I'm not normally a fan of ultrasmurfs, but these really are very well done, I look forward to seeing more!

Thank you. 

Sunday, well I'll be looking forward to that :smile.:

A closeup of the new guy could be awesome, would love to see his face a bit better :smile.:

Thanks. I will take some better pictures on Sunday. I'll have the camera out anyway.

Excellent stuff Ramell! Your quality of blue is outstanding - I really like your take on UMs... I also like the red computer screens in the Rhinos. I use red myself - it's a nice change from the more common green and keeps your pallette intact! :wink: sunday it is then!

Thanks. The screens are more orange than red, the colours are off in the pictures. But either way, you're right. Much better than green.

messinius looks amazing man, Id respectfully say your being overcritical of your abilities, I hope to be able to replicate the blue you've done on my 3rd company marines at some point

Thanks. I posted a recipe on the first page of this thread, feel free to follow it if you want.

Really nice! Would love to see this army IRL when its all finished!

And thank you.

I don't believe I've commented in your thread, but your models are really great as well. Particularly the Emperor's Children. And I'd like to see them in real life as well.

I hope to finish filling gaps on the Rhino by Thursday or Friday. After that, I'll start work on the front plate. I'm using a Forge World one, which is slightly bent, so it will take some work. 

And the other model should be done as well. Doesn't need too much work.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, I'm several weeks late. And I don't even have much to show for it.

However, I had to post for one reason. Today marks the one year anniversary of this thread, so it would be remiss of me to do nothing. 

I decided to try and take some better pictures of Messinus, to mixed results. 

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7384/8774731338_0e2256174e_o.jpg
Image is hosted on Flickr, because Photobucket is being annoying. It gets bigger if you click on it.

And for TDA, a closeup:
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Third%20Company/Squad%20Arcadius/MessinusFaceClose-Up.jpg 
The picture is larger and clearer, but you can more easily see the mistakes I've made, and the roughness of the paint surfaces, particularly in the closeup picture. Some of the grainyness is from the matte varnish, and dust.

I've also taken some pictures of the Rhino.
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/RhinoHeliosWIP21-05-13.jpg
I hadn't realized this before, but Photobuckets resize images to a max resolution of 1024x768 pixels. The original is 2020x500px.

As you can see, it has a Forge World front plate, brass etch on the rear door, and a vox antenna mount from the Land Raider Crusader set. I still need to add headlights, smoke launchers, comms dish thingie and tow hooks. And of course, fill lots and lots of gaps.
GW should really invest in a new Rhino mould for the next C:SM. Would make it much better.

I also need to finish the Storm Bolter, cupola, Heavy Bolter turret, tracks, antenna, side doors, and some decorations. Mostly mould lines, but some gluing.

I've ordered a Forge World brass etch sheet to mark the squad number on the left front recess. The FW Ultramarines transfer sheet only has Second Company numbers (yellow background). However, the Roman numeral numbers are on square pieces, so I'll use one with the "fancy" Arab numeral.

In other news, I've joined E Tenebrae Lux II. Unlike last year, it's with a manageable vow. One Emperor's Champion model, count-as a Captain. I'll probably start it in late June, depending on how much progress I make on Squad Arcadius. More updates on the model at that time.

The side project mini will be finished on Sunday. There's not too much left to paint, though I have to figure out what transfers to use.

I should be (re)starting the next marine after that, on Monday probably.

I think that's all for now. Thank you for reading. Feel free to leave comments and constructive criticism.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's certainly been a while.

This will not be a full update, with lots of rambling that no-one reads, just a few pictures and a couple of lines of tex, but I think it's better than nothing.

I mentioned in the last post that I had joined E Tenebrae Lux again this year, with an Emperor's Champion model. I didn't get around to posting more on that until now, so here's a picture before basecoating:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ECPre-PaintWIP.jpg

Being an early Finecast model, there's a lot of holes, and I've done my best to fill them.

I have made a lot of progress on the model in the last week or so:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/EmperorsChampionWIP08-08-13.jpg

The base is 90% done, the legs about 80%. I should be done with those tomorrow, which is also my goal for the torso. I've only basecoated with Kantor Blue so far. I intend to have it so finished that I can attach the sword arm tomorrow evening, and apply a transfer to the left shoulder pad.

The backpack should be done Saturday, as should most other things. My goal is to varnish Sunday evening, which is possible, if I focus.

And to prove I've not forgotten Squad Arcadius:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/JanusampArcadiusWIP08-08-13.jpg

Battle-Brother Janus is very nearly done. There's a number of small things left. The Veteran Sergeant needs some more work, though.

I will post a more elaborate update on Sunday, including an explanation for the Champion's brown holster, and plans for the future, what with the next Codex coming out soon.

Until then, Courage and Honour!

Real crap timing to put up a pic of an Emperor's Champion in Ultramarine colors :D

I'm digging the work here, though.  Very nice skill on display, though I feel you may be a bit too stingy with the wear and tear.  Even with some mud and a few chips, they look awfully clean.

Slightly behind schedule, but I've got some work done today:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/EmperorsChampionWIP09-08-13.jpg

I'll try and get most of the rest done tomorrow, with Sunday reserved for the last few bits, weathering and varnish.

The transfer will need a fair few more coats of MicroSol, and I'm making some scratches, to simulate battle damage and hide folds in the transfer (it scrunched up much more than usual).

Real crap timing to put up a pic of an Emperor's Champion in Ultramarine colors :biggrin.:

I'm digging the work here, though.  Very nice skill on display, though I feel you may be a bit too stingy with the wear and tear.  Even with some mud and a few chips, they look awfully clean.

That's what you deserve for not following the Codex Astartes. :teehee:

Thank you very much.

I agree on the weathering. I have been holding back, as I didn't want to overdo it. But I will definitely try to weather future models more.

Probably not the two remaining members of Squad Arcadius, so they will fit in better, but the Champion, and whatever start on next.

These are so damn awesome. Where did you get the roman tabard that actualy appears to fit?

What's the EC counting as?

Thank you very much.

If you're talking about the Sergeant's pteruges, they're from the plastic Commander box.

The Champion counts as a Captain with Relic Blade.

Just a quick update today. I'm kind of tired, and I have to get up early for school tomorrow.

I've not made as much progress on the Champion as I had planned over the last couple of days. So instead of today, I'm pushing completion to Tuesday evening. Less than twenty-four hours before the ETL deadline.

But it's an acheivable goal, as I only need to paint the white, gold, gemstones, and a minor bit here and there. The blue on the backpack is about halfway done, while the gold needs some more work, but it shouldn't take too long if I do it simultaneusly with the rest.
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/EmperorsChampionWIP11-08-13.jpg
The blue, red, soft armour and pistol holster is all about 99% done. There's a tiny bit here and there left to do, but otherwise it's done.
The base needs a little more work, but not much, and of course, grass.

I intend to attach the backpack tomorrow evening, then finish off the last bits after I get home on Tuesday, and then apply weathering powders and varnish after dinner.

your models as usual are looking incredible man, also where did Messinus head come from? also really looking forward to seeing the vet sarge complete, looks awesome

Thank you very much. Messinus' head is from the tactical Terminator box, I think.

I will write the big update tomorrow, when I have more time and energy to spare.
Thanks for reading.

Another update on the Emperor's Champion.
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/EmperorsChampionWIP12-08-13.jpg
I didn't get as much work done today as I would have liked, but the white is mostly done, and I've started on the gold. I still have the gemstones and lenses (eleven total!), the parchment, leather on the sword hilt, and a few minor things beyond that left to do
The blue on the backpack is nearly done, just needs some battle damage, while the gold is in the same state as on the rest of the model.

I should be able to finish up tomorrow if I can just focus.

Just awesome, giving some shine to the 3rd company, NICE.

Thanks.

These are looking excellent brother! I appreciate the slide transfer instructions, I will be using them in the future.

Thanks. And you're very welcome.

I know I've already pushed back the big update one day, but I'm going to push it back some more. Probably Wednesday or Thursday, when I'm done with the Champion, and have more time to spare.
Thanks for reading. Comments and constructive criticism is welcome, as always.

• 2 months later...

It's time for another of my several months late update where I've not gotten nearly enough work done in the meantime. It's almost a tradition at this point.

I've had some stuff to work out, both in real life, and regarding this project. And I think I've gotten both sorted now.

I apologise for not updating sooner, but I haven't felt the spark for actually painting much in the last couple of months. And I have not finished the Emperor's Champion.

I burnt out just before the deadline for E Tenebrae Lux, when I realised I would not be able to get done in time, and I've done just about nothing on him since.

The same goes for Janus, who I've also not worked on much. That is, until this week. I'm now almost completely done. Just a few bits and bobs, weathering and varnish. I expect to be done painting tomorrow, with varnish and pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The Champion needs just a litte more work, but I could hypothetically have him finished on Wednesday as well.

Anyways, enough babbling about those two, here's some pictures:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/EmperorsChampionWIP27-10-13.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/JanusWIP27-10-13.jpg

But what about the stuff I needed to work out?

I've gotten a little dissatisfied with my work on the current squad, though I've gotten better with each model.

Add to that the fact that I've made some minor changes in how I paint the models, I've decided to start over.

I'm not ditching the project, think of it as a reboot. It's the same story (that I really need to get down on paper), same colour scheme, same ideas. Just refreshed.

The changes include some different colours, for example replacing the Troll Slayer Orange highlight on red with Fire Dragon Bright and Lugganath Orange, and using brown for pouches and holsters instead of black.

Another change is the way I highlight blue. I posted the original recipe on the first page of this thread, and the new one is mostly the same. The differences are the final highlights are now Baharroth Blue and a tiny bit of Blue Horror (after the Lothern Blue). The other big change is that I've begun doing area highlights on the top surfaces. These include the tops of backpacks, chest plates, helmets, shoulder pads, arms, legs and so on. It's a 2:1 mix of Kantor Blue and Macragge Blue, so very subtle, but it's there.

These changes have evolved between models in Squad Arcadius, for example, I started the new red and blue highlights with Janus. The area highlight started as something special for the EC, but I've decided to use it on all models, and have applied it to some parts of Janus (backpack, helmet, shoulders).

The other big change is the poses of the models. I'm a big fan of Darth Potato's models, which have some fantastic poses that quite put mine to shame. Squad Arcadius is not only boring in that regard, but inconsisten. Some models are just standing around, others are moving, and it's a mess, really.

From now on, my models will be posed consistenly within at least their Combat Squad, if not the squad as a whole. I will also experiment with more interesting poses than are achievable with the stock components.

The third change is the armour. Like the poses, Squad Arcadius's combination of Power Armour patterns is an inconsistent mess. One model has armour from four different Marks (Mk II, IV, VI and VII). In the future, regular models will have armour from only one Mark other than Mk VII, with a few exeptions (Mk II pads look great on almost everything).

Veterans will have a little more leeway.

As you all probably noticed, a new Codex Space Marines was released in September. And along with the book, several new plastic sets were released. The most important are, of course, the Tactical Squad, which is significantly better than the old one, save a few things (hands on Bolters). The Sternguard and Vanguard sets are also fantstic.

I've used this as an opportunity to clean out my bits box, and I have put aside all obsolete components.

I have bought one each of the new Tactical and Sternguard boxes, so I've not run out of bits just yet.

I also managed to get the Ultramarines version of the new Codex. It's rather nice, but not exactly cheap.

The last major change I want to write about now is the primer and varnish I use. I've decided to replace the GW Chaos Black and Army Painter Anti-Shine Matte Varnish sprays I have used with Vallejo Surface Primer (Black) and Vallejo Satin Varnish, respectively. I'm using these with my airbrush (so I actually get a little use out of it).

I've bought a 17ml bottle of each and run a couple of tests. Because of the airbrush, I have much better control with both than with the spray cans, which is always a bonus. The primer seems to not only coat better but also have a better finish than the GW spray. It's also brushable, and works much better for than than Imperial Primer.

The Satin (semi-gloss) varnish is a big change from the matt one I've used for years. I've gotten tired of the way the matt varnish seems to dull the models. It's most pronounced on metals, but it affects everything. I've tested the satin varnish on a few legs (some of the aforementioned obsolete parts), and it works great. It's slightly glossy, but the blue is more vibrant, and a big bonus is that it shows weathering powders much better, and doesn't blow as much of it off, so it's a keeper.

And now I'm getting tired of writing, so here's the first squad in the new version of my Third Company, Tactical Squad Catullus:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/SquadCatullusWIP27-10-13.jpg

The upper row is Combat Squad Alpha, with Veteran Sergeant Catullus in the middle, while the lower row is Combat Squad Beta, with the leader in the middle. Aside from one pair of legs and Catullus' helmet, all plastic parts are from the new Tactical Squad set.

This picture also shows what I wrote about earlier, regarding coherence. Combat Squad Beta is advancing cautiously, while Alpha is providing overwatch/covering fire.

Also, the picture just shows blu-tacked mockups. The finished models will look a little different.

And here is the current status of Combat Squad Beta:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/SquadCatullusBetaWIP27-10-13.jpg

There's still a lot of work to be done, but I am well on my way. The bases are ready to prime.

Currently, I'm working on belt equipment, removing mould lines and filling gaps in the resin bits.

After that, I'll need to do the arms, shoulder pads, bolters, helmets and backpacks before they're ready to prime.

I'm going to prime and apply the basecoat of blue on them together, but I'll be painting them individually from there on.

I'm pretty much done now, just one final thing to add:

I'm going to the Black Library Weekender again this year. I'm buying Macragge's Honour, and the event exclusive books.

I don't know if I'm going to buy any models at Warhammer World on Friday, but I'm considering getting a Vanguard box.

And that's all, finally. This post is over 1,200 worlds long!

As always, comments and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Until next time!

Great to see an update from you, Ramell.

I understand your sentiments better than most. I build models and after viewing them long enough I visualize different poses and parts that are better suited. I do this step about three or four times till my OCD habits are satiated. It's a sickness, lol.

Anyways, I think changes like this help recharge batteries and motivate you to push your boundaries. You're an incredibly good painter and would be able to make the most badly posed models decent. I don't think the posing was bad at all beforehand, but the new squad is a definite improvement. Personally, I like mixing different marks. The only thing I try to stick to is both arms being the same, as well as matching legs. You've mixed a couple marks already, so I'll say don't shy away, it really emphasizes different character in each.

I look forward to seeing squad Catallus in the blue war plate of Macragge. :tu:

I've been tired and unproductive today (Mondays..). I've cleaned some mould lines, but nothing worthy of a picture.

I'm hoping to get Janus done tomorrow, with varnish on Wednesday. I probably won't get the Champion done this week, but maybe I'll get a burst of inspiration.

I'm going to bring some models to Nottingham, hoping to get a little work done Friday and Saturday evening. If I get any painting done, it will be on Sergeant Arcadius. Otherwise, it's mould lines and flash on Squad Catullus/Beta.

Today I realised I forgot to post some updates yesterday. I've upgraded my tool collection a little, with some sculpting tools I got cheap off Amazon. They aren't the best quality, but they seem good enough. It's a set of twelve, with a variety of endings, some spear-tip-like, some flat, a spoon, some pointy bits and a variety of other shapes. They won't transform my work, but the added versatility is nice.

I've also bought some new brushes. I mainly use Raphael 8404 brushes in sizes 1, 0 and 2/0, so I've bought replacements for those three, plus a size 3/0 for fine details and a size 2 to replace the Large Brush from the 'Eavy Metal Brush Set.
I'd like to replace my W&N Series 7 Miniature brushes as well, but I use them less, and they also cost a fair bit of money, so that won't happen anytime soon.
I'm also going to replace my GW Small and Medium Drybrushes and the (regular) Large Brush. I'll pick up the replacements at Warhammer World on Friday, along with a couple paints I'm running low on.

I've also bought a pot of The Masters Brush Cleaner and Restorer. It's definitely improved the condition of my old brushes, so I'll use it on my new brushes regularly, probably every two or four weeks. It's not magic, but it should help them last longer, which is nice considering the price of the brushes (€5,72 for the 3/0, the larger cost more).

I've bought two more things to slightly improve my painting. The first is a 200ml bottle of Vallejo Airbrush Thinner, which should be better than just water.
The second is five cork plugs. I use pins in the feet of the models anyway, so I just make those a little longer, and I can hold the models much more securely than with blu-tack on a pot of weathering powder, before and after I glue them ot their bases.

The last thing I want to post, which I also forgot yesterday, is that I've decided to try my hand at sculpting purity seals. I realised that the plastic ones are just too inflexible for many situations, for example, hanging down across an arm from a shoulder pad, or being draped across a leg.
I tried with a 50/50 mix of Milliput SuperFine White and Green Stuff, which I'd read should have the benefits of both. It didn't work out too well. It's too soft, and by the time it gets hard enough to keep the shape, it's too inflexible. It's also not nearly as sticy as pure Green Stuff, and it's stickyness goes down as it sets. It works fine for making the wax, though, as you can see in the final picture in the last post, on model number V.
When I have some time and energy to spare, I'll try again with pure Green Stuff.

Still some very nice Ultras. Always had a very soft spot for the Third Company.

glory to the 3rd dude, models are coming along nicely, glad to see an update

Thank you both.

Great to see an update from you, Ramell.

I understand your sentiments better than most. I build models and after viewing them long enough I visualize different poses and parts that are better suited. I do this step about three or four times till my OCD habits are satiated. It's a sickness, lol.

I've noticed. But if the end result is great, it's all good.
I usually get an idea, put together a mock-up, and then make a few tweaks before it's done.

Anyways, I think changes like this help recharge batteries and motivate you to push your boundaries. You're an incredibly good painter and would be able to make the most badly posed models decent. I don't think the posing was bad at all beforehand, but the new squad is a definite improvement. Personally, I like mixing different marks. The only thing I try to stick to is both arms being the same, as well as matching legs. You've mixed a couple marks already, so I'll say don't shy away, it really emphasizes different character in each.

Thank you.
I am pushing my boundaries a little with the rebooted Third. The start is just GS purity seals, but I'd like to progress to at least being able to sculpt soft armour and hair. This would go together with serious re-positioning, inspired by a variety of people on the B&C, but you in particular.
The most immediate application of GS soft armour would be my version of your Caracalla, who I'm stealing wholesale for an Assault Squad Sergeant.

The limit on armour marks is not a hard rule, it's just to help me stay with a coherent and consisten theme. Some models will of course have a larger variety of marks, and ornate versions of them, but they will mostly be veterans, who I'll make more individual than regular marines.

I look forward to seeing squad Catallus in the blue war plate of Macragge. :thumbsup:

So do I. I just have to stick with it.

That's all for today. A somewhat boring update, perhaps, but I felt it necessary. I'll try to keep updating, even if I don't make much progress, help myself keep motivated.

I brought out the new brushes, put on some Motörhead and got a little painting done today, on both Janus and the Champion.
I won't be finishing either this week, but I've got Monday off from school, so I should have time to finish up and varnish then.

In other news, I want to write down the background for my army. I've got the basic idea running around my head, but I want to get it down on (digital) paper, and flesh out some details.
I will also try my hand at writing a short story, which I've already begun. It's slightly related to this project, and B&C appropriate, so if it's not complete garbage, I'll post it here, or at least a link to it. Depends on how long it gets.

I liked Janus (you're right, mkII pads make everything look better), but the reboot looks very promising.

Thank you.
Janus is actually one of my favourite models that I have ever done, so I want to remake him as a Sternguard Veteran. The pose and many parts will be the same, but I know the torso at least will be different. I intend to use the Mk IV chestplate from the new Sternguard box, which has a large aquila across it.

Again, what progress I've made is not worth the effort of a picture, but I'll post some pictures Thursday evening, before I leave for Nottingham Friday morning.
Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I missed an update, again. 

I haven't felt like painting much over the last couple of weeks. I've made tiny bits of progress on Janus (shoulder pads) and the Champion (white bits), but they're not finished yet. I've made no progress on Squad Catullus. 

It's not a very interesting update, but I think it'll help me keep going with this.

As I've posted, I went to the Black Library Weekender II, which was great. Got some books signed by Dan Abnett and Neil Roberts. I did not buy much, just Macragge's Honour, the Weekender book, the event-exclusive anthology The Imperial Truth , and the audiodramas Censure and Honour to the Dead. 

I also stopped by Warhammer World Friday afternoon. There I bought a Vanguard Veteran box, a set of Forge World Legion Mk II armour, a couple of fresh paints and drybrushes. 

I've also made a few more plans for this project. I bought a paint rack from Hobby Zone, a Polish company, earlier in the year, and I quite like it. But I'm running out of space for paints, especially with the new Technical thingies GW is releasing soon (next week?), and some other ones I want to get. So I've decided to buy a Large Paint Station from them, as it holds 32 GW paints, which is 15 more than the GW paint station I use now. It also has a larger work area. 

I won't buy all the paints I want, but don't need, as I have other things to spend my money on, most immediately a new smartphone.

And it's not like I don't already have too many unpainted models. 

The second new plan, inspired by Rhetoricus' post in the motivation thread, is that I'll start painting a little, 15-30 minutes per day, every day, even if I don't particularly feel like it. If it works, I should actually get some stuff completet once in a while. I think part of why I fall into these slumps is that it sometimes feels like I never get something finished. 

I'll also work on writing the things I've promised to actually write down. The story I said I'd post is not done yet, and will probably require a rewrite before I'm comfortable with anyone else reading it. I'm hoping to get it done over the next week.

That's all for now. Next update will be on Sunday at the latest, whether I've gotten anything done or not. 

I'll be honest I fell into the ultra hate trap, but this more I read the novels concerning the 2nd and 4th company the more and more I'm liking the ultras as a chapter, GW makes them to be highly arrogant bla bla bla but there's a lot of humble warriors (in the novels) that I enjoy reading about.

Now that aside; these ultras are looking awesome, I really like seeing mixed armour tac marines as I do that my self, your blue is really nice too, dark enough with our detracting from the ultra blue.

Rob

Edited by Dorns_fist