Well....I failed to meet my deadline for the Call of Chaos VII. :dry.:  Here's how everything, besides the finished "Typhus" stand-in looks at the moment.... The Vindicator (still needs weathering, detailing and all its deamonic gribblies painted.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0iOX5jslnZg/VLijsxJYOAI/AAAAAAAACBs/zdSZcqPPDYY/s1600/Vind0116.jpg

The Rhino - pretty much in the same boat as the Vindicator.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tcqzmh_YRE8/VLij7O7UIcI/AAAAAAAACB8/bkg14A9paJY/s1600/Rhino116.jpg

AND my 10 plaguebearers, they are washed in different shades of "yeck!", but still need a LOT of work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JxUD3Uf3Gik/VLikUgOT-JI/AAAAAAAACCM/9tFAKpZUIMc/s1600/PlagB116.jpg

Dude I I can't believe you don't call those vehicles finished: they look so awesome. One thing though: drill out the exhausts on the rhino and vindicator. :biggrin.:

Also (and I'm looking at you, everybody besides redneckboss): **WHY** is no-one else following or commenting on this thread? His work is amazing and he's hilarious.... :d 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Also (and I'm looking at you, everybody besides redneckboss): **WHY** is no-one else following or commenting on this thread? His work is amazing and he's hilarious.... :biggrin.:

Erm... because some of us are following his blog here and are using that to comment, thank you very much ;) I can only echo the sentiment, though: Some amazing work here, and I would certainly have labeled those Call of Chaos entries completed, had I been in your stead: Maybe you just enjoy being a spawn to much?!

Anyway, keep up the amazing work!

Dude I I can't believe you don't call those vehicles finished: they look so awesome. One thing though: drill out the exhausts on the rhino and vindicator. :biggrin.:

Also (and I'm looking at you, everybody besides redneckboss): **WHY** is no-one else following or commenting on this thread? His work is amazing and he's hilarious.... :biggrin.:

I always saw the Rhino exhausts as a tube with a cap on top. A Rusty,dirty cap. To keep the birds out....oh.... and grenades. That's why I don't drill out the tops of them. I could, if I felt like being a bit more psychotic than normal, cut out the part under the cap. Then again.If I were building these for a scale model show, I probably would just rebuild the top of the exhausts with card. ;)

Thanks for all the kind remarks, gang. But, they still need a good deal of work for me to call them done. Tentacles and other gribblies need finishing and there needs to be some subtlety to the rust and weathering done yet.  But they are @75% of the way there. The Plaguebearers...well, they are about 25% done. :(  And for all my work, I have been blessed with some flu-like thing. Grampa Nurgle loves his faithful.

• 2 weeks later...

You know how they tell you NOT to operate heavy machinery while taking certain cold/flu meds?  That packaging says NOTHING about weathering powders. DO I need a lawyer? Anyone in the UK know one, because I LOVE those friggin wigs they wear in court! :smile.:   A bit of "progress" and a bit of an impass on the Vindicator, while using weathering powders under the influence.  There are a LOT of tricks to them, but I like to use Isopropol alcohol as a kind of fixing agent. It tend to take away alot of the subtlety.  I realize the pictures don't look "that bad"... but the thing is.... its NOT the look I was going for.  First, a shot with the Rhino on the right (no powders) Vindi on the left (too much time in the powder room)...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I5JC8PCuvh0/VMc1v9cQ6UI/AAAAAAAACCk/m1iYO4VAI84/s1600/vinrhinocomp.jpg

The door is the problem area, the parts aft of the door look pretty OK so far, but that big BLOTCH of red/orange is....well....a big, flat blotch of red/orange and its not fooling anyone. Especially me.  Everything has been fixed with dullcoat, so I can "fix" it by breaking it up with paint and inks. Though that violet "water spot" is kind of a happy accident....sort of like a heat weapon burn. The other "problem" area for me was the dozer blade. Another big flat orangy blotch. But it has its good parts too.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AfFmshUYPFg/VMc3VEeYsmI/AAAAAAAACCw/NYUkKhKeCUI/s1600/VinFrnt127.jpg

Nothing that's not fixable.  Overall, it was like one of those days when you know damned well you should have stayed home from work/school/whatever but took some meds and went in anyways, did a half-assed job and just wished you could curl up in the corner for a nap.  Apparantly, that applies to weathering powders (and anything involving a hobby knife and/or super glue) as well.  I'll get it fixed up, though I may take a little time off of the vehicles to begin work on "The Seven" - my ratty spawn-like Obliterators. :wink:

Edited by rednekkboss

I agree on the dozer blade, but I kinda like the door. To be honest, I'd say don't 'fix' the door, as it ain't broke!. But hey, your standards seem to be higher than mine... :wink:

The door has more promise. It just needs some tweeking. There's alot of flat color that needs breaking up, but its an easy fix. The dover blade....that needs work.

I did a  version of THAT Rhett Bastid for an upcoming Warhammer 40k comic. Since you are all so nice to me all the time. I figured I'd share. :)  

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YwQc2mm5Gko/VMm9Yp9KGTI/AAAAAAAACDQ/_QihzPoImZA/s1600/typhus.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the Vindicator... fixed up the rust a bit. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-84bnD1l7Ofs/VNbvJNBfUCI/AAAAAAAACEE/SJhSyb_vXTo/s1600/AftrVind.jpg

And started laying in the base colors for the organic, gribbly areas... best seen on the top.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dmNao9GNj7E/VNbv_CNLjfI/AAAAAAAACEc/KMoRSUDnY7I/s1600/Vindtop2715.jpg

More soon. Cheers, Ya'll!

Just went through the entire plog. I must say I'm super impressed with your work. One thing is the great builds and sculpting but the paintjob just makes it a homerun.

Thanks man! I really appreciate the great comment. Its the kind of thing that keeps me going, especially since I can't ever seem to get games in anymore.

Hey RNB, that vindi looks pretty great -which is a total understatement. Superb work as always mate.

One thing though, and this only popped up looking at the top of the tank (so it might be just a picture thing): the armour plate seems to have a sheen, did you spray then with purity seal or satin varnish or something?)

Keep it up, I'd love to see some daemons or plague marines from your hands. Or a great unclean one, built or at least heavily converted by you?

Hey RNB, that vindi looks pretty great -which is a total understatement. Superb work as always mate.

One thing though, and this only popped up looking at the top of the tank (so it might be just a picture thing): the armour plate seems to have a sheen, did you spray then with purity seal or satin varnish or something?)

Keep it up, I'd love to see some daemons or plague marines from your hands. Or a great unclean one, built or at least heavily converted by you?

Its a lighting issue in that photo. But its been sprayed with a flat.  I use Testors Dull Coat to fix my weathering powders and then Krylon flat coat when the models done(and re gloss the slimey parts), to make them safe to handle.  So, you get some sheen off of the acrylic in some photos before they have been finished. I have yet to master the art of taking pictures of my models. 

I REEEEeeeeeeeeeeaaaaly have the itch to build something. I have Blight Knights that I'm going to make either Terminators of Plague Marines out of (haven't decided yet)  And then there are  "The Seven".... 7 forelorn Rat Ogre models wo will become Obliterators and likely look very little like Rat Ogre when I'm done.  They are next on the conversion table.  I like to push my skill enevelope with each project, so each one of them should be interesting, though I think the 4 I have from the Fantasy Island of Blood set will get the heaviest converting.  Should be fun. Nasty, gross fun. ;)

I started the detailing (basically painterly highlighting) of the Vindicators possessed gribbly parts tonight and thought it'd be fun to time myself to see what I get done- at normal pace- in one hour.  A shot of the results (the light areas are new, older areas are the darker fleshy tone)......

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zbLLXNW0DFk/VN2nfoxuV-I/AAAAAAAACE8/VsJRSpEXJHM/s1600/VinTur01.jpg

If you'd like to read my rantings on the particular hour (and a couple more photos) ...... http://rednekkzmekshop.blogspot.com/2015/02/through-magnifying-glasses.html

That was actually an amusing read. And I feel my wife roll her eyes when I get started too.

May sound funny but have you tried using a bigger brush? A good quality size one can easily have a tip as fine as a 10/0 but holds way more paint in the well so more time actually painting. Windsor & Newton Series 7 Long (they do short hair ones too but they behave differently) are popular and really hold a fine point.

Hi!

Amazing thread! Lots of nice and unpleasant things!

The colour scheme for your marines is very striking, love the reds.

Something that caught my eye was the greenstuff work on Ms Charlotte. I really love the first quoted pic and I think you could have stopped at that point. I think it creates some nice contrast and is easier on the eye, the second pic looks a bit to busy to me and it looks like you got some nice texture in the "unfinished" areas.

The sculpting on Ms Charlotte's left side is now done. Now to fabricate the wings. :cry: The part I've been putting off.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qsklUoanlFw/Ul7wUcvZGYI/AAAAAAAABcY/RMMsX-Vjv74/s1600/CharLeftside.jpg

Hi!

Amazing thread! Lots of nice and unpleasant things!

The colour scheme for your marines is very striking, love the reds.

Something that caught my eye was the greenstuff work on Ms Charlotte. I really love the first quoted pic and I think you could have stopped at that point. I think it creates some nice contrast and is easier on the eye, the second pic looks a bit to busy to me and it looks like you got some nice texture in the "unfinished" areas.

The sculpting on Ms Charlotte's left side is now done. Now to fabricate the wings. :cry: The part I've been putting off.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qsklUoanlFw/Ul7wUcvZGYI/AAAAAAAABcY/RMMsX-Vjv74/s1600/CharLeftside.jpg

I can see what you are saying. Its sort of in the "too late not" department, but I'll take another look at her when I start working on her again. I've been eyeing that model to get her finished while I paint the Vindicator that won't end.  Painting Ms. Charlotte will be a long un-ending nightmare in its own right.

That was actually an amusing read. And I feel my wife roll her eyes when I get started too.

May sound funny but have you tried using a bigger brush? A good quality size one can easily have a tip as fine as a 10/0 but holds way more paint in the well so more time actually painting. Windsor & Newton Series 7 Long (they do short hair ones too but they behave differently) are popular and really hold a fine point.

Oh yeah, I've gone the gammit of brushes. For what I'm doing at that level a 10/0 helps me get the look I want. The one I use is actualy a bit old and has a slight curve in the point. It works good for this tentacly nonsense. I have a lot of beat up "specialty" brushes like that. Luckily, this one application of detailing... and maybe some higlights on the pustules is the only place I'll use the 10/0. I can probably finish up what I need to do with it in abut 2 hours . Then its shading and tinting with a much bigger brush and a MUCH quicker process. For all my complaining, the Vindicator is not that far from done. Its just getting past the detail hump... and my hobby time is kind of limited for the next week or so.

As for the wife, she's known I'm not quite right in the head for some time now, but she keeps me around. Probably because I can reach things up high.

Edited by rednekkboss