The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

It's Bootifull! *sniff*

You seriously gotta do a tank tutorial at some point. Seriously. And weathering. And the physical wear and battle damge.

Just a the shields alone are humbling.

Can I get a close up? *saves pictures in inspiration folder*

Thank you (and everyone else!) for the kind words. I'll try to do a tutorial sometime reasonably soon, but with my schedule, that may or may not actually happen. I had to postpone my Step 1 exam to the end of June and start an 8-week surgery rotation in the beginning of July, so that puts a damper on a lot of the things I would like to do. However, I do have three Sicarans and various other tanks and flyers assembled and primed, and would really like to get at least a couple done in that small window between Step 1 and the rotation that may very well cause my mind to produce such a vast outpouring of negative emotion that I will be personally responsible for the spawning of a new chaos god.

If I can, I'll do the tutorial along with one or two of them. If I don't do it then, I'll be in hiding from forum members screaming "Purge the Unclean!" after they find out I wasn't joking about that new warp god.

~K

Worry not brother, hold off the tutorial, you just keep pushing out those gorgeous tanks, your Brothers will hunt you down and slay you like a crazy WITCH help you out, if it comes to you creating a new Chaos God and going wibble teehee.gif.

Anything for a Brother.

We are Templars, It's what we do. msn-wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Mors Ultima Ratio was found in the depths of a machine bunker on one of the outlying planets of the Phall system. On Phall VIII, the crusade discovered a long-abandoned outpost of the Imperial Fists 1st company. Our tech adepts hypothesized that the base was created in haste during a great battle between the Imperial Fist fleet and some unknown enemy. The remnants of a crashed Imperial Fist vessel were found relatively close to the base, and all signs were that the surviving crew created the hidden base to keep war materiel out of the enemy's hands. This particular war machine was discovered on the lowest level of the base -- a great and rusted hulk filling the dark and soundless space. Heraldry and other identifying markers were all but unrecognizable, though a portion of its flank bore the peeling remnants of white and blue. It was thought upon discovery that this flanking plate had been salvaged from another legion during the Horus Heresy, but after more recent events there are whispers to the contrary.

The restoration proceeded as normal during the first weeks, but retrofitting of the turret lenses resulted in the unexpected awakening of the Fellblade. The machine spirit was enraged upon activation and its subsequent actions nearly resulted in the loss of Strike Cruiser Nemhain as well as nearly threescore tech servitors. Brother Molifand valiantly struck the deactivation runes within the Fellblade, losing his right arm when security measures attempted to block his actions.

Further restoration proceeded only under the vigil of Forge Lord Ulysses, and even then resulted in the loss of fourscore further servitors. The machine spirit has been somewhat tamed, but upon command of Lord Mkallan, the beast may only be unleashed with brother Ulysses in attendance. Images taken from a safe distance follow:

gallery_60019_9556_155442.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_752039.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_74628.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_531709.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_217397.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_798539.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_253849.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_133322.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_78968.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_428576.jpg

~K

edit: Brother Secutanus (the gunner) is wearing an unrepainted suit of ancient power armour during Mors Ultima Ratio's first action with the crusade. This suit's particular machine interfaces are necessary to control the turret. Use of another suit was attempted, but the result was somewhat unfavorable. (It took the servitors several hours to clean the remains of Brother Mkarren's lower body from the gunnery pit.) The suit will be repainted with Brother Secutanus's personal heraldry soon.

(In other words, this is my IF Horus Heresy gunner. I have a BT gunner, but he is not yet painted.)

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your kindness. There are a few small details I need to take care of (like the machinery plates on the flank and rear of the turret). I'll post those eventually.

~K

Progress report: work proceeds at a slow, but steady pace. Much better than a slow and sporadic pace, I suppose, but I still wish I was a bit faster. I'd like to squeeze in one more vow when this is done.

gallery_60019_9556_176041.jpg

~K

Awesome.

I love the half and half IF/Templar thing you got going

Thanks! I'm working on a 30K Imperial Fists army, and 1st company and veterans will be using the templar iconography, so I feel comfortable using them with my BT force as well.

If I had time to play. huh.png

~K

That is a awesome idea using the power cable mount for the heavy bolter as a pintail mount. I may need to try this with my leftovers. To echo the above comments, I really enjoy the imp fist and BT theme and think it will look awesome for 30k.

If I had time to play. huh.png

In time brother, in time. Given the alternative, I would rather be able to paint as you do, in preparation of a future of gaming vs. the opposite. The dice will come in their own time. :)

That is a awesome idea using the power cable mount for the heavy bolter as a pintail mount. I may need to try this with my leftovers. To echo the above comments, I really enjoy the imp fist and BT theme and think it will look awesome for 30k.

Yeah, I just drilled out a hole and used a short piece of brass rod as a pin to temporarily mount the weapon. That way I can build the other pintle weapon options later on and swap them as needed. The sponson weapons are also magnetized. You can't see in this photo, but the spartan on the right is armed with laser destroyers. The sponsons on my fellblade, glaive, falchion, and spartans all have magnets aligned for interchangeability.

~K

• 5 weeks later...

Here is my ETL III 2nd vow, finally finished. Standard disclaimer: I'm never really finished. I have yet to do any but the very beginning of weathering on any of the models. Eventually, the bronze will all have the same patina as is found on the beakie headed model. Also, I'm not yet decided how heavily I'll be weathering the spartans. I don't think I will go as extreme as on the Fellblade, but I'm not sure, so I'm stuck for now.

Here they are:

gallery_60019_9556_44734.jpg

"Cypher" -- see the last pic as well.

gallery_60019_9556_53694.jpg

I just realized the beakie-headed fellow is out of focus. And the tabard on the right-side miniature is pretty rough-looking. I'll have to fix it.

gallery_60019_9556_140843.jpg

I've yet to scrawl any text on the crusade and purity seals -- I'll do that later, I hope.

gallery_60019_9556_9912.jpg

I think I need to sharpen up the banner painting a bit.

gallery_60019_9556_71194.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_146170.jpg

Saddest of all, I haven't written any text on the tanks. MUST. HAVE. TEXT. Maybe after surgery.

gallery_60019_9556_15489.jpg

Staring at these pics of tanks without text makes me feel like they're naked.

gallery_60019_9556_47557.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_41295.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_129398.jpg

Anyway, there they are. I hate calling the tanks "finished", but the ETL deadline won't wait. And I'm afraid of getting a private text from Honda -- I'm scared of the red text.

I also felt a bit like I was cheating by painting up a gunslinger chaplain and calling it Cypher in disguise, so to diminish that sense of unfairness, I started the following (I still have a lot of work to do, but won't be able to finish him until later):

gallery_60019_9556_76284.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_80551.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_15409.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_58146.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_121754.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_49184.jpg

I based the miniature upon this painting (unfortunately, I don't know the artist, so I can't give proper credit):

gallery_60019_9556_61476.jpg

~K

Archived