Veteran Sergeant does True Scale + Blackstone Fortress

Amusingly enough, I was trying to Google search the shoulder pad bits, and "Space Marine Commander Shoulder Pads" brings up one of my blog images as a search result, lol.

It's always really jarring when you see your own work pop up on a google search. Veteran Sergeant, these models are absolutely fantastic, and very inspiring to boot.  Have you ever thought about doing tutorials for some of the poses?  

Eh, I'm actually used to it. In the long, long ago days just following 9/11, I created an image of the World Trade Center (using MSPaint of all things) redesigned as a middle finger, after somebody on a car forum suggested that was how it should be rebuilt. I had no idea the thing had gone viral (back before viral was even a term). It's still a First Page Image Search result for "World Trade Center" in Google, lol.  My models actually pop up quite a bit in Google Searches, though I wonder if that's a function of Google associating them with sites/pages I've been on before, or the algorithm is actually bringing them up. My gallery images, especially on Dakkadakka, are fairly search friendly in terms of their names, tags, and associated pages.

I was more entertained that a picture of one of my models showed up for a search result that it really isn't very relevant for other than the term "Space Marine".  Anyway, that's all boring SEO talk.

I could do some turorials. A lot of the earlier models were "Let's see if this works". There have been quite a few failures too. I'm going to have to pull apart a lot of the old models when I upscale the legs.  The inability to ever consider the modeling process "finished" is why they aren't painted. I'm too concerned I'll want to make changes to them, or create some fundamental new process for the construction. Plus eventually I want to correct some of the minor flaws. When I pull apart some of the models, I can show a bit more of the process.

Here's a picture of the "before" on the knife guy, so you can see what the model is reduced to. Though I hadn't done the second cut on those legs when I took the picture, and you can't see the torso modification. This was for a conversion challenge on another site, where they just wanted to see the "before" picture of it.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=372

Here is one of the more popular models. I added red lines to show where the cuts were made to achieve that pose. 

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/9/4/534379_md-Conversion%2C%20Posing%2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Tall%20Scale%2C%20Tutorial.jpg

The soft armor on the right wrist was cut free at the wrist ring, and behind the hand. Once free, it was rotated, and then reattached to the arm to create a downward angle instead of the upward one. Thus the original soft armor sculpt is retained, and there's no need for green stuff. The left arm is cut at the wrist (behind the wrist ring is easier, but either way works), and then rotated so that it matches the new angle of the weapon.

I have followed this this thread since I've been on the B&C.  Loved every update.

I was sorely tempted to strip and "upscale" my marines in your fashion from the get - go, but was daunted by the number of models and the high standard you have set.

Fortunately, we can soon ally with another chapter, so I can steal your techniques for my allies ;)

Thanks much for keeping us up to date -- I get inspired with new ideas to steal every time you post.  :)

What are you're thoughts on the new poses with the new boxes?

I like some of them. I mean, it's a step in the right direction to have a couple arms that aren't "bolter cradles". Though I hate the hands being attached to the bolters. First, they are attached too close, with the fingers mashed right up against the magazine well housing. I like to leave a bit of open space so that it suggests a trigger guard that would actually accomodate their giant gauntleted fingers. But that's somewhat minor. The real problem is that it makes it far more difficult to make any models that have a bolter slung, or otherwise not gripped in the right hand.

Fortunately, I have nearly every Space Marine I'm ever going to need for a long while so it's not a huge problem for me. If I get anything, it might be a Sternguard box. And then I'll have to sell those awful legs with the tabards back on EBay, heh.

I haven't commented on this before but your work is brilliant, and the poses are something I want to achieve on my marines.

I have messed around with spacing out marines before and tbh it did my head in, I could not do 100 odd, so I admire your bravery.

It does my head in sometimes too. Probably why 2 years later, this project is still only just more than halfway done, lol. Sometimes I look at the models for days before finding the time/motivation to work on one.  Even when I've got legs and torsos that are already 40-50% prepped for assembly.

I completed a Sergeant for the Veteran squad. He's magnetized at the shoulders, but unfortunately most of the pics came out blurry because I didn't notice a smudge on the lens so you only get to see the one weapon option, lol.

He's 1mm at the shins & hips, 1.5mm at the waist like usual.

Sword is converted from the High Elf Archer command. Legs from Space Wolves Pack. Head, not sure. One of the random heads with an antenna that I use to mark leader models who have fluffy upgraded communications.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/9/10/536280_md-Combimelta%2C%20Combiweapon%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Magnet%2C%20Posing%2C%20Sergeant%2C%20Space%20Marines.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/9/10/536279_md-Combimelta%2C%20Combiweapon%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Magnet%2C%20Posing%2C%20Sergeant%2C%20Space%20Marines.jpg

Clamped to his belt, Veteran Sergeant Marcus carries with him a bronze helmet with a
black stripe from a suit of Mk VII power armor. When asked about it, he will only reply that
it was taken from "a traitor."

These are amazing, easily the best done "true-scaling" I've seen (not a fan of the termi-leg based ones).

Though (and probably just me being dense), I really didn't get what you meant when you explained how you put the spaces in the waist. I don't suppose you've got any pictures of how you did them (sorry if I've missed any in the thread already)?

• 4 weeks later...

I go and make all of these Marines, then those jerks at GW release a Tactical kit that has aiming poses.

Here's a mini-tutorial for one of my more popular figures:

The Horatius Pattern Bolt Pistol.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/4/20/355970_md-Space%20Marines,%20True%20Scale.jpg

So have you ever wondered why the bolt pistols don't fit in the holsters that are on the Marine sprues?

The answer is Games Workshop doesn't care. However, the new answer is because they are holding the Horatius Pattern Bolt Sidearm. A defensive weapon, it was named after a legendary Space Marine hero whose troops held a bridge for a day and a night against an onslaught of Orks before reinforcements could arrive.

The Horatius pattern bolt pistol has been sliced down the center, with the inside faces filed down to make the weapon skinnier, the front sight trimmed off, and the magazine shortened. It's not a perfect fit in the holster, but it is close enough for heroic scale work, lol.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/4/20/355969_md-Bolt%20Pistol,%20Holster.jpg

The barrel doesn't actually flare. That's just a trick of the camera angle.

How's it made?

gallery_64093_6671_4499.jpg

1. Clip the grip, magazine and magazine well, top sights, barrel, and targeter nub off.
2. Like so.
3. Slice evenly down the middle. Following the mold line does the trick.
4. File the middle down to slim the pistol's bulk.
5. Glue halves together.

Obviously the pose is up to you, but the pose above was made as such:

1. Gunner arms from vehicle sprue. Cut right arm free. Carefully cut the thumb off the top, then reattach on the side of the hand.
2. Take a bent elbow support hand. Slice the hand off, rotate, and reattach. You may need to cut the arm under the shoulder pad too and rotate.

This pistol also makes an excellent weapon for Imperial Guard characters since it actually looks like something they could lift in one hand. Or for Sisters I imagine.

Torsos can be done one of two ways.

1. Ring the torso with slim-cut plastic card strips (I use 1.5mm thickness). Once glue is set, file the outside smooth with the countours of the Marine. Then scrape the insides rounded with a curved-bladed hobby knife so that it will fit more flush with the leg "hump".

2. Cut the leg "hump" off and file smooth. Glue flat card across bottom of torso. File outside smooth with the contours of the Marine's waist. This will be easier, but will negate any ability to tilt the torso.

The belt is up to you. Since I model stuff right over the top of them, I don't bother redoing the belt. I just use a strip of plastic card underneath to simulate the lowered belt buckle and "seal" the model at the waistline. Otherwise, you can cut the "belt buckle" free, move it down, and re-sculpt the torso cables using green stuff. It's up to your level of commitment to be honest. Since part of my project involves the Marines having ammunition pouches and grenades, etc, the waistline details aren't as important as you don't see them.

Edited by Veteran Sergeant

aaaand followed

I dunno why. Words fail me (like most of the time) I just really really like this. Like. I tried to do a "true scale" once and it turned out sloppy, used bitz I'd like elsewhere, and kinda kicked me to not go "too crazy" again. But this. Feels like I should give it one more shot. So do you just add the spacer to mid thigh and mid calf? Is there any magic involved? Like a way you get the spacers to "feel" right? Because I totally want to do one of these now. Maybe, just maybe, I could take one more crack at making a Tall Marine. But, and I know I'm asking for a lot, is it possible maybe on your next guy just taking a picture step by step of how you plan your cuts in the legs and how you get the torso to look so neat and tidy?

Maybe because I love the dedication you are willing to show just to make your army look good. Maybe because I like to make my opponent feel like he's fighting a unique force.  not "just space marines" but "that guys space marines that are painted okay and a neat-o captain" But I know if I played you I'd be like "Man how did ya- oh man thats so coo- is that a- Hey you, check out this guys awesome guys, like look at this badass pistol!"

10/10 would fight the Enemies of Man with :wink:

Now, if you can find an easy solution to this I'll bow to your feet. Making a Rhino feel like it's in scale with a marine.  I dunno always seemed like it wouldn't fit 10 guys with full gear, even if they are in shorter scale. 

Edited by Kuchinawa

It's been a rough week or so. Work actually making me work, and spending very little time at my house after work. I did finish another missile launcher, and I'm halfway through an experimental pose for another Devastator. When I lock that down I'll post it up.

What are the white bands you are using to re position the legs and make the marines taller? 

1mm plastic card. You can find it at most hobby shops. I get mine from an RC/model shop near my office. I just cut it into squares, glue it to the legs, then cut/file it down.  I also use it at the waist, but in 1.5mm strips. 

Me likey the pistol!

Nice Tut brother, hadn't realised you'd split it and filed the inside edges, very smart work!

Thanks. Yeah, I realized I never really made that clear, and slimming it down is really what sets it apart. I knew I wanted it to get as close to fitting in the holster as was feasible. 

I'd actually contemplating doing the same to the bolters, but that's just a nightmare to even think about, lol.

I'd actually contemplating doing the same to the bolters, but that's just a nightmare to even think about, lol.

Make one and then mold/cast them for your own use?

It's not nice to ask questions I have no good answer for. :teehee:

The reality:

I'd have to learn how to do it, and buy the supplies.  It really seems like it would be the intelligent thing to do, but I'm trying to cap the expenditures on this product at "unreasonable", and I'm approaching "ridiculous" already as is.  ;) 

I already want to saw all of the barrels off and move them up to be on line with the charging handles/ejection ports. But I haven't.  If it gets to that point, it's entirely likely I may force myself to learn how to press mold.

Wow! The leg extensions are blowing my mind! I never saw this done before- is it fairly common?

I understand the technique thanks to the links and pictures- how long does it take on average per marine?

What do you do with characters who have a bunch of accessories, cloaks, etc. around their waists and legs?

Are Termies still taller after the leg extensions on the regular marines?

Sorry for the barrage- but I haven't started my army yet and now I am considering doing this.

Wow! The leg extensions are blowing my mind! I never saw this done before- is it fairly common?

I understand the technique thanks to the links and pictures- how long does it take on average per marine?

What do you do with characters who have a bunch of accessories, cloaks, etc. around their waists and legs?

Are Termies still taller after the leg extensions on the regular marines?

Sorry for the barrage- but I haven't started my army yet and now I am considering doing this.

1. It's not uncommon, but it's a lot of work. I'd imagine among normal players, it's rare. But these kind of forums draw the hobbyists like me, so I see a fair number of threads with them. The Art Scale stuff done with Terminator legs seems more common because a lot of people like the heroic size of them. What I wanted was more realistic and proportionate Marines, not simply bigger ones. Standard power armor Marine models have really long arms and short torsos. Extending the legs and torso brings them closer to proper scale and proportions.

gallery_64093_6671_336423.png

2. Around an hour of work each for assembly from sprue to base. More than that with conceptualizing the pose, figuring out the parts, etc.

3. I don't like cloaks and robes and tabards. Mostly because they look silly. So they aren't a problem for me. The most complicated assemblies have/will be the ones using Sanguinary Guard legs. Other legs, I just don't use because the effort will exceed the value of the result. The new Sternguard kit was extraordinarily disappointing because all of the legs are useless.

4. Depends on how you do the Termies. I haven't done any yet, but with my concept plans, no, they won't be much taller than the regular Marines. I'm going to make sure they are just slightly taller at eye level, adjust the arms downward so they aren't anatomically impossible anymore, and that's about it. A Terminator suit still has to fit the same sized Marine in it that the power armor suit does. People get confused when it says Terminators are larger than regular Marines. Larger =/= taller. It's an increase in mass, not in height. Bulkier due to the enhanced armor plating and assisting servos.

Thanks so much- really appreciate the detailed response. I will definitely take this into consideration.

I am not in a rush to finish my army (just to start it, lol) so I may give it a try. Do the look strange if you do just the legs and not the torso?

So my buddy and I started the Battle for Macragge campaign in preparation for the next installment of "Veteran Sergeant Play...". These guys have now finally seen the tabletop. Well, a few of them at least.

Here's a teaser.

gallery_64093_6671_87138.jpg

Edited by Veteran Sergeant

• 3 weeks later...

I did it!

Not as good as yours. As I used the mud to try to hid the cut in the shin. Still you gave me the confidence to try my own "tall" Marine. 

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/Kuchinawa212/2013-11-01145122.jpg

Edited by Kuchinawa