Elmo's seemingly constant WIP

elmo

I feel humble - thank you for the praise :smile.:

I did the blades one at a time with the sword one being first which naturally followed on to the remaining wing section on the second blade but the last blade with the angel on initially caused problems as only the tip of the mural would be shown, hence the addition of the text and Angel which happened to fill the space nicely.

The dozer blade was first painted green and highlighted then the mural was outlined using a soft pencil as this allows you to correct errors without damaging the base colour. I did not use a template.

Once I was happy with the outline I then filled it in using watered down white paint (ended up with 7 coats to get good coverage) then weathered.

The only advice I can give is to choose a simple mural which is wide enough to fill the 3 blades and also as the advantage of being able to stand alone on one blade. The 2 examples you have shown would not really work as they are not wide enough.

Thinking out loud how about the feather turning into ravens on the left hand blade turning into small ravens in flight in the centre then reforming into a raven on the right?? Add a few Blood Raven icons and it may work.... You will have to try a few sketches till you are happy. To make it easier you could try to print your own decals of different sized bird silhouettes instead of painting them on.

Do you have a link to your WIP thread as it would make more sense discussing this there as it is not really DA relevant :wink:

Yes sir. 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317178-miniaturepainters-blood-raven-blog/

I'm working on 35 marines for the demi company, then I'll start working on their transports.  But once I'm in the saddle I knock them out kinda quick.  Since I'm not working at the moment, I have all day to model and paint.  I was thinking of doing the Blood Raven icon but it would mimic your style, but then again, I could center the icon on the middle tank and then flush it out to the other sides.  Also was thinking about using the feathers on the sides of rhino's.

Thanks for the inspiration :)

MP

• 3 months later...

After a short (3 month :( ) break I will be returning to the Calth set after Easter and the first job will be completing the Cataphractii Terminators.

My 2 old style Rhinos have had a simple green bath and the 2 Predators are now soaking so these should be making an appearance sometime this year along with a bucket full of Ravenwing and a Demi Company to go along with the 4th.

It is all Stobs fault as his Ravenwing are bringing me back to The Rock just in time for the ETL.

Just before I make the grand return to The Rock here is a current update on the state of the "painted" collection which includes some poor photos of my Deathwing, Ravenwing, 4th Company, 10th Company and Armoury plus the Horus Heresy DA - there is also a small appearance by the next company on the list but I have not fully committed to which one it will be, 3rd or 5th?

gallery_62353_10059_115307.jpg

gallery_62353_10059_105632.jpg

gallery_62353_10059_119317.jpg

gallery_62353_10059_128515.jpg

Next up the completion of the Cataphractii Terminators then I may go for some more Ravenwing ;)

It's wrong that I can only like it once.

I know it was quite some time ago but when you did your librarian on the bike conversion how much did you cut away from the mid section. Did you keep the Deamon skull belt or the book. Did you have to cut anything away from the waist attached to the bike.

Edited by JJD

It was a long time ago and my memory is not what it was ;)

I have had a look at the model and it looks like I had to trim all the fancy bits from the Librarian and trim back the Sgts ammo pouch to get it to fit.

Here are a couple of close ups - hope this helps you out :)

gallery_62353_6291_38011.jpg

gallery_62353_6291_37950.jpg

I am now committed! Although I did say I had enough to paint I just had to buy some DA decals and one thing led to another and I now have a Dark Angels Battleforce on the way.

Nearly a complete 2nd Company to paint now :wacko.::blink.:

I just can't walk past that shiny plastic stuff.... but who needs to eat anyway?

Edited by elmo

I get mine from spider magnets. They have an eBay shop and do freepost to the UK.

I have always found them fast and reliable and they do a great bulk discount which is just what I need :)

First night back on The Rock and have been using large amounts of Agrax to darken the red casings of the weapons but have mainly been working on the lightning claws and power sword effects. I decided to try something new rather than my previous lightning effect - what do you think? Sorry for the poor photo but it is the best I can do till the weekend and by then the Termies should be complete.

gallery_62353_11541_14333.jpg

The Cataphractii Terminators are done but I will save the photos for when I get back to the photobooth on the weekend as the phone camera will just depress me so have a little patience Brothers.

Next up will be a Chaplain using the Dark Apostle model - nothing exciting.  :tongue.:

First night back on The Rock and have been using large amounts of Agrax to darken the red casings of the weapons but have mainly been working on the lightning claws and power sword effects. I decided to try something new rather than my previous lightning effect - what do you think? Sorry for the poor photo but it is the best I can do till the weekend and by then the Termies should be complete.

gallery_62353_11541_14333.jpg

I think the claws look fantastic and dangerous, which seems right for lightning claws! The power sword I'm less sold on at the moment to be honest to me it looks a bit eldar-ish as is. Now to be fair I like power swords to have a crackling power field look to them so it could just be me.

But I think just a little restrained lightning effect on it would help it look a little less crystalline. Feel free to ignore this as it does look nice.

Here we go with the first newly completed DA models for ages :(

Dark Angels Horus Heresy Cataphractii Terminators
Magnetised for all weapons
gallery_62353_11541_78297.jpg
Armless
gallery_62353_11541_56152.jpg
Combi bolters, Chain fists and power sword
gallery_62353_11541_14908.jpg
Combi bolters, Power fists and Power sword
gallery_62353_11541_13007.jpg
Combi bolters, Chain fists, Power sword and Heavy flamer
gallery_62353_11541_19625.jpg
Lightning claws
gallery_62353_11541_67250.jpg
Terminator Sgt
Plus the WIP of my HH DA Chaplain
gallery_62353_11541_15609.jpg
About another 2 evenings and he will be done :)