Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

I don't have the pics, but I just finished building 5 wraithguard.

It's been a building weekend- yesterday I finished a farseer and 5 rangers; Saturday was 5 Wracks and 5 Dire Avengers.

I'll post all the pics tomorrow. Twenty one models in a weekend. Wish I was as good at painting- I still have 32 minis committed to but not painted from last year. Still felt good to build something though.

… started work on the old style Cadian Defence Force I nabbed off eBay for just forty(!) quid a few weeks back.

IMG_3687.thumb.jpeg.9d33ef7820781779c150bd7490a94061.jpeg

I started by building the Leman Russ as a Vanquisher. Yeah, I know they aren’t exactly “en vogue” but I’ve always liked the look. However, the turret you get in the kit just isn’t long enough for my liking, so I kitbashed it together with the standard Russ turret to extend it. It looks a bit rough right now with all the glue but once primed it’ll be smooth enough.

I also had to kitbash a pintle mount for the storm bolter, because the CDF doesn't give you two and I need the pintle in the box for a heavy stubber on the Chimera.

IMG_3686.thumb.jpeg.cf8b7940f88879c948b26f0866eee361.jpeg

Oh and I also kitbashed a platoon commander, because the box was incomplete and didn’t come with a command squad. I used the tank commander, spare infantry legs and power fist, and a 2nd edition space marine plasma pistol.

All in all I’ll be able to get the Leman Russ, a Chimera, an infantry squad, HWS and command unit out of this box with a little help from some of my existing spare parts.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

TITH I (partly) broke my vow not to start any new army. 3 times (partly):

1. I ordered the KT Nightmare box, giving me acess to the NL squad and Mandrakes. The CSM might "perfectly" stay as a KT and not call for more units. But the Mandrake scream out (psychicaly as they do not look like they have mouths) at min for an Ynnari extension to my Aeldari... Seep striking Ravager and Raider are appelling too... hum
  2. I ordered a GSC Patrol before it is replaced. The 20 Neophites and the Truck will be eprfect for tooling up a home made regiment for the Imperial guard armoured fist and make the deal attractive per se. Head swapping with all these Skitarii Vanguards bitz probably. But once you have Abherrants and Acolytes with this Mago, it will be tricky not to succomb to the call of the 4 armed Emperor... After all, they went out "gratis" or almost vs. buying individually 2 boxes of Neophytes + the Goliath. Valid as an excuse?

Unless the unused sprues remain in my Pile of Shame until they are traded or swapped with other fellow gamers (this is how I convince myself that it is (only) a partial violation of my objectives..). But I am a weak mind...   :facepalm:

Currently working on my Eldar Avatar. I was a cheapskate and bought one somebody else had assembled. This was a mistake in hindsight as you really want to paint this guy before adding things like the loincloth and even some of the armour pieces. 

20240331_105528~2.jpg

Bought a box of Hellblasters last week as an early birthday present to myself, got half of them assembled.  Today, I got my magnets and ferrous sheets in the mail, so I've been gluing the magnets to bases and getting my Duncan-style army boxes squared away.

It's finally warm enough and dry enough here that I feel safe to spraypaint, so a lot of stuff is going to be getting a basecoat soon.

No photos, but yesterday me and a bud took 2nd in a 40K team tournament -- Ultras & Iron Hands.  We lost to Orks & World Eaters by like five points, but then beat Orks & Votann by like, seven points and Necrons & Death Guard by three.

Today I finished going through a T'au lot I picked up on eBay for a solid price a couple weeks back. Lots of built models and partial sprues to go through, but it net me about 1000 (current) points of stuff!

TITHI processed and assembled some printed parts for a RT Rhino! I still need to decide what I'm going to do it up as, but I am very happy with the thing, some slightly dodgy supports getting fused to the tracks aside (which was my fault). Torn between a Chaos Rhino, Chaos Predator or a Sisters Immolator.RhinoPrint1.jpg.4346a177fcbb003c5a2c2347ea68f293.jpg

RhinoPrint2.jpg.fdf38751fd5a6951f3bbc964f7fb912b.jpg

(Shown here with a WIP original plastic Mk. 1 Rhino)

It's a new day, technically, so it counts!

TITHI did a lot more work on making this Chaos Predator. Most of the components (anything in that denim blue colour) are printed resin. The skulls and commander are GW plastic, and the spiky bits (which will be done as welded on steel spikes rather than anything more esoteric, as I like the idea this is Mad Max/Pacific Campaign style improvised anti-infantry defences as much as a declaration of faith to Chaos) are cocktail sticks. I'm going to paint a Korean War style scary monster face on the front glacis, which should have this thing looking properly freaky!

PredatorWIP1.jpg.373a5e4e6ba7d9a57e5b8997bf173a4e.jpgPredatorWIP2.jpg.bce81b1c9e9b1b59494b41ee27d8b5c1.jpgPredatorWIP3.jpg.5b993f8adbeb0d400342d18c06b31203.jpgPredatorWIP4.jpg.6481c63d44f711d8ab29d98d96df674d.jpg

6 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

It's a new day, technically, so it counts!

TITHI did a lot more work on making this Chaos Predator. Most of the components (anything in that denim blue colour) are printed resin. The skulls and commander are GW plastic, and the spiky bits (which will be done as welded on steel spikes rather than anything more esoteric, as I like the idea this is Mad Max/Pacific Campaign style improvised anti-infantry defences as much as a declaration of faith to Chaos) are cocktail sticks. I'm going to paint a Korean War style scary monster face on the front glacis, which should have this thing looking properly freaky!

PredatorWIP1.jpg.373a5e4e6ba7d9a57e5b8997bf173a4e.jpgPredatorWIP2.jpg.bce81b1c9e9b1b59494b41ee27d8b5c1.jpgPredatorWIP3.jpg.5b993f8adbeb0d400342d18c06b31203.jpgPredatorWIP4.jpg.6481c63d44f711d8ab29d98d96df674d.jpg

All it needs is some cheese and some pickled onions :)

5 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Today in the hobby i accidentally purchased the Solar Auxilia box, two more Leman Russ Assault tanks, and some other assorted goodies.

Apparently I'm expanding the guard.

Have you contacted the help desk? I heard the GW site is having cart issues, but that's ridonkulous.

:devil:

6 minutes ago, The Yncarne said:

Have you contacted the help desk? I heard the GW site is having cart issues, but that's ridonkulous.

:devil:

IF ONLY I COULD BLAME THEM!  Unfortunately all of this "Accidental purchasing" came in a late night bout of "Hey man I've got some good deals".  Layer on some late night vice-imbibing, and, well, Solar Auxilia, here we come.

TITH I have been applying decals to Cataphractii terminators.

Currently awaiting a second coat of Microsol before getting matte varnish and the remainder of the colours blocking in. The varnish at least should happen tomorrow.

There’s still 10 Cataphractii still in bare plastic as well. I might try and prime them tomorrow too.

IMG_4602.jpeg

TITH I started sketching out and building parts lists to change the look of the chapter in my signature. I've got a harebrained scheme to treat Phobos armour as Mk IX power armour, and create a standard Tactical Squad, including a lascannon and a plasma gun, but using the Phobos units as 'true-scale' marines.

I don't suppose anyone has a Phobos marine and a Devastator lascannon they'd be willing to do a comparison shot of for me...? :sweat:

2 hours ago, Timberley said:

TITH I started sketching out and building parts lists to change the look of the chapter in my signature. I've got a harebrained scheme to treat Phobos armour as Mk IX power armour, and create a standard Tactical Squad, including a lascannon and a plasma gun, but using the Phobos units as 'true-scale' marines.

I don't suppose anyone has a Phobos marine and a Devastator lascannon they'd be willing to do a comparison shot of for me...? :sweat:

Don't have any devastator lascannons, but my intention was to put together some Devastator squads using Intercessor bodies and the HH heavy weapons kit - maybe those kits could be a good source of weapons for you, too?  I have not test fit them myself but I have heard that the arms that come in the kit are only slightly smaller than intercessor arms, might make them a perfect fit for Phobos?

TITH I finished assembling my Hellblasters.  I've got 10 of them, 10 infiltrators, 10 assault intercessors, 5 heavy intercessors, 3 eradicators, 3 bladeguard, company heroes, and a smattering of characters that need to get sprayed with their basecoat.  I need to milliput a few seams here and there, but I've got sunday off and the forecast says 70 degrees and 30% humidity, so looking good for getting that done this weekend.

Edited by Moonstalker

Finally got started on the best model in the Aeldari range. I meant to document the whole process but I got carried away painting fire.

large.PXL_20240419_0318246673.jpg.2e57508fe43b6102c26627570c5536f8.jpg

The rocky bits are a bit dull so I'll probably add some red glazing to warm them up, but it's a start.