Dread Legion of The Warmaster - Sons of Horus dev blog

Soraf

I wanted to do a Sons of Horus force that takes some inspiration from the collected visions art.

To that end, all of the conversion and painting I do will be collated in this thread.

Since its an ongoing WIP most of my stuff will be posted in a stepwise fashion.

Hope you see some cool stuff!

Heres what i've been working on so far:

http://imageshack.us/a/img153/2156/tfslowerlimb.jpg

- lower torso structural work

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/4121/img0145oe.jpg

- full body

Basically a re-purposed Death Guard contemptor (hurry up FW and release the official one!)

• 1 month later...
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/3865/kyq7.jpg

Finally got around to painting this guy. I ordered Justaerin termies, Abaddon/Loken and a Volkite Support team which should be arriving hopefully within the month.

I know the image quality isn't the best, but i'm happy with how the green turned out, this is the first model i've painted since i was a kid so i'm pretty glad that its not a total mess. That said, i think future Sons of Horus will have better paint jobs now that im more familiar with the process.

Awesome! Love the sculpting work on the Contemptor. Great to see more XVIth Legion blogs popping up. I know what you mean about wanting FW to release their stuff that was previewed a while back. I think the work you've done on your dread here will make it look right at home alongside the 'official' one that's eventually released. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. I'm going to have to get a move on with my own Sons of Horus now I'd seen this thread. 

For the Warmaster!

I like him, but has he no arms?!

What else you planning?

Yeah the arms will be coming with the other goodies, its all going to be magnetized when it gets here! 

Theres the 10 justaerin, abaddon, loken and the volkite support squad coming in, and i should get their transports whenever i have the money for it!

Apart from that, i've been brainstorming ideas for Word Bearers, i want to experiment with the appearance of Tamiya Clear Red over a silver undercoat because i think thats how FW do theirs, will probably wait for massacre before coming up with any ideas haha

Awesome! Love the sculpting work on the Contemptor. Great to see more XVIth Legion blogs popping up. I know what you mean about wanting FW to release their stuff that was previewed a while back. I think the work you've done on your dread here will make it look right at home alongside the 'official' one that's eventually released. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. I'm going to have to get a move on with my own Sons of Horus now I'd seen this thread. 

For the Warmaster!

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, i'm also glad, the more SoH stuff out there the more inspiration we can get off each other... I can't wait for the reavers and legion dread to come out, i'm really holding out for them!

The work on this dread was heavily influenced by the concept art for the official one and some of the stuff from collected visions. I'm especially pleased with how the lodge icon on his torso turned out! Can't wait to do conversions on the MKIV suits i have coming in....for Lupercal!

1. Black Primer

2. Basecoat of Vallejo Model Colour 70.920 German Uniform (085)

3. Wash in undiluted Coelia Greenshade

4. Go over the un-recessed areas of the model with more German Uniform
5. Wash with heavily diluted Coelia Greenshade (1:1 ratio of solvent:wash) 

I'm not quite sure if step 5 is totally necessary to be honest, when step 4 was done, it didnt have *as much* sea-green look to it so step 5 was like an after-thought. The green itself is a really strange solution to work with, on the pallete the colour shifts from the a dark aqua green to grey-ish even and dries somewhere in between the two. I've tested this with two thinners (distilled water and vallejo thinner medium) and it behaves the same.

So much awesome in this thread Soraf. Awesome.

Thanks man!

Diggin the Lodge Sergeant. Very fitting. thumbsup.gif

He may be my favourite out of the whole bunch so far!

Shaping up really nicely! I'm sure the camera may be washing it out - but a few more highlights on that bad boy would really make him pop!

I agree with your assessment, will refine the dread further once i finish the first batch of justaerin wooo

I'd love to have you join my istvaan v thread your models are inspiring

Sounds good, I'll post my stuff on there gradually as it is completed. I guess I can take the oath for the Sons of Horus and Word Bearers, they're the two legions i'm interested in at the moment :)

Update 4:

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/2127/txy.JPG

One of the Caliver marines from the squad attached to that Lodge Sergeant, chest ornamentation is incomplete and the breather apparatus on his mask requires a bit more adjustment. Excuse the crappy image resolution :P

Love where you're going with these. The Sergeant wub.png

I think once you paint him you're not even going to tell the difference between him and the real FW stuff it's really that good. The Palatine Blades were recently released which means the Reavers are coming soon, right? Right............???

I find it really cool and scarily strange that FW and your good self are creating models of the exact images I have in my head for the XVIth. There's obvious inspiration from Collected Visions and there's also the recent concept art, but yea, your stuff and FW's is just so awesomely perfect man. It's just what the Legion needs. A paint job should not be the only thing telling squads from two different Legions apart. I hope FW continues to make Legion specific upgrade sets.

OT- where are you based?

Love where you're going with these. The Sergeant wub.png

I think once you paint him you're not even going to tell the difference between him and the real FW stuff it's really that good. The Palatine Blades were recently released which means the Reavers are coming soon, right? Right............???

I find it really cool and scarily strange that FW and your good self are creating models of the exact images I have in my head for the XVIth. There's obvious inspiration from Collected Visions and there's also the recent concept art, but yea, your stuff and FW's is just so awesomely perfect man. It's just what the Legion needs. A paint job should not be the only thing telling squads from two different Legions apart. I hope FW continues to make Legion specific upgrade sets.

OT- where are you based?

Thanks, i'm pretty happy with him myself!

I wish FW would at least give a rough schedule of how they will be doing future releases, it helps to put a project into perspective by knowing when things will be coming out....hopefully the SoH get some love in the update this week!

Haha thanks for the compliments, the SoH have a really specific iconography which makes it a bit easier to brainstorm ideas for ^^. I also agree that legions should be defined by more than just their colour, FW will definitely be doing legion-specific models, but its also good to do some conversion for the regular troops too haha.

Based in Australia

Archived