The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully I'll have more in the not-too-distant future.

Wow!  Now that is certainly a High Marshal worthy of our fealty!  Amazing work Krikey, I'm lovin' that kingly helm too.

I stole that from Firepower's artwork. :)

~K

I think the "aura of awesomeness" from your Helbrecht almost triggered a panic attack. I'm looking for a paper bag just in case. :)

Seriously, that is just stunning.

I stole that from Firepower's artwork. smile.png

~K

Well then! Credit where credit is due of course! Congratulations to both you and Firepower on this collaboration of concept and creation, the idea came out beautifully. This is a very cool representation of Helbrecht that really stands out from all the rest.

Keep it up brother, the chapter has its eye on talent such as yours.

Excellent work brother!  Glad to see him finally painted!  I really love the cape, did you freehand the cross?  Also I like that you didn't go with the obnoxious gold Helbrecht that GW did. Looking forward to the Honor Guard!

... did you freehand the cross?  Also I like that you didn't go with the obnoxious gold Helbrecht that GW did. Looking forward to the Honor Guard!

I did freehand the cross; only noticed in the pics that it needs a bit of touch up. I think I'll also add faint shadow with the embroidered grid so that it appears a bit three-dimensional. I tried to make the armor more an aged bronze than what GW used ... the copper carbonate corrosion doesn't show very well in these pics, so I may try to take new after I retouch the cloak. I'm using the same bronze on the honour guard.

And thanks again, everyone. I wish I had more time to paint!

~K

• 2 months later...

A couple of photos of my work in progress for ETL 2014 follow. I still have a lot to do. There's good reason behind the odd paint scheme that I'll explain when I have time. (I owe Honda credit for the idea of a mixed BT/IF scheme.)

Mors Ultima Ratio:

gallery_60019_7476_199479.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_371392.jpg

I ........ I ......... Ma .......... Ima ......... erm.

+Shakes self and slaps self around the face+

Holy mother of all that is Black Templar.

I have just skimmed through this thread, watching the pictures of SOME OF THE MOST AMAZING MODELS EVER!!!!!!!

Excellent modelling, painting, posing, kit bashing, weathering, censored.gif it, ALL the skills you have are so far beyond anything I could ever produce.

It was a pleasure to view these mini's. Thank you.

Seriously, I censored.gifing hate you. biggrin.png

I ........ I ......... Ma .......... Ima ......... erm.

+Shakes self and slaps self around the face+

Holy mother of all that is Black Templar.

I have just skimmed through this thread, watching the pictures of SOME OF THE MOST AMAZING MODELS EVER!!!!!!!

Excellent modelling, painting, posing, kit bashing, weathering, censored.gif it, ALL the skills you have are so far beyond anything I could ever produce.

It was a pleasure to view these mini's. Thank you.

I feel the same way every time I read his thread. It's incredibly humbling because Krikey's one of the rare talents on this forum.

Regarding the Fellblade, your execution so far is awe inspiring. I just love your yellow. How did you do it? I see some washes and lightened sprays, but what did you start with and how did it get to this point?

I've never really been that enthralled with the Fellblade, thinking that the Glaive is cooler looking, but you have certainly changed my mind on that. You've got a pretty sexy tank there.

Again, jeez, its fantastic work, the level of realism you capture Krikey, is stunning. Simply stunning.

Not to sound patronizing, but it was cool watching your skills grow through out the thread. Starting July 2012 to present.

Truly inspiring work.

That thing is glorious, I've been holding everything back from getting a Legion Glaive purely on the fact that it's got a super duper cannon on it and all I can think is oberon.... And now I want this too. ughhhh

Please don't feel that way. I started painting miniatures back in the early 1980s when I was about 12 years old. It took a long time to get where I am, and I still don't feel I'm anywhere near some of the things I see painted by people who have only been painting a few years. If you want to hate, hate on them. smile.png

Not to sound patronizing, but it was cool watching your skills grow through out the thread. Starting July 2012 to present.

I stopped painting for about 10 years and began again just before I started this thread (coinciding with a mid-life crisis and decision to go back to school, which turned out to be an unfortunate duo), so no, you didn't seem patronizing at all. Part of the reason I continue to paint is to learn new techniques and practice old ones. If I stopped progressing, I might as well stop painting.

Regarding the Fellblade, your execution so far is awe inspiring. I just love your yellow. How did you do it? I see some washes and lightened sprays, but what did you start with and how did it get to this point?

Thanks! The answer is ... I don't really know, which may end up driving me mad when I start on my 30K Imperial Fists. I do know ...

1) I started with black primer.

2) I masked off the black areas and sprayed the target areas a dark, warm brown. I think it was Minitaire "Muddy Brown"

3) I sprayed most of that with a darker yellow, and I think it was Minitaire's "Amber"

4) Using a lighter yellow (Minitaire "Mustard Gas"?), I highlighted from above.

5) I progressively added white to the airbrush, continuing to highlight. I also sprayed a darker yellow mixed with dark brown from below (I have two airbrushes, so that makes it easier).

6) What I ended up with was a washed out, almost bone white at the lighter areas and a darker yellow in the shadowed areas. I didn't like it, so I used a yellow glaze over that. (Minitaire's ghost tints: yellow and golden yellow.)

7) After that I carefully drybrushed more highlights over the yellow, using Game Color bonewhite and dead white (I worked on the black at the same time).

8) I then used Winsor & Newton's water mixable oils (burnt sienna + lamp black) as glazes and washes over everything -- yellow, black, and all the metallics.

9) I further highlight with white oil, but haven't gotten to that yet. I have to battle-damage the tank and will do that afterward.

The gunner in the turret isn't done -- he's just black primer, dark brown, dark yellow, and a little highlighting. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with him yet -- he may end up red, but I'll probably leave him yellow. There's reason for that as well in the backstory.

I've never really been that enthralled with the Fellblade, thinking that the Glaive is cooler looking, but you have certainly changed my mind on that. You've got a pretty sexy tank there.

Thanks again -- I appreciate the kind words. I have a Glaive I'll be using as my next entry if I feel I can get it done in time. If not, it'll show up here eventually. I'm actually considering the Glaive, and either two Sicarans or two Spartans for my next vow, but we'll see.

~K

Always inspiring looking at your work krikey, especially for a new painter. I hope you don't mind I intend to steal your writing idea for the sicaran I have slowly being assembled for my next vow. Again that is one very cool tank.

Always inspiring looking at your work krikey, especially for a new painter. I hope you don't mind I intend to steal your writing idea for the sicaran I have slowly being assembled for my next vow. Again that is one very cool tank.

Thank you. Please feel free to steal whatever you wish. I doubt there's much I've done that hasn't been inspired by something else I've seen.

~K

Oh, the things I've missed.

Awesome stuff, Krikey. I must say that the High Marshal was one of the coolest renditions of him I've seen, like ever. thumbsup.gif

The Fellblade looks cool! I've always had a weak spot for black & yellow combos, but man. It looks sweet on a tank!woot.gif

Further progress on the fellblade -- I've continued weathering the yellow, but haven't done anything to the black yet save the beginning of a line of bullet marks on the turret. I've also almost finished the banner, the heraldry on the sides of the turret, and added the Fellblade's name to the turret.

I couldn't find a decent sponge to use, so I just stippled oil paint with a brush. At this point, I'm happy with the result, but we'll see how it goes once I continue the process.

gallery_60019_9556_20801.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_103279.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_83908.jpg

gallery_60019_9556_59878.jpg

~K

Archived