Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

After seeing your hobby output recently I'm looking forward to this Avatar reaching completion. As one of my favourite elements of the Eldar range I have an unreasonable amount of love for the miniature. You're making me want to start my own but I've got too many outstanding projects currently to start another.

19 hours ago, Moonstalker said:

Don't have any devastator lascannons, but my intention was to put together some Devastator squads using Intercessor bodies and the HH heavy weapons kit - maybe those kits could be a good source of weapons for you, too?  I have not test fit them myself but I have heard that the arms that come in the kit are only slightly smaller than intercessor arms, might make them a perfect fit for Phobos?

TITH I finished assembling my Hellblasters.  I've got 10 of them, 10 infiltrators, 10 assault intercessors, 5 heavy intercessors, 3 eradicators, 3 bladeguard, company heroes, and a smattering of characters that need to get sprayed with their basecoat.  I need to milliput a few seams here and there, but I've got sunday off and the forecast says 70 degrees and 30% humidity, so looking good for getting that done this weekend.

I am considering the HH kits, to give them a bit more of an esoteric look.  I might see if anyone's doing a cheap single on Ebay to give it a test fit. Thanks for the info on the arms too!

Decent sounding army you're painting too!  I'm finally finishing my own combi-weapon lieutenant to add to my chapter roster, including mixing my own purple for Leviathan carapace (1:1 Thousand Sons Blue: Khorne Red if anyone's interested) as I don't have a purple in my collection!

1 minute ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

I have used a few HH weapons on my Firstborn Devastator Squads and they look pretty good. I'd say go for it. 

No one post any more pictures of Avatars or I'll fold and end up starting another project I can't afford!

Well I was going to post an update since I spent a couple of hours working on his well defined backside but I suppose I'll hold off for the sake of your wallet

8 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Very jealous…

They are getting cheaper and cheaper now... 

Hell just being able to print pads when I need is super convenient , And I am not locked into 5 basic bodies for stuff like Inters.

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley

5 minutes ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

They are getting cheaper and cheaper now... 

Hell just being able to print pads when I need is super convenient , And I am not locked into 5 basic bodies for stuff like Inters.

Yeah that would be amazing. I keep looking at all the sites that do custom bits etc and would love to be able to print my own… they are cheaper now but it’s still at that price where I can’t justify buying one unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Yeah that would be amazing. I keep looking at all the sites that do custom bits etc and would love to be able to print my own… they are cheaper now but it’s still at that price where I can’t justify buying one unfortunately.

Spent about £800 in total over 3 printers. But given what I have printed on one thing it would have cost me over £500 from GW... about £30 total.

13 hours ago, Trysanna said:

Well I was going to post an update since I spent a couple of hours working on his well defined backside but I suppose I'll hold off for the sake of your wallet

Good to know the Eldar god of war still managed to keep top tier glutes. :teehee:

TITHI have had my T'au Combat Patrol and Stealth Suits turn up and I'm excited about the hobby again (I think upscale MkIV and/or Tartaros as well as stuff to make Grey Slayers would reinvigorate my hobby too but they're not here, yet).

I'm thinking about picking up all the T'au Codices (I'm sure I may have the original one somewhere) and keeping an eye out for the Taros Campaign book for the lore.

I'm working on fleshing out my idea for a Cadre based around Stealth Teams, Pathfinders and a Rapid Reaction Force of Breachers/Strike Teams in Fish with XV-8.

I'm pretty excited!

last few days in the hobby - very time limited at the moment

day 1

Built and base coated the model of the month Terminator (my son managed to get me one on his travels - first time ever I have had one and it is a DW terminator too! Very chuffed!) and a blade guard lieutenant from imperium magazine

Day 2
Base thin layer of wraithbone on both models 

Day 3

Painted the undersuit/piping - going well, not slips

Painted the red details, aquila/DW symbols etc - still good. Painted the halo details above chapter symbols/skull on the sholder pads. it has all gone horribly wrong. :biggrin:

Ok, not that bad but my dexterity has clearly taken more of a knock than I thought - arthritis is a pain in the.... hands! (and feet, hips, knees - meds are good though and I am at least fairly functional these days).

Contrast paints/organic models are definitely easier than the crisper lines needed on armour/details and I have been greatly enjoying painting Nids and looking forward to more orks at some point so can enjoy a lot of the hobby easily still. It'd be nice to be able to work on my Marines a bit more easily

Apparently the next few days will be doing more touching up of base layer than I was hoping but I will block in the other basics first 

These two are meant to be the test models for my DW assault box - I may dig out more bladeguard from my pile of shame and/or some older terminators for practice at this rate.

Got my eight Venerable Dreadnoughts finished. I know there not brilliant but I am quite pleased with them. Very satisfied to cross this chunk of painting off my list too. 

20240424_085215.jpg

20240424_085235.jpg

20240424_085207.jpg

All Sixteen of my Castaferrum together.20240424_090455.thumb.jpg.c50950f8c0b2c1e3f3a934a13a03c340.jpg

17 hours ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

Got my eight Venerable Dreadnoughts finished. I know there not brilliant but I am quite pleased with them. Very satisfied to cross this chunk of painting off my list too. 

20240424_085215.jpg

20240424_085235.jpg

20240424_085207.jpg

All Sixteen of my Castaferrum together.20240424_090455.thumb.jpg.c50950f8c0b2c1e3f3a934a13a03c340.jpg

What's better than dreadnoughts? MORE DREADNOUGHTS!
Really getting a "You came to the wrong neighbourhood, Heretic" vibe with them all ganged up like that. Good job!

… bagged two boxes worth of heresy special weapon sprues (minus the flamers) for a fiver!! So none of the stuff I don’t want and double the stuff I do want, for less than a quarter the price of a single box.

eBay has been kind to me recently …

Edit: I also built a chimera in under an hour - that’s a record tank build for me :)

Edited by TheArtilleryman

Sounds like you got some bargains their dude.

I think the quickest tank I built was a Predator in 45 minutes. It was the 14th one though so I was well practiced at that point. Really don't think I could pull that off again or routinely though. 

Today in the hobby my first box of potential has been opened … I am officially joining the Heresy club:

IMG_3759.thumb.jpeg.bbc03ca696ed3b0f3d17c5541f145cb1.jpeg

There’s nothing like a new massive project to get your teeth into :) This lot will mostly be Raven Guard, and soon I’m expecting another pike of potential to show up for the traitor legions. 

Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Only time will tell …

My penultimate Asault Squad. To make them different to my other Asauly Squads I added rocks to the base as decoration (from a UK company called Gamers Grass). Quite pleased with them abd hopefully I'll get them painted up soon. 

20240502_135509.jpg

20240502_135549.jpg

20240502_135526.jpg

20240502_135610.jpg

A Firstborn Captain on Bike too. 20240502_151731.thumb.jpg.abdacf56d4f8a9e888f614c5d4a248ae.jpg