=][= E Tenebrae Lux II =][=

Absolutely Hasdrubal! The first consideration is to complete your vow to the standard you're happy with. Large, Tital-sized items take a lot of time, it's only natural... DO NOT RUSH IT! :)

I know the Apocalypse pre-orders went up today, so wont be available for a couple of weeks but I am wondering...

The fortifications/buildings such as the Wall of Martyrs: Firestorm Redoubt, Vengeance Weapon Batteries and Aquila Strongpoint will all have rules/points values in their box for WH40k. If we try and make them specific to our faction could we include them in the ETL?

I realise they are new and maybe better kept for a future painting event. They just look so good!

I know the Apocalypse pre-orders went up today, so wont be available for a couple of weeks but I am wondering...

The fortifications/buildings such as the Wall of Martyrs: Firestorm Redoubt, Vengeance Weapon Batteries and Aquila Strongpoint will all have rules/points values in their box for WH40k. If we try and make them specific to our faction could we include them in the ETL?

I realise they are new and maybe better kept for a future painting event. They just look so good!

Ruling was you can have fortifications as long as you paint/convert them up to match your army.

Where do the rules stand on basing?

I've seen lots of "finished" models on blank black bases with no effort made to finish the model off.  IMO a model isn't finished if the base hasn't been done.  All it takes is a bit of glue and sand at the very basic level.

Clarification would be welcome.

=][= SEVENTH WEEKLY UPDATE =][=

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/ETL_2013_Poster_00.jpg

We’re past the mid-point of the event. It’s been a productive week with completions increasing by 25% over the last week and right now we have collectively painted more than 40k pts (!) and still going strong.

Finishing your first vows the earliest possible is still the way to go. Despite having a lot of brave brothers that are in their second or subsequent vows (appropriately enough we have a BT in his 5th and final vow) the game will be won by high first vow completion rate. So all those with incomplete first vows, especially the ones with the more manageable ones of less than 500pts, make the effort and complete ASAP! You’ll help your faction in a very meaningful way! You can then fight one with a second vow (if you feel like it) or stay back, you mission complete, and wait for the curtain to drop in a month and a half.

Which brings us to the final point: time! We’re now entering the second half of the event. Yes, we only have a month and a half to go – so if you do plan to re-vow please consider the element of time.

Always remember: IF YOU FAIL IN YOUR SECOND OR ANY SUBSEQUENT VOW THEN ALL PREVIOUS VOWS ARE NULLIFIED AND COUNT FOR NOTHING. So make sure you’ll have adequate time to finish before you up the stakes!

E TENEBRAE LUX II – Week 7
Black Templars [56] 64 53,311 833 3,889 7.3%
Blood Angels [38] 46 38,047 827 4,347 11.4%
Dark Angels [63] 87 65,485 753 14,705 22.5%
Codex Chapters [62] 71 53,721 757 6,641 12.4%
Space Wolves [39] 44 34,101 775 3,140 9.2%
Chaos Legios [48] 57 42,433 744 4,099 9.7%
Vive Imperium [27] 29 27,822 959 2,355 8.5%
Horus Heresy [16] 18 14,629 813 1,541 10.5%
Total [349] 416 329,549 792 40,717 12.4%

BLACK TEMPLARS
I’m not gonna lie… The BTs are the weak link so far. They have the resources, they have pledged the points – they even have an impressive 64 vows! And yet their completion rate is the smallest overall (a meagre 7.3%) and below the ETL average, which translates to just 3.9k points… Seriously, where is the zeal brothers? It’s not like you have not made the vows – this would be understandable after last year’s super-performance. It’s just procrastination (and maybe some RL issues too)… If you were to have the average completion rate you’d be second by now instead of fourth! If you were to show your signature trait of exceptional zeal, I bet you’d be leading right now. At least you still have the time to recover. With a month and a half ahead of us everything can change. But the first thing that must change is your completion rate.

BLOOD ANGELS
The Blood Angels display an orderly progress and follow the developments of the ETL closely. With a completion rate slightly below the ETL average it means they are making good use of their resources and the results show. They are currently third behind the DAs and the Codex, which is fine considering the phase of the event and the fact that they have fewer resources than their primary rivals. However, at some point they need to cover this disadvantage and produce higher than average completion rates. Still, good show so far – but more will be needed to improve or even maintain your position!

DARK ANGELS
The Dark Angels are really leading this event. They are putting a safe(?) distance between them and their rivals and they still keep going. They have the largest completion rate of the event, which means they are making better use of their already superior resources… This is also highlighted by the fact that they have the lowest average vow – meaning that on average they have more manageable tasks to fulfil. But things can still go wrong. A slow week can turn the tables and their power hungry rivals may close the distance or even take the lead. Especially if some super vows that I’ve seen around report completions… So great stuff so far, but relax and you’re done for! The key is to see some more first vows completing!

CODEX CHAPTERS
Well, recovery at last! The interesting thing is that the counter attack came from the UMs and the Liber – instead from the more numerous IA! In fact the IA did not contribute any points this week – no completions. As things stand now, the Codex faction has an above average completion rate, two fairly active sub-forums and a really big pool of points and participants in the IA forum. If those guys start reporting it’s going to be a game changer! But they do have to get some completions under their belt in the next week – or else the difference might be too big to cover. Remember, we’re halfway there…

SPACE WOLVES
Some progression took place this week, but let’s face it: It’s not enough. With only 3.1k pts completed and a completion rate below the ETL average it’s not really the way to go. You need some more completions of the first vows and drive the completion rate north and way above the ETL average if you’re to mitigate your inherent lack of resources. No need for super large vows (although they’d be welcome). Just finish what you’ve vowed for and then try to vow again with preferably more point-rich vows. But tenacity will do it for you guys in the end. Even with similar average vow, if you go for at least three vows each, you’ll be there with the big forces of the ETL. It takes some planning, that’s all…

CHAOS LEGIOS
Yes, some progress here too, but with a completion rate of less than 10% it really shows a lag. Remember guys, first vow completions are tremendously important. You do not have the number of participants to be casual about it. You really need those first vows in – and then some second vows too. As it happens, the BTs and the BAs are close-by but the Codex and the DAs are really putting some distance. You still have the time to close it. A good week can be a game changer – just don’t let procrastination to settle in. If you were to have the average completion rate that would be another 1k+ pts and would put you firmly in the third position and just a small distance from the more populous Codex faction! If you aim high, you’ll need an above average completion rate. Let’s see those Traitors building up!

VIVE IMPERIUM
Thank the Emperor for the Guard. With a couple of completions this week, the Vive faction is still in the game. The IG seems determined to put some serious weight in the ETL effort but needs support from the other forums too. I think the GKs are close to report a couple of completions and even the Mechanicum will probably be adding some serious reinforcements soon. Which begs the question: where are the Sisters? They are an important part of the Vive and a lot is expected of them, but so far they are lagging. Regardless, there is only one way to go: FORWARD!

HORUS HERESY
Update after update, completions and quality of painting is the order of the day here! True their numbers are few but the commitment is huge. Frequent updates and a lot of ideas exchange make the HH Strategium a very lively place to be! I have the feeling that next week will see a jump in their completion rate – and remember: you aim high here! 100% completion rate is about right!

=][= EIGHTH WEEKLY UPDATE =][=

Now, firmly into the second half of the ETL, participants have reported completions in the region of 54k pts and a completion rate north of 16%.

This week saw a very special event: the completion of a Titan! A titan is a rare occurance for the B&C logs in any case but this is the first ever to be completed within the confines of the ETL! I think Brother Callius earned a place in History and his fame will live forever in the annals of the ETL! If you’d like to take a look, here’s pics of the finished model!

Now I’m repeating my usual comment: finishing your first vows the earliest possible is the way to go. Your vow may seem small and you may think that finishing it or not will not impact the big picture but you couldn’t be more wrong! The completion of the first vows is the key to success. Yes there are those with the mega vows and those who will vow and vow again successfully. But the key to victory (or a good placement) will depend on the completion rate of the first vow.

And for those who have vowed again or intend to submit their second vow please remember: IF YOU FAIL IN YOUR SECOND OR ANY SUBSEQUENT VOW THEN ALL PREVIOUS VOWS ARE NULLIFIED AND COUNT FOR NOTHING. So make sure you’ll have adequate time to finish before you up the stakes!

ALSO CHECK THE LISTS IN THE FIRST POST IN EACH STRATEGIUM AND MAKE SURE YOUR STATUS IS CORRECTLY REPRESENTED. IF NOT LET ME KNOW!

E TENEBRAE LUX II – Week 8
Black Templars [56] 65 54,138 833 5,765 10.6%
Blood Angels [38] 49 39,417 804 4,772 12.1%
Dark Angels [63] 91 67,426 741 15,455 22.9%
Codex Chapters [62] 75 55,841 745 8,501 15.2%
Space Wolves [39] 45 35,811 796 6,188 17.3%
Chaos Legios [48] 60 43,373 723 6,308 14.5%
Vive Imperium [27] 29 27,822 959 5,830 21.0%
Horus Heresy [16] 18 14,629 813 1,541 10.5%
Total [350] 432 338,457 783 54,360 16.1%

BLACK TEMPLARS
I want to paint a pretty picture here – but I can’t. Yes there were some completions this week but the lowest completion rate of the ETL speaks for itself. The BT’s seem to be veeeeery slow to mobilize despite some super heroic efforts by some of their numbers! Look, there is nothing to prevent you from winning this. It’s all a matter of fulfilling the vows you’ve already made. A high completion rate on the first vows (currently a meager 7%) is all it takes. Rise this to 12% (a rate that many of your rivals have already achieved) and you’d be comfortably in the second position right now with more than 8k pts, scheming and plotting how to get to first... C’mon guys, just do it!

BLOOD ANGELS
Again the BAs showed progress but given the general surge forward of many factions this week was not enough to keep them at par with their rivals. Their completion rate at 12% is now below the average of the ETL and their lack of numbers means that there is no time to relax. So get some of your first vows done, because yours is a faction that will need second and subsequent vows more than others. Truth being said you already have some of your ranks working on subsequent vows already (some quite big) but the first vows is what will define you the steady base on which to build. So let’s see the fist vow completion rate rise.

DARK ANGELS
The Dark Angels look in a really good place right now. All their metrics are supportive of this as is their absolute performance. So, highest completion rate of the event (23%) highest completion rate of first vows among the leading factions (21%), the second lowest average vow and of course the highest total completions with a 100% more than the second. The only problem that might arise? Overextending their resources! So keep completing the first vows but make double sure you have ample time for the second of subsequent vows – because now you carry the weight of a lot of points...

CODEX CHAPTERS
Codex continued its good performance maintaining some momentum. However, their completion rate remains marginally below the ETL average. There are some large (multi k) vows close to completion but I think it’s the sheer numbers that do it for them. If we break this down we’ll see that the UMs outperforme the other two forums with completion rate or 22.4% vs. 14.6% for the IA and 10.5% for the Liber. I think the Codex still has what it takes to win this and, being firmly in the second place, all it needs is a really good week to close the distance with the DAs.

SPACE WOLVES
The Wolves strike back! With some timely completions and a completion rate exceeding the average of the ETL they have made themselves felt! Right now they are ranked 4th and sure have a strong momentum... Their relatively high average vow is also a good sign that they have some serious staying power. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate MJ – SW1’s brother, for the commitment he showed and the excellent result he produced. Well done mate! Right, what will make SWs safe now is for some first vow completions fast – because their relatively few numbers mean that a larger portion of them should vow for a second time (maybe even a third time to turn the odds to their favor). Will week 9 be the turning point?

CHAOS LEGIOS
Right. The good news first: You guys are ranked 3rd. Now the bad news: You’re only ca 200pts ahead from the SWs who are fourth – a difference that can be closed in days... Your completion rate is below the average of the ETL meaning that your resources are partially utilized (and you do not have that many to be frivolous about it). Lastly (and this seem to be a problem especially when combined with the modest completion rate) your average vow is the smallest in the ETL. This can be addressed by either vowing more point-rich vows or by a higher turnover of smaller vows –i.e. early completions and re-vowing. Be that as it may you’re facing the Codex faction, which although not so far ahead in terms of completions at the moment, it enjoys numerical superiority cancelling out the (also) low average vow and below average completion rate.

VIVE IMPERIUM
A combined effort of the GKs supported by the mighty War Gods of the Mechanicum made the Vive Imperium faction surge forward in a significant way this week! The GK managed to show the will of the Emperor is not to be denied and showed some spectacular results exceeding 2k pts worth of completions. And yes ladies and gentlemen we had a completion of a TITAN - the first ever within the ETL! Congratulations Brother Callius for completing this monster and at such high standards in just a couple of months. It just proves that all it takes is commitment and some planning ahead. On the other front, the IG did not contribute anything this week (probably re-loading following a very productive week 7) but still with a lot of grit to show going forward. Which begs the question: WHERE ARE THE SISTERS??? Seriously, the SoBs have committed for a hefty 6.2k pts and have yet to deliver a single completion! I think we should send an Inquisitor to check out what sort of Heresy is going on there...

HORUS HERESY
A lot of progress here although no completions this week. Still not to worry, the HH forum is hard at work churning out amazing quality stuff, enjoying the journey as they go along. Nothing to add here apart from inviting everyone to pay a visit to the HH Strategium and enjoy the beautiful models that are displayed there!

Yes I do. biggrin.png

I'll edit them here later though as I'm in the beach right now, with the iPad and the wife is giving me THAT look... unsure.png

Lol ... Put down the electronic equipment and go rub some lotion on the wife's back ... Maybe an ice cream or something cold and refreshing.

Have fun at the beach. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I do keep the data - however they are not easily reproduced...

Now let's see how long will it take for the site to fully recover, and keep posting completions... I'll update my spreadsheet and keep everything under control and hopefully everything will be back soon. :)

=][= SPECIAL UPDATE 2 =][=

As you may have noticed the site suffered another blow, resulting in the (hopefully temporary) deletion of the posts of the last two weeks. I imagine this will be corrected before long but I do not, at this point, have have a clear view as to when.

So how do we proceed? Well, it's business as usual! Report your completions and I will update my private records so all the data will be there. I will not be updating the front page though until the problem is fully resolved. I will continue with the weekly updates of course and with the detailed conclusion of the entire event - even if the problems with the site persisit until then!

So I only have one thing to say:

ONWARD BROTHERS! THIS IS NOT OVER YET!!!

With the level of detail and all the graphs that we've seen, it's obvious that Cap'n Semper has some sort of a spreadsheet going.

From what little I understand of data recovery, there is a chance that anything posted between now and resolution may be lost.  

Captain, how do you want us to handle this?  I have pictures of all my before and afters uploaded to my photobucket account, but I haven't posted the last before picture (but I've started and nearly finished painting) because the downtime yesterday.  

Should we just stand fast on this and be ready when word is given?  

Let us know.

Paul

Guys the only real impact will be that the first page will not be updated until everything comes back. But that's about it. Nothing you've reported so far has been lost and I will continue to take in completions and provide the next (and last) weekly update as normal. Then I'm going to give the summary like last year and all the awards where they are due. So keep posting completions  - just don't expect to show on the first page.

@ Paul: You have faith in the inner Circle... and so you should for the Sons of the Lion leave nothing to luck... As regards your latest voew just provide before and after pics in the same post. That's the simple straight forward thing to do. Regarding your previous vows, do nothing. They are recorded already in the deepest caverns of the Rock! ;0

@ The Yak: Thanks for the support my friend! :) worry not - I got the situation under control... You'll be blind on a day-to-day basis as the front page is irrelevant but there will be a new update of Wednesday. And i'll be around offering data here and there... ;)

@ deathspectersgt7: That's the spirit - keep doing the work and have no fear: the Master of Recruits is here!!! :lol:

=][= TWELVETH WEEKLY UPDATE =][=

Last week boys and girls, wrap it up! Remember IF YOU FAIL IN YOUR SECOND OR ANY SUBSEQUENT VOW THEN ALL PREVIOUS VOWS ARE NULLIFIED AND COUNT FOR NOTHING. So make sure to complete so we do not have any last minute disappointment!

Well this week was plagued with the site’s downtime that resulted in the loss of all evidence of progress from the end of week 8 onwards. Although the lost data was unfortunate and broke up the visual continuity of the event it has also affected the transparency that I worked hard to maintain. So now the first page in each Strategium will remain what is was in July 12th until (hopefully) the data will be recovered.

The good news is that the data is preserved in my private records and you can see the situation as it is now in the table below. This is the last weekly update as the next time I’ll update you will be through the much more detailed Final Report.

So the message is clear, keep reporting your completions – everything you do is registered and will show in detail in the final report! Do not get disheartened by the loss of data – keep to your painting and support your faction, because the ETL is very much alive and kicking!

So wrap it up, complete any outstanding vows and get ready for the final sprint to the finish line!

E TENEBRAE LUX II – Week 12
Black Templars [56] 76 59,927 789 15,707 26.2%
Blood Angels [38] 57 42,877 752 14,482 33.8%
Dark Angels [63] 105 75,831 722 31,048 40.9%
Codex Chapters [62] 88 61,069 694 17,431 28.5%
Space Wolves [39] 51 39,162 768 11,273 28.8%
Chaos Legios [48] 71 45,875 646 12,244 26.7%
Vive Imperium [27] 34 29,212 859 10,666 36.5%
Horus Heresy [16] 18 15,299 850 2,211 14.5%
Total [350] 500 369,252 739 115,062 31.2%

BLACK TEMPLARS
Well, with 15.7k pts the BTs are now in third position. Let’s face it, 15k-16k pts is not that dramatic. Last year, by the end of week 12, you had 26k pts and a completion rate 55%! But a low completion rate also means potential. You have more than 40k pts locked in the unfinished first vows. Half of them are enough to give you victory! So mobilise now and emulate last year’s brilliant performance! Nothing is there to stop you!

BLOOD ANGELS
After a fantastic week 11, this week was considerable less so. With just above 1k worth of completions, you still manage to be close to the BTs and even the Codex faction but this is the time of truth: Make a spectacular finish and you are positioned for the ultimate success. Stop to make a second thought and you’ll just have no time to rectify the situation. Onwards Sons of Sanguinius!

DARK ANGELS
Lack of fatigue continues unabated. With more points added than any other week (5k+), the DAs are still leading the event by a large margin. However fatigue is an insidious monster and may show up when least expected. If this happens the distance with their more prominent rivals might close the gap with 5-6 completions and then anything goes…

CODEX CHAPTERS
The Codex faction added another 2.8k pts to their total and continued to retain the second position albeit by a slim margin. The LAs has been livelier last week with some completions but also a number of updates so one can only expect that last week we’ll see some further long awaited completions. IAs remains the biggest contributor in absolute terms but the UMs show some of the highest completion rates of the ETL at 36%! But let’s face it. Not even that is enough. We’re talking completion rates of well above 50% if you are to pose a threat the DAs. Funnily enough, this is not such a distant possibility. If the super-vows make an appearance the rest of the faction will have a much easier job to do. So you want to become Primus Inter Pares? Let’s see if you got what it takes!

SPACE WOLVES
Following a week with no completions the SWs made a timid advance adding less than 1k to their total. I have to say guys, you’re in a dangerous position to be overwhelmed by the Vive and end-up last. I think you can do much better. Looking up in the rankings, you’re more or less 1kpts behind Chaos and 3kpts behind the BAs. All you need to do is a glorious last stand and propel yourselves in the rankings as high as possible. With a completion rate of less than 30% you got tremendous potential!

CHAOS LEGIOS
Well I’m getting the feeling that we are in front of an explosion waiting to happen! 27% completion rate means tons of unpainted Eye of Terror residents waiting to make an appearance. The historically low average vow means more manageable projects so the short time remaining can be viewed as an advantage! But keep your focus – you need completions and you need them fast. There is no room for manoeuvre now… As an aside the followers of Khorne have the highest completion rate among all followers of the Dark Gods (54%) but the most completions come from the supporters of Chaos Undivided (5.6k) – which however have the lowest completion rate (19%). So is there going to be an explosion?

VIVE IMPERIUM
The Vive is certainly running out of steam. With 185pts completed in two weeks it seems they run out of tricks. The IG is still the biggest contributor so far and they still have some aces up their sleeve. Will they be able to pull through and secure much needed points to the Vive faction? The GKs also have a number of options still available to them, if only their brothers make a last minute show! Which leaves the elephant in the room… SOBs WHERE ARE YOU??? If the Sisters show up then the fortunes of war will change significantly for the Vive taking the strain away from the other forums. And there is a mini-Titan out there too…

HORUS HERESY
Given the recent updates, I confident of one thing: The HH forum really takes care or their minis – the entire group offers extremely high quality results and the last week will undoubtedly lift their completion rate to the sky! Stay tuned brothers, you may surprise us yet!

Archived