Sons of Mortarion - Pre Heresy Death Guard

Finished up the Cataphractii after another round of procrastination. Pleased with the finish on these, particularly the heat discolouration on the plasma barrels, even if it doesn't translate well in the pics.

Now to decide what to do next. The sensible, army building part of me thinks another Troop selection is in order, in the form of a Breacher Squad. The slightly less rational part is thinking a Contemptor. Not really sure ......

Your terminators are fantastic - love the battle wear and the metallics highlighting... I know what you mean about difficult choices - I'd like a contemptor or maybe bike squad next, but I haven't even finished a 10-man tac squad :/

Look forward to seeing whatever you choose!

Cheers fellas ;)

Wish they had a little praying emoji to express my undying devotion to your skill with a brush. Truly epic dude. 

The Sergeant's sword is very cool, would you be able to briefly describe how you achieved that true-lighting reflection effect?

I'll be the first to admit it's something im still learning myself, but taking some swords out into the sun and seeing how the light reflected on them was a massive help. From what i've gathered, it's almost as if your highlighting in reverse - at first thought you'd expect the brighter colours towards the top but in reality it's the darker colours, while on the side of the blade thats away from the light, the opposite is true. Well, thats my cack handed way of explaining it anyway.

This tutorial is worth a look regarding the application of paint in relation to shadows etc.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/tutorial-nmm-blue-force-weapons.html

As for the actual paint involved, the blade was basecoated with Boltgun Metal first, then the shadows were added by adding black to Boltgun then pushing multiple thin coats down towards the deepest parts of the shadow from around halfway along the blade. The highlights started off with thinned Chainmail, pushing the paint towards the furthest point of the highlight, then I did the same with Mithril Silver in smaller amounts. The last step was adding a final blended highlight using Vallejo Model Air Steel and highlighting the edges of the blade. Sounds like a lot of work but I probably only spent 10 mins on that blade. The blends are a bit rough but using this technique with metallics is more forgiving than doing it NMM style.

I'll be the first to admit it's something im still learning myself, but taking some swords out into the sun and seeing how the light reflected on them was a massive help. From what i've gathered, it's almost as if your highlighting in reverse - at first thought you'd expect the brighter colours towards the top but in reality it's the darker colours, while on the side of the blade thats away from the light, the opposite is true. Well, thats my cack handed way of explaining it anyway.

This tutorial is worth a look regarding the application of paint in relation to shadows etc.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/tutorial-nmm-blue-force-weapons.html

As for the actual paint involved, the blade was basecoated with Boltgun Metal first, then the shadows were added by adding black to Boltgun then pushing multiple thin coats down towards the deepest parts of the shadow from around halfway along the blade. The highlights started off with thinned Chainmail, pushing the paint towards the furthest point of the highlight, then I did the same with Mithril Silver in smaller amounts. The last step was adding a final blended highlight using Vallejo Model Air Steel and highlighting the edges of the blade. Sounds like a lot of work but I probably only spent 10 mins on that blade. The blends are a bit rough but using this technique with metallics is more forgiving than doing it NMM style.

Awesome, thanks for explaining. I'll start practicing with what I've got. :)

No worries ;)

Spent the last couple of days building the first half of the Breacher squad and slapping a few basecoats on. Going for some variation in the colour placement across the force so these guys are going with green rims on the shoulder pads and most of the gold going on the shields. Im hoping everything comes together with the highlighting.

the termies have come out really nicely and im looking forward to the boarding marines.. mine are currently sitting half assembled in a box.

you looking forward to the new DG units? im hoping theyll tide me over until Mortarion finally emerges from the shadows..

Cheers fellas.

@Lorenzen - im always hoping for new Death Guard units ;) I've got a unit of Deathshroud that will be getting some attention at some stage but i'd love to see a Destroyer unit or similar to emphasize the use of chemical/biological weapons with the DG. If worst comes to worst i've got a 10 man support squad with chem-flamers to paint too.....

• 6 months later...

Hmm, nothing since september eh? Sounds about right as that was when the weather started turning bad. Bit of a pain as I rely on spray cans for basecoats and varnishes for these guys, i've not got the room for using an airbrush.

For those wondering the Breachers above have been finished, i'll get some shots when the rest are done. Which moves me nicely into what im working on next - the rest of the Breacher unit including special weapons and command elements and a unit of Grave Wardens. Might even do Typhon after that.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/6%20-%20Pre-Heresy%20Death%20Guard/WardensampBreachers_zps19bdea10.jpg~original

Great to have you back! Are you thinking about any of those fancy new DG parts to add to your force?

Cheers Pyro. I've been looking at the new parts with an eye to a Vet squad somewhere down the line, possibly even a Destroyer squad.

Can't believe I've missed this before. I think they look superb and you have made me want to repaint mine. Got them second hand but the Cataphractii just look so right like that!

Thanks Chaeron ;)

Got the Grave Wardens assembled last night, was thinking about saving them until after the Breachers were done but I can't resist, easily some of my favourite Legion figures. If I was going to do another 40k Death Guard force i'd be converting a unit of these without a second thought. Im going to need to convert one at some point though, im thinking a Siege Breaker might be a worth candidate for Warden modified Cataphractii plate.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/6%20-%20Pre-Heresy%20Death%20Guard/GraveWardens1_zps9fd0155d.jpg~original

I really like your work. I think the level tear and wear is fine both on an individual level and for the unit as a whole.

The Wardens are indeed some of the best minis in the entire HH range so I can't wait to see your take on them. :tu:

The Breachers can wait, although these too are great minis...

Followed!

Cheers guys ;)

Darth - the heads are separate pieces that end just underneath the nose, not a full head im afraid. Shame as they're quite nice.

The undercoat has been sprayed now so they've got some nice grey shading in the recesses with the white over the top in a very rough zenithal fashion. Next will be some basecoats and another picture.

Archived