Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

I found an example of the look I've been trying to nail...and am spending my time switching between being excited for the Marine update and staring at it in an attempt to learn from it.

TITHI...

primed a box worth of necromunda barricades.

Did a tiny bit of work on Alpharius (not mine, but i am painting him)

Did a tiny it of work on one of the last 2 models for my ETL-VII vow.

Started making repairs to a second hand Ork Deffdread.

TITH I managed to get home from the farm (okay, from the bigger farm to the regular farm) and actually managed to put together a praetor and 25 astartes for my next ETL vow.  And trying to figure out what a dedicated void-trooper regiment would have for backup.  Tanks feel preeeeetty wonky. 

Which is enough before being forced back out to the big farm again.*

*Yeah gets confusing too, but it's better than admitting I live in a county where I just happened to get stuck in two fantasy name-esque locations: Crystal Lake and Glory Hills. . 

TITH I didn't get much done aside from priming my Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought for my World Eaters. Also did a game in the AoS Narrative campaign I'm in (I lost, but I surprised my opponent by gibbing his General in his own Deployment Zone :laugh.:) and tried to get a game in the 40k narrative campaign. Sadly, no one showed up for that. Weeee :laugh.:

TITH I managed to get home from the farm (okay, from the bigger farm to the regular farm) and actually managed to put together a praetor and 25 astartes for my next ETL vow.  And trying to figure out what a dedicated void-trooper regiment would have for backup.  Tanks feel preeeeetty wonky. 

Which is enough before being forced back out to the big farm again.*

*Yeah gets confusing too, but it's better than admitting I live in a county where I just happened to get stuck in two fantasy name-esque locations: Crystal Lake and Glory Hills.

Interesting.... Just make sure you stay out of any camps in the former on a Friday that's the 13th of the month. :wink::laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Tell me about it, Gederas :P  As an equally odd note, the sub-division just up the road has familiar name and a big sign saying, "Welcome to Hill Valley." and I can't help but whistle 'Back in Time' when it whizzes past me on my drive to the highway. 

Glad to hear about the AoS narrative side too (I'm gonna be starting that sometime) buuut too bad about 40K narrative (I'm also gonna be starting that... yeah).  

Oh, also TITH, I read all the new releases for the Codex: Space Marines... as a predominantly Chaos player I keep wanting to cover up my anger by saying, "Just you wait till Horus comes back, then you'll see.  Then you'll ALLLL SEEEE!!" and trying not to get all pouty lipped because I refuse to use gribbly daemon toys or tournament style combinations, but go all legion.  Paraphrasing the great captain Aximand, 'We're outnumbered and outgunned, but when has that ever mattered?'  

Tell me about it, Gederas :tongue.:  As an equally odd note, the sub-division just up the road has familiar name and a big sign saying, "Welcome to Hill Valley." and I can't help but whistle 'Back in Time' when it whizzes past me on my drive to the highway. 

Glad to hear about the AoS narrative side too (I'm gonna be starting that sometime) buuut too bad about 40K narrative (I'm also gonna be starting that... yeah).  

Oh, also TITH, I read all the new releases for the Codex: Space Marines... as a predominantly Chaos player I keep wanting to cover up my anger by saying, "Just you wait till Horus comes back, then you'll see.  Then you'll ALLLL SEEEE!!" and trying not to get all pouty lipped because I refuse to use gribbly daemon toys or tournament style combinations, but go all legion.  Paraphrasing the great captain Aximand, 'We're outnumbered and outgunned, but when has that ever mattered?'  

Yeah, it was fun. Would have gone better if I could have gotten any of my casts or important rolls to actually go off (other than the ones that allowed the Mourngul to maul his general by getting a 10" charge on dice (5 and a 6) and if you anything about Nighthaunt, you know what that means).

But then again, I always seem to roll TERRIBLY every time I'm learning new army :laugh.:

Speaking of the 40k Narrative campaign, I managed to talk my way out of playing Primaris for the campaign (one of the people who was playing Primaris in it got into a car accident, so he's out of commission for the campaign for a bit) by pointing out this: I play Dark Angels, and if I'm using Primaris, that means Hellblasters. You do NOT want Hellblasters, especially Dark Angels Hellblasters, in a 1000 point Zone Mortalis campaign :laugh.:

Also regarding the Codex: Space Marines stuff: Trust me, as a Chaos (World Eaters, Night Lords) and Dark Angels/Deathwatch player, I feel you. Seeing the new stuff just enrages me. Yeah, my Dark Angels get all the cool new stuff, but good lord, some of the stuff we don't get.... Grumble, grumble. :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

TITH I made some more progress on my baby knights :D (i call them my worker bee knights) Legs + main body are done, the plates are all airbrushed. Now the only thing left for my ETL vow is the weapons and detailing.

Did a little test for shading yellow and mamaged something I like. The shadows are still yellow while it builds up fairly strongly. Still a bit more refinement on technique and the shape of the highlight so everything clicks properly, but at least the color issue is finally sorted.

ubcVB1u.png

If we're gonna be so militant on mentioning 'that game' in passing conversation, why don't we just put it on the swear filter already?   :dry.:

TITH, still trying to figure out void-trooper support options.  Elysians have buggies (which don't feel like they fit), Tanks don't feel like they fit either, I'm wondering if Rapiers and Sentinels might be a decent choice.  There's a surprisingly little amount of helpful referential material even outside the hobby that can be used as reference inside it.  At least, material that isn't giant flying space mecha.

Post Scriptum: Turns out I went a little all out today in my farm-break after all.  Put together 20 line troopers, magnetized the weapons on a javelin, put together 7 veterans and kitted them out and added the last plasma gun to my void-clade platoon.  

Tomorrow in the Hobby I hope to have them all pinned and put on cork so I can prime them and enter the next vow with a healthy 100-ish strong vow. 

Edited by Vykes

More helmet tests as I use a prime job gone bad to try some stuff out (I'm just going to use the bare head instead on the model). I feel like I might need more layers of highlights building to a stronger yellow but at least the NMM looks pretty decent.

KsEF1XQ.png

On a related note, using a phone to take pictures of just a model's head is a massive pain in the rear.

After finishing that previous helmey I felt the contrast could be stronger so I grabbed another spare head and took a crack at it:

cnpRk3i.png

HmORnVt.png

Next up will be to try this over a full model and see how it looks.

Well painting hasn't been going well, and I can't find most of the servo skulls in the game.

Might need to take some time off from painting and rethink what I want for my minis.

Edited by Fulkes

thewarriorhunter could you post a few pics of a full squad (or your entire army) i'd love to see the entire bunch of em together.

I don't have too much painted yet because I'm slow, but here's my kill team. If you click into either of my plogs you'll see more pictures with a few shots of full squads.

HO9DJvjh.jpg

TITH I got more work done on my ETL LT and a couple intercessors:

http://i.imgur.com/osehzOIh.jpg