And the Legion Champion is built!

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2016-06-15.jpg

Left arm, backpack and head are kept on by brass rods, the shoulder pads by blu-tac, and the legs have a rod going through the base. Everything else is glued on to the body assembly. I'll glue the parts together as I progress on the painting.

And from more angles:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2016-06-15%20II.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2016-06-15%20III.jpg

I'm not completely happy with how the GS work turned out, but I don't want to start over either. It is my best GS work so far, though. Seems like practice does make perfect, or at least better.

I've also experimented with some new paints (please excuse the sloppy painting):

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/CalthBlueFinishTest.jpg

The blue is Forge World Calth Blue over Macragge Blue, and the gold is Forge World Thallax Gold over a base of Castellax Bronze, highlighted with Valdor Gold, and it's been varnished with Vallejo Satin Varnish.

I quite like it, more than the other blues I've tried for quite a while. Enough, in fact, that I'll paint my Ultramarines like that from now on, starting with the Champion. They will also get weathering powders, of course.

I'll start painting the Champion tomorrow. Maybe I'll post an update over the weekend, or some time next week. If not before, definitely when I've made enough progress to attach the left arm.

Thanks for reading.

I've been busy with the brushes over the last couple of days.

He's gone from grey (and green) last update, to black, to blue, and more blue:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2019-06-15.jpg

The Calth Blue layer is a little patchy, but it's less visible in real life. It's mostly visible on the larger areas, the Mk III addon plates. Those plates will also be the ones that take the most damage, so the chipping will help alleviate the problem.

I think the colour would be more even if I had airbrushed it, but I didn't want to get it out for just one model.

I've started on the chipping, sponging on Rhinox Hide, and I hope to finish that tomorrow, followed by highlighting the blue. Once the lower legs are done, including gold trim, I'll glue him to the base, which is mostly finished, just the area where the foot goes and the rim to do. I'd like to get to that tomorrow evening, or Sunday.

I've also been painting the head. It's not quite finished, so I don't want to show it off yet, but I'm glad I got started - I really like painting heads, and it's been more than two years since I last did so.

I'll try to post an update when he's glued to the base. I think getting into a habit of updating frequently will help keep my motivation up.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't painted as much as I would have liked in the last couple of weeks, but I've made some progress:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2002-07-15.jpg

He's now glued to the base, but I still need to finish the area around the left foot (tomorrow, after the glue has dried). Legs are done below the knees, though they might need a few more touch-ups. Still plenty to do - all the highlighting on the rest of the armour, plus the belt gear, pteruges, soft armour and the gold.

The head is ready to glue to the torso, but I'll wait until I've finished the collar area. The powerfist arm is not far behind, and the inner-facing sides of the backpack and shoulderpads are maybe a third of the way done.

I had a flash of inspiration a few days ago, and played around with blu-tac and some bits, and put together this:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Apothecary%20Mockup%2029-06-15.jpg

It's very much a preliminary mockup, but it just might turn into an Apothecary at some point. It'd require a lot of work to match my ideas for him, and my GS skills are not up to the task yet.

I might also switch him over to full Mk III armour, as the current pose, combined with large arms and the bits on the belt make the legs look rather squat, and the extra bulk on the legs would help there.

I've ordered the XIII Legion transfer sheet and some paints (Iron Hands Steel, Grey Knights Steel, Corvus Black and Clear Medium) from Forge World. They shipped Tuesday, so I should get them tomorrow or Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

I've made some progress:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2023-07-15.jpg

Not as much as I would have liked, but still a lot for me compared to the last couple of years. I should still be able to complete him before the ETL ends, if I keep working like this.

The face, base and gear on the belt (pistol, grenades and Melta bomb) are complete, and almost everything else is at least three quarters done. The outside of the backpack (just glued on) and the shoulder pads (waiting to be glued) remain unprimed, the sword blade has only one coat of Gunmetal and I've not started on the gem on the chestplate.

Mostly I just need to finish off and clean up the various parts, but especially the blue armour (I have been a lot messier than I would have liked).

That's some great work there. That blue really does pop. Probably a stupid question so I apologise in advance. You've used the FW paints, have you applied them with an airbrush or brush? If brush how are they to work with compared to GW standard paints?

Thank you all very much for the likes and comments.

That's a really nice blue you've achieved

Is that Valthex's head on the apothecary?

Thank you.

No, the head is from the Iron Hands helmet set.

Wow, tha face is amazing. The deep blue is really well done, however Im not a big fan of the glozzy effect, but It still looks amazing.

Thank you very much.

I agree, the gloss is a bit much, but don't worry, it will be toned down by the varnish.

That's some great work there. That blue really does pop. Probably a stupid question so I apologise in advance. You've used the FW paints, have you applied them with an airbrush or brush? If brush how are they to work with compared to GW standard paints?

Thank you.

I've used brushes for all paints, FW or otherwise. I haven't even used my airbrush for more than a year.

Compared to Citadel paints, they are much better. Pigment is finer, they are thinner, flow better, and generally cover better. My pot of Gal Vorbak Red is very thin, almost too thin for brush use, but it might just be a fluke.

The Clear paints have no equivalent in the Citadel range. They are probably best applied with an airbrush to ensure an even coat.

I've written some more detailed posts about them in a different thread, starting here.

Just a small update today.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2025-07-15.jpg

Shoulder pads are on, just waiting for the glue to dry. Hair is finished, backpack's ready for highlights, and I've done a few more minor that aren't really visible in the picture.

I think I'll be able to finish everything by Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'll get the weathering and varnishing done no later than Friday.

Thanks for all the likes.

Awesome work so far. I'm really excited to see where the Apothecary goes, that's an incredible kitbash.

Thank you. I will not get around to working on the Apothecary for some time, probably until next year. I want to finish some Tacticals first, and practice my GS work.

Awesome weathering and the face is incredibly well painted! Hope you can get him finished on time for the ETL :smile.:

Thank you very much.

Quick update:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/ETL%20WIP%2031-07-15.jpg

I still need to finish the shoulder pads, back of the backpack, arms, sword and some other bits, mostly on the torso.

I'm not quite done for today, though, and I'll have until about 15:00 tomorrow (giving me time to get the varnish done properly), so I should be able to finish him in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I needed a break after the rush to finish the Champion, and it got a bit longer than I had expected.

Loving it, he looks amazing.

Weather those transfers and you're set. Looks awesome, man.

Thank you very much, both.

The transfers do need weathering, but I do not want to work on that model any more. Also, they are very, very thick, so Micro Sol barely affects them, weathering powder just stains them yellow, and paint doesn't adhere well to the smooth surface. But I'm just making excuses now.

My weathering, especially on transfers, is one of the things I want to work to improve.

I mentioned earlier that I wanted to start a HH force in August. That's going to be a bit delayed, in part due to a lack of funds (changed priorities - I want to get a new graphics card next month), and in part because I need to figure out exactly what I want hobby-wise.

I had intended to make a basic infantry force, consisting of Tactical and Heavy Support squads with a few special units. But I am not very good at making models in batches, and doing them one by one would get tedious.

So I'm considering if I should just make the models that I feel like. For example, I might build a Contemptor, then a Cataphractii Terminator, then maybe an Apothecary, followed by another Terminator, and so on.

It won't make for a large army, but there's nothing stopping me (aside from myself) from building an infantry force in the future.

Another thing is the upcoming plastic HH set(s?). Depending on what it costs, a plastic Mk IV Tactical squad might be a relatively cheap base for Praetor armour using the FW set. Or just plain Mk IV. I had planned on using just Mk II and III (and Cataphractii), but the savings with the plastic are very appealing. Another thing I have to figure out, but I think I'll stay with Mk II.

Then there's the blue colour I will use. Calth Blue over Macragge Blue, like I used on the Champion, looks great. It's not so great to work with, for several reasons (inconsistent coverage, glossy finish is difficult to paint on, thick coat obscures fine detail. And I just want something that's a bit simpler and dirtier (without looking bad).

So I've looked into flat colours again, and I think I'm on to something. A mix of Kantor Blue and Caledor Sky, otherwise painted like I used to, doesn't look half bad, and is much easier to work with, especially if I mix it in a separate paint pot (I've some on the way).

I still need to play around with it a bit, but the first test, on the leg, is promising:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/UM%20New%20Colour%20Test%2010-08-15.jpg

I've also tried something else with the chipping. Instead of doing it like on the Champion, where all of the chips have highlight and shading, and are very clean and defined, I've just sponged on Corvus Black and then Rhinox Hide, and highligted some of them. So far so good, I think. Faster, and looks a bit more realistic, but I still need some practice with it.

And another thing before I start a new force; I have a lot of 40k models I haven't built yet, including a Venerable Dreadnought, a Storm Talon, plenty of 40k marines, and the Dark Vengeance box. I'd like to go through some of them while I figure out what I want to do with my planned HH project. I won't do everything, but a couple of marines, and maybe the Dreadnought. I'll keep this thread updated with those.

The first model I have planned is actually one I've wanted to make for a while:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Caracalla%20WIP%2004-08-15.jpg

Some may recognize the model it's based on, Tyrannicide's Caracalla (scroll down a bit), form back when he was working on a Genesis Chapter project.

Aside from being the field-test for the new blue, I'll paint him like I used to for 3rd Company Ultramarines (with some upated methods for certain colours), but on a desert base. Additionally, he will be a Sergeant (not Veteran), so the hemlet will be red, as will the shoulder trims and the studs on the left pad.

I haven't really gotten started on him yet, but probably will this week.

Thanks for reading.

Update, probably no later than Sunday. Depends on how lazy I feel, and how much work I get done on Caracalla.

The new blue looks just as good to me as the previous recipe - if its easier then so much the better.

Your Caracalla guy looks awesome, good mix of parts giving the mkV feel.

FYI the red helms for Sergeants came after the Heresy, before they were a mark of censure (though that may perfectly fit with Caracalla if you are using the same background as Tyrannicide did).

• 4 months later...

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Caracalla%20WIP%2011-01-16%2001.jpg

It's been a while.

From my last post and to the end of October, I didn't really do anything 40k related other than play around with some blue paint.

But at the start of November, I found a new brand of paints, Scale75, to try out, and the release of Betrayal at Calth increased my motivation.

And then I decided to sign up for March of the Legions with Caracalla. I managed to get him built, primed and I started basecoating, but I realised I wouldn't finish him in time.

I had actually started painting the helmet blue (being a HH project, I made him into a regular assault marine), but I've since stripped it and as you've seen, painted it red.

And then in the last week or so, I've painted a fair bit. I'm taking it easy, only painting when I feel like it, but I'm making good progress.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Caracalla%20WIP%2011-01-16%2002.jpg

The helmet's not quite finished. The top needs some work, and there's a few small things on the side and faceplate still to do.

The blue on the torso is also not done yet. Mostly I just need to clean up after the highlighting wherever the lines have gotten too thick.

After that, I will start painting the feet and legs, before moving on to the rest of the torso and then the arms, and the the other parts such as soft armour and belt gear.

Shoulder pads will come after that, and I'll attach the Jump pack last, after the pads are done, so it and the chainsword will be the last parts I'll paint.

The left kneepad will be white, to counterbalance the large amount of red, and make up for the small amount of white, as only the right pad and the rear of the backpack will have transfers.

I'm also thinking about painting some diagonal white stripes on the sides of the chainsword.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Blue%20Test%20Scale75%20XX-11-15.jpg

I've also settled on a way to paint blue. The colour I had mixed up wasn't quite right for what I wanted, but then I came upon the brand Scale75.

I've tried out a bunch of their paints, and not all are right for my needs, but I've started using several of them, such as Cantabric Blue as the main colour for my blue, and a couple of their inks and metals.

The backpack above is a rough colour test for the blue, which I've varnished. The Scale75 paints dry to a very matte finish, so the satin varnish I use has a much larger effect than on Citadel paints, and is critical to the end result.

I've been much more aggressive with zenithal highlighting on Caracalla's torso, and I didn't do any chipping on the backpack, but there's still a visible difference in depth and glossiness between them.

The red is also slightly different from how I've done it in the past, as I've replaced pure Mephiston Red as the main colour with a 2:1 mix of Mephiston Red and FW Gal Vorbak Red. It's a bit darker, but otherwise very similar.

Aside from that, I'll be doing lenses slightly differently, mainly just replacing the Troll Slayer Orange/Lahmian Medium glaze with FW Pyroclast Orange clear paint, which is what I did on the Legion Champion's chest gem, and Caracalla's lenses (just with green paints).

Gold and metal will be mostly like on the Legion Champion, but with better shading and more careful highlighting on the gold, and a different main paint for the metal (Scale75 Black Metal). The black parts, brown leather and the base will keep being the same.

To summarise, I've tweaked a number of colours, but it'll still be mostly the same except for the blue. The colour scheme will also remain the same.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Cataphractii%20Squad%20WIP%2018-12-15.jpg

And then there's my next project, and the start of my Horus Heresy force. They're just blu-tacked mockups so far, and I won't start working on them until I'm finished with Caracalla.

I had planned on buying a Forge World Cataphractii squad in November or December, after I'd finished Caracalla, which turned out to be rather optimistic.

But the release of Betrayal at Calth was rather fortuitous, because I could get the squad with all the parts I needed for just £20 from a bits seller, and in plastic.

I still need to buy some transfer sheets from BaC, as I hadn't realised the pads are too small for regular transfers, and too large for the small Ultimas, but otherwise, I'm ready to start working on them.

I'll paint them in mostly the same scheme as GW's, but with brown leather pteruges, and probably red shoulder pad trims (with gold studs), and of course in my own colours. And they'll have the same desert bases.

There's a couple of small things I've not yet decided on, but I have time enough for that.

What I'm not sure on is what to do after that squad, aside from getting another five terminators for it.

Betrayal at Calth is a very attractive set. It's a fair bit of money at once, but compared to other sets, and FW in particular, it's a great deal, and all the models except the Contemptor are great, and plastic is much better to work with than resin.

But I much prefer Mk II and III to Mk IV armour, at least for my army, and what I would really like to do is build an army in those Marks, with exclusively Phobos bolt weapons and similar older equipment.

Basically, it comes down to budget and ease of modelling versus my vision for a collection.

Of course, if GW ends up releasing Mk II plastic tacticals before I'm done with the Cataphractii squad, it'll be an easy decision, but otherwise I need to give it some serious thought over the next couple of months.

The new blue looks just as good to me as the previous recipe - if its easier then so much the better.

Your Caracalla guy looks awesome, good mix of parts giving the mkV feel.

FYI the red helms for Sergeants came after the Heresy, before they were a mark of censure (though that may perfectly fit with Caracalla if you are using the same background as Tyrannicide did).

Thank you.

It was never my intention to make Caracalla a HH marine, Scouring-era at the earliest. Maybe I should have been a bit more clear on that.

Very cool to see that model reborn, man. You'll put paint to him better than I ever could.

Looking forward to seeing you transition to 30k full time in the future. :smile.:

Thank you.

I hope I can do him justice.

Thanks for reading. Next update will be whenever I've made some progress, and feel like posting. Probably later this week.

The new blue looks excellent. I like the more matte finish, too.

After the battle of Calth, unless there's a fluff discrepency somewhere. I don't know how long it would have taken to become standardized throughout the entire legion with the Shadow Crusade going on, but Guilliman definitely orders the change at Calth in Know No Fear.

And that's the zenithal highlighting done.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Caracalla%20WIP%2017-01-16.jpg

It's a bit rough in some places, and not too well blended, particularly on the left forearm, but once it gets some chipping, it should look fine.

This is the first time I've done this kind of zenithal highlighting and blending across a whole model, and the first time with this recipe for blue, so it's a bit of a learning experience for me. My next model will no doubt be much better.

The new blue looks excellent. I like the more matte finish, too.

After the battle of Calth, unless there's a fluff discrepency somewhere. I don't know how long it would have taken to become standardized throughout the entire legion with the Shadow Crusade going on, but Guilliman definitely orders the change at Calth in Know No Fear.

Thanks.

The blue will be less matte once he's varnished though, as I use a satin varnish.

• 8 months later...

Long time no see.

I vowed a squad of Cataphractii Terminators for ETL, but shortly after it started, I lost all motivation for the hobby, so that was a complete failure.

However, this motivation has slowly come back over the last few weeks, helped along by, among other things, the return of Hyaenidae and news of a new plastic HH box.

And so I have something to show off, an entire Combi-Bolter that I've just finished painting:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Ramell_of_Cadia/Horus%20Heresy/XIII%20Legio%20Ultramarines/Work%20In%20Progress/Cataphractii%20I-V%20WIP%2015-10-16%2001.jpg

Oh, and there's some other small things like significant progress on Caracalla and a fair bit on the Terminator wielding the bolter, though it is rather messy at the moment.

I've also got some fresh brushes and paints, including some of the new texture paints, on the way, and I will pre-order the Burning of Prospero set as soon as possible.

And with that, I will most likely start up my HH project properly within the next few months, with a new thread to have a fresh start, but I will finish Caracalla before that.

In the meantime, I will continue to post irregular updates here whenever I feel like it and have something to show off.