KBA's Raven Guard - Tearing out the carpet! - 3-10-14

KBA

Thanks all! We need more Loyalists on the board if we've any hope come Terra!!! While strong in hearts, the XIX lacks numbers.

Paint for the Paint God!!!

5vq3.jpg

h5v2.jpg

Another armless legionnaire. A survivor of the Dropsite Massacre, I'm undecided which role he'll take in my air cavalry be it tactical or assault :)

I figure a good system will be painting a model, then modelling one, then painting one and so on!

I finally put to use the Loken base body/arms I had sitting around for a few months. This legionnaire is a squad sergeant of one of my assault units. If we get some kind of special assault unit in Book III, this guy will lead that unit. There were too many tense moments to count, slicing and dicing the Loken arms to keep his ornate bracers intact while reworking them to hold the axe instead of the bolt pistol and chainsword. Happy with the result :) 

yyu3.jpg

d32f.jpg

o1xs.jpg

ieud.jpg

n5uo.jpg

mcp5.jpg

athn.jpg

Thanks guys! The right elbow seemed a little high, and after mimicking the pose, it felt as awkward as it looked. So I went a made one cut on the forearm and one rotation:

twc9.jpg

i2zy.jpg

1is0.jpg

pg8n.jpg

Feels and looks much better! We can all see his pretty mug a little better too, and I'm sure he'll be able to better spot his kill swipes on dirty traitors :)

Hahah thanks Greyall - as much as I want to be that genius, he's not that brazen. I'll work on the hand smile.png. Yup, BCK, I think the torso mod will help along with the following:

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/6531/ndwg.jpg

Extending the legs at the thicker joints near the crotch instead of the already skinny mid-thigh is the smarter way to do things, and I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing this on Veteran Sergeant's blog! Now to clean them up/sand and add a plasticard spaced torso ontop smile.png

Yeah, the first ones I did I just cut mid thigh too. It's really a learning process. The nice part about doing it at the top of the leg is that you can also adjust the pose if need be. Glad it's working out for you.

I was trying to figure out why the legs looked skinny on some of them, but I realized you were using FW MK VI legs, which I'd heard were skinnier than the standard ones. The only FW parts I've used thus far are torsos and an arm. The Mk III legs look fine though.

I like all of this so far though. You've got a lot of implied motion in your figures, which is really the most important part to me when it comes to modeling. Making models that look like they're doing things the actual character might do, which isn't easy.

You are so sick at modelling, it's unreal. This thread is pure inspiration.

Thanks brother! Happy to give back some where I've gained so much from this forum.

Where have I been!!!! How could I miss all this. I hate you and your fantastically amazingly modeled Raven Guard msn-wink.gif

I hate you and your fantastically amazingly painted chaos marines! Loved your magnetized Night Lord.

He looks great. I guess I will have to steal your idea some day, though changing the axe for a sword.

The start of the thread had the Chaplain I did last year. I used the FW Mk IV heavy chainsword arms with the chainsword cut off and replaced it with the power maul. Way easier path to achieve this if you're interested!

Hahah thanks Greyall - as much as I want to be that genius, he's not that brazen. I'll work on the hand smile.png. Yup, BCK, I think the torso mod will help along with the following:

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/6531/ndwg.jpg

Extending the legs at the thicker joints near the crotch instead of the already skinny mid-thigh is the smarter way to do things, and I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing this on Veteran Sergeant's blog! Now to clean them up/sand and add a plasticard spaced torso ontop smile.png

Yeah, the first ones I did I just cut mid thigh too. It's really a learning process. The nice part about doing it at the top of the leg is that you can also adjust the pose if need be. Glad it's working out for you.

I was trying to figure out why the legs looked skinny on some of them, but I realized you were using FW MK VI legs, which I'd heard were skinnier than the standard ones. The only FW parts I've used thus far are torsos and an arm. The Mk III legs look fine though.

I like all of this so far though. You've got a lot of implied motion in your figures, which is really the most important part to me when it comes to modeling. Making models that look like they're doing things the actual character might do, which isn't easy.

Thanks brother! Yeah those FW legs, especially MK VI, are skinny as hell! Keep on inspiring us with your poses GW keeps stealing.

Bringing back an older model with an updated head and lengthened body. I tried out the little trick I've been doing on my Plague Wolves for my Recon Marine. I kind of like it. I kind of don't. It reminds me of Big Bird in ways. I had to give it a shot :)

qazj.jpg

j9zz.jpg

gg63.jpg

Bringing back an older model with an updated head and lengthened body. I tried out the little trick I've been doing on my Plague Wolves for my Recon Marine. I kind of like it. I kind of don't. It reminds me of Big Bird in ways. I had to give it a shot :)

qazj.jpg

j9zz.jpg

gg63.jpg

That's some awesome whittling skills you have, that head is wicked

First off, that last guy is an  amazing conversion, in a sort of weird and wonderful way.

Having said that, the practical side of me started off with, "Yeah, but the first time a bullet hits his nose it's going to ricochet into his forehead and it's all over."

Now realistically, it probably doesn't matter that much whether you take a shot through your pearly whites or the forehead, but that's what I was thinking.

He's still pretty awesome looking.

That is such a cool idea. Reminds me of a plague doctor.

*Googles plague doctor, gets inspired, plans to make Primus Medicae with the head*

They both look good, but that assault sergeant is awesome!

Thank brother!

Bringing back an older model with an updated head and lengthened body. I tried out the little trick I've been doing on my Plague Wolves for my Recon Marine. I kind of like it. I kind of don't. It reminds me of Big Bird in ways. I had to give it a shot smile.png

qazj.jpg

j9zz.jpg

gg63.jpg

That's some awesome whittling skills you have, that head is wicked

If anyone want to give it a go for other heads and combos, it's A LOT easier than it looks: Dremel out the original helmet head whittling slightly when necessary, whittle the bare face head on the sides to fit in the bored hole and add glue! It really is another example of how great resin is to work with and how spoiled we all are with it.

OMG.

I freakin love it. Awesome idea. Wait till Heathens sees this.

Thanks Potato!!!

Holy hell dude.

After reading the last 6 pages of not reading for a while....my brain asploded.

Glory to the other black armored dudes tongue.png

Glory to the XIX! Thanks brother!

First off, that last guy is an amazing conversion, in a sort of weird and wonderful way.

Having said that, the practical side of me started off with, "Yeah, but the first time a bullet hits his nose it's going to ricochet into his forehead and it's all over."

Now realistically, it probably doesn't matter that much whether you take a shot through your pearly whites or the forehead, but that's what I was thinking.

He's still pretty awesome looking.

I thought the same thing! Bitzing away, I was going, 'It'd suck for this guy to take a bullet to the face!', but as usual with me, aesthetics won me over practicality.

So imaginative - great work!

Thanks!

Damn it, KBA! I finally got Heresy-era Raven Guard out of my head, just for you to hammer it back in.

Clever use of the corvus helm, man. I approve.

Thanks Heathens! I personally think it's just a matter of time before you channel your inner native and gift me with glorious Skin-Walker inspired tales of those dark, ambiguous Isstvan survivor company of Ravens you keep on wishing someone else would do ;). The fluff for my guys will be more standard than that great idea, but it's still one I want to see given life.

Archived