Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Sorcery is learned, it is not tied to the Chaos Gods - with the exception of the natural head-explosions customary to Khornate psykers. - Kazem Eftekhar

I could stand to pick up some Titanicus. That'd let me test Titan and Knight paint jobs, y'know?

Last night, after midnight, so legally TITH, I finished up the first squad of the Wayward Sons of Asromiamun.

So! TITH: Lost my first game of 40k in 18 years hahaha but it was so fun. Red Corsairs vs Ork Freebooters, 500 points for the an escalation league. Our warlords murdered each other and his one surviving model ran off the objective(pirate treasure). Didn’t think it would be this much fun.

My opponent’s write up:

“Dicks Red Corsairs and Davids Freebootaz clashed today in the first round of the league, fighting over a pile of loot in the middle of the desert. It was a very tight and enjoyable game with epic moments and legends being forged. You could almost hear the faint voices of pirates chanting in the distance...

While the Boys were busy choppin up some Marines in the middle of the board, the Jumppack Chaos Lord rampaged through the Orks backline. He then smashed the Skull of the Warboss, only to be torn apart by his deadly klaw in the same instant.

When the last Ork Nob saw his Boss dead, he swiftly grabbed the loot and ran for it, disappearing in the ruins to finally start his own Waaagh.

Chaos (Red Corsairs) 1 : 3 Orks (Freebootaz)

Game ended after 6 turns.

Thanks to my amazing opponent and to Oliver (and others?) for organizing this league.”

TITH I didn't get much painting done instead reveling in finally getting Fallout 3 to work on a Windows 7 machine with an Intel HD card.

Basically it was an endevour worthy of Dorn himself.

Hobby wise though I did work out details on how I'm organizing a very large Imperial Fists army project down to how I plan on doing their markings, company numbers and other details. I'm still experimenting with the paints but I have a set of Shadowspear Primaris I finished building a couple days ago. I won't be finishing them this week due to needing to order my first batch of transfers but I think the paint jobs up to thst point will get finished this week.

I may have made a thing;
truescale_space_marine_by_lpjgpr_ddc8vwg

First time ever working on a truescale model and it definitely shows, but the threads for both Apologist's own Officia Monstrosa and Ryltar Thamior's Vox Stellarum have been huge influences on it for me. It's supposed to represent a mid-Heresy Son of Horus, and hopefully will be the first of, well, not many, but at least a few!

Always happy to see truescale and even happier to see the glorious 16th, Viridia.  Can't wait to see how ya do it!

TITH, I finished up two long neglected Sons of Horus Catulan Reavers/ Black Legion Berserkers.  And as I immediately went to the fridge to get a drink to celebrate the occasion, I snagged a plastic corner of the door rack and put an inch wide gash just below the knuckle that peeled all the skin up and over the joint.  So, they've been properly consecrated to Khorne.

Always happy to see truescale and even happier to see the glorious 16th, Viridia.  Can't wait to see how ya do it!

TITH, I finished up two long neglected Sons of Horus Catulan Reavers/ Black Legion Berserkers.  And as I immediately went to the fridge to get a drink to celebrate the occasion, I snagged a plastic corner of the door rack and put an inch wide gash just below the knuckle that peeled all the skin up and over the joint.  So, they've been properly consecrated to Khorne.

Eep, just reading that made me wince. I hope it heals up quickly.

More color tests. I'm not really like how thin Model Color Flat Yellow is for glazing over a darker yellow (Desert Yellow on the leg), but undershading with brown worked nicely.

I need to test the yellow over a tan color for an idea I have, but I think I can do a decent zenithal shade with brown for a good effect.

nslAxOs.png

Thanks Magos Takatus, as long as I'm not blessed by Nurgle I'll probably be fine. I hate Nurgle in every way.

Well, despite the blooding and depite the way uncomfortable temperature swing of like 10C to 30+C, TITH I did most of my ETL Luna Wolf drop-naughts. Just got one more layer of rust to go on the base and quadruple varnish the top of the dread where the magnets will attach with the cyclone havoc launchers.

Well, got that done.

I hate boxnauts, but they'll fit into a cheap 30K drop pod where I don't want to spend the points or money on the Contemptors and their 3 times as costly versions.

gallery_107230_14721_96442.jpg

Edited by Vykes

LNITH (I never remember to post before I go to bed)

I pulled out some on sprue scouts and a Land Speeder Storm to try and sell.

I also continued decal work on my Gideon tanks. Unfortunately I have to pause them for over a month as my German tank decals will arrive during my 3 week camping trip with the Army lol. But they are looking better with the decals. Guess I will move back the infantry to finish them.

Edited by SickSix

Y/TITH I've been working on this gentleman:

6YI4ZV6.png

Yellow was done by layering progressive mixes from Mahogany Brown (a warm brown) to Flat Yellow which gave the color a warm golden tone just running it over white lacked.

I haven't been impressed by the Model Color flesh paints though so I'll be breaking out my GW pots to redo the head with.

I really like the Grey Black though, and I used it for marking out everything I want to be steel or black later.

Edited by Fulkes

R(ecently)itH I acquired a Caestus Assault Ram for my 30K VIth Legion. It's such a cool model and concept (very metal, literally slamming the thing into the enemy) that I had to have one. Shame they went oop.

TitH I got a copy of The Lost and the Damned without paying scalper prices. I don't think I'm going to be so lucky with the next 6 given I work saturday mornings.

My first box of Custodian Guard arrived today, and they are some of the best models I own now. Love 'em. I built one as a Shield-Captain, two with Guardian Spears, two with Sentinel Blades and Storm Shields. I intend to pick up another box of them, build four Guardian Spears and a Sentinel Blade, so I have three full squads and a Shield-Captain. Then I'll be picking up a box of Wardens, build three Wardens and two Vexilla (using Vexillus parts from one or both Guardian boxes) and then that's pretty much that. I also intend to pick up a box of Allarus Terminators, a pack of the jetbikes, a Contemptor and a Land Raider later on. Then and only then will I pick up Trajann Valoris, as a capstone to my collection.

And so begins the chronicle of the Shield-Company of the Azure Bastion. Enemies of the Imperium, beware.

Darklined the armour with Agrax Earthshade, and knocked out an urban camo scheme to balance the yellow armour.

qubOq3h.png

JmB3mLL.png

UDXonQq.png

Decided that if I ever want to make decent progress on this army I'm going to skip trying NMM and do TMM. That said, I am getting closer to finishing with the base colors and highlights until I xan come back and do the weathering and metals.

I think I will do the Librarian next.

TITH I played a no Maelstrom Sudden Death game of 40K against Space Wolves/Raven Guard, and lost the objective game but wiped out the entire army. It was a ton of fun, especially using some of my old ooooold jungle terrain and newer mech terrain. I'm feeling super nostalgic for 3E. Garagehammer on a nice day with the doors open. Loooovely.

gallery_107230_14721_9392.jpeg

Also got my Anvil heads in to make up some void-clade soldiers for 30K/40K, and put together the first 10 to see if they would work... Now, how to organize 50 of them.

gallery_107230_14721_75050.jpeg

Edited by Vykes

Also got my Anvil heads in to make up some void-clade soldiers for 30K/40K, and put together the first 10 to see if they would work... Now, how to organize 50 of them. 

These are great Vykes! Are they the Gothic Void variety? Definitely work very effectively with those bodies.

TITH the weather finally cooled down a bit so i got some work in for my ETL vow and slapped some more greenstuff on the bases, everything is ready to be primed and painted (wich i will do sunday)

I dunked my models into simple green and am spending the day at my FLGS for their store birthday (not a GW so no models).

Basically I hit a point where I wasn't really liking how the models were coming out.

To explain, here's a recent photo of a model I painted last year:

el0vkHM.jpg

Anyone who remembers this guy knows that the yellow, while rather rich, was fairly flat with a lot of focus on the weatheting and decals. Since I now have a smartphone I tried getting a new picture of him but I was having trouble with the lighting with my apartment so I stood him on my bed near the window and let the sun do the work.

And I honestly love that look of the model has strong saturated color with the deep shadows that desaturate down to into darker tones. To me it feels kind of like a Baroque painting honestly I want to emulate the same. It'd look good on a character model alone, and even on a unit lined up on a movement tray would look pretty darn good too (in my opinion).

So yeah, I'm starting over on what I was working on because I honestly want to make this my own intentional thing instead of an accident of lighting.

Totally nailed it in one, Chaeron, them's the Gothic Void helmets. Absolutely incredible (and the heavy armour arms work pretty well, too), especially given how worried I was that they wouldn't fit properly in the tiny gorget sockets on the genestealer cult armour. Aaaanyway, I have 30 of them built right now, aiming for the last 20 once I figure out how I'm gonna run them. Then they'll be part of the next ETL vow (as traitor grendier for 30K).

Heretic marauders as 'Heretek' sounds great for 40K but then I'm limited to just 3 squads supporting my Cthonic 297th (Escher militia cultists). Not bad, just I wish I could use them all as something but more chaos means more autoguns and less shotguns. Hmmph.

That is a very rich oil-esque painting, Fulkes, and the tight sharp use of decals really gets the focal point. across along with that blue on the canister. I know what you mean that sometimes it is about trying to replicate 'mistakes' or 'effects' caused by other mediums. I wish I could help but the only things I'd be able to say would be kinda trifling: Black and white zenithal priming (Or better yet, purple and white) then your rich air'ink to get the yellow, followed by a soft oil wash. Might be able to replicate it. hard to say and depends how 'clean' you want to go.

Well, I guess I should have a 'TITH', so today in the hobby I worked on my void-clade regiment, painted some deathwatch, worked on a white scar, aaaaaaaand mostly worked up a conversion for a forgefiend/maulerfiend in 30K style. Still got some more bits to glue on but yeah.

gallery_107230_14721_119424.jpg

Other side

gallery_107230_14721_106508.jpg

What's funny about the model is that's all GW acrylics. But "oil painting" is a good description for the feel I'm chasing.

I have some ideas nicked from OSL I'm considering but I have to work some stuff out involving NMM and destaturated colors.

I'm thinking that movement trays will be my friend when it comes to making the units look like a cohesive unit with a light source coming from the same direction.

Edited by Fulkes