Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Ah it was just a test mini to see if the contrast turquoise would work for Alpha Legion, Zephaniah.  Ahriman is just the unfortunate victim.  Turns out the colour is too dark for me, I was hoping it might be more aqua-coloured.  May have to go snatch a pot of Aethermatic blue to see if that might be closer for my 30K era stuff. 

Magos Takatus, oooooh man, y'ain't wrong.  It hit me pretty hard as something straight out of the old rulebooks that I just had to use. 

Well I fell victim to my own choices.

Basically I was finding the colors a bit wrong (the blue was too dark for how I do gold basically) and decided to go back and fix it...by tossing a quick coat of primer over him so I could fix it over an even base coat.

And Guilliman fuzzed up so bad he sheds pigment if you just hold him.

So he's gone into a stripper bath. In the meantime I'm thinking a Lord of Contagion could be fun to paint.

TITHI primed the rest of my ETL vow black, then pulled out my brand-spanking-new silver rattlecan only to discover that despite the fact I got the can with the same product code (just above barcode) and the same color cap, I get different results. Bloody hardware paints.

Livid does not begin to describe my anger here.

With Guilliman going back to square one I decided to rebook at what I wanted to do with his armour. My original blue was too dark on it's own so the answer is of course that it will be brighter, and with that I started to retry a shiny blue surface effect to try and make it feel more polished (he's a Primarch, half of his armour save comes from polishing wax after all). After a failed attempt with a smother glaze method I decided to give a brushed metal NMM technique a try.

The highlight was miles better, while having a good pop at arm's length:

bcrtLDH.png

And better yet it still looks decent up close:

mXtji23.png

Not an especially long time was spent on blocking in colors and hitting it with a glaze, but I like the look for Imperial armour more than the smooth look I'd gone with in the past.

So the shiny armour is back (and the technique can work over brighter blues with less fuss which is nice too).

I'm going to likely be tweaking my gold recipie next to try and make it pop a bit more as the old chest eagle showed some problems with the shadows blending into the blue. It's probably going to end up a much brighter color to stand put better and let me do more with less.

Man, Ace Debonaire, I'm glad the green worked that well too. Looks awesome. I know the turquoise is fantastic and I'm hoping that some of the other colours (notably aethermatic blue) turns out like that. Quick, easy, and awesome metallics.

As for me, I got Luna Wolf version Maloghurst the Twisted mostly worked up. Just gotta add a few glazes for transitions on the flesh and then a transfer or two on the standard.

gallery_107230_14721_51046.jpg

Tith I decided that I am quiting the hobby. GWs recent price hike has done me in. I've got plenty of minis to paint to keep my painting bug slated and game wise I've never enjoyed playing so it's not a biggy to me not having the latest minis

Tith I decided that I am quiting the hobby. GWs recent price hike has done me in. I've got plenty of minis to paint to keep my painting bug slated and game wise I've never enjoyed playing so it's not a biggy to me not having the latest minis

As long as you are painting, you are not quitting. Not really. There is no requirement to buy something all the time. ;)

Past few days I've been practicing shiny blue armour methods and trying to get some downtime in.

As much as I enjoy painting with less than three weeks of crunch left I figured I'd try and keep my head above water before I start crunching out a complete model starting Friday.

Man, Ace Debonaire, I'm glad the green worked that well too.  Looks awesome.  I know the turquoise is fantastic and I'm hoping that some of the other colours (notably aethermatic blue) turns out like that.  Quick, easy, and awesome metallics.

I haven't got any of the blue Contrast paints yet, but I can confirm Blood Angels Red, Dark Angels Green, Wyldwood and especially Iyanden Yellow also work great over a bright silver base - I posted a picture of them over in the Contrast Experiments thread in the PCA Questions forum if you'd like visual proof. :biggrin.:

I've got some more colours - in particular greys, oranges and a really nice dark purple on the way, and will probably do another test painting on the spare arms from my latest reiver squad. :laugh.:

That white armour you've done looks incredible, by the way. Very nice!

TITH, I pretty much just woke up. YITH, I picked up a box of Khorne Berzerkers, built three of them from the waist up (I'm kitbashing them with the current CSM kit and I had to scratch the building itch somehow) and built two nondescript Berzerker Characters which are effectively vanilla Berzerkers with redundant weapons. I figure I only need so many bolt pistols out of the Berzerker kit, and since the kit makes 12 models and I only need 10...

...We all know I'm just going to end up building vanilla Zerkers and using these two as sergeants or something...

TITH, I pretty much just woke up. YITH, I picked up a box of Khorne Berzerkers, built three of them from the waist up (I'm kitbashing them with the current CSM kit and I had to scratch the building itch somehow) and built two nondescript Berzerker Characters which are effectively vanilla Berzerkers with redundant weapons. I figure I only need so many bolt pistols out of the Berzerker kit, and since the kit makes 12 models and I only need 10...

...We all know I'm just going to end up building vanilla Zerkers and using these two as sergeants or something...

You could always use the left over guys as Aspring Champions.

TITH I used on of Guilliman's legs to try something out. Basically the idea was to have the gold and blue to follow the same lighting since they're both the same cylinder. I also wanted the light to be stronger towards the primary light source than the secondary, hence the stronger highlight on one side.

hza5vOy.png

Bz6KCBn.png

ACR50CM.png

HfyZdHg.png

TITH I got roughly half of my Vow #2 done!

CMLeKum.jpg

All of that in one day! Even though I spent all day on them, that's quite the accomplishment for me.

Now it's just 10 more models, that I will do in smaller badges/pairs over the next couple of days.

(Yes, I did all of these as one row. Every step. Every colour. I was so focused today... thanks Jes Goodwin and other Voxcast guests!)

LUFeauT.jpg

Also:

Fine Brush and Contrast Paints is an AMAZING combo for Tattoos and the like!

TITH I ordered Guilliman 2: Everchosen Boogaloo, tossed a Noise Marine and the new Imperial Fists book into the cart and then ran errands.

So now I have some extra fine brushes, pipettes and a magnifier headset that does 2-3x magnifiers.

I also had an idea for a chapter of Primaris whonwear skull masks everyone (I plan on kitbashing the Chaplain and Captain for a power armoured Captain for example, and basically everyone wears Reiver helmets/masks) with some lore that they recruit solely from Death Cults making them a chapter that worships the Emperor as a god, plus they sup from their kills. As such I plan on running them as Blood Angels, but I'm struggling on finding a color scheme I like.

So the Knights Mortis are my post Guilliman army project, if I can find a scheme I like first.

Edited by Fulkes

YITHI spray basecoated the rest of my ETL vow, and did the color blocks for their basic colors (cloth, armor, etc).

TITHI applied the shade to the parts of my vow that needed it. Nightshade is such a wonderful color, esp over Fenrisian grey.

I also had an idea for a chapter of Primaris whonwear skull masks everyone (I plan on kitbashing the Chaplain and Captain for a power armoured Captain for example, and basically everyone wears Reiver helmets/masks) with some lore that they recruit solely from Death Cults making them a chapter that worships the Emperor as a god, plus they sup from their kills. As such I plan on running them as Blood Angels, but I'm struggling on finding a color scheme I like.

So the Knights Mortis are my post Guilliman army project, if I can find a scheme I like first.

Those sound like the Mortifactors, but even more crazy :laugh.:

Maybe a colour-scheme involving black and bone? Or if you want to go unusual, since they're essentially a Death Cult, you could go red (Celtic colour of Death) or white (Eastern colour of Death).

Edited by Gederas

I'll admit a white and red quartered scheme sounds neat, though I question if it'll work with the masks or not.

I bugged Darren Latham on Twitter and he offered a novel idea that I'll be lookimg at as well: black but the edge highlights are red (Khorne Red, Mephiston Red and Wild Rider Red (for the brightest spots) built up over each other). I hadn't considered it but the black goes well with bone and I think the "black" can even be bushed further by mixing Khorne Red with black to get a near black shade.

In actual hobby news I got everything mounted on toothpicks, and then did the base blue color on all appropriate parts. Going to start with his foot next and build up each section as I go to ensure the highlights stay consistent.

Edited by Fulkes