing himself halfway up to lean against a sandbag

which had toppled to the ground against the revetment, and saw the first of the Space

Marines vault into the trench. Their armor was a dark blue, with black arms and a black

chest plate which sported a dull silver eagle across it. A head taller than the tallest man

he'd ever known, the Space Marines were massive. And they had come out of nowhere.

Had a transport landed under the cover of the gunship? Bogdan froze, his eyes wide as

he watched them move. The closest one was coming towards him. Emblazoned across a

banner on its shoulder armor in Low Gothic scrawl was the word “Punish.” Horrifically, it

stomped down on the head of Radomir, who had been trying weakly to pull himself along

the floor of the trench, his left arm missing just above the elbow. Radomir's head

disappeared under the massive boot, and Bogdan could only see the blood and gore

which splashed out above another corpse which had mercifully blocked his view of the

carnage. But he could feel the force of the boot as it connected with the solid ground of the

trench floor.

It looked at him, and he knew he was about to die. Bogdan's mouth opened and closed

without a sound as the towering warrior moved towards him. It was only then that he spotted

the two wicked looking blades attached to its thighs. Sword sized blades that the Marine

carried as if they were just knives. Its left hand reached across its body to draw one of them

as it approached.

gallery_64093_6671_71665.png

With guttural cries which sounded muffled and far away to his damaged ears, several of his

fellows charged out of the bunker, Wenzel streaming ignited promethium at the Marines with

his flamer. However, the approaching Marine ignored the gout of fire, charging straight into

them, burying the blade into Wenzel's gut. It pierced all the way through him and Wenzel's

mouth opened up as if to scream, but instead only fountained blood. The Marine dropped the

massive bolt rifle to its side, right hand flashing down even as flames licked across its arm, to

seize the other blade, which glinted with an otherworldly sheen. It was slightly curved and of a

manufacture Bogdan had never seen before. The Marine's left arm swung around in an outward

arc, the inertia tearing Wenzel's body free of the blade, nearly bisecting him in the process and

scattering blood and entrails. The body bounced off the side of the trench, contorting

gruesomely around the massive wound as it fell to the ground. Almost simultaneously, as

another soldier's point blank las fire scored the armor on the Marine's chest, a sweeping

backhand slash with its right arm sent that soldier pirouetting to the ground, his rib cage opened

up from armpit to armpit, and arm partially severed. The right side of the Marine's torso was on

fire, and yet it seemed to pay the flames no heed. The third trooper was caught by a downward

stroke from the Marine's left blade, driving him to his knees, chest cleft to the nipple. The Marine

ducked into the bunker, and out of Bogdan's view. He was all alone.

As the kneeling trooper toppled into his lap, Bogdan recognized him as Cibor, and could feel the

man's lifeblood pumping out to soak through his trousers. A second Marine, his armor charred by

fire but no longer ablaze, looked down at him, and clomped right past to follow the first. Then a

third. His ears were still ringing, but he could feel the reports of gunfire and explosive impacts he

could only assume were the Marines firing their bolters. There were only two Marines left in the

trench. They were both on one knee, one studying some kind of picter mounted on its left arm.

Bogdan's eyes darted around. Even if he could will his limbs to move, the only weapon in reach

was Cibor's lasgun, but it was pinned underneath his body. The two Marines rose to their feet,

and walked in his direction. The first moved past him, and Bogdan's heart raced. They hadn't

noticed him. He was going to live.

The last Marine swerved only a half a step toward him, and a deep, tinny voice emerged from the

vox caster on the front of its scowling faceplate.

“Traitor scum.”

The Marine's left boot caved in Bogdan's chest, striking the right side below the plane of the heart

and lifting him up. Air was forced out of his mouth, mixed with blood in a gust of reddish froth, and

none rushed in to replace it. Bogdan slumped back down, suffocating as his lungs refused to work.

He blinked a few times, mouth agape and leaking blood. He stared numbly at the dancing flames

atop the corpse of one of his friends which had been set alight by Wenzel's flamer until his vision

began to blur, and eventually went dark.

:cool.: The plasticard is 1.5mm strips cut in multiple parts to outline the waist, and then filed down smooth. On the inside, I use a rounded xacto blade to basically abrade the inside to a more circular shape so it fits a bit better to the waist.

Anywho... I dunno. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...  :blink.:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/8/31/533070_md-.png
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/8/31/533069_md-.png
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/8/31/533068_md-.png

So I've decided to finally get started on the 1st Squad, which will be "Counts As" Sternguard. 

Metal Deathwatch bolters on them. Decided to repurpose the two-knife guy for that squad.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/9/2/533596_md-Conversion%2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Sternguard%2C%20Tall%20Scale.png

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/9/2/533597_md-Conversion%2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Sternguard%2C%20Tall%20Scale.png

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/9/2/533595_md-Conversion%2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Sternguard%2C%20Tall%20Scale.png

Actually, you mentioning the pistol reminded me I need to get to my Objective marker. Though I need to figure out where the bits I need for it are...