Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

So I did the usual thing I did: committed to a new project (not stopping work on those angry goat boys, but the way I'm painting them takes a while): Feral Orks (themed around being on some kind of Death World). Basically the plan is that I'll be building Bonesplitterz for AoS to also count-as Ork units for 40k, but to help round the army out I'll be doing kitbashes to help create Feral Ork versions of other units (Squig riding Orks to be Stormboyz, Terradon riding Orks to be Deffcoptas, Mangler Squigs to be a melee-only Deffdread, Stegadon to be a Battlewagon, ect). The army is going to be painted almost completely in Contrast (of course some things won't be contrast, but the plan is to do mostly Contrast so I can get the army banged out in a timely manner, though I'm mixing in a fair bit of zenithal prep work to make sure the Contrast looks better than just slapping it on over a primer coat).

Not sure if I'll be trying to mix this into ETL, but it's a thing I should actually be able to knock out stuff for pretty quickly.

The wife of one in our group plays feral Orks from time to time when she wants to join in. Usually it's lots of bikes because those are super easy to justify with boars and I've to say in casual and semi-competetive games it's not bad at all. There's also a truck (basically a wreck pulled by more boars) filled with boyz and of course lots of gretchins using the old night goblin models.

I fully blame Imperial Glory for selling me the idea that Feral Orks are a legitimate threat to other forces (it's also a good book). Plus the idea of an army of a horde of mostly naked Orks running around is a bit unique for 40k since it doesn't see the table very much.

So I did the usual thing I did: committed to a new project (not stopping work on those angry goat boys, but the way I'm painting them takes a while): Feral Orks (themed around being on some kind of Death World). Basically the plan is that I'll be building Bonesplitterz for AoS to also count-as Ork units for 40k, but to help round the army out I'll be doing kitbashes to help create Feral Ork versions of other units (Squig riding Orks to be Stormboyz, Terradon riding Orks to be Deffcoptas, Mangler Squigs to be a melee-only Deffdread, Stegadon to be a Battlewagon, ect). The army is going to be painted almost completely in Contrast (of course some things won't be contrast, but the plan is to do mostly Contrast so I can get the army banged out in a timely manner, though I'm mixing in a fair bit of zenithal prep work to make sure the Contrast looks better than just slapping it on over a primer coat).

Not sure if I'll be trying to mix this into ETL, but it's a thing I should actually be able to knock out stuff for pretty quickly.

The wife of one in our group plays feral Orks from time to time when she wants to join in. Usually it's lots of bikes because those are super easy to justify with boars and I've to say in casual and semi-competetive games it's not bad at all. There's also a truck (basically a wreck pulled by more boars) filled with boyz and of course lots of gretchins using the old night goblin models.

I fully blame Imperial Glory for selling me the idea that Feral Orks are a legitimate threat to other forces (it's also a good book). Plus the idea of an army of a horde of mostly naked Orks running around is a bit unique for 40k since it doesn't see the table very much.

To be fair most Orks are mostly naked even when they aren't feral Orks anyway and their melee weapons aren't exactly techy either lol

To be fair most Orks are mostly naked even when they aren't feral Orks anyway and their melee weapons aren't exactly techy either lol

True, but your average boy is wearing a shirt and pants at least, which is a big upgrade over a loincloth. :P

TITH I finished painting three Nurglingbases, all they need now is varnish and maybe some static grass on the base. Might not sound like a big deal, but they are the first finished models in at least the last two years. So yay me! :cool.:

Never knock progress! It's a marathon not a sprint to finish an army after all.

TITH I finished painting three Nurglingbases, all they need now is varnish and maybe some static grass on the base. Might not sound like a big deal, but they are the first finished models in at least the last two years. So yay me! :cool.:

Aye, I just had to rediscover that. I am overcoming some serious issues in real life the last months, and painting is sort of therapy for me these days. It works out well so far. :smile.:

Aye, I just had to rediscover that. I am overcoming some serious issues in real life the last months, and painting is sort of therapy for me these days. It works out well so far. :smile.:
Mini painting has been therapy for me as well. It acts as a kind of medatative thing since I don't have to think about other stuff when I do it, while also letting me do something that has actual visible progress (which helps since I work retail, a job where progress is basically non existent).

Today in the hobby, I got my hands on an Imperial Fists Supremacy Force set.  I'd only managed to acquire one of the upgrade sprues before, but now when I get around to doing my Crimson Fists army, I'll be able to personalize them a bit more.  And the more I can move away from monopose Dark Imperium models, the better.

Buying stuff you need for your project is progress right?

At least that's what i keep telling myself, (looks over at the mountain of unfinished projects, shudders)

TITHI Did transfers many, many transfers.

The black legion ones weren't too bad but the ultramarine ones were as gorram awful as i remember them being (even using the cut the center of the omega trick they're still a pain in the something unmentionable) also mostly finished the other obliterator off as well, I've just got to tidy up his head a little and do some other tricky to access details before gluing him together

Edited by treadhead

I sincerely recommend Microset and Micro sol. They make transfers a lot more tolerable. Spikey Bits has a tutorial on using it and it's really cheap.

Since I started using varnish to prep the surface and picked up micro set and sol decals have been easy and effective for me. I used to refuse to use them but they are pretty easy now.

I sincerely recommend Microset and Micro sol. They make transfers a lot more tolerable. Spikey Bits has a tutorial on using it and it's really cheap.

Since I started using varnish to prep the surface and picked up micro set and sol decals have been easy and effective for me. I used to refuse to use them but they are pretty easy now.
They're how I stuck decals onto those Imperial Fists I did, to include the capes on the Captains.

TITH I started second guessing my Everchosen model choice. Current plan is the Curseling, but I've started looking at Guilliman as a big, highly detailed 40k model might do well when dealing with the popular vote.

TITH, I have work and can't progress at all. YITH, I was going to come here and post about something but my browser crashed when I tried. It's working now, so...

I got my first pot of Contrast. I dunno if I did it wrong, but the way it turned out looks less like something I'd use for armor and more like a quick way to do a power sword. It's all marbled and stuff, which I know is not how it's supposed to turn out when applied to a thing. In addition, Blood Angel Red is soooo much brighter than Mephiston Red (when layered over white, anyway) that I'm probably not going to be using it for my Marines' armor. Might use it for unique/special/relic power weapons, though.

I'll post pics when my camera's done charging.

TITH, I have work and can't progress at all. YITH, I was going to come here and post about something but my browser crashed when I tried. It's working now, so...

I got my first pot of Contrast. I dunno if I did it wrong, but the way it turned out looks less like something I'd use for armor and more like a quick way to do a power sword. It's all marbled and stuff, which I know is not how it's supposed to turn out when applied to a thing. In addition, Blood Angel Red is soooo much brighter than Mephiston Red (when layered over white, anyway) that I'm probably not going to be using it for my Marines' armor. Might use it for unique/special/relic power weapons, though.

I'll post pics when my camera's done charging.

From what I've seen, if you want to use Contrast for large flat sutfaces you have to go with two thinned coats or end up with splotching as it looks. A look that's fine for Orks but less so on Marines.

I feel like Contrast has the most use in AoS where there is a lot of cloth and flesh, but it could get some milage over silver or gold for a shiny metal look for Marines.

So my Curseling and Beastlord didn't come in, so I picked up a can of Grey Seer, a pot of Ork Flesh and a $25USD Stomcast character mini to practice gold NMM on instead.

Edited by Fulkes

YITHI received a delivery of models for Urban War, but more importantly got some MDF corridors spray-painted with leadbelcher. Glad the detail wasn't obscured, but think I'll need a lot of Nuln Oil to darken them back down again. TITHI cleaned my airbrush, which I'd allowed to become incredibly clogged up from prior use. Managed to finally airbrush my terminators as part of my ETL vow, only to find I'm missing a storm shield with accompanying arm, absolutely gutted.